The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 24 February 2021, 07:54 PM   #61
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Fake pix or not, this is either just a dealer promoting his inventory or some insecure dude showing off.
And IMHO opinion, there is a huge difference between the love for watches and the love for showing off watches.
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 01:50 AM   #62
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Ha like this one ?
It’s my wife’s wedding gift from me . Hope she doesn’t know what a piece of doo doo she has - she loves it :-)) james in San Antonio Tx
Well, first of all, remember: you are reaching modern Bentley criticism from a guy driving a 2013 Volvo, so there's that...

However, the context in which I am critical of them is not as cars, but as Bentleys. What made a Bentley unique was how it was designed, engineered and built (i.e. prior to VW injecting itself into much of this).

When I think of a two-door Bentley Continental, I'm thinking something more like this one below.

Again, though, it cannot be overstated: this all comes from a guy driving an eight-year-old Volvo...
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 02:05 AM   #63
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Doesn't really do anything for me, IG is filled with this level of excess, hardly unusual anymore. Guy is probably a watch dealer.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 02:34 AM   #64
bob101
"TRF" Member

Dealer for sure.. For me shows no class and desperate for social media attention., know lots folk with serious collections, they’re as low key ad you could imagine. These are the real collectors.
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 02:45 AM   #65
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Or more than one watch?

Notice even this guy can’t get a steel 5711.
It’s on his other arm.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 11:24 AM   #66
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
this background is in Hanoi Vietnam. he's a watch dealer and has some roots with a famous General who passed away a few years ago
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 11:09 PM   #67
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
By impressive do you mean Douche?

Look at his shoes. Tells the whole story.
Hah. Look at the Jeans as well. Serious Douchery going on in that photo.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2021, 11:54 PM   #68
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Because this individual doesn’t give a crap about watches. He is more interested in letting you know that he owns a bunch of expensive watches.

Maybe I’m getting old and cranky and senile but social media has destroyed this country with the desire to let everyone know what you have and how good life is.
I equate SM as being like one big high school, where superficial things like good looks, being cool and having expensive material items like cars and clothes are the most important thing, I suppose we grow out of this as we mature but SM is still in its infancy and teenage years so this is not going away any time soon.

Thus I feel lucky to have skipped this eternal high school mentality, but do feel sorry for those in their twenties/thirties who can't ever leave this Hotel California it seems.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 12:28 AM   #69
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I equate SM as being like one big high school, where superficial things like good looks, being cool and having expensive material items like cars and clothes are the most important thing, I suppose we grow out of this as we mature but SM is still in its infancy and teenage years so this is not going away any time soon.

Thus I feel lucky to have skipped this eternal high school mentality, but do feel sorry for those in their twenties/thirties who can't ever leave this Hotel California it seems.

It truly is sad and people think that what they see on social media is reality. There is a YouTuber that ive seen who posts a bunch about cars. He made a video about how he bought a Bugatti.

Now to me, if Im buying a Bugatti, a million dollar car, that means I have a net worth north of 20 million and more than 10 million liquid. MINIMUM. Anything less, are you nuts spending so much of your net worth on a depreciating asset?

Well- to his credit he shares how he had to buy the Bugatti and finance it and he put 500k down and financed the rest. His statement that still rings true in my ears - "If I put anymore down, I would have been wiped out with no cash left at all"

Seriously?? You just bought a Bugatti and pretty much wiped out your nest egg? I guess the video views will give him cash flow but there in a nutshell is social media. Look at all I have to show you- just dont look behind the curtain.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 01:28 AM   #70
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It truly is sad and people think that what they see on social media is reality. There is a YouTuber that ive seen who posts a bunch about cars. He made a video about how he bought a Bugatti.

Now to me, if Im buying a Bugatti, a million dollar car, that means I have a net worth north of 20 million and more than 10 million liquid. MINIMUM. Anything less, are you nuts spending so much of your net worth on a depreciating asset?

Well- to his credit he shares how he had to buy the Bugatti and finance it and he put 500k down and financed the rest. His statement that still rings true in my ears - "If I put anymore down, I would have been wiped out with no cash left at all"

Seriously?? You just bought a Bugatti and pretty much wiped out your nest egg? I guess the video views will give him cash flow but there in a nutshell is social media. Look at all I have to show you- just dont look behind the curtain.
You seem to of been incredibly judgemental throughout this thread.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 01:49 AM   #71
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:

That guys lives in my city

While I'm not defending his finances, imagine replacing the Bugatti with any business. That's what that is. He is investing into his business the way he wants too.
If someone said, "I invested my entire nest egg into my *dental practice* and financed the rest" We would probably just wish them the best of luck.
YouTube and content creation is unconventional and not my forte, but people make money doing it. That is their business.

I don't know that guy personally, but mutual acquaintances have said he's very polite, and loves to share his passion for cars.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 04:50 AM   #72
Jetrider
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex DeepSea
That’s an insane collection of Patek but Richard Mille is frickin horrific. Not to mention it’s pretty much regarded as the preferred timepiece of rap artists, drug dealers and Hollywood D-bags.
Jetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 09:33 AM   #73
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
You seem to of been incredibly judgemental throughout this thread.
Yes. It’s called a discussion forum and I’m discussing my opinion.
Old 26 February 2021, 09:37 AM   #74
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamSLC View Post

While I'm not defending his finances, imagine replacing the Bugatti with any business. That's what that is. He is investing into his business the way he wants too.
If someone said, "I invested my entire nest egg into my *dental practice* and financed the rest" We would probably just wish them the best of luck.
YouTube and content creation is unconventional and not my forte, but people make money doing it. That is their business.

I don't know that guy personally, but mutual acquaintances have said he's very polite, and loves to share his passion for cars.
Yeah that’s a fair point. Just a different level of confort I guess with the financial outlay on a car relative to his net worth.

But I guess what surprised me more was that I thought the you tubers were killing it- making millions. And this guy has millions of followers. Just thought he would have made more money from his channel. I did appreciate the honesty so I guess that is something.
Old 26 February 2021, 11:06 AM   #75
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

The difference is that there are significant barriers to opening a dental practice. Like being a dentist. Plus, even if the dental practice fails (for business, not care quality, reasons), the guy is still a dentist, and there's still plenty of demand for dentists - he'll make it back most likely.

In theory, the only barrier to Bugatti-buying digital stardom is money and there are probably more guys out there with a half-million dollars and decent credit than there are dentists. So, any schmuck who meets that threshold could replace this guy by having a slightly more popular Bugatti-buying video.
Old 26 February 2021, 01:58 PM   #76
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Yeah that’s a fair point. Just a different level of confort I guess with the financial outlay on a car relative to his net worth.

But I guess what surprised me more was that I thought the you tubers were killing it- making millions. And this guy has millions of followers. Just thought he would have made more money from his channel. I did appreciate the honesty so I guess that is something.
I wouldn't be comfortable with that either, but I don't know anything about Youtubers/content influencers. He sure has gone through a lot of cars, obviously his passion. I googled it and it looks like he used to be an accountant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
The difference is that there are significant barriers to opening a dental practice. Like being a dentist. Plus, even if the dental practice fails (for business, not care quality, reasons), the guy is still a dentist, and there's still plenty of demand for dentists - he'll make it back most likely.

In theory, the only barrier to Bugatti-buying digital stardom is money and there are probably more guys out there with a half-million dollars and decent credit than there are dentists. So, any schmuck who meets that threshold could replace this guy by having a slightly more popular Bugatti-buying video.
Ok, not a dentist. BBQ restaurant, Bar, Landscaping business, CRE, Apartment building, House flipper, Car dealer, Yoga Studio, Youtuber etc.

All require some capital and some (different) skills. My only point is that a $500k investment into a business of running a Youtube channel is the one this fella chose. I'll admit I don't think I could do it.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 02:58 PM   #77
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
The internet would be incredibly boring if it didn’t have all types of characters.

Posts such as the one which OP shows, are de riguer in the world of insta hype. No harm no foul.
Old 26 February 2021, 03:07 PM   #78
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Man, tough crowd!
I actually thought it was a pretty decent attempt at creating a completely over the top luxury watch pic.
Even the shoes might be fun at the right party. You guys are so harsh! LOL
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 11:00 PM   #79
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

Ok, not a dentist. BBQ restaurant, Bar, Landscaping business, CRE, Apartment building, House flipper, Car dealer, Yoga Studio, Youtuber etc.

All require some capital and some (different) skills. My only point is that a $500k investment into a business of running a Youtube channel is the one this fella chose. I'll admit I don't think I could do it.
Good point. On that basis, I think it's only fair to upgrade this to "questionable business decision" from "stupid life decision" status!

Now, if this guy already pays himself a $500,000 salary from his YouTube business, meets all other operating expenses, and then spends the last half-million left in the corporation on the car (as a business asset)... then rock on. Now we're witnessing the subtle difference between "being in debt to make stupid purchases" and "being leveraged to make risky purchases" :D.
Old 28 February 2021, 03:38 AM   #80
adao
"TRF" Member

The owner of this picture is grandson of Vietnam Vo Nguyen Giap general. He is dealer which targets to crazy rich customers. So you can guess purpose of the show off pictures. You can see Cong Cafe brand on the picture, Cộng means communist on Vietnamese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:30 AM   #81
DGP
"TRF" Member

If he is a dealer, when he next sells a watch maybe he can afford a new pair of jeans and a pair of socks.
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 04:52 AM   #82
Sunny_Submariner
"TRF" Member

This looks like the work of good 'ol Photoshop
Sunny_Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 05:27 AM   #83
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Patek, R.Mille and Rolls Royce.

Impressive
Didn’t see a SS 5711/1A in the pic, so it truly must be “unobtainium”
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:37 AM   #84
capital
"TRF" Member

How do the watches at 2, 8 and 10 on the steering wheel not fall down?
capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2021, 11:47 PM   #85
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
its looks photo shopped to me
irish john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:14 AM   #86
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish john View Post
its looks photo shopped to me
What about the image suggests photoshop rather than a staged photo with pincushion distortion?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:25 AM   #87
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Patek, R.Mille and Rolls Royce.

Impressive
All that money for watches and none left for pants without holes or actual footwear.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:33 AM   #88
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about the image suggests photoshop rather than a staged photo with pincushion distortion?
It does seem that more than a few of the watches are somehow immune to gravity but I also don't care enough one way or the other to investigate or debate about it. I kinda feel the same about it as a picture regardless of how it was created.

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:36 AM   #89
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
All that money for watches and none left for pants without holes or actual footwear.

Haha! Just what I thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 01:49 AM   #90
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
Quote:
look at the arm with the 5711r's on ,, its a very straight line on the lower edge and something about the shape is not quite right
irish john is offline   Reply With Quote