The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2022, 01:37 PM   #1
Time Out
Banned

Are regular people really paying 30k+ for BLRO's ?

Has anyone here done it and willing to admit it ? I am absolutely loving mine to death but it just seems out of control. How high do people think they will go ?
Time Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 01:45 PM   #2
rolexpure
Banned

They are already dropping. I dont think many ppl are willing to pay $30k for a SS BLRO.

There is a slowdown on watches at the moment. Price drops across the board.

I reckon the SS BLRO will settle around $25k in the next several months.
rolexpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 01:48 PM   #3
LSGG
Banned

I know 5-10 people with that watch, and not one of them paid over retail price.

It's not worth 30k, try and sell it and you'll see what it's really worth.
LSGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 01:54 PM   #4
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Very few of my close friends are “watch guys” but they know I am. Occasional comments about the “market” prices of Rolex result in laughter or eye rolls. I think relatively few people actually pay the inflated prices. They’re already expensive at MSRP, I have never wanted one enough to pay more.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 02:05 PM   #5
Time Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGG View Post
I know 5-10 people with that watch, and not one of them paid over retail price.

I agree, retail or nothing. I'm not selling mine but I was clicking around and seen some pretty eye watering prices for it.
Old 15 April 2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSGG View Post
Can't say if sellers are lying to artificially inflate the market but I've seen a few posted in Canada in the $40k +/- $2k range this year that went quickly.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 02:14 PM   #7
Time Out
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Can't say if sellers are lying to artificially inflate the market but I've seen a few posted in Canada in the $40k +/- $2k range this year that went quickly.
Nuts. I cant wait for the values to tank. Its going to be funny watching all the speculators rush the exits.
Old 15 April 2022, 02:21 PM   #8
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
The people paying those prices would either not be on this forum, or would not admit to it here because they will get jumped on, so you will most certainly get the answer you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 02:33 PM   #9
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

I bought my BLRO a reputable trusted grey dealer in 2019. No regrets and no wasted time or energy at the AD. 24 hours the watch was on my wrist. No shame. I get some retail pieces and go grey as well.

A comment above, someone suggested people don't pay the "inflated" prices....well people really do. Not all, but there is a large number who do. The grey market is very, very real.

IE: Some choose to build relationships with investors, not AD's.
Old 15 April 2022, 02:35 PM   #10
robertengel
"TRF" Member

It is not just the watch market its all of luxury and even cars and property, will it last forever? No. Are chrono prices a reach. Yes. Are people currently negotiating off half the price of the chrono prices? No.

All in all MSRP prices may not return for a very very long time unless something incredibly bad happens.
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 02:41 PM   #11
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertengel View Post
It is not just the watch market its all of luxury and even cars and property, will it last forever? No. Are chrono prices a reach. Yes. Are people currently negotiating off half the price of the chrono prices? No.

All in all MSRP prices may not return for a very very long time unless something incredibly bad happens.
AP has removed prices off their website. No longer MSRP prices. They set the price.

This has turned into a primary/secondary asset class for a lot of enthusiasts, especially in the past recent years. Anyone who is buying a Rolex knows when they buy a Rolex, Patek or AP, whether at "retail" or "market price", they are getting a tangible asset. No matter if they buy what they like or buy a "hot" piece.
Old 15 April 2022, 02:47 PM   #12
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldnlivin View Post
AP has removed prices off their website. No longer MSRP prices. They set the price.

This has turned into a primary/secondary asset class for a lot of enthusiasts, especially in the past recent years. Anyone who is buying a Rolex knows when they buy a Rolex, Patek or AP, whether at "retail" or "market price", they are getting a tangible asset. No matter if they buy what they like or buy a "hot" piece.
True - but if they are indeed dropping there will be an element of catching a falling knife. It’s easier buying something that is still going up in price regardless of how expensive it is (see the 5711 trading well over $100k).

If there’s doubt in price stability I imagine a lot of the investor types would start to think twice. At least with stocks and crypto you know the spread and they’re highly liquid. Trying to offload a watch bought at grey prices a private seller has no idea what they can achieve for it - although a lot will probably think that they can achieve grey dealer prices (lol).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 02:58 PM   #13
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
Nuts. I cant wait for the values to tank. Its going to be funny watching all the speculators rush the exits.

2nd this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 03:41 PM   #14
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

I feel like a lot of these watches that appear to sell are just being flipped amongst dealers themselves. Watch any YouTube video from any of the famous watch people and you’ll see this happen at least once in each video.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 04:22 PM   #15
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Out View Post
That’s not going to happen, sadly.
Values will take slight corrections like now, but if you’re thinking they’ll be little to no premium on secondary market, that’s not going to happen.
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 04:53 PM   #16
Goldnlivin
"TRF" Member

Icon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Values will take slight corrections like now, but if you’re thinking they’ll be little to no premium on secondary market, that’s not going to happen.
This is very true
Old 15 April 2022, 05:10 PM   #17
norcalctr
"TRF" Member

I've been interested in getting the BLRO from the grey market, but not after it crossed $30k. That price is just ridiculous!
norcalctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 05:19 PM   #18
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

I know of a few end buyers that paid over retail and bought the watch when market was 16-20$K. some kept , some panicked at what they paid and sold after short period at a loss or even.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:07 PM   #19
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I bought mine grey in 2021. I didn’t go and hand over ££,£££ cash though. I traded up and in to it with a watch I’d bought at rrp some time ago that had appreciated and I added a little cash up top.

I suspect this is also how some guys acquire them.

Really glad I did and I got some negative remarks at the time.. however, there is nobody saying anything now though, the same greyD has one for sale at moment for a whole £8000 MORE than I paid not even 12 months ago. Turns out it was a rather smart buy given how boat has sailed.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:23 PM   #20
theflywrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Agree with this, nevertheless I do think prices will tank, just not to the point where there is no premium on the secondary market.
Everything in life is cyclical, including this hype.
There will always be demand on luxury watches and a premium above retail on alot of these watches, but I do believe that like everything in life, this phase of craze with "demand" and premiums will pass.

Fact is, with prices softer now than some weeks ago, there are less buyers since at least 80% of the buyers have been dealers or flippers. The demand has been more for "flipping" than it has been about watches.
I love watches like most folks on this forum, and I encourage anyone to buy a watch they really love so long as they can afford it regardless of if the price corrects by 30 or 40 percent, but if you're using up all your money or overextending to pay for a watch solely because you think it will go "to the moon", then I won't feel bad for you.

I too buy watches from the grey market gladly when I am itching and can justify it btw, within my means.
theflywrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:32 PM   #21
LSGG
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzachi View Post
I know of a few end buyers that paid over retail and bought the watch when market was 16-20$K. some kept , some panicked at what they paid and sold after short period at a loss or even.
Panicked over a watch purchase? Pretty clear sign one should get their finances in order before buying overpriced luxury items...
LSGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:35 PM   #22
boostafazoom
"TRF" Member

How much are the platinum daytonas (baguette) and the panda's going for at the moment? Have they dropped at all?
boostafazoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:38 PM   #23
Rolexguy$
Banned

I can totally relate to this panicking myself. But I think 30k is just overpriced for it and considering the current market, I won't make such a purchase.
Rolexguy$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 06:44 PM   #24
dracarys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No. This is not true. Sure, sometimes it says 'price on request' but only for the super expensive models. Rolex does the same btw...
dracarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 07:14 PM   #25
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

People will admit to paying 30k when they're 45k. That seems to be the trend in this forum. First you get those who chime in that they paid retail, followed by the "glad I picked this up when it was 15k, wouldn't pay what they're asking now" but no one in the moment usually.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 07:15 PM   #26
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

A good friend of mine just bought a blue sky from a gray and couldn’t be happier.

I told him it was going to be very hard to get it from a store and could take years.

It all comes down to your financial situation…. Him dropping 3x retail on a watch is like me buying a pair of shoes.
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 07:25 PM   #27
speedbird
"TRF" Member

$30k USD for the BLRO is IMO a fair market price, I wouldn't say that is overpriced in relation to what the market as a whole is doing. I would prefer to be wearing a BLRO than a AP RO, which is much more expensive and for me couldn't be an everyday which whereas the BLRO could. I don't see it as a ridiculous market price at all at this point in time. What happens next who knows.
speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 07:31 PM   #28
rolexpure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostafazoom View Post
How much are the platinum daytonas (baguette) and the panda's going for at the moment? Have they dropped at all?
Yes they have. SS Daytona's have dropped around 10% and Platinum even more.

Patek 5980R dropped ALOT like close to $100k from peak.

EVERY watch and EVERY brand is taking a hit at the moment. No one is buying much and stock is just sitting. Only takes a few months before some of the smaller gray dealers that have no cashflow will need to liquidate.

Yeah basic SS Subs and such are still moving, but there is a significant slowdown happening now thats for sure.
rolexpure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 07:55 PM   #29
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
AP prices can still be viewed on the website.

AP boutiques are still selling in accordance with the RRPs shown on the website.

AP ADs may be allowed to set their own price, but the way AP is moving towards the boutique model, ADs will eventually become irrelevant and won’t get the coveted pieces.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2022, 08:07 PM   #30
Fritzli
"TRF" Member

Wow, soooo amazing all your insights and how you can predict the future! Maybe a crystalball from Alibaba-Express?!
Fritzli is offline   Reply With Quote