The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 October 2020, 05:06 AM   #1
Havey2020
"TRF" Member

Ready to buy a day date. Who can help with pricing?

Hey guys,

So I’m ready to pull the trigger on a day-date. Most likely a double quick set 18238. But now that I’m ready, I’m running into a few problems. First issue is that (being from Canada) I’m finding it hard to find a pre owned watch in the condition I want. Secondly, if I do find something that appears to be in the condition I want it always seems to be listed way over market value. (The few shops in Ontario always appear to be grossly over priced) It always seems there are way better deals online from U.S. websites. Even after having to factor in currency exchange and customs fees. I just always had it in my head that I wanted to see with my own eyes and try it on before pulling the trigger.

Have any of you struggled with finding a watch you thought was perfect but couldn’t see past the overpriced tag?

This 18238 I have my eye on is 25k before taxes. Approximately 19k U.S. And is basically new old stock condition. Comes with original box no papers. What are your thought on this price?

Thanks!
Old 27 October 2020, 12:36 PM   #2
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
I’ll help as much as I can. First, all watches are overvalued at the moment. Gold watches even more so on the secondary market because the price of gold has been on the rise. All of this combines to create what is frankly not a great time to buy.

I had that exact watch, and while some people love the 36mm, all it did was make me want the 40mm. If you’re not used to it, or if you’re a taller/larger guy, the watch can feel small although it does wear bigger than most 36’s.

Boxes are a dime a dozen on the pre-owned market, you can pick up a genuine Rolex box for $50. There is no way to ensure that box is the original box. With that said, a full kit is desirable at that price point. Box, papers, stickers, etc. Without seeing pics it would be irresponsible of me to give buying advice for you. I would say for me, I would save my money until I could get a 40mm. It is more desirable of watch. If that’s not an option, I think $19k is high for that watch with no documentation.

I hope that helps.
Old 27 October 2020, 12:44 PM   #3
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
Check out DavidSW in the trusted seller section. He has a 36mm with all the documentation, looks like new old stock. He’s asking $21.5k, and you get the guarantee of a trusted seller. David is amazing. Best of luck.
Old 27 October 2020, 01:04 PM   #4
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

19k for a 18238? thats 118238 territory

mint condition 18238s should be around 13-14k
Old 27 October 2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

+1

maybe 15k at most.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Old 27 October 2020, 01:44 PM   #6
Sxa
"TRF" Member

Would you buy 116234?
Old 27 October 2020, 02:30 PM   #7
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post

Agreed. Maybe a little bit more now but definitely not 20k+
Old 27 October 2020, 04:24 PM   #8
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havey2020 View Post
Hey guys,

So I’m ready to pull the trigger on a day-date. Most likely a double quick set 18238. But now that I’m ready, I’m running into a few problems. First issue is that (being from Canada) I’m finding it hard to find a pre owned watch in the condition I want. Secondly, if I do find something that appears to be in the condition I want it always seems to be listed way over market value. (The few shops in Ontario always appear to be grossly over priced) It always seems there are way better deals online from U.S. websites. Even after having to factor in currency exchange and customs fees. I just always had it in my head that I wanted to see with my own eyes and try it on before pulling the trigger.

Have any of you struggled with finding a watch you thought was perfect but couldn’t see past the overpriced tag?

This 18238 I have my eye on is 25k before taxes. Approximately 19k U.S. And is basically new old stock condition. Comes with original box no papers. What are your thought on this price?

Thanks!
Please get the 228238 over that reference.
Old 27 October 2020, 04:33 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Please get the 228238 over that reference.
Big big difference in money and the 228238 has increased in price significantly on the gray market so no more discounts anywhere.
Old 27 October 2020, 06:17 PM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
The 5 digit comes with the old clasp and so called “hollow” bracelet.
I have one and am happy with it.

The later series of the newer 118238 have the modern clasp and bracelet. First ones still have the old clasp.
Lugs are polished instead of brushed. Definitely feels and looks more substantial.
That is more of + 20K territory watch.

The one you looking at without original paperwork is seriously overpriced, not even close.

Take a trip south and buy in person in the US
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD1.JPG (252.4 KB, 197 views)