The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 September 2007, 03:23 PM   #61
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Guys!? White! White! White!? What's wrong with the Black Dial Explorer II?! I love mine!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2007, 04:26 PM   #62
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Thanks.

Yeah, I am seriously considering the Seamaster 2254.50 for that matter; I just wanted to see if there are other Rolex models that might interest me before I make the move.

Yes, the Explorers IIs are great models. But you will find the AR coating, the lower cost and the Better Lum on the Omega 2245.5 to be outstanding!

I like them both.

As for the Explorer II, I have currently a Black and White Model and like them both. But if was forced to choose between the two, the Black would be the choice for me. Better lum.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 06:09 AM   #63
Dynamite Kid19

Hello all

Hello all, I just recently joined the ranks of Explorer II owners, I purchased a pre-owned gently loved black face K serial, (Only gripe is the holes in the outside of the lugs but it gives me something to shoot for in the next watch I guess). It still has the vinyl sticker over the hologram and I weaseled the new style box out of the dealer. I'm already debating in my head what model to get next!!!

JJ, your review of the Explorer II was very informative, and lead to the purchase.
Dynamite Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2007, 05:25 PM   #64
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamite Kid19 View Post
Hello all, I just recently joined the ranks of Explorer II owners, I purchased a pre-owned gently loved black face K serial, (Only gripe is the holes in the outside of the lugs but it gives me something to shoot for in the next watch I guess). It still has the vinyl sticker over the hologram and I weaseled the new style box out of the dealer. I'm already debating in my head what model to get next!!!

JJ, your review of the Explorer II was very informative, and lead to the purchase.
Good on you, my friend....and congrats. I think Rolex owes me a commission!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2007, 02:32 PM   #65
Doremonx
"TRF" Member

EXP-II Review

Hello all,

I read somewhere about Chapter Ring on the Explorer II. May I know what is it and is it supposed to be available on the latest series of EXP II?

Another question on bracelet configuration of 7+6 converting to 8+5. Is this something all AD can do to adjust when you purchase?

Thanks.
Doremonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2007, 03:23 PM   #66
RBKcigar

great looking watch. im realy stuck if i want my first "upscale" watch to be this or a blue sub... or a ym.... jeez so many beautiful watches! great review! if i decide on the blue sub or a white explorerII you get some credit. bolth reviews are realy good! what do you think like 5% of sales comission?
RBKcigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2007, 06:02 PM   #67
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBKcigar View Post
great looking watch. im realy stuck if i want my first "upscale" watch to be this or a blue sub... or a ym.... jeez so many beautiful watches! great review! if i decide on the blue sub or a white explorerII you get some credit. bolth reviews are realy good! what do you think like 5% of sales comission?
Whatever watch you got, you cant go wrong when it comes to a Rolex. I personally have the Explorer II and love it very much. I thought JJ wrote a phenomenal review on it too.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2007, 09:10 PM   #68
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

i agree with what jerome said you can't go wrong if you choose a rolex watch.
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 02:28 AM   #69
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Welcome Doremonx.

To the best of my knowledge, the engraved chapter ring is not a feature of the current Exp II. You can see it in images of the new GMT II. It surround the dial and has Rolex Rolex Rolex etc engraved all around.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 02:52 AM   #70
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

it also has the serial number of the watch you forgot ot mention that JebiSubEx11
frostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 02:54 AM   #71
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Thanks frostie... I think it's a bit bling, but it's all personal, therefore all good.
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 09:22 AM   #72
ohsixx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Make a guess!
I have had this one a week today. The bracelet had to go:
(clicky on thumbnail)

ohsixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 05:33 PM   #73
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsixx View Post
(clicky on thumbnail)

The Explorer II looks great on a black strap there Mark!

Its nice to have a different look every once in a while.

-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
BiG JeEzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2007, 07:41 PM   #74
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSubExII View Post
Welcome Doremonx.

To the best of my knowledge, the engraved chapter ring is not a feature of the current Exp II. You can see it in images of the new GMT II. It surround the dial and has Rolex Rolex Rolex etc engraved all around.
It is on the very latest M series watches I believe.. have seen a pic on here - I'm sure Bo (Spacedweller) will find !

My AD has one in the window - no chapter ring on that one..

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2007, 05:33 AM   #75
bigmikebee
"TRF" Member

i like it
bigmikebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2007, 04:00 AM   #76
lamdash

Watch: d.just/exp ll
i juz bought mine a black dial,accordingly to AD.Black seems in now.I reckon too,as its easy to match my skin tone better.

juz starting to envy white nw**Grin*
lamdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2007, 05:07 AM   #77
lamdash

Watch: d.just/exp ll
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsixx View Post
(clicky on thumbnail)

wow!i seen ppl done this with a seiko..Rolex ,first time..looks unique and innovative..wonder anyone can reconigize this as a rolex from far?
lamdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 09:33 AM   #78
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
JJ: excellent review, matches my white exp II almost exactly. l love that watch, and there's a whole history about how i got it, and so i can tell you my watches may come and go, but NEVER that white exp. II. it's has major mojo. now, could you favor us with the grand tour of NZ? you know, hot spots, hot women, cool stuff to do? i've been around the world, but i doubt i'll ever get that far south...is NZ better than Australia?
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2007, 03:43 PM   #79
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

As usual JJ , Great Reivew !
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2007, 02:56 AM   #80
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
does anyone know if/when the exp II is due for an upgrade?
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2007, 10:45 PM   #81
2oom2oom
"TRF" Member

M Series Explorer II

Many thanks to JJ review, I make the decision in buying a white Exp II M series yesterday for US$4600. The watch c/w chapter ring - Rolex engraved all round and watch serial number but then it does not have the etched logo at 6.
Can anyone enlightened me whether this is an original or original mixed and match watch?
2oom2oom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 02:42 AM   #82
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oom2oom View Post
Many thanks to JJ review, I make the decision in buying a white Exp II M series yesterday for US$4600. The watch c/w chapter ring - Rolex engraved all round and watch serial number but then it does not have the etched logo at 6.
Can anyone enlightened me whether this is an original or original mixed and match watch?
Thanks, but your new Expy would definitely have the laser etching at '6'. It's hard to see against the white background, but if you use a reading lamp and a 10x loupe, you should succeed.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 5 December 2007, 12:09 PM   #83
Todd V

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Actually a very good question.

In normal light - NEVER a problem. The white dial Exp-II is one of the easiest and quickest time readability waches out there.

But when you are sitting in a darkened movie house, it's bloody useless. No matter how hard you try.....even try and bounce the bright light off the screen onto the dial....and you see NOTHING.

JJ
Wasn't the Explorer II designed for cave-dwelling? It's strange that the white dial makes it difficult to read at night!
Todd V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 12:22 PM   #84
Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd V View Post
Wasn't the Explorer II designed for cave-dwelling? It's strange that the white dial makes it difficult to read at night!
It was made for spelunkers in mind, but the original version (1970's), the "Orange Hand Explorer" only came with a black dial. The early "cream" white dial was introducer in the '80's and is very desirable among collectors. The current white dial is whiter than the "cream".
Old 5 December 2007, 02:09 PM   #85
abh30

Watch: Exp II
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oom2oom View Post
Welcome to TRF. I am new here too.

Congrats on your new acquisition. I got my black dial Explorer II a few days before you for about the same price too.

I managed to locate the etched logo after some time using a magnifying glass on my swiss army knife. Keep trying by changing the lighting conditions and viewing angles and you will find it. Its simple after that.

abh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2007, 10:34 PM   #86
2oom2oom
"TRF" Member

Etched Logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh30 View Post
Welcome to TRF. I am new here too.

Congrats on your new acquisition. I got my black dial Explorer II a few days before you for about the same price too.

I managed to locate the etched logo after some time using a magnifying glass on my swiss army knife. Keep trying by changing the lighting conditions and viewing angles and you will find it. Its simple after that.

Found, at last. Took me quite sometime. If it is not for you and JJ words, I would have given up. A BIG thank you to you both.
2oom2oom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2007, 08:53 AM   #87
Keith F.

Hi, I'm new to the forums, I have a SS/sub, SS/WG DJ w/Tapestry Dial and a 1970 TT/DJ with a leather band and original crown buckle. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a White dial EXPII . Thanks for the info and helping me decide. Keith.
Keith F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2008, 10:48 PM   #88
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Just found this thread. Although I've only my DJ for two weeks I am already looking at this watch for next purchase. JJ, do you still have yours? I think I saw a current thread where you mention you were wearing the Platty this weekend.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2008, 11:00 PM   #89
portable75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II
That was great! I love the pics. Thats my next purchase.....
Old 6 January 2008, 04:21 AM   #90
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
Just found this thread. Although I've only my DJ for two weeks I am already looking at this watch for next purchase. JJ, do you still have yours? I think I saw a current thread where you mention you were wearing the Platty this weekend.
I have just these 2 for now!!