The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 June 2019, 10:20 AM   #1
ReclinerTimer
"TRF" Member

What is the success rate of even getting on a wait list?

Kind of a silly question, but how often are AD's even taking a customers information who come in inquiring about a high demand piece like BLRO or white Daytona without a sales history at the AD? Obviously, being on a list doesn't come close to guaranteeing you will ever get the watch, but are they willing to take anyones information? I'd like to at least get my name out there as being interested if something crazy happens and I got the call. I know there are those rare stories where a customer gets a BLRO with no sales history, or one who comes in asking for a BLNR and he gets one on the spot, so anyone can dream
ReclinerTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
100% chance of getting on the list.

About 2% chance of getting called in the future.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:30 AM   #3
oxzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

^^this

Every AD I have called is quite polite and is very happy to put me on a list. Ben bridge at least doesn't really have a true central list each salesperson has their own list and even then they don't tend to keep track of it. I spoke to one salesperson about 6 months ago and had my name on a list and I called back to inquire about a watch and it act like they never heard from me and put me on a list again. Meaning I think they just write your stuff down and throw it away after some time hahah

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
oxzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:34 AM   #4
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
There is only a waitlist for existing clients.

The salesperson stores that list in his/her head.
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:35 AM   #5
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Non existent now. What’s the point?
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:46 AM   #6
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
"Wait list" easy, but chances of getting the watch is probably the same chance as you winning $11k from a pokies machine. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:49 AM   #7
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxzilla View Post
^^this

Every AD I have called is quite polite and is very happy to put me on a list. Ben bridge at least doesn't really have a true central list each salesperson has their own list and even then they don't tend to keep track of it. I spoke to one salesperson about 6 months ago and had my name on a list and I called back to inquire about a watch and it act like they never heard from me and put me on a list again. Meaning I think they just write your stuff down and throw it away after some time hahah

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Hahaha, that's awesome! I appreciate the experiment.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
They take your interest and than the rest is history.......... Unless you decide to buy something very expensive which you do not desire in order to get what you want, in that case miracles do happen

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:30 AM   #9
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
My take is that even if you get accepted on the so called “waiting list”, you won’t get the watch. I am not being pessimistic, rather I’m just speaking from personal experience. I’ve spent serious money at my local Rolex ADs but, not necessarily on Rolex (because they don’t have the variants I want) yet, no amount of spending has changed anything. For instance, I’m at +20k this year alone on diamonds/gold/pearls and GF trinkets from the AD yet, can’t get Hulk, Btman, blro, daytona, sd43, ronr, etc. I just buy grey and pay the premium.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:32 AM   #10
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Random AD SA told me to buy a Platona at MSRP then, she'll "try" to put my name on the list for a Bat/Pepsi.
She said no discount due to their lack of sales, and this is how they make up for lost commissions.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:56 AM   #11
peterpl
Banned

You can get on an imaginary list.

No AD these days (well very very few) will sell to the end customer now for pieces fetching a massive premium. Why would they? They are just throwing money away into your pocket.

Might as well flip direct to a gray dealer and make more.

Rolex supply and distribution model is f***ked up - not sure what they can do but its now hurting the brand when you cant buy any hot pieces from ADs but everything and anytime from grays.

Everyone knows whats happening now.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:01 PM   #12
MinMay
Banned

Where have you been? Most people are still waiting from the list when the watch was first announced 4- years ago for the Ceramic White Daytona.

or if you're well connected to an AD, then you can get as many as you desire with no waiting period :)

or spend a lot of money....
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:15 PM   #13
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Some ADs say you are on the list some say sorry can’t add you to the list.
What difference does it make being told you are on the list? Placates you a little.
Old 10 June 2019, 01:46 PM   #14
David5807
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

I don't really believe that there is an actual list anymore. I think that you just have to build and or have a relationship with a SA.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 01:49 PM   #15
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
Guys, there's no such thing as a waitlist for new customers. There is an interest list, maybe, but that's dependent on the salesman. You will never get a phone call on a Daytona without either buying something else or doing a big favor for your salesperson.
Old 10 June 2019, 11:55 PM   #16
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Every dealer has different practices. Seems like the primary key to getting watches you want are the following:

1. Having purchase history / Buying PM / starting relationship with SA
2. Dropping in to AD regularly / keeping in touch
3. Being likeable
4. Referring business
5. Being patient

Obviously none of these are a guarantee but put you in a better position than the average person who just walks in. There are obviously posts from people who have "gotten lucky" and had no purchase history so I'm sure it does happen but the majority of people getting these hard to get pieces are doing a few if not all of those things I listed out above.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:31 AM   #17
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
I'm on the waitlist for the waitlist.
Old 11 June 2019, 12:34 AM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReclinerTimer View Post
Kind of a silly question, What is the success rate of even getting on a wait list?
A better question would be "who has ever seen an actual list that is being used to allocate inventory?"
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:38 AM   #19
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdullah71601 View Post

3%
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:40 AM   #20
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
What is the success rate of even getting on a wait list?

There is no list, nor has there ever been a list. There are just names of people that an AD could quote to you - as to who will get the high demand pieces.

Also - going into an AD and buying anything (regardless of value) is not going to guarantee anything either.

Calling a random AD will get you put onto an imaginary list to make for a short phone call.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:02 AM   #21
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Don't think of it as a "rate" or statistic. Think of it as the right circumstances.

By just about every metric I am not a VIP, but pop in from time to time to say hi, see what's fresh (from Rolex and otherwise), have a nice chat, and occasionally make a purchase. The salesperson I talk to at the local AD knows I'm just a typical guy, and he likely wouldn't go out of his way to allocate me a Rainbow Daytona. If a motivated buyer walks in I politely GTFO and stop wasting time & space.

However, he also knows I don't get on lists just to "be on the list". If I ask him for something, it means I really want it for myself and will wear it with frequency, no baloney. And, with some patience, I may get it.

Some people can bulldoze the situation by being a big buyer/VIP, some are celebrities, some are super charming, some are lucky, some are unlucky.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:11 AM   #22
Tavi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
They take your interest and than the rest is history.......... Unless you decide to buy something very expensive which you do not desire in order to get what you want, in that case miracles do happen

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

This was my recent experience as well. Even with established relationship with an AD where I purchased 3 watches before and brought a couple of other folks who bought more stuff...they want me to buy PM. Another AD where I don’t have a relationship came right out and said it - they even pulled a SkyDweller SS Blue from the safe - told me if I buy a PM at retail they will sell me the SkyDweller as well. All at retail. They had other less desirable SS models they would sell in a package with a DJ...

It is a package world if you want AD. Otherwise, grey it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 01:33 AM   #23
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Every dealer has different practices. Seems like the primary key to getting watches you want are the following:

1. Having purchase history / Buying PM / starting relationship with SA
2. Dropping in to AD regularly / keeping in touch
3. Being likeable
4. Referring business
5. Being patient

Obviously none of these are a guarantee but put you in a better position than the average person who just walks in. There are obviously posts from people who have "gotten lucky" and had no purchase history so I'm sure it does happen but the majority of people getting these hard to get pieces are doing a few if not all of those things I listed out above.
I would say 1 and 3 would be priority,,,,
A bit of charisma can travel a long way also imo,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote