The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2019, 07:41 AM   #151
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Thanks Swiss Mad!

Your welcome....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:56 AM   #152
Vanmarsenille
"TRF" Member

Everything that’s wrong with the current market in one thread.
Vanmarsenille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 08:18 AM   #153
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
No reason to judge. You played the game of watches and won.

Hope that your brother is happy with the Hublot
Exactly!
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 06:04 PM   #154
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Originally Posted by ninjin

And yes, I own a Hublot as well (with hefty discount of 30%), bought before the brand was made famous by the 2012 World Cup sponsorship. Was very depressed when it was, because no one knew the brand or its cost before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
Can't be only me that buys a watch because I like it rather than it's flex value?
Old 9 June 2019, 06:15 PM   #155
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theomegaaddict View Post
Hello all,

Ive been inspired to write this based on another thread here recently that's garnered a lot of attention.

Im not going to state that the OP of that thread was wrong or right. But im hoping that my story and experience sheds light on the fact that (big surprise) money talks and ADs will do what they need to do to meet their targets and goals.

This story takes place nearly exactly a month ago at a reputable AD in LONDON

Long story short

1) my brother has just graduated from his masters program and wants an entry level hublot as his gift from my mom (I know hublot right?? Still he wants what he wants)
2) I already have a great relationship with a hublot AD where i live and have a great price for the peice my brother wants
3) whilst visiting my brother in London for his grad ceremony we walk into this AD in a very popular london spot for him to try said hublot on for us
4) out of curioisty I ask AD what they can do as a price ofr this peice including vat return
5) AD gives a good price but is still above what i have it priced for back home witnout vat return or exchange fee hassle
6) i jokingly tell AD ill consider buying said entry level hublot from them if they rummage in the safe and give me a hot SS rolex
7) AD manager says let me see what I can do. 3 minutes later he emerges from the back and tells me he can throw in a rolex sub with date at msrp (plus i get vat back)
8) i nearly choke at this because basically the AD is giving me free money. He cant match the.price i got on the hublot but for some reason can give me a bag of free money instead
9) i take the hublot and rolex. (The rolex is already sold btw). And i basically get the Hublot for a song. My brother is happy to get his watch. My mom is happy cause ive basically just saved her a bunch of money

Bottom line is. No idea why the AD gave me this bundle (in my opinion its insane) but it happened. And it happened at a big dealer in London which is one of the dryest places for SS rolex.
Also goes to prove further that its all about money. I had 0 history with this AD, my brother was wearing and IWC and me a JLC both brands that this AD had So maybe they thought they could get more out of us? But regardless 0 history and i got a fantastic deal and it must have made sense to the AD too (maybe they had a hublot target they needed to hit?)

Very few ADs will abide by the correct "moral code" and will be in it for their own interests.

I know a lot on here will also judge me for buying a rolex I didnt intend on keeping. But frankly how many of you would turn away a bag of free money if offered to you?

Just my convuluted (slightly tipsy at brunch) 2 cents

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Quote:
Had i gone and flipped both right away I still would have come out on top given the GBP:USD exchange rate and the vat refund

Given that a budget was already set aside for the hublot that was higher than what i got it for (given what the rolex sold for) basically ended up getting the hublot for peanuts.

It all depends on how you account for things

galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 06:19 PM   #156
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
It makes me that 1/2 of the replies don't actually understand what the OP did. Rather they only immediately get 'redmist' that he got a sub immediately and then rant that he chose the wrong watch and should have kept the sub.

The OP never wanted a Sub, he wanted to purchase a Hublot.

He had 2 routes to secure the Hublot, buy locally from Dubai and or from London whilst visiting.

The deal offered in London was cheaper than buying from Dubai.

He therefore bought from London. This is what any rational person would do in his shoes.

I'm not saying this deal would be for everyone, but in his shoes, he made the perfectly correct financial decision.

Just get over the fact that some people can get immediate access to 'under the counter' hot watches whilst some just get a blank, 'sorry, the list of intent to purchase is too long and is closed'..... Which is another topic (repetitive) entirely.
Old 9 June 2019, 06:46 PM   #157
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
It makes me that 1/2 of the replies don't actually understand what the OP did. Rather they only immediately get 'redmist' that he got a sub immediately and then rant that he chose the wrong watch and should have kept the sub.

He had 2 routes to secure the Hublot, buy locally from Dubai and or from London whilst visiting.

He therefore bought from London. This is what any rational person would do in his shoes.

I'm not saying this deal would be for everyone, but in his shoes, he made the perfectly correct financial decision.

Just get over the fact that some people can get immediate access to 'under the counter' hot watches whilst some just get a blank, 'sorry, the list of intent to purchase is too long and is closed'..... Which is another topic (repetitive) entirely.
Thank you. I thought id made it fairly obvious haha

The only reason i posted was to point out that for many ADs at least the list is a myth. They are in the business of making money.

Either they bundle. They move to grays. Etc.

Ive had ADs offer me hard to get SS at SRP paid by credit card plus a cash amount under the table. This of course was never told to me in writing.

I know that were i live many of the sales people squirrel away the hard to get SS and move them quickly to grays or others at above SRP whilst making it look legit in the books.

They are not adding to the shortage. They are just allocating the supply in the most efficient way possible in a capitalist economy.

There are only 3 real and effective solutions to what we are seeing in terms of having to go to the secondary market for supply

1) rolex significantly ramps up production to meet demand at the current price point -unlikely
2) rolex increases SRP to as close as possible to market value (or maybe even above)- this will result in grays being priced out of market and should allow for full display cases and the ability to purchase direct from rolex without waiting (same as what we have now with the grays) - also unlikely as whilst rolex would pocket more of they money they would lose on the incredible marketing position they have of being the must have unaitainable watch and just be like any other brand that is already priced by the brand at the same level as rolex SS "real market price"
3) people stop buying rolex at these prices - dont know how likely this is. My belief is a correction is due soon as much of the price increase we have seen in the past 12 months is based on pure speculation and speculative investors who might not even be collectors. Very akin to what we saw in bitcoin

theomegaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 06:57 PM   #158
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Most of the psychological studies on self gratification - from kids to educated professionals show that respondents express ethical concerns at somebody who has received a windfall and state that they would not duplicate the behaviour. When given the opportunity, they rationalise away their morals and make the grab like most others.

As the saying goes “Always back a horse called self interest”.
True!
People act like there is some kind of chivalry in buying watches these days , If I walked passed a dealer while on holiday in another country and saw a White dial Daytona in the window with the option of getting the VAT off ...... I know what I'd do
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 09:01 PM   #159
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Thank you. I thought id made it fairly obvious haha

The only reason i posted was to point out that for many ADs at least the list is a myth. They are in the business of making money.

Either they bundle. They move to grays. Etc.

They are not adding to the shortage. They are just allocating the supply in the most efficient way possible in a capitalist economy.

Too many hurt butts fail to grasp this very simple logic.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 07:50 PM   #160
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
You did very well ...The salesman did his job too

The Rolex stupidity by not increasing production on certain models ...is sending
Customers to those makes that have a much smaller following.
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 08:26 PM   #161
desertwanderer
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post

Great summary! Well done to the OP, good negotiation skills.

Now i just need to find a Hublot buyer who can wait until i next visit the UK!
desertwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 09:06 PM   #162
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you wear the Sub this is a good deal and story, if not then this is a sad reflection of the current climate.
+1
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:10 AM   #163
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
9) i take the hublot and rolex. (The rolex is already sold btw). And i basically get the Hublot for a song. My brother is happy to get his watch. My mom is happy cause ive basically just saved her a bunch of money

So, you paid full retail on the Rolex Sub (worth a touch more in the market) and below retail for Hublot, but above what you could get it for in the US, where they are “soft”.

Can you tell me, how did you get the Hublot for a song? Did you pay your Mom part of your Sub perceived profit? Did you flip the Sub to realize a profit?

I don’t understand your comment.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 02:35 AM   #164
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
So, you paid full retail on the Rolex Sub (worth a touch more in the market) and below retail for Hublot, but above what you could get it for in the US, where they are “soft”.

Can you tell me, how did you get the Hublot for a song? Did you pay your Mom part of your Sub perceived profit? Did you flip the Sub to realize a profit?

I don’t understand your comment.

He flipped the sub to realize a profit.
Old 11 June 2019, 03:18 AM   #165
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rolex View Post
Bit of a 'look at me look at me' thread I think
Pretty much all the threads here are look at me threads.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:13 AM   #166
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeatable View Post
Seriously!

OP - "I got a sub on a bundle and sold it"
Everyone - "F**k this guy!!"

vs.

TRF seller - "I have all the SS sport models, above MSRP, brand new"
Everyone - "We love our Trusted Sellers!"

Nothing against the Trusted Sellers on here, I have done business with a few, but does everyone have Stockholm syndrome with the Trusted Sellers or something?
Definitely no hate, just uninteresting. 6 pages about a guy who flipped a watch
Old 11 June 2019, 04:17 AM   #167
Brny11
"TRF" Member

You are a TERRIBLE human being! I would have done the same though! But just awful lol!

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:27 AM   #168
alphasports
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacherObsessive View Post
Your relative should have taken the sub. The hublot is horrid. But then again when these things are being gifted at such a young age at this level it sounds like his whole life has been a free ride so far so it probably doesn’t make any difference. Easy come easy go.
Making rather broad judgements/assumptions aren't you?

Good on the OP.
alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:32 AM   #169
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston77 View Post
Can’t say I love this story. You essentially made a few dollars selling a piece that that next customer may have really wanted and loved.
This
Old 11 June 2019, 06:06 AM   #170
kfs718
"TRF" Member

I would have kept the Sub! No moral judgment here but the whole story did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Would have been a much better story if you always wanted a Sub and just happended to be able to get one this way while you gave a nice gift to your brother. Now just a pretty good deal (I guess) and a story about another steel Rolex model sold above MSRP.
kfs718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 06:08 AM   #171
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Bottom line is. No idea why the AD gave me this bundle (in my opinion its insane) but it happened. And it happened at a big dealer in London which is one of the dryest places for SS rolex.
Because they will do anything to get rid of a Hublot, that is why.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote