The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 May 2019, 11:00 PM   #1
MLW2865
"TRF" Member

Upgrade?

Guys, I have been yearning to change up the collection for some time. I have the following:

116710blnr
16610lv

I have wanted to add gold to the collection and have always thought the 116655 was pretty sweet, but also pretty niche and not one I would get a ton of wear from. Recently, I came across a 50535 and it may not be as popular, but looks stunning. Like many, I have wanted to get a ceramic daytona but have basically given up on the dream as I refuse to pay current grey pricing.

Given funds (and a wife) I would need to flip the blnr or lv to upgrade to one of the gold watches. I feel the timing is good based on the market, but would it be crazy to get rid of one of those? I know at the end of the day it is all about what sings to me, but curious what you guys would do.
MLW2865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:04 PM   #2
iheartrolexx
Banned

get what you like the most
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:16 PM   #3
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I'd let the BLNR go and keep the LV as it is no longer in production and will likely become more desirable. I've done similar, fwiw.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:27 PM   #4
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'd let the BLNR go and keep the LV as it is no longer in production and will likely become more desirable. I've done similar, fwiw.
x2
How about the WG/YG Daytona on OF?
You like the YM on OF and the SS Daytona, add in the YG/WG and it sounds like it adds up to a winner for you
Old 29 May 2019, 11:28 PM   #5
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Me personally, I wouldn't trade any of my watches for either of those. If you are going to go with anything, I'd get the Yachtmaster. You'll probably get the most money selling the 16610LV. Is that the watch that makes the most sense to part with? Depends on you. I don't look at watches as investments (even though the 16610LV asking prices are ridiculous at the moment). If you sell the Submariner, you're acquiring another "watersports" watch in the Yachtmaster. I know they are not the same thing performance-wise, but they have very similar functionality. If you trade either the Explorer II or GMT-Master II you're getting rid of a redundant GMT complication, but now you have two dive bezel watches and one GMT.

Like I said, I'd hold steady with what you have. If you're dead set on getting something, I'd get the Yachtmaster. If you're going to get the Yachtmaster, the 16610LV will get you closer price-wise and likely makes the most sense given your collection.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:29 PM   #6
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

i wouldn't trade for either of those. i would trade for a OF daytona though, have you considered those?
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:35 PM   #7
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Upgrade?

You have malaise with a great trio.

My advice is take more time to save for the price of the model you want rather than trade one. You may soon regret losing any of the 3 you have more than the 1 new addition.

And if you buy preowned then you can flip it out if you don’t love it within a month or so. For example, the 50535 looks good to you now, but limited use of a dress watch may lead to disappointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:37 PM   #8
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLW2865 View Post
Guys, I have been yearning to change up the collection for some time. I have the following:

116710blnr
16610lv

I have wanted to add gold to the collection and have always thought the 116655 was pretty sweet, but also pretty niche and not one I would get a ton of wear from. Recently, I came across a 50535 and it may not be as popular, but looks stunning. Like many, I have wanted to get a ceramic daytona but have basically given up on the dream as I refuse to pay current grey pricing.

Given funds (and a wife) I would need to flip the blnr or lv to upgrade to one of the gold watches. I feel the timing is good based on the market, but would it be crazy to get rid of one of those? I know at the end of the day it is all about what sings to me, but curious what you guys would do.
Going to gold or TT from SS is not an upgrade. It's just buying a different Rolex.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:39 PM   #9
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Going to gold or TT from SS is not an upgrade. It's just buying a different Rolex.

I didn’t think he meant PM was an upgrade - just that he’s itching to get a gold watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #10
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’d personally get gold Daytona on OF...YG or WG, whichever you’d prefer. But, whatever gold piece speaks to you, I like the idea
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:28 AM   #11
vicsdca
Banned

I would part with the 216570 because this the easiest to replace if you end up regretting it.
vicsdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:30 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Go for the PM you like most, and use the SS to get you there.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 04:23 AM   #13
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Big fan of both the 116655 and 50535 here. I would easily let go of the EXP2 and the BLNR for either one. Little known fact; the Cellini has a the same independent hour hand featured in the GMT/EXP2, allowing you to use it easily as a travel watch.

But, if you're going for the YM, I would wait on the 126655, with the glide lock. That's what I'm doing.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 06:08 AM   #14
MLW2865
"TRF" Member

Thanks, guys. Yes, this was more of getting something different and with the pricing of SS models, gold is much more achievable. I agree I have a great trio and it would be painful to reconfigure the collection, but that everose gold is calling! First world dilemma...
MLW2865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 08:31 AM   #15
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Hold on to the LV, the rest you can find. I prefer the OF WG/YG Daytona over the YM. In the end, do what you feel most comfortable. I just think you will regret giving up your LV.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 08:40 AM   #16
TimingIsEverything
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLW2865 View Post

116710blnr
16610lv

Get rid of the BLNR. They have the new BLNR released with an updated movement, but it is only available on the jubilee band. Your 16610lv is surely a collector's piece because they are no longer manufactured. The BLNR is still manufactured in the said configuration. So, if you ever want to get it back, you can.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:22 PM   #17
Heff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimingIsEverything View Post
Get rid of the BLNR. They have the new BLNR released with an updated movement, but it is only available on the jubilee band. Your 16610lv is surely a collector's piece because they are no longer manufactured. The BLNR is still manufactured in the said configuration. So, if you ever want to get it back, you can.

The 116710BLNR is not still manufactured in said condition. It has a different movement and bracelet. That’s a different watch in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 06:41 AM   #18
amilch
"TRF" Member

The 50535 is an amazing piece. You should keep the LV and upgrade to the 50535.
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote