The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 December 2017, 12:40 AM   #31
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I’d love to know how many people have gone out one day with the intention of buying a Rolex sports piece and become so disillusioned with the lack of stock that they ended up with a Tudor / PP / AP / Panerai / Omega / Breitling / whatever instead.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:46 AM   #32
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I’d love to know how many people have gone out one day with the intention of buying a Rolex sports piece and become so disillusioned with the lack of stock that they ended up with a Tudor / PP / AP / Panerai / Omega / Breitling / whatever instead.
What happens is other watches that are on their list gets bumped up and actually purchased and the Rolex goes into a “next watch” purchase position down the road. One of the traits of luxury purchases is lack of patience. It’s the ...”We got money and we want it yesterday.” For us WIS, we play watch purchases like a carfully planned chess match. Rolex because it’s so well known by pedestrian standards will attracts allot of money without patience and those are the customers that will buy other brands. They want a new luxury watch today, not on a 6 month waiting list.
Old 19 December 2017, 01:15 AM   #33
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
I was in NYC last year for chanukah /Christmas, stopped at wempe and the rolex selection was impressive, I was looking at the Deepsea but my cousin ((very big man), wanted a IWC Big pilot 50, I didn't care for it but than saw the 48 and we both fell in love, Helmut and Sophie where able to locate two for us (extremely hard task for a numbered watch), so we bought both as a memory from our union in NYC:) a year later, I did get also the Deep Blue:), BTW, Sophie is gone, Helmut is not there.... Not the same:(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:13 AM   #34
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Wempe and Rolex boutique in midtown Manhattan have zilch as of today. Compared to last year this time, it's amazing. Plenty of PM sports, DD and DJ galore tho.... tells you something about either demand or limiting supply to squeeze secondary.
Here is what I was told. Rolex USA puts in a one time yearly order for x number of units. As do other wholesale distributers in other countries. When those units are sold no more units until the next order cycle. Been told they had a better year than they budgeted units for. It is apparently that simple, no shortage or production cuts just no production increases as manufacturing facilities at max production. Or so the story goes.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:39 AM   #35
Zedder
"TRF" Member

I’ve been a manufacturing exec for 25 years and have worked in many different industries. I don’t believe the conspiracy theories. I think it is as simple as demand was greater this year than expected and they are experiencing a shortage of supply temporarily. I am sure they are ramping up production right now and things will be better soon. No business wants to sell less than they can at their target price.
Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:49 AM   #36
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
I’ve been a manufacturing exec for 25 years and have worked in many different industries. I don’t believe the conspiracy theories. I think it is as simple as demand was greater this year than expected and they are experiencing a shortage of supply temporarily. I am sure they are ramping up production right now and things will be better soon. No business wants to sell less than they can at their target price.
I agree 100%.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 03:48 AM   #37
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I would wager this to be correct, anyone buying a 313x movement right now may very well have movement envy next year. Still a fine movement, but no longer latest and greatest.
Does it really matter anyways? Those who rotate their watches wont need the power reserve increase and those who wear one watch will not need it either. Furthermore no one will be able to distinguish a Submariner with the new movement from the old one unless Rolex makes cosmetic changes which i suspect is not happening.

3135.3235.Whatever.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 04:40 AM   #38
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
If the situation described here is true we should expect Rolex to make a few more SS models in the next production run. Even gray prices should come down and we can see even new models for less than MSRP (eg. SD43)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 04:48 AM   #39
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
My AD said they received exactly two SS Daytonas this year. They do have a couple SS subs in their display case (as of a week ago).
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 08:26 AM   #40
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
End of a production batch not renewed to meet demand perhaps to help clear TT and PM inventory which has built up and is more profitable than SS.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 09:11 AM   #41
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
Does it really matter anyways? Those who rotate their watches wont need the power reserve increase and those who wear one watch will not need it either. Furthermore no one will be able to distinguish a Submariner with the new movement from the old one unless Rolex makes cosmetic changes which i suspect is not happening.

3135.3235.Whatever.

My 3135 was more accurate than the new 3235 movement. Slightly overrated if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 09:11 AM   #42
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
My AD said they received exactly two SS Daytonas this year. They do have a couple SS subs in their display case (as of a week ago).

I think every AD says that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 10:23 AM   #43
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss22525 View Post
This is what happening at my local ad ,, anyways iam on the list elsewhere
Fingers crossed for you that it clears soon.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 10:30 AM   #44
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
I doubt that Rolex is particularly nimble at ramping production up and down - and the greater risk for Rolex is that the market slows and they end up producing more than they can sell. Oversupply leads to discounting and devalues the brand while undersupply just means that people wait, pay a premium or choose a DJ or PM piece.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 11:06 AM   #45
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

My AD had every model there was except Daytona 116500. As a matter of fact he asked me if I wanted to order either without deposit and it will take 2-3 months. Actually they had much more SS on display then PM which was unusual.
Runnin' Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 11:50 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
I doubt that Rolex is particularly nimble at ramping production up and down - and the greater risk for Rolex is that the market slows and they end up producing more than they can sell. Oversupply leads to discounting and devalues the brand while undersupply just means that people wait, pay a premium or choose a DJ or PM piece.
Yes, they will def undersupply than over. If demand remains high for the popular SS and looks like it will feed on itself and continue to grow and expand away from other similar brands and indeed other SS Rolexes, thus the problem will remain for a while yet, don't think you will see much difference for the first half of '18; in UK we know how long Rolex can put up with an undersupplied market, and it is not measured in months.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:19 PM   #47
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Maybe the planned trip to Mars is consuming all of the stainless steel supply for the earth base, scaffolding, and spacecraft.
We won’t even be able to afford that with the silly tax plan the Bozos are so eager to pass.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:25 PM   #48
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
This was me recently. But, I'm still buying the Rolex when it becomes available.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 12:33 PM   #49
arjuna.satria
"TRF" Member

Worldwide epidemic it seems. Count myself lucky to get my hands on a LN gmt ii waiting just over a week for resupply at this part of the world.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
arjuna.satria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 01:04 PM   #50
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Here is what I was told. Rolex USA puts in a one time yearly order for x number of units. As do other wholesale distributers in other countries. When those units are sold no more units until the next order cycle. Been told they had a better year than they budgeted units for. It is apparently that simple, no shortage or production cuts just no production increases as manufacturing facilities at max production. Or so the story goes.
Absolutely god damn right. Its that simple.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 01:04 PM   #51
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
I agree 100%.
Seconded and carried.
Old 19 December 2017, 02:04 PM   #52
semi-ambivalent
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Movement change is coming....
Interesting idea. For example, the 3135 is about twenty years old. By all accounts a tremendous calibre but does the new buyer care? All they see is that it's a twenty year old "technology" in their future watch. Rolex does a great job of finessing classic vs. new tech but eventually they have to push things forward. These things are expensive and buyers are much more savvy about what they're paying for than just how shiny is the metal and who climbed Everest and when. I'd welcome the calibre 3255 type of advances in more calibres/refs. It might make me more inclined to shop for a new watch.

A quick edit to respond to a couple posts just above. I really can't believe the Swiss could bungle demand estimates as badly as posts here would seem to indicate. I'd much rather believe they have something special in the works. If not, I can wait. Change has to happen.
semi-ambivalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:31 PM   #53
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
Interesting idea. For example, the 3135 is about twenty years old. By all accounts a tremendous calibre but does the new buyer care? All they see is that it's a twenty year old "technology" in their future watch. Rolex does a great job of finessing classic vs. new tech but eventually they have to push things forward. These things are expensive and buyers are much more savvy about what they're paying for than just how shiny is the metal and who climbed Everest and when. I'd welcome the calibre 3255 type of advances in more calibres/refs. It might make me more inclined to shop for a new watch.

A quick edit to respond to a couple posts just above. I really can't believe the Swiss could bungle demand estimates as badly as posts here would seem to indicate. I'd much rather believe they have something special in the works. If not, I can wait. Change has to happen.
90% of Rolex buyers wouldn't care if the movement was swapped for an ETA or Sellita
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 02:49 PM   #54
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
90% of Rolex buyers wouldn't care if the movement was swapped for an ETA or Sellita
Probably true.
Old 19 December 2017, 03:26 PM   #55
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post

Good points.
However, i'm not convinced that change for the sake of change is a good thing.
I fully accept all the engineering concepts behind the new movements are pivotal to efficiency, but I wonder just how much efficiency is actually required for a watch to be fully functional and convenient.

I believe the now older type of movements are entirely fit for purpose although I suspect the new escapement combined with the older Auto winding mechanism would be my ideal scenario.
I'm not impressed with the way the implementation of the ball bearing rotor arrangement has been executed.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 03:32 PM   #56
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
I'm not so sure.
I think the consumer is fairly well versed in the fact that Rolex have "in house" movements.
And that is part of the appeal of the brand even though they pretty much don't know what they have on their wrist.
They simply like the idea of it all.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 05:58 PM   #57
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Star Ferry??

C'mon.....

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 06:41 PM   #58
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I'm not so sure.
I think the consumer is fairly well versed in the fact that Rolex have "in house" movements.
And that is part of the appeal of the brand even though they pretty much don't know what they have on their wrist.
Star Ferry is right.

We are letting our familiarity with ROLEX cloud the reality that is the average customer that visits an AD to purchase one..

Many of these buyers don't realize that the ROLEX they are ogling doesn't need a new battery every 3yrs.

They just don't have any idea of what they are looking at, except that ROLEX is the best and it's expensive and that having one will provide separation from the plebeians.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 06:45 PM   #59
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I'm not so sure.
If that's the case, it's because marketing and salespeople taught them in-house is important. But if Rolex switched to modified stock movements, the marketing and sales apparatus (including blogs like Hodinkee) would "reeducate" everyone about the benefits of stock movements. Due to cognitive dissonance, even hardcore Rolex fans would start praising Rolex for the change

People buy Panerai and IWC with ETA movements... and Rolex has a much stronger brand, better bracelets, and better overall case finishing. It'd still be a desirable product.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2017, 06:50 PM   #60
The M3 Guy
"TRF" Member

I got on the list in New Zealand in August 2017 for SS date Sub with two people ahead of me, I went in to the official dealers to see how the list was going last week and blow me over still 3rd on the list no deliveries yet.

I was in Hong Kong in November and had a very good look around Nathan road no new SS Date Subs or ceramic Daytona’s and that was the same at the Airport 3 story high display shop
The M3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote