The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2019, 02:26 PM   #1
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

datejust 36 or 41 and where to get the best price in Los Angeles

Hi guys i’m new to the forum but wanted to buy my first rolex

I’m looking at the datejust 36 or 41 and wanted to get your guys opinion on the size. Should I go 36 or 41?

i’m interested in the datejust Oyster, 36 mm, Oystersteel and white gold with the White mother-of-pearl set with diamonds

can’t decide on the jubilee bracelet or the oyster bracelet

Can i get these with a discount from an AD? Who’s Tony and can I get this with a discount from him?

Should I buy used?

It lists for $13,000 on rolex website

Will this watch hold it’s value?

Thank in advance for everyone’s advice
bimmerm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 03:14 PM   #2
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I'll respond since these are kind of newb questions but I'm a newb too! Lots of folks will ignore the post.

First off, try the sizes on and buy what you like, what looks best on you. From what I can gather here, a general rule of thumb is not to let the lugs overhang the wrist but others rock an oversize look. Generally, dressy conservative watches look best a bit understated but again, it's personal taste. Personally? I think the DJ 36 is a complete classic, rest of your life watch unless you have really big wrists.

Any Rolex will hold it's value relatively but a new datejust will drop like a new car, maybe 30%. So you have to decide whether the buying new experience is an important part of the whole deal. If you want something very specific, you might have to buy new.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2019, 03:42 PM   #3
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Agree with above post, but also worth noting (contrary to common belief) is that the DJ41 is not 41mm. It's 39.? mm.

Buy the one you like best.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:23 PM   #4
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
I'll respond since these are kind of newb questions but I'm a newb too! Lots of folks will ignore the post.

First off, try the sizes on and buy what you like, what looks best on you. From what I can gather here, a general rule of thumb is not to let the lugs overhang the wrist but others rock an oversize look. Generally, dressy conservative watches look best a bit understated but again, it's personal taste. Personally? I think the DJ 36 is a complete classic, rest of your life watch unless you have really big wrists.

Any Rolex will hold it's value relatively but a new datejust will drop like a new car, maybe 30%. So you have to decide whether the buying new experience is an important part of the whole deal. If you want something very specific, you might have to buy new.
My wife didn’t want me to buy used cause it could have bad karma like it was previously owned by a drug kingpin or some9ne with terrible luck that passes it on to me...she is sooo superstitious
Old 9 June 2019, 02:40 PM   #5
steadywaters
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Probably could get a discount on it -- maybe ask for 15% and take whatever is offered. Don't think there would be much value appreciation with this model at all.

If I were you and set on getting this model, I'd also ask for a hot SS sports model alongside it as a bundle -- pay only when both watches are ready for collection.
steadywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:02 PM   #6
MercedesHand
"TRF" Member

Go to your local AD.

They will probably have both 36/41 DJ on hand and try em on. Much depends on your wrist size. The 36 was for decades the standard gentlemen's watch size. Nowadays it's more unisex but still a classic look.

The new 36 reference 126234 is now finding it way in the wild, but if you dont mind some slightly inferior technical differences you could probably get a discount on the 116234 model.

Also dont be afraid of searching the (reputable) gray market for bigger price breaks. Stay away from vintage, unless you trust the seller implicitly. Lots of scammers in the vintage Rolex game with todays pricing frenzy.

Then it's simply a matter of picking your combinations of bezel/bracelet/color

Also, for close to the same $ value take a look at Milgauss & Explorers if the DJ doesnt strike your fancy.
MercedesHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:53 PM   #7
skibrahma
"TRF" Member

Tried on new 126234 at an AD last week. Still had a silver dial 116234 but AD said no discount on either. Probably because I don't have relationship
skibrahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:55 PM   #8
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Contact Brian...I've bought several watches from him and he can get you what you are looking for at a good price! https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=21988

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 07:19 PM   #9
georgekart
"TRF" Member

As for DJ36 or DJ41, I'd say it depends on your wrist size. I have a relatively large wrist and DJ36 looks comically small on me. DJ41 is the right size for me so if I was to go for DJ, I'd do 41. If you have a smaller wrist, the 36 might be better for your wrist.

If I were you I'd go with Jubilee as IMO it looks better and more balanced on DJ. But it's personal choice.

I can not tell you about discounts at AD, but check out trusted sellers. DSW is a big name, OCWatchGuy (aka Patrick), Tony is "justrolexes", you can find him in classifieds. Just in general check out classifieds here and you can find a lot of sellers with good reputation that might have what you are looking for.

Will it hold value? I don't think it will. It is a dressier piece and they usually hold value worse, MOP diamond dial also holds value worse than usual dial combos, but don't let it stop you from getting it if it is what you want and like. If it sings to you, that's what matters.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 08:39 PM   #10
makrxx
Banned

On the topic of LA...I'm visiting for 7 days next week. How's the SS game in LA? Like the rest of the world? After a Sub or SD43
makrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 09:33 PM   #11
fania123
"TRF" Member

I have a 7 1/4 inch wrist and rock a 36 and wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s a classic
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:39 PM   #12
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadywaters View Post
Probably could get a discount on it -- maybe ask for 15% and take whatever is offered. Don't think there would be much value appreciation with this model at all.

If I were you and set on getting this model, I'd also ask for a hot SS sports model alongside it as a bundle -- pay only when both watches are ready for collection.

can you recommend a hot SS sports that is usually available and worth it?
Old 10 June 2019, 01:44 PM   #13
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
As for DJ36 or DJ41, I'd say it depends on your wrist size. I have a relatively large wrist and DJ36 looks comically small on me. DJ41 is the right size for me so if I was to go for DJ, I'd do 41. If you have a smaller wrist, the 36 might be better for your wrist.

If I were you I'd go with Jubilee as IMO it looks better and more balanced on DJ. But it's personal choice.

I can not tell you about discounts at AD, but check out trusted sellers. DSW is a big name, OCWatchGuy (aka Patrick), Tony is "justrolexes", you can find him in classifieds. Just in general check out classifieds here and you can find a lot of sellers with good reputation that might have what you are looking for.

Will it hold value? I don't think it will. It is a dressier piece and they usually hold value worse, MOP diamond dial also holds value worse than usual dial combos, but don't let it stop you from getting it if it is what you want and like. If it sings to you, that's what matters.
for it to hold better value would you recommend blue dial or dark rhodium? and with diamond set or no diamond set?

should i go with a classic black dial or what about white?
Old 10 June 2019, 01:45 PM   #14
shapa
"TRF" Member

If you want to buy a Rolex from an AD, one of your only available options is the DJ. As such, don't expect much if any discount.
In terms of 36 vs 41, there are many treads discussing this topic. Buy whichever one appeals to you. In my opinion, the DJ41 wears small and it's the perfect size for a man.
shapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 02:03 PM   #15
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
I wouldn’t buy any Datejust without a discount. They don’t hold their value like SS models do.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 04:27 PM   #16
Soultime
"TRF" Member

I think the new DJ41 in blue and Rhodium seem to be holding value pretty well.
A stunning watch in any combination (as is the 36).

Here's my 41 in Rhodium....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181213_151833-1024x573.jpg (190.0 KB, 320 views)
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 07:02 PM   #17
HypeChaser
"TRF" Member

Hit up Bhindi jewelers as they have two locations

Message me and I can refer you to someone to take care of you
HypeChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 07:23 PM   #18
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerm3 View Post
for it to hold better value would you recommend blue dial or dark rhodium? and with diamond set or no diamond set?

should i go with a classic black dial or what about white?
If you really care most about value retention, best DJ to me seems to be the Wimbledon dial. That being said I personally don't like it. So I wouldn't buy it just because it is more desirable. Next up on the list for value retention I'd place blue stick dial followed closely by rhodium. Diamond dials never really retain their value.

All in all, buy what you like. If you want a diamond dial you'll regret not getting it. Based on your name I assume you own an M3. Does the M3 retain its value well? No. But I assume you love it and it doesn't matter because you enjoy owning and driving it. Same for the watch. Buy what you like and be prepared to lose a bit if you want to sell. Even watches that are desirable now might be selling for pennies on the dollar later or vice versa. back in old days allegedly Daytonas were undesirable and cheap. Look at them now.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:24 AM   #19
08bonnie
"TRF" Member

This is my 126234, blue dial 36DJ. Can't imagine a more comfortable watch, i wear it all day and is perfect. Good luck on your search.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 10:09 AM   #20
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
On the topic of LA...I'm visiting for 7 days next week. How's the SS game in LA? Like the rest of the world? After a Sub or SD43
You might get lucky with a Sub. Very unlikely with a SD43 as a walk-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerm3 View Post
can you recommend a hot SS sports that is usually available and worth it?
Don't buy a watch because its "hot" and "worth it." Buy what sings to you. Based on your initial post on different DJ configurations and this one, I think you should spend some time looking at different models and figuring out what you really like. To answer your initial question, as a first-time customer looking for a discount I'd stay away from the major AD in West LA that has 3 locations. I don't think you're going to have any luck on getting any kind of discount from them. Friend of mine told me he recently went in looking at TT DJs and they would not budge on price at all.

Not sure whereabouts in SoCal you're located. As mentioned above, Bhindi is a good option. If you're closer to the South Bay, check out Morgan's in Torrance. If you're in the valley, check out Polacheck's in Calabasas.
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 10:27 AM   #21
ExplorerTime
Banned

Watch: 116200/14270
only here to vote 36 for dj
ExplorerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 11:07 AM   #22
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

thanks for everyone’s opinion, i really appreciate it! this forum is awesome!
Old 11 June 2019, 11:17 AM   #23
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

what about this new white mother of pearl set? will this hold value over blue and rhodium?

roman numeral dial or no?
Old 11 June 2019, 11:31 AM   #24
bimmerm3
"TRF" Member

how come no one likes the diamond set? too flashy?
Old 11 June 2019, 11:49 AM   #25
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Like some of the seniors mentioned here already, the best watch to find is to try them on at the ADs. Especially since you are not exactly sure what you want, both size and the model. Go for what ticks your heart instead of worrying about something holding value. Also, a diamond DJ would be too formal and restricted to special occasions, at least IMO.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote