The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 February 2018, 12:05 PM   #1
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Submariner vs GMT

Finally in the market for a new Rolex. I purchased my first one in 2001, a stainless and silver dial Datejust with a smooth bezel, when I got my first well paying job (I was 26) with the intention of keeping it forever and passing it along to my son when I had one someday. Well forever was shortened when it was stolen from my home (long story) in 2013. The Datejust garnered a lot of attention so I also purchased a Tag Monaco WW2110 as well as a Tag Monaco Steve McQueen Calibre 11 boutique edition as well both of which which I still have. My homeowners insurance paid for the stolen Datejust I never replaced it.

Fast forward 17 years later and I finally have my 9 month old son and want another Rolex to pass down to him. I am deciding between a Submariner 116610, 114060 16610 (2001 same year as my first Rolex) or GMT 116710 black (I know Batman is more desired but don’t care for the black blue combo), 16710 Pepsi circa 2001 as Magnum PI was my favorite show as a kid and is responsible for making me want a Rolex.

Looking for any feedback and advice pros cons etc is much appreciated
mbdurham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 12:59 PM   #2
Micf3e
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750 Matte
well here are my two cents......

I own a few watches, a sub, seadweller, GMT. Exploree II etc. I for years wore a submariner because I am a big guy and I like the large heavy case of the submariner. the older GMT was always slightly smaller in the case thickness.
If you are an avid diver, the sub is the best choice. I don't dive but I always preferred the submariner due to the heavy weight. They are both waterproof for the average needs of any user.
So, fast forward. I started traveling for business and really needed a watch that was a little more versatile and the GMT is. so I dusted off my vintage 16750 and found it really convenient when traveling between time zones.
now that the newer GMT have a thicker case and are more like the submariner, I found myself eyeing the newer ceramic version. I Purchased a ceramic GMT black insert and have never looked back. The GMT is a much more functional watch, (Unless you are an avid diver,) and now has many of the features I like in the submariner plus the advantage of the 24 hour hand and the independent hour hand.

Short but I now very rarely wear anything but my GMT II or my Explorer II
Micf3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 03:06 PM   #3
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex, Oris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micf3e View Post
well here are my two cents......

I own a few watches, a sub, seadweller, GMT. Exploree II etc. I for years wore a submariner because I am a big guy and I like the large heavy case of the submariner. the older GMT was always slightly smaller in the case thickness.

If you are an avid diver, the sub is the best choice. I don't dive but I always preferred the submariner due to the heavy weight. They are both waterproof for the average needs of any user.

So, fast forward. I started traveling for business and really needed a watch that was a little more versatile and the GMT is. so I dusted off my vintage 16750 and found it really convenient when traveling between time zones.

now that the newer GMT have a thicker case and are more like the submariner, I found myself eyeing the newer ceramic version. I Purchased a ceramic GMT black insert and have never looked back. The GMT is a much more functional watch, (Unless you are an avid diver,) and now has many of the features I like in the submariner plus the advantage of the 24 hour hand and the independent hour hand.

Short but I now very rarely wear anything but my GMT II or my Explorer II

Informative post. What are the differences in the clasp on the sub bracelet and the GMT bracelet? I ask because while I don’t do much diving, I do go boating, sailing, snorkeling, and other active outdoor activities where I feel a less secure clasp might cause the watch to be lost or broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tarnsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 04:17 AM   #4
roviw
"TRF" Member

As you mentioned "Magnum" was your initial introduction to Rolex I would suggest the Pepsi, I have a 1996 16700 Pepsi as my main daily wear, it is on a Jubilee bracelet and I have the flip over clasp as well.
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
roviw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 01:25 PM   #5
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Who is your recommended online dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9 February 2018, 03:15 PM   #6
Micf3e
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750 Matte
The new sub has a slidelock clasp that adjust in an out to fit over a wetsuit. The GMT has a halflink that folds in and out so if your wrist grows during the day, you can adjust for comfort. Both have a flip lock to secure the clasp.
Micf3e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 10:42 PM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Most people will prefer the glidelock clasp from the Submariner, which is very nicely engineered. Personally I prefer the clasp from the GMT. Bit smaller and more easy and faster to adjust.
The glidelock always needs more attempts to get it right.

Believe that both are equally secure
Old 10 February 2018, 01:10 AM   #8
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micf3e View Post
The new sub has a slidelock clasp that adjust in an out to fit over a wetsuit. The GMT has a halflink that folds in and out so if your wrist grows during the day, you can adjust for comfort. Both have a flip lock to secure the clasp.

Thank you for the info! I think I will save up for the GMT Batman. My boss has a sub as his daily, so that would be too weird. I just wanted to be sure the gmt would stand up to any adventure!

Old 11 February 2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would go GMT over the Sub, mostly because the GMT function is more useful for me... I chose it as my first Rolex (BLNR). I would go new over vintage for this as well... Make this your watch and memories to pass down. Also if you buy new you have the option to put either your name or his name on the warranty card. Just an extra little touch...
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2018, 03:59 PM   #10
DanielWatson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN
116610ln
DanielWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2018, 05:18 AM   #11
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback! My first thought as some had suggested was to get his birth year and that’s how I started my quest however from what I have seen on line is the newer ones are random serial numbers. Is this correct? Granted I have not looked and a local dealer as my plan was to buy on line to save $1000 in sales tax. If anyone has a suggestion where to search please let me know.

I am leaning toward the 116710 LN over the sub since the GMT was the reason I wanted one as a kid in the first place and the dual time zones will be useful to me.

Old 12 February 2018, 06:18 AM   #12
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Unless you are set on going for a brand new watch, you might consider the GMT 16710 or 16700 as someone has already mentioned. Both are superb and pretty much do everything the Sub will do, for most people.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2018, 12:43 PM   #13
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Does the 116710LN have solid center link bracelet?

Old 20 February 2018, 11:36 PM   #14
Dan stillwood
Banned

They are very different watches and then I feel that the GMT has a more commanding presence,but they are very beautiful watches.
Dan stillwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 12:26 AM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Sounds like you are leaning toward the GMT, which is a fantastic watch. So go to an AD and try them both on. You'll know.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 12:30 AM   #16
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post

If anyone has a suggestion where to search please let me know

Look in the classified section here on TRF. Then look in The Who’s who section to read seller reviews. You’ll see the same names popping up again and again for great service / flawless transactions.

Good luck
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 12:35 AM   #17
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Sounds like you are leaning toward the GMT, which is a fantastic watch. So go to an AD and try them both on. You'll know.

Good luck finding an AD with either, let alone both! When I was looking in January I bought a beautiful Omega instead!

Old 21 February 2018, 01:10 AM   #18
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnsman View Post
Good luck finding an AD with either, let alone both! When I was looking in January I bought a beautiful Omega instead!

You are correct I visited a few ADs this weekend to try to see for my self and no stock on either only special order

Old 21 February 2018, 01:14 AM   #19
BDL
2024 Pledge Member

Both wonderful watches.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 02:07 AM   #20
mbdurham
"TRF" Member

I must admit I am confused as to the used market pricing I am finding (and they are selling pretty fast) 116710LN used/like new are going for around 8k which I thought was due to it being hard to get a new one however I found a local AD that says they can special order and have in two weeks or so for MSRP. I understand the BLNR selling for over MSRP as from what I’ve found they can’t be ordered.

As I first was leaning to an older model so was looking at resellers but since I have gravitated to the newer model I am starting to look elsewhere.

Am I missing something? Granted I would save about 1k including taxes but would appreciate some info from experienced Rolex buyers

Old 21 February 2018, 02:33 AM   #21
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
Any Submariner with a glidelock

Present: BB58 | BB36 | GMW-B5000D-1JF | 6900-PT80

Past: 16610LN | 16622 | 116610LN | 214270

Last edited by dr35mm; 21 February 2018 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: typo
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 04:47 AM   #22
TheWatchEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,SD43,BLNR
Submariner is great but between the two I will go for a Ceramic GMT Master II 1166710LN first before the submariner.
TheWatchEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 04:58 AM   #23
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
I, and it sounds like many others, want the submariner to be the same size as a GMT. Lugs, case back, etc.
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 05:05 AM   #24
Max16013
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 16013
I think a Submariner is a better investment, but if your only debating between the sub and gmt line you truthfully can’t make a wrong decision

Max16013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 05:20 AM   #25
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

I want a stainless GMT with the brushed Sub bracelet. So when they start making that one, I’m in. But until then I’ll just whine and cry about it.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 05:27 AM   #26
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
If not going for the bi-color bezel, then go with a Submariner Date. I feel that the GMT really needs the bi-color bezel. It's a big part its iconic look. The LN is the same great watch with the 3186 which is a really useful movement but the black Sub will always hold its value better than a black GMT.

But a 16710 Pepsi would be a fantastic choice! You really can't go wrong with that watch. Yes the bracelets are better on both of your other choices, but this watch is classic Rolex and as good an investment if not better than the Submariner.

Whatever you choose your son will inherit a great watch. There is no bad decision here!
Old 21 February 2018, 05:47 AM   #27
Tarnsman
"TRF" Member

Submariner vs GMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Any4xx View Post
I want a stainless GMT with the brushed Sub bracelet. So when they start making that one, I’m in. But until then I’ll just whine and cry about it.

Easy to have the PCLs brushed, but there is still the issue of the clasp. Are the bracelets interchangeable?

Old 21 February 2018, 06:02 AM   #28
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

I have the 116610LN and the BLNR. They are both incredible watches and I'm nearly split which one I enjoy more. If you travel often, the GMT is tough to beat. If you want the icon of icons, then I'd go SubC. The only negatives I have for either is I'm not a huge fan of the PCL's or clasp of the GMT. I thought they'd grow on me, but they didn't so I ended up purchasing a 97200 bracelet for it, which is the primary bracelet I wear on that watch. The PCL's really do scratch easily, but some people like that. I don't. The GMT clasp can't hold a candle to the SubC bracelet either. Once you have the Glidelock, it's really tough to wear anything else. They were also a tad blingy, and I generally wear jeans and a t-shirt when I'm not working. Now I can wear my GMT anytime, no matter if I'm dressed up or down and the 97200 also has the Glidelock so it negates those negatives. That being said, the SubC is an incredible piece that I genuinely cannot come up with one negative about.
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 06:04 AM   #29
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Easy to have the PCLs brushed, but there is still the issue of the clasp. Are the bracelets interchangeable?

See my post. The 97200 fits, but they're difficult to find and you'll end up spending roughly $2k for one. Easy resale though if you choose to get rid of it.
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2018, 06:11 AM   #30
Any4xx
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They are. I’m tempted to buy both and do just that, keeping the Sub head and the GMT bracelet in the safe for whatever future plan may develop.
Any4xx is offline   Reply With Quote