The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2022, 12:50 AM   #1
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6102P CELESTIAL
Rolex OP- Coloured Dials (Modern Stella)

It is avalible in 8 colours and 5 Sizes, meaning odds of AD getting specific colours a needle in a haystack. Let's say for these figures most probs less than a few hundred in each specific size.

ADs, rarely saw 1 or 2 in a specific colour/size for the period of 1.5 years it ran. The shortest ever modern day Rolex. Bear in mind the amount of Rolex collectors/ wealth has increased.

I don't understand why people are complaining about the super inflated prices that they are asking for now at 50k for the Tiffany 41. Indeed yellow and coral are significantly rarer. Check Chrono listings and Instagram tags, you can get a rough idea how rare these are.

Don't forget, Roger Federer has a yellow OP 41, and for Rolex he's our modern day Newman.

For me I see Tiffany is all hoarded by dealers, yellow and coral are/were actually being used. Tiffany being a hype watch because of current market trends on the 5711 Tiffany, but no association since the teal OP arrived before. So I feel the Tiffany will be the real loser in the long run, but will hype things up for the meanwhile. Right now we are in a slow market.

The vintage game, a dial changes the value of a specific watch by several thousands of dollars. Also for vintage, colour is collectible.

People try to look for the next John player special/Newman, now we finally have the modern day equivalent everyone is crying that the market is irrational for Rolex most basic watch.

The yellow OP/CORAL most likely has the chance to be the next Gem esp in 41 a new size. I believe when people start latching on to these and hoarding them the true scarcity will prevail and people will start to realise how rare these are and FOMO.

I do want to hear some opinion from experts here
LewisHamilton#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:12 AM   #2
LoanLOL
"TRF" Member

100% agree with you ! Rolex makes 1M+ watches a year but there are many references, they must not be that many 41 reds, yellows and tiffanies around
LoanLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:18 AM   #3
op41gottacatchemall
"TRF" Member

I got the green and was on register for red and yellow and had a good chance of getting one at least so was gutted when they both got pulled. I convinced my AD I wanted the 'traffic light trio' but I have a lot of history with them
op41gottacatchemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:38 AM   #4
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by op41gottacatchemall View Post
I got the green and was on register for red and yellow and had a good chance of getting one at least so was gutted when they both got pulled. I convinced my AD I wanted the 'traffic light trio' but I have a lot of history with them
The green is very nice, If you got it at retail. You are already holding a gem. Fact its still in production won't make it more easy.. grey for them will just go up.
Everyone wanted/wants to get the set.. I believe grey is high but if you really love one of the colours like yellow or coral. Not a bad time to buy one, I won't bother with Tiffany unless you have big pockets.

Also keep in mind you are buying a rolex gem and not a investment, we can never predict the price. But sure you will have a watch on your wrist im sure you won't see anyone else be wearing. Unlike subs/daytonas.
Old 13 April 2022, 01:38 AM   #5
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
auctioned yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tpg.jpg (171.8 KB, 934 views)
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:50 AM   #6
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
auctioned yesterday.
Thats crazy,

I feel the values are in the yellow and coral. If people can afford to throw this money on OP dial alone, they sure can get the set.
Old 13 April 2022, 04:19 AM   #7
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

How many are in existence is interesting from a collectors perspective, but at the end of the day it’s still just a 3-hand basic watch. Good on you if you own one and love it, I’ve seen a few in the wild and they’re just meh.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:33 AM   #8
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
How many are in existence is interesting from a collectors perspective, but at the end of the day it’s still just a 3-hand basic watch. Good on you if you own one and love it, I’ve seen a few in the wild and they’re just meh.
You have a point that its still a 3 handed basic watch, but then again if you collect Rolex. The colours are special, to say the vintage yellow Stellas, which are crazily priced 200-300k. Theres a significance in rolex history with Stella dials.

Even to me the vintage ones are meh and so are the modern ones, but still a rarity in Rolex catalog.

But if Rolex is a marketing machine they would want these watches to go high, because it will just bring interest into the OP line and change minds, right now everyone say oh its just a 3 hand basic watch.
Old 13 April 2022, 04:42 AM   #9
bwdellorf76
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
The real question is whether Rolex was test marketing these on the OPs to see the level of interest with the end game of putting them on the Day Date in a year or two. Why continue these colors on the OP when they can sell them on a higher margin PM Day Date?
bwdellorf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:51 AM   #10
nr1416
"TRF" Member

I would bet they made less Turquoise OP41s then Pepsis since the OP turquoise came out.

The crazy prices are for 2 reasons, the hype of the Tiffany 5711 and the fact that Rolex didn't make many of them compared to other models in their lineup.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 05:04 AM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
And what about the simple steel 5711, how many hands does it have?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 05:18 AM   #12
Klendo
"TRF" Member

Would you trade a coral red 41 for a blro if you got the coral red at retail?
Klendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 05:22 AM   #13
Lightsped
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub, OP41, DJ x 4
Green here as well. Bought mine in 2021 before price was as high now. It was kind of a random purchase. Not highly planned. This watch has become one of my most worn Rolexes. Its one of my favorites for sure. Love the shade of green on this dial.

I've never sold a watch and don't plan too. Still, can't help but wonder if green value will go up or down, or stay the same....?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210927_160745.jpg (216.1 KB, 773 views)
Lightsped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 05:37 AM   #14
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
OP 41 "Tifanny" has only 53 listed on Chrono24. Not many when compared to the other hyped models that are listed in the hundreds.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 07:04 AM   #15
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 07:09 AM   #16
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klendo View Post
Would you trade a coral red 41 for a blro if you got the coral red at retail?
No.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 07:13 AM   #17
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
OP 41 "Tifanny" has only 53 listed on Chrono24. Not many when compared to the other hyped models that are listed in the hundreds.
And about half that number of coral 41s.

Considering the coral and yellow just got discontinued there really must be not many of them out there.
drrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 07:17 AM   #18
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I really wanted the Coral Red, but I guess I won’t be able to to get one now. Oh well.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 07:25 AM   #19
Rock Strongo
Banned

Watch: Yes
I remember when the Tiffany quickly rose to 14k on the gray market and people were freaking out. Should have bought the lot. ��
Rock Strongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 07:51 AM   #20
TheWatchmen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post

Same rule applies, it’s not that special.
TheWatchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 10:12 AM   #21
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Hope you're right. Not going to lie i was chuffed to see the yellow discontinued. I've had one for over a year and like you say OP it was purchased to wear.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 10:33 AM   #22
askdanny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Clock on my A330
I got the coral red (36mm) in March just before it was discontinued. Better be lucky than good, I guess. But now I'm not wearing it. And with my wife's OP, we are definitely ready for the beach... I'll probably sell my red OP... I'm just too hard on my watches and the red OP stands to lose too much value if I use it... I'm almost disappointed it was discontinued. The Rolex curse.

Old 13 April 2022, 12:14 PM   #23
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post
I got the coral red (36mm) in March just before it was discontinued. Better be lucky than good, I guess. But now I'm not wearing it. And with my wife's OP, we are definitely ready for the beach... I'll probably sell my red OP... I'm just too hard on my watches and the red OP stands to lose too much value if I use it... I'm almost disappointed it was discontinued. The Rolex curse.

I wouldn't rush to sell it, unless you really want to buy another watch. You bought this watch at retail. Its one of these watches that yes, wow you made good money on it, but its a rarity now its discontinued. Honestly in years to come you are holding a gem. But if you aren't really low on $, wear it, enjoy it you basically have a watch that nobody on the street will have.
Old 13 April 2022, 12:14 PM   #24
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
Hope you're right. Not going to lie i was chuffed to see the yellow discontinued. I've had one for over a year and like you say OP it was purchased to wear.
Beautiful, wear it well.
Old 13 April 2022, 12:48 PM   #25
GT23
"TRF" Member

I can’t love these Oyster Perpetual colored dials more as I can’t possibly get any Day Date stellar dials in today’s market (way way beyond my affordability). I had been searching for a good condition DD stellar for many years; either too high the price or incomplete set/dial swopped or frankened watch etc.

Thus when this entry Rolex pieces were launched in Sep 2020, I tried my very best to get them all thru various ADs. Extremely fortunate to be allocated in Sep 2020 (turquoise) and Mar 2022 (yellow). Bought the coral red on that eventful day thru a grey dealer immediately when I got to know it’s struck off the list. All the SAs lamented these pieces are really hard to come by in the size I’m after; easier to see a Pepsi/Batman/Rootbeer/Cermit incoming then these.

I am looking forward to see the dials age nicely (fingers crossed) and one day they shall be on my sons’ wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 01:39 PM   #26
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I've told this story before but it bears repeating here. I got to see all of the new OP lineup at an AD trunk show in September 2020. I was immediately enamoured with the red and yellow 41's. Texted my SA the next morning and told him I would like either in that order.
Just a few weeks later he called to offer a Coral Red. I went in to see and hold it again but reluctantly had to pass. Two days earlier I had bought a $12K mountainbike and my fun money account needed to be refilled before another big purchase. He told me just to let him know when I was ready and he'd get me another.
Early 2021 he told me their OP incomings were going to be short for the year, they were promised only 28 41's total of ALL colors. I got a retirement offer in April and by August was moving out of state to start a new chapter. After settling in I called him and asked again for one. Saw him over Christmas and he said they were definitely in short supply and he had to juggle with the other 5 SA's and their clients too. A couple weeks into February of this year he texts me saying he has something red and shiny for me and they would ship it to me. Both of us were very surprised to see them dropped a month later. I never asked directly but I'm guessing they got very few and I'm pretty sure I got the last one they received.
I love red. The watch is a whimsical break from the usually very conservative Rolex philosophy. It's relatively inexpensive but the quality is everything you expect from the Crown. I am wearing it in rotation with my other watches, it went mountainbiking with me today. I am thrilled to have this unicorn but I am using it as the fun watch I wanted, it will never be a safe queen. We'll never know why for sure they did this abruptly short run, I'm just happy I got it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F411ADBF-DAAF-4364-9949-45A54B4A55EF.jpeg (197.7 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpeg B26CEDA0-2ABC-4044-AC84-B1A63D5C53C0.jpeg (200.6 KB, 477 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 03:30 PM   #27
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by askdanny View Post

i agree someone just said, you should enjoy wearing it because life is short. even the watch got beat up through the years, you can take it to the RSC to polish the case, replace the bezel and the bracelet. and it would still sell at a very good price.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:21 PM   #28
mdl25
Banned

I absolutely love my yellow 41. The color drips with saturation, feels almost liquid. Got the call a couple days before, and actually picked it up the day after it was discontinued .

mdl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2022, 04:54 PM   #29
LewisHamilton#2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
i agree someone just said, you should enjoy wearing it because life is short. even the watch got beat up through the years, you can take it to the RSC to polish the case, replace the bezel and the bracelet. and it would still sell at a very good price.
I was reluctant with my Daytona, I bought it grey. But now I beat it several times clasp will be replaced when service. I wear it daily, and love it more that I dont worry about it so much anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl25 View Post

I absolutely love my yellow 41. The color drips with saturation, feels almost liquid. Got the call a couple days before, and actually picked it up the day after it was discontinued .

The colour is perfect, great way to brighten your day. With a story like that it will be hard to let go of the watch.
Old 13 April 2022, 05:33 PM   #30
grimps
"TRF" Member

I was very lucky to finally collect mine from my local AD last week after a long wait
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yellow op.jpg (72.2 KB, 393 views)
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote