The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 June 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
jaxawild
"TRF" Member

WILSDORF & DAVIS LUSITANIA 9K POCKET WATCH c1908

Hi,
I have found your site to be very informative & i was wondering if you could help me.I have aquired a Wilsdorf & Davis 9ct gold pocket watch.It is hallmarked for London 1908 & it is clearly stamped on the movement Lusitania.
Is it possible that this watch was purchased on board the Lusitania?
Did W&D Rolex supply any goods to Cunard for sale on board this vessel?

This watch has been fully serviced & it is in a near mint condition.I have added a some photos of this piece & any help or info that you have regarding this watch would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.

jaxawild

jaxawild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Hi there, welcome aboard!

As I'm sure you've already found out, there isn't much information or documentation of these early W&D watches.

http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?p=39090

The movement looks more like an early Omega than a Hermann Aegler, who supplied W&D with most of their movements in that era. Is that a stem wind, stem set movement? Most from Aegler were stem wind, pin set.

Something you might want to follow up on is that the movement might not have been stamped with a reference to the ship Lusitania, but the region of Portugal formerly known by that name.

Fwiw, here are a couple of pix of my own 1908 hallmarked W&D, this one in silver and just finished a complete restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W&D 001.jpg (55.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg W&D 006.jpg (85.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Movement side after.jpg (55.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Top Side a.jpg (68.2 KB, 95 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2009, 02:47 AM   #3
jaxawild
"TRF" Member

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.It is stem wind/stem set & it has negative set winding system.I am sure that this movement was not manufactured by Omega,although the layout is quite similar.I think that the case was made in England & maybe the dial also.I have a Rolex Falcon silver hunter from 1920 with a similar acid etched movement,which looks to have been made by the same company.I am quite busy at the moment,but when i get a chance,i will take some pics of the Falcon & let you guys have a look to see if that can get us any nearer the maker of this movement.It is a real shame,as i was hoping that this was linked to the Lusitania,as obviously then it would be worth big bucks.Cheers.

jaxawild
jaxawild is offline   Reply With Quote