The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 July 2009, 09:41 PM   #1
smace
"TRF" Member

Newbe needs advice

Received from my father's estate. GMT 6542 w/ jubilee bracelet. Local jeweler states the watch is '56 or '57. How can I determine the exact year and its present value?
smace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
mghcal
"TRF" Member

I think that there should be a date on the inside of the caseback. Can you post pictures of your watch please? You might also check the serial number to get a guess of the watches date. Does it have a bakelite bezel? If so then it is quite a rare watch and worth a pretty substantial amount. You'll need to post pictures so people can give you an idea of it's value. With a good bakelite bezel with no cracks it could be worth up to $30,000 and most likely even more. The bakelite is extremely fragile so try to be careful! A simple hit on something or a slight drop on a table is enough to cause a crack from what I've read.
mghcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2009, 11:36 PM   #3
onkyo
Banned

Please post some high quality pics and people here can help.

What's the serial?
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 08:08 AM   #4
smace
"TRF" Member

I'll get pics up later this evening. In the meantime, no, no bezel (drat). The serial # is 426961. Appreciate the help.
Old 3 July 2009, 09:25 AM   #5
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace View Post
I'll get pics up later this evening. In the meantime, no, no bezel (drat). The serial # is 426961. Appreciate the help.
Puts it about 58-59ish. Certainly in the range of a 6542. Please post a photo or two.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 10:26 AM   #6
smace
"TRF" Member

Pictures of Rolex GMT Master 6542

Hello,

Per a few requests today, please comment on these images of our GMT. Thank you again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex GMT Master face.jpg (77.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex Band.jpg (65.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Rolex GMT Master face 2.jpg (85.1 KB, 116 views)
Old 3 July 2009, 11:43 AM   #7
lobo58

Watch: Omega Planet Ocean
Couple of thoughts (and the pros here will correct me). Is the bezel missing?
Was Jubilee bracelet standard? (That bracelet is pretty beat).

Other than that, that is one happening watch! Talk to one of the Rolex restorers here.
lobo58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

Well,....at the very best the dial has been refinished. It's not a very good job.

The hands have been replaced--I'd guess aftermarket. The jubliee was long after the reference.

Here are a few examples,

NOTE: These are NOT my photos.
Old 3 July 2009, 05:26 PM   #9
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I agree with Mike, the dial has been redone...poorly. There are several directions you can go with this watch, ask yourself how much you are willing to spend and proceed from there. Parts are available for this watch, but they are not going to be cheap.
Scott

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2009, 09:35 PM   #10
smace
"TRF" Member

I appreciate all of your comments. Can anyone ballpark for us what it would cost to properly restore our watch vs. what its resale value could be v. its present value?

If I understand and take as fact what advice is given so far, we would have to:
- Purchase original bezel
- Refinish dial
- Purchase original hands
- Purchase original bracelet

Who performs the authorized work?

Thanks again!
Old 3 July 2009, 11:14 PM   #11
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace View Post
I appreciate all of your comments. Can anyone ballpark for us what it would cost to properly restore our watch vs. what its resale value could be v. its present value?

If I understand and take as fact what advice is given so far, we would have to:
- Purchase original bezel
- Refinish dial
- Purchase original hands
- Purchase original bracelet

Who performs the authorized work?

Thanks again!
Boy, that's tough. Current value will rest with the case (condition, caseback, etc...) and movement (assuming all correct and no aftermarket parts).

Hard to teel at all without very detailed scans.

I would think before entering into any restoration project ask what do you want the end result to be?

Restoring the watch to original condition will be, as Scott, expensive and tedious, but given enough work could be done.

To answer your questions and if I may present some options let's look at each one separately.

Let me start by saying I'm NOT a watch maker and would defer to the expert makers here and to those that deal in parts as to availability and cost.

That said, collectors will in the main look at the dial preference as follows:

1. Original. This would be a radium based gilt dial marked "SWISS" with enclosed minute ring and marked OCC--Oficially Certified Chronometer.

The best you're going to find is a period correct dial marked as such and the cost will be a good four figures.

2. Service replacement. White writing still marked OCC, these will reflect the move to tritium and carry a "SWISS T<25" marking at the bottom. Again pricing will be in the four figure range.

3. Refinished. For a collector not the best option, but if the watch is to be kept in the family and has setimential value something to consider--provided the work is done by a true expert.

NOTE: the use of a latter 1675 dial will not work. The 6542 dial does not have dial "feet" but rather snaps on via the date window.

Bezel and Insert. The Bakelite insert which was probably original will be very hard to find and be mega expensive (think many thousands). Additionaly there was a reason Rolex moved quickly to replace those already in the system--they were fragile. Many collectors fortunate enough to have one in pristine condition won't wear them for fear of breakage.

The later service replacement RED/BLUE metal is fine (cheaper) and lot less worry.

The bezel itself is unique to the GMT reference and again expensive, but can be had.

Hands. They're out there. I've seen pricing range from $350 to well over $600 USD. Must have a small 24 hour hand.

Bracelet. Original equiment would have been riveted-7206-. Pricing can be all over the map depending on condition from $400 to over 1K USD.

Value. I'm always reluctant to get to deep into value because without seeing more of the watch I could be so wrong.

I do know that in correct condition the 6542 is one of the collector's grails with pricing in the 30 to 60K and more if all original, correct, and in pristine condition....add more with Box and Paper and all the bits.

I would at a start contact the gentleman here for advice and help.

http://www.watchmakers.com/index.html

Bob is recognized by the vintage community and does magic. He along with other expert makers is a member of this forum.

Good luck!!
Old 3 July 2009, 11:44 PM   #12
mike
"TRF" Member

smace, let also add another dial option I stupidly omitted in one of my senior moments.

There was a period of time where Rolex issued a recall on Radium dials out of concern about radition. These dials were replaced with gilt/gloss dials also marked "SWISS" but using the safer tritium compound.---a much cheaper option and absolutely correct.

Documentation--credit JAMES DOWLING

Look at the original price of the reference.

The gloss/gilt dial was used after the recall.
Old 4 July 2009, 10:40 AM   #13
Clay
Banned

Mike,
You are the man......
Cheers,
C
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2009, 07:07 PM   #14
smace
"TRF" Member

Right on gentlemen!

In a couple of days we've gathered a tremendous amount of information through this forum and cannot thank you enough. I reckon you've heard it before but we are fortunate to have located a community that is passionate and committed to sharing information. We know this forum helps to keep the streets clean but, you all have made us feel welcome.

Ball is in our court.
Old 5 July 2009, 12:12 AM   #15
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
Smace, best of luck and please keep us posted on your next move.

Mike, as always, great info provided. Thanks for the lesson.