The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 1 February 2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

Rolex Explorer I 39mm 214270 One Year Later: A Review

One year ago and for some months I was shopping for a new daily wearer that would assist me in answering that question: “Hey man, what time is it?” To wear from suit to sea, peak to opera house was the thinking. Legibility, durability, distinctive but not flashy were among the criteria. Some previous watches included a 1997 Victorinox GMT (still going strong); a titanium Tissot One-Touch (binned it—what a piece of junk); and, a 1956 Bulova (still great condition but gold and small-size limit its range for sure). A Rolex was new ground for me.

And some months spanned before I began to better appreciate the Rolex line to include especially the Explorer I. Rolex appeared more to be “old man watches” (sorry) or too much a trophy. Less keen about polished steel, the Explorer I appeared too shiny at first. Polished bezel, shiny numbers—what “explorer” would wear that watch to even the Marriott in Kathmandu? I thought the Arabic numbers were overly odd and large. At least with a Panerai (112 or 176) there is the 12 o’clock digit to provide continuity around the dial. Legacy of the Explorer I held in suspicion.

What I did appreciate about the Explorer I from the get-go was the fit on my wrist. Only an older (1978) Submariner no-date felt as comfortable and symmetrical. I tried to warm to the Explorer II given the brushed steel bezel and return to the original “Steve McQueen” maxi dial. White was too pale and the white gold rimming the markers on the Black was too distracting. The new Explorer II also felt too top heavy on my wrist. I also tried the new Omega Planet Ocean (8500 movement), Blancpain’s 50 Fathoms, and several Panerai. Being less inclined towards the Diver tradition and more to the mountains, the dive watches were less appealing. There also appeared the tendency for many watches to be up-sized, to be a trophy of sorts rather than a simple, rugged, and versatile timepiece.

On that point this Explorer I does appear somewhat bloated on my 7-inch plus wrist. I would hasten to have a watch any thicker. This Explorer I is heavier than I expected, but maybe that weight is necessary given the movement’s upgrades to include durability to shocks.

The bracelet is of course first rate and “scratch magnet” it is not! I love the easy link extension. That is practicality to the maximum when it comes to wearing daily.

The above were the initial impressions after wearing the watch for three months. One year later I wear this watch all-the-time. And after shopping for a second watch (a mental disease to be sure) gave me additional perspective on this Explorer I.

The Dial
The applied dial markings provide sufficient depth to always add interest and depth to a dial color I otherwise consider monochrome and uninteresting. Perhaps this understated style but depth in quality is part of what can make the Rolex sport watch line continually attractive.

I considered the critique of the minute hand being a tad short-- being a design flaw in other words. I wondered at times why did Rolex not go with the conventional longer minute hand. Did the Rolex designers simply screw up? While no horologist I tend to think the minute hand’s length was very deliberate on the part of Rolex. For one, the white luminous portion of the minute hand exactly align with the luminous portion of minute markers. More significantly, the length of the minute hand may very well be a tribute to the previous generation (and smaller dial) Explorer I. From a distance, especially when worn when passing a full length mirror—say, in a gym—the minute marker does look distinctively short, but to be longer would make the watch look like any other plain faced watch, maybe even a pilot’s watch (yikes). The short minute hand keeps the look swift, sufficient, and compact, keeping linkages to its 36mm predecessor. My theory for your consideration.

The dial is helpfully legible even when peering for the time at an angle. That the Arabic numbers are not luminous makes getting the time right at night because that gap in luminosity helps ensure I am reading the dial correctly. The luminosity is just enough to tell the time without making time at ungodly hour too imperative. During the day the Arabic numerals are similarly useful as there is less chance of mistaking seven for eight o’clock, ten for eleven o’clock, etc. when wanting to know the time at a quick glance.

A watch without complications means a watch that underscores simplicity and what is important. The lack of a date demonstrates that the day does not matter but the moment. A wise man once said: “the most important place is where you are right now.” If you agree then a GMT function only is helpful if it is very legible and in no way distracts from informing you about the most important place: where you are standing. If traveling across time zones and even datelines, the Explorer I makes all simple: just change the time and keep going.

The Bracelet
Only after searching for a complement to this watch did I again come back to relishing the bracelet of this 214270. Cold of winter, humidity of summer, right out of the shower, quintessentially comfortable and sufficiently adjustable for 24+ hours, awake or asleep, consisting of metal that for some reason is just plain enriching on the skin of my wrist, are among the hallmarks of this bracelet. Of additional note are the solid pins that will better resist the reported stretching incurred in previous generation bracelets.

The Movement
Hah! I know nothing of movements except what everyone else says and I like the idea that this watch will keep ticking for years without the hood needing to be lifted. Additionally helpful is that I can leave the watch off over a weekend and it will still be ticking Monday AM.

General Construction and Aesthetics
I have had my share of Timexes, advertised to “take a licking and keep on ticking”(!) and that of course resonates better as advertising than reality; whereas, this Rolex is rock-solid. Clunking someone over the head with this seemingly modest sized watch (by today’s trends) would really hurt! And I have yet to understand the attraction of a transparent caseback. It would probably reduce the resiliency of the case. Besides, I seldom look at the back of this watch (because I am wearing it) and glad that Rolex and this Explorer I have stayed away from that crystal case back trend.

Conclusion One Year Later.
I’m keeping it.
The blue bezel GMT and recently released watches by other manufacturers have enticed me to ponder trading in this Explorer I. Yet, I keep coming back to this watch. The combination of quality, understated disposition, legibility, potential range of wear, and legacy make this watch a relief in a world that can otherwise be complex. Moreover I have yet to see anyone else wearing the Explorer I. Datejust, Panerai, Submariner abound, while the Explorer I stands alone.
Rolexiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 12:45 AM   #2
ttomczak
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Beach
Great write up!

If you wind it, it tells pretty good time
(Paul Newman)
ttomczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 03:00 AM   #3
gmlomas
Banned

Watch: IWC, PAM, Rolex
Agree
gmlomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 03:10 AM   #4
Mike_Templar
"TRF" Member

My every day, every moment watch.
Mike_Templar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 03:35 AM   #5
wisguy
"TRF" Member

Great write-up.

I agree that the Explorer is a great all rounder, probably one of the best.

A cousin of mine has one, and the other way we traded for a weekend and I liked it a lot, it just feels great, not heavy, very comfy, looks great on any setting.
Old 2 February 2014, 08:48 AM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nice write up, pics please!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 09:26 AM   #7
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Fantastic one year review, thank you! The Explorer 1 is my next Rolex.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2014, 12:08 PM   #8
kxux
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Nice write up. I can identify with many points you make. Explorer I is a great looking watch. May it serve you well for many years to come.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2014, 12:08 AM   #9
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Such a terrific write up, you voice many of my sentiments about the watch, although I could not articulate so well.
Simplicity, versatility, durability...enjoy it.
Old 4 February 2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Rolexiva
"TRF" Member

Thank you and glad to provide a helpful review.
Rolexiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2014, 03:02 PM   #11
Tudor841
2024 Pledge Member

Great review - thanks!
Tudor841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2014, 06:48 AM   #12
MagnusM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116519
Brilliant review!! Thank you,
MagnusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Great review
Furbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2014, 01:24 PM   #14
TudorBeast
Banned

Watch: 114060
I miss mine :(
TudorBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2014, 09:22 PM   #15
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I have the 36mm Explorer, a watch I have owned since 2003, and still going strong after a Rolex Service. Its the only watch in my collection at this moment that I can say will be with me until I die. It is the ultimate, daily Do it all beater watch. Congrats on your piece!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2014, 03:14 AM   #16
RRGHOST1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex TT SubC Blue
Excellent review about a very underestimated watch. Its simplicity is why it is such a great watch and I think would be a great model to feature a white dial.
Old 6 March 2014, 07:35 AM   #17
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2014, 05:24 AM   #18
pomkiwi
"TRF" Member

Bought one a couple of weeks ago and loving it for many of the same reasons. Not sure I could put it as well as you have though!
pomkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2014, 01:08 PM   #19
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Bought one last week because reviews such as yours helped convince me that this was the Rolex I really wanted. Having worked for years in a setting where wearing a Rolex would have seemed ostentatious, I have eschewed them. But now retired, I love this watch but still appreciate that few folks other than a WIS would even recognize it. Great review!
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 03:02 AM   #20
take
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review. As a newbie that always wanted a rolex but am now just researching a model, your review brought up lots of points I never considered
take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2014, 06:56 PM   #21
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

That was an excellent review, I just wish I had the talent to write something similar.

I have a 39mm Explorer1 and it is without doubt the perfect, wear everywhere, everyday watch.

The only downside is that because of its superb quality, I would like to buy a second Rolex, but to be honest, what is the point. The Explorer is really the only watch you will ever need in reality.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2014, 12:30 AM   #22
Boothroyd
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Top-notch review from a personal point of view. Just found this post and enjoyed it. Thank you!
Old 6 April 2014, 03:09 AM   #23
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
Great review!
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2014, 09:03 AM   #24
vleung96
"TRF" Member

Love it

I bought mine explorer 214270 a month ago. Love it very much
vleung96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2014, 01:14 PM   #25
k1September
"TRF" Member

I bot a new Rolex Explorer I 39mm 214270 a few weeks back. I am very pleased with the piece, but some details...

I previously have a GMT2 16710 Coke bezel back around 1999 or so, and was the only watch I have worn since my Explorer purchase.

One thing that struck me was the quality of the strap. The new stainless bracelet mechanism Rolex is using on most of their sports models is really outstanding. Solid links, and thick steel clasp (higher grade steel) make a huge difference. I also do not like the polished center links that are used on many other current stainless models. The explorer has brushed links, the way God intended. The 39mm is the perfect size (I know some Explorer purists will cringe). But let's face it, with cell phones nobody NEEDS a watch, and the larger faces are the style. My hat off to Rolex for showing restraint by only increasing the size a few mm. I see a lot of kids nowadays wearing small wall clocks on their wrists.

Obviously, build quality is absolute perfect. The dial seems to be very, very dark grey instead of a black. When the sun hits it at certain angles you get the slightest hint of blue, which I love. As others have said, the explorer flies under the radar, big time. Also, there are very few in the wild, compared to the subs. I really like the no date watches because it shows appreciation to the history of such a historic timepiece.

The watch just feels great on the wrist. For some reason my GMT 2 was not comfortable to sleep with, but the Explorer is. It definitely is good on the wrist. The last point of fun is that the design of the explorer lends itself to swapping out different straps. The Stainless is great, but is equally looks great with beat up old brown leather strap, or a shiny new alligator skin, or a Nato.

Strange to say from someone who just bot a new Rolex, but I really like the vintage Rolex pieces. However, the overall quality of the new models are really lightyears ahead of the vintage pieces (although Vintage pieces are very, very, VERY cool).
k1September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 04:00 AM   #26
Eklipz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Nice review !
Eklipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 10:59 AM   #27
Dickie Watty
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Agreed. The 39mm Explorer is quite possibly the perfect watch for me. It has everything I need and nothing I don't. If it had a date it would be more convienent but it would break up the beauty of the dial. If it were bigger it would not be as comfortable and attract too much attention. If it had polished center links I would hate it and want to have them brushed. If it didn't have a flip lock I would want one.
This is my 4th Rolex and I think I have finally found "the one."
A Sub? Too common, too recognizable, more expensive, too bulky for daily wear, plus I am not a diver, do I really need an expensive dive watch? No. My CWC Royal Navy or my G shock works fine when I venture in water for a swim, the Explorer I would too for that matter. I have owned a Submariner 2 liner and it is an exquisite watch, just not the perfect watch for me.
The GMT? beautiful, I love the black and blue model but it is big, bulky and wow! expensive! I had an a Explorer II for a while and used the 2nd time zone once, I travel a lot but usually in the same time zone. there is just no need for it unless you travel all the time all around the world, even then I would probably just set my EXP I to local time as I needed to.
The Datejust II? Beautiful watch, I had one and loved it. It commands respect and somehow still flys under the radar. The date function is very nice to have, I had the silver dial and it is a beauty of a watch. Reasons I got rid of it? Too big for me, at 41mm it is just seems too big for a watch with no diving/GMT bezel or chronograph. The lume was not particularly good, the baton hands just don't do it for me, I like the Rolex sword and Mercedes hand combo. The bracelet was extremely comfortable but the polished center links grew tiresome for me, too flashy, too scratch prone, too fashion and not enough function, no flip lock either(no need for it I guess but it bothered me)
I prefer military style tool watches, like some of the vintage Rolex models were. The Explorer is perfect in many ways for me. 39mm=perfect size! flat profile, strong enough lume, tool style with just a hint of flash, Great movement, matte dial, Great bracelet, pedigree, I have finally come home.
Dickie Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 09:40 PM   #28
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Very well said Dickie... very well said. The Explorer I will be my next Rolex!

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2014, 11:10 PM   #29
Dickie Watty
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Cop414, the 14060M is a very close second to the Exp I for me. In fact if I could justify spending the money to have both I would do it immediately. I love the 14060M, I had the 14060 and still miss that watch.
Dickie Watty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2014, 06:35 AM   #30
fpiccinin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Nice review.
My explorer 1
fpiccinin is offline   Reply With Quote