The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 June 2019, 10:11 PM   #31
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Out of interest, did the AD remove the stickers or keep the warranty card from the Submariner?
Stickers removed. Warranty card was given to me

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
theomegaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:18 PM   #32
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
What’s stopping everyone else who ‘genuinely’ wants a SS sub date from buying Hublot and then being offered the sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:22 PM   #33
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Most of the psychological studies on self gratification - from kids to educated professionals show that respondents express ethical concerns at somebody who has received a windfall and state that they would not duplicate the behaviour. When given the opportunity, they rationalise away their morals and make the grab like most others.

As the saying goes “Always back a horse called self interest”.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:23 PM   #34
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
How is a gift for your brother a tax write off. My CPA needs to understand that math
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:23 PM   #35
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Most of the psychological studies on self gratification - from kids to educated professionals show that respondents express ethical concerns at somebody who has received a windfall and state that they would not duplicate the behaviour. When given the opportunity, the rationalise away their morals and make the grab like most others.

Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:25 PM   #36
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesw20 View Post
How is a gift for your brother a tax write off. My CPA needs to understand that math
Never stated it was a tax write off

It was a write off in the sense that $xx budget was allocated to the gift already. As a result of my bundke deal the watch was had a 0.8*$xx

Old 7 June 2019, 10:27 PM   #37
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I don't think the OP did anything wrong nor is he personally causing or perpetuating the shortage. The shortage is caused by more people wanting the same thing. It's called supply and demand.

I think the real problem is the inflation of the prices of these things on the secondary market, which the OP took advantage of. And he didn't do bad - why shouldn't he take the free bag of money?

The problem, IMHO, is the people who buy these watches at over MSRP. If no one did this, then the secondary market would dry up, and there would be no flippers. It's that simple. If you can't buy it at the AD, then don't buy it. Or if you can't find a used one for less than the price of a new one, then don't buy it. The prices will come back down.

But people can't do that, not in today's world of instant gratification. And it's not just Rolex, it's Ferrari and limited models of mainstream cars like Porsche, BMW, etc.

The only possible mistake the OP made was sharing this story.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:27 PM   #38
Littletommy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Most of the psychological studies on self gratification - from kids to educated professionals show that respondents express ethical concerns at somebody who has received a windfall and state that they would not duplicate the behaviour. When given the opportunity, they rationalise away their morals and make the grab like most others.

Littletommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:30 PM   #39
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
LIttle hard for me to follow the story due to how it was written. As far as flipping watches, I have no problem with it.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:32 PM   #40
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I don't think the OP did anything wrong nor is he personally causing or perpetuating the shortage. The shortage is caused by more people wanting the same thing. It's called supply and demand.

I think the real problem is the inflation of the prices of these things on the secondary market, which the OP took advantage of. And he didn't do bad - why shouldn't he take the free bag of money?

The problem, IMHO, is the people who buy these watches at over MSRP. If no one did this, then the secondary market would dry up, and there would be no flippers. It's that simple. If you can't buy it at the AD, then don't buy it. Or if you can't find a used one for less than the price of a new one, then don't buy it. The prices will come back down.

But people can't do that, not in today's world of instant gratification. And it's not just Rolex, it's Ferrari and limited models of mainstream cars like Porsche, BMW, etc.

The only possible mistake the OP made was sharing this story.
Thank you. I am very much a capitalist and also an economist by education and you hit the nail on the head. I personally have gone off rolex because of the hype and inflation. And will spend my money on other brands that fill my horolgical needs. That being said I will never turn away free money lol

Old 7 June 2019, 10:35 PM   #41
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
Why did you immediately sell the Rolex Submariner?
This kind of flipping watches is one of the causes of the shortage of SS Rolex.

This

Problem meets cause

Standby for a new thread discussing the shortages ...........................
Old 7 June 2019, 10:36 PM   #42
Coolex
Banned

Yo0u should out the dealer so locals can call and complain and force the AD to come on here and claim this story is BS and then never say another word about it.
Coolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:37 PM   #43
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
No judgments here.

In this market, “All’s fair in [watches] and war”.
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:40 PM   #44
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolex View Post
Yo0u should out the dealer so locals can call and complain and force the AD to come on here and claim this story is BS and then never say another word about it.
i think you'll notice how carefully i phrased my original post to avoid this exact scenario

Old 7 June 2019, 10:41 PM   #45
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
Why did you immediately sell the Rolex Submariner?

This kind of flipping watches is one of the causes of the shortage of SS Rolex.

I didnt want it. Never have never did. But i got offered a free bag of money. Wasnt gonna say no to that

Old 7 June 2019, 10:42 PM   #46
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by theomegaaddict View Post
Hello all,

Ive been inspired to write this based on another thread here recently that's garnered a lot of attention.

Im not going to state that the OP of that thread was wrong or right. But im hoping that my story and experience sheds light on the fact that (big surprise) money talks and ADs will do what they need to do to meet their targets and goals.

This story takes place nearly exactly a month ago at a reputable AD in LONDON

Long story short

1) my brother has just graduated from his masters program and wants an entry level hublot as his gift from my mom (I know hublot right?? Still he wants what he wants)
2) I already have a great relationship with a hublot AD where i live and have a great price for the peice my brother wants
3) whilst visiting my brother in London for his grad ceremony we walk into this AD in a very popular london spot for him to try said hublot on for us
4) out of curioisty I ask AD what they can do as a price ofr this peice including vat return
5) AD gives a good price but is still above what i have it priced for back home witnout vat return or exchange fee hassle
6) i jokingly tell AD ill consider buying said entry level hublot from them if they rummage in the safe and give me a hot SS rolex
7) AD manager says let me see what I can do. 3 minutes later he emerges from the back and tells me he can throw in a rolex sub with date at msrp (plus i get vat back)
8) i nearly choke at this because basically the AD is giving me free money. He cant match the.price i got on the hublot but for some reason can give me a bag of free money instead
9) i take the hublot and rolex. The rolex is already sold btw. And i basically get the Hublot for a song. My brother is happy to get his watch. My mom is happy cause ive basically just saved her a bunch of money

Bottom line is. No idea why the AD gave me this bundle (in my opinion its insane) but it happened. And it happened at a big dealer in London which is one of the dryest places for SS rolex.
Also goes to prove further that its all about money. I had 0 history with this AD, my brother was wearing and IWC and me a JLC both brands that this AD had So maybe they thought they could get more out of us? But regardless 0 history and i got a fantastic deal and it must have made sense to the AD too (maybe they had a hublot target they needed to hit?)

Very few ADs will abide by the correct "moral code" and will be in it for their own interests.

I know a lot on here will also judge me for buying a rolex I didnt intend on keeping. But frankly how many of you would turn away a bag of free money if offered to you?

Just my convuluted (slightly tipsy at brunch) 2 cents

Have a great weekend everyone!

My two cents is that although on the surface this story made my face cringe as if I bit into a lemon. This is the Rolex universe we live in now. I don't blame OP one bit. He was offered an opportunity and he took it. He is not the cause of the sad current state of affairs us normal mortals are in when it comes to buying a hot SS Rolex.

The AD was not going to sell it to the next unassuming bloke that walked into the store. None of these watches are going to a normal retail purchaser. So I don't feel OP took this watch away from anybody who really wants just that watch. The AD would just bundled it with another watch to the next guy who could afford to pay for said bundle. There seems to be plenty of people willing and able to plunk down 37K for a PM model just to get their hands on a SS model. The ADs are just sitting back and cherry picking the best deals they want to do.

I blame ADs more than anyone else. But hey their in business to squeeze every dollar of profit out and the market is allowing this kind of retail behavior so they will ride the wave as long as possible. Not sure if there will be lots of former pissed off customers when the wave has run its course. We shall see.

If I walk into a store and am thinking of buying a watch other than Rolex and the AD tries to bait me into buying said watch by throwing in a BLNR or Daytona etc. I would have to ask myself am I Mary Poppins, the Flying Nun or stupid, should I turn the watch down so the next guy can have it. The answer is no. I would probably say that I wasn't really looking to buy a Rolex and wasn't really interested in it at the moment . So that when I did sell it and they had a problem with it I would say you offered it and I said I wasn't really looking for one.

If the AD says I'll sell you deal but you can't flip the Rolex and you do, well I think that's a little different story. I din't read where the AD told OP not to Flip it. So if the AD didn't care why should OP.

Like I said very sour tasting story but that's the way it is.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:47 PM   #47
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
An important piece of info we miss is what Hublot did your brother get...?

In any case, most of us don't have merely enough siblings to be completing Master's and PhD degrees in time to match our Rolex watch needs!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:51 PM   #48
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Bottom line you got a deal, brother got watch he wanted, someone got immediate gratification with new sub. I have no issues with deal.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:56 PM   #49
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Deal done along with thousands of identical deals.

All via the AD’s.

Enjoy the watch and the windfall.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #50
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:

That may be the case.

However, for the OP to come on an enthusiasts forum and brag that he has made money/flipped when there are loads of members here that would love to have purchased and cherished said watch makes for unpleasant reading.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:02 PM   #51
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
That may be the case.

However, for the OP to come on an enthusiasts forum and brag that he has made money/flipped when there are loads of members here that would love to have purchased and cherished said watch makes for unpleasant reading.
I'm not bragging. I'm shedding light. Making it cleaerer to those that still don't see it for what it is that the game is rigged

And that ultimately the way to change things is to change the demand. If peopke wont buy at over inflated prices then we wouldnt be in this situation.

Old 7 June 2019, 11:04 PM   #52
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
What?

I’m confused.

How is the AD giving you free money? Because the AD is allowing you to buy a sub at msrp?

Yes I get the point, that if you say “I’ll only buy it if...” the AD may be inclined to try to meet your demand in order to make a sale

But how is the AD giving you “a bag of money?”
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:05 PM   #53
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
What?

I’m confused.

How is the AD giving you free money? Because the AD is allowing you to buy a sub at msrp?

Yes I get the point, that if you say “I’ll only buy it if...” the AD may be inclined to try to meet your demand in order to make a sale

But how is the AD giving you “a bag of money?”
Was willing to buy hublot at $xx. AD in London could not match xx but instead offered the hublot + rolex which after flipping rolex resulted in hublot being 20% less than $xx. That 20% is the free money

Old 7 June 2019, 11:06 PM   #54
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
That may be the case.

I was going to write something along these lines but I couldn't have said it better than this...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:07 PM   #55
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Have no moral issues with the deal as stated - AD was holding this in safe for leverage so not like some poor enthusiast got denied..

However not sure the financial rewards are as good as implied... leaving aside the VAT saving; an entry level Hublot
HUBLOT CLASSIC FUSION BLUE TITANIUM 565.NX.7170.LR 38MM
Is £5500 in Watches of Switzerland

The same watch unworn with stickers, papers etc is available on Chrono24 for £3800 so almost £2k (35%) cheaper.

YMMV as not sure of the exact Hublot model or price new/grey but IMHO, any profit on the Sub could have just as easily been made by just going to a grey Hublot dealer - without the (slight) hassle of selling an unwanted Sub..
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:08 PM   #56
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by theomegaaddict View Post
Hello all,

Ive been inspired to write this based on another thread here recently that's garnered a lot of attention.

Im not going to state that the OP of that thread was wrong or right. But im hoping that my story and experience sheds light on the fact that (big surprise) money talks and ADs will do what they need to do to meet their targets and goals.

This story takes place nearly exactly a month ago at a reputable AD in LONDON

Long story short

1) my brother has just graduated from his masters program and wants an entry level hublot as his gift from my mom (I know hublot right?? Still he wants what he wants)
2) I already have a great relationship with a hublot AD where i live and have a great price for the peice my brother wants
3) whilst visiting my brother in London for his grad ceremony we walk into this AD in a very popular london spot for him to try said hublot on for us
4) out of curioisty I ask AD what they can do as a price ofr this peice including vat return
5) AD gives a good price but is still above what i have it priced for back home witnout vat return or exchange fee hassle
6) i jokingly tell AD ill consider buying said entry level hublot from them if they rummage in the safe and give me a hot SS rolex
7) AD manager says let me see what I can do. 3 minutes later he emerges from the back and tells me he can throw in a rolex sub with date at msrp (plus i get vat back)
8) i nearly choke at this because basically the AD is giving me free money. He cant match the.price i got on the hublot but for some reason can give me a bag of free money instead
9) i take the hublot and rolex. (The rolex is already sold btw). And i basically get the Hublot for a song. My brother is happy to get his watch. My mom is happy cause ive basically just saved her a bunch of money

Bottom line is. No idea why the AD gave me this bundle (in my opinion its insane) but it happened. And it happened at a big dealer in London which is one of the dryest places for SS rolex.
Also goes to prove further that its all about money. I had 0 history with this AD, my brother was wearing and IWC and me a JLC both brands that this AD had So maybe they thought they could get more out of us? But regardless 0 history and i got a fantastic deal and it must have made sense to the AD too (maybe they had a hublot target they needed to hit?)

Very few ADs will abide by the correct "moral code" and will be in it for their own interests.

I know a lot on here will also judge me for buying a rolex I didnt intend on keeping. But frankly how many of you would turn away a bag of free money if offered to you?

Just my convuluted (slightly tipsy at brunch) 2 cents

Have a great weekend everyone!

What's funny about this is that the AD got a better deal than you did. He sold a Hublot at MRSP

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:11 PM   #57
theomegaaddict
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCann0n View Post
Have no moral issues with the deal as stated - AD was holding this in safe for leverage so not like some poor enthusiast got denied..

However not sure the financial rewards are as good as implied... leaving aside the VAT saving; an entry level Hublot
HUBLOT CLASSIC FUSION BLUE TITANIUM 565.NX.7170.LR 38MM
Is £5500 in Watches of Switzerland

The same watch unworn with stickers, papers etc is available on Chrono24 for £3800 so almost £2k (35%) cheaper.

YMMV as not sure of the exact Hublot model or price new/grey but IMHO, any profit on the Sub could have just as easily been made by just going to a grey Hublot dealer - without the (slight) hassle of selling an unwanted Sub..
Your math would be sound except for

1) purchasing from chrono24 would have resulted in import customs + some import vat likely (also some discount on srp was had)
2) vat refund from buying the watches in person
3) the peace of mind of walking away with watches in hand having paid by credit card and gotten the watch right there and then vs paying by some other means abd waiting for it to be shipped etc

Old 7 June 2019, 11:13 PM   #58
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

But what about the person who was next up on the submariner “list”. Just proves most lists are mythical. $ talks.
whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:13 PM   #59
aparker973
"TRF" Member

You must think I'm an idiot then.

A local jeweler has had a NOS GMT LN on display for years "window dressing", priced at $7,000. Last week I walked by and asked if he was still selling at that price and he said yes. I told him it's a discontinued model now and he could get a few bucks more at this point - and to consider doing some research and adjusting his asking price. I don't know if he did but appreciated the info (he had no idea) and maybe it helps the local businessman in some small way (he has other Rolexes on display but its hardly his primary business- just window dressing).

Maybe when I was 21 I would have jumped at this "deal" of yours (and mine above). Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man now?
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2019, 11:15 PM   #60
EboneCapone
"TRF" Member

I think we could judge better if this was a "crazzzy bundle deal" if you gave specifics.

example:

"I bought hublot for 20k, sub for 9k. I could have got hublot for 18K from my AD, but i was able to sell sub for 14k, plus the VAT, making the actual cost of the Hublot 12k, saving 6k or 33% for my mom"

Without details really cant tell how "great" of a deal you got.
EboneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote