The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2019, 12:45 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

What to do if you own but don't love a hot model

Interesting situation. I have a hulk that I am not bonding with despite my best efforts. Usually I'd say no big deal and move it on for something else. But the hulk keeps going up in value, and who knows what will happen next. I say this not to make watches about speculation or investment or whatever, but because I'm thinking, if I am just a little patient with pursuing my next piece, I can probably trade the value rising hulk to get an even better (for me) watch in the future that is out of my current price range.

What do you think about holding on to a (pretty surefire) value riser you don't love to potentially parlay it into another price category in the future? To me it kinda sucks that I'm thinking that way about a watch, but on the other hand it just feels like the smart thing to do.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:01 AM   #2
bricksinthewall
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Wherever you are, that’s where you’re at. Just like stocks you can lose if you get greedy and try gamble on the very top end. You can suddenly find yourself chasing a price down. Pick a number you feel comfortable with selling at and sell if you get the price. Move on at that point and be happy with the next purchase.
& some classic 4 digits
bricksinthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:13 AM   #3
Brny11
"TRF" Member

What to do if you own but don't love a hot model

I wouldn’t wait for the watch to go up (I know that’s not necessarily what you plan to do), but definitely be patient for the next one that you buy... if the hulk goes up or down a bit, it still holds insane trade value for what it is.

Most definitely don’t hold it if you don’t like it. Unless you really are curious, then safe queen it and add a new watch. Again watches are so unpredictable, the hulk could be worth 10-12k in 30 years and airking worth 70-80k (not that I believe that) but with watches, like life, live for now.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:15 AM   #4
coaxial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 116610LN
Unless production finally ceases or Rolex decides to move it to a jubilee like the BLNR. I dont foresee the 116610LV holding that much value outside of being currently hard to get because of demand. If Rolex does do away or alters the LVs current aesthetic I think market value will fluctuate within reason of either factors besides demand.

If it was me, I would move it for a piece you will actually wear. Speculation is always a risk or reward.
coaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:17 AM   #5
kinggiamma
"TRF" Member

I had a GMT LN, really wanted to love the piece but could not whitstand the PCL so I sold it after 8 months for a a moonwatch plus Tudor BB gmt plus cash. I know that other deals could have been better but the two watches were the one I wanted so did not wait.

Inviato dal mio MI MAX 3 utilizzando Tapatalk
kinggiamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:22 AM   #6
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The market is strong for that watch now. I would move it and not wait although they may trend higher and probably not lower in the near term.
This way you get what you want and will wear. I had the green also. Okay when it is mint green but the full sunburst effect straight on in bright light was really not a nice look to me.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:24 AM   #7
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
If you’re not in love with it, you’ll likely have zero trouble moving it. If it was me, I’d move it along for something you like better and get whatever that is on your wrist today. No time like the present!
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:25 AM   #8
brandog
Banned

Keep it, the watch will be $18,000 this time next year.
brandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 01:39 AM   #9
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Have you considered taking it on a vacation? Sometimes the bonding process occurs then.

On a more serious note, hold it until about April 2020 and sell it right before Basel unless you want to risk it and if it gets discontinued... oh boy. You will have about a month or 2 where prices will skyrocket. If a new identical version gets announced a la Batman, it did go up for about a month I believe too. I think best time will be right before Basel anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:38 AM   #10
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I personally believe in wearing everything that I own. It MUST get wrist time.

If you find yourself not wearing a piece then it's time to sell it and move on.
Old 9 June 2019, 02:48 AM   #11
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
Swap it for one that do like.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:50 AM   #12
GMT Freak
"TRF" Member

Don't buy a watch because of the hype. Buy it because you like it.
GMT Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #13
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxial View Post
Unless production finally ceases or Rolex decides to move it to a jubilee like the BLNR. I dont foresee the 116610LV holding that much value outside of being currently hard to get because of demand. If Rolex does do away or alters the LVs current aesthetic I think market value will fluctuate within reason of either factors besides demand.

If it was me, I would move it for a piece you will actually wear. Speculation is always a risk or reward.
Sell it is you do not like it - it is HOT now, Dear Rolex please do not Jubilee it - I certainly don't want it like that!

As for hot models - there are plenty walking around that are not loved by their current partners! (Rod Stewart was always a fan of a hot model!)

Last edited by Daveclock; 9 June 2019 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: doofus
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #14
Houston77
"TRF" Member

You flip it. I enjoyed but did not love my 114060. Flipped it to fund a Breitling SOH II and a Speedmaster. Much happier.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 02:58 AM   #15
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I always believe in moving it on if I’m not wearing or bonding with it. This is a tough one though...the current value will probably stay or move up slightly, but the unknown is whether it will get discontinued, or simply get a new movement.
I’d wait around until after Basel. If you want to move it then, at least you’ll know exactly where it stands and you can only gain monetarily (IMO)
Also...it’s a beautiful piece , but I know it’s not for everyone.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:00 AM   #16
justjay82
"TRF" Member

The Hulk market is so strong right now. I’d sell for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 03:05 AM   #17
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
lot's of hot models have been dumped before.
Rado63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:04 AM   #18
CharlesN
"TRF" Member

Watch: I love them all.
I do as I did today ...

I have (Or should i say had) a 126710 BLRO.
I did not bond with it at all.

I sold it today.
CharlesN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:13 AM   #19
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
For those of you who don't think we are in a bubble, whether beginning, middle, or end-phase, the OP's post is a classic sign of bubble territory behavior. And another reason why it is so hard to get the watches we want in a retail environment.

The end will be ugly for the "investors" its just a matter of when that occurs.

OP no offense to you, my recommendation is sell your watch and get one that you want to keep and wear.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:24 AM   #20
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Sell it now & get the best price you can , then buy something you really want . I really wanted a SubC & bought one brand new when you could see one in a ADs display walk in & buy it ,but I really failed to enjoy it like I thought I would . It ended up sat in its box for nearly two years unworn , & traded it for a LV which just gives me so much more joy . I now know 5 digit refs are where I'm happiest . Most of us have had buyers remorse at some point in the world of wis , but it can be fixed easily if you just look for a watch that really sings to you
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (170.1 KB, 965 views)
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:27 AM   #21
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
For those of you who don't think we are in a bubble, whether beginning, middle, or end-phase, the OP's post is a classic sign of bubble territory behavior. And another reason why it is so hard to get the watches we want in a retail environment.

The end will be ugly for the "investors" its just a matter of when that occurs.

OP no offense to you, my recommendation is sell your watch and get one that you want to keep and wear.
Hi no offense, but curious as to what exactly is my "bubble territory behaviour"? If you are implying I bought the watch for a primary reason other than to like it and keep it, that would be false. I gave away my date sub to my dad and picked up a ND, thought the hulk would complement it well. Just not bonding with it as I thought.

But perhaps you're referring to something else as "bubble territory behaviour"? Please elaborate.
Old 9 June 2019, 04:28 AM   #22
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I would sell it. I’ve sold many hot models I tired of and moved on.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:30 AM   #23
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
Sell it now & get the best price you can , then buy something you really want . I really wanted a SubC & bought one brand new when you could see one in a ADs display walk in & buy it ,but I really failed to enjoy it like I thought I would . It ended up sat in its box for nearly two years unworn , & traded it for a LV which just gives me so much more joy . I now know 5 digit refs are where I'm happiest . Most of us have had buyers remorse at some point in the world of wis , but it can be fixed easyily if you just look for a watch that really sings to you
That looks beautiful!

I think my plan is to keep on trying to bond, to the point of exhaustion, just to be extra sure I have no regrets and don't look back.

I have not tried taking it on vacation yet as mentioned above, that might be worth a shot!

And then if still no go I will move it on for something else.
Old 9 June 2019, 04:34 AM   #24
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Get rid. Lots of hot models aren't my cup of tea. I wouldn't waste my time trying. Dump that &¡+¢#.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:39 AM   #25
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
I would sell the LV now that it's hot, absolutely.

Bear in mind it's a very polarising colour, ever changing depending on lighting so that's another issue to me as I like dial colour to remain stable and not go berserk under the sunlight..

The vast majority of potential Sub buyers will prefer black.

Get rid of it now while you can and count your blessings.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:40 AM   #26
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
That looks beautiful!

I think my plan is to keep on trying to bond, to the point of exhaustion, just to be extra sure I have no regrets and don't look back.

I have not tried taking it on vacation yet as mentioned above, that might be worth a shot!

And then if still no go I will move it on for something else.
Best wishes to you in whatever you choose to do & just remember this ,the world of wis is a journey full of twists & turns . The style of watch that maybe doesn't sing to you today ,may just be the one that become the classic over time that you just couldn't be without
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:44 AM   #27
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Very simple if you don't like it sell it and get something you like
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:49 AM   #28
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:

But perhaps you're referring to something else as "bubble territory behaviour"? Please elaborate.
No implication there whatsoever, my impression is you thought you would love the LV but upon acquisition realised it's just not for you. Here's what I was specifically referring to:

Quote:
But the hulk keeps going up in value, and who knows what will happen next. I say this not to make watches about speculation or investment or whatever, but because I'm thinking, if I am just a little patient with pursuing my next piece, I can probably trade the value rising hulk to get an even better (for me) watch in the future that is out of my current price range.
You are contemplating holding a piece with the thought that the value will increase, logically because the values have been increasing. The problem is when enough people start doing this it leads to a speculative market where goods get purchased with no intent to use them for their purpose other than as an investment.

At a certain inflection point prices become unsustainable and start to drop. Then speculators want out and decide to pop the safe and sell to get out. Supply dramatically increases with limited buyers and then the bubble normalizes/deflates/pops.

There's a lot more to it and this is just my observation and opinion that this market doesn't appear to be sustainable in the *long* term. For all I know Rolex secondary prices could triple over the next three years. I'm not suggesting things are about to tank, I'm just saying this is one sign of behavior that leads to a bubble.

Again, no offense to you I think you have a great watch and are lucky to be able to sell at a premium to find something that suits you better.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 04:50 AM   #29
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

I would put it away for a year and your taste may change in that time, open up the box after having not seen it for a year and see how it goes. It is certainly not going down any time soon (in value)
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2019, 05:28 AM   #30
s7horton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB, 126610…..
I sold my Hulk a week ago. I bought it 3 years ago before everyone had to have one. I very much enjoyed my time with it and wore it every day. But, I’m moving to PM and can’t afford to keep both. I was debating the same thing. (Do I hold it an extra week, just in case?). Ultimately I decided the watch had never been worth money than it was when I sold it. I let it go. Will the value rise? Maybe. But as someone else said, there is risk and reward. I wasn’t willing to risk the increase in value that had already happened.

I’m not a flipper. I buy watches to wear, but in this case, the hulk did a nice job at getting me to where I ultimately wanted to end up. With a PM.
s7horton is offline   Reply With Quote