The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 5 September 2015, 02:25 PM   #1
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
5159r thoughts and a few pictures

I can't get this reference out of my head. Today at a local AD, I tried on the "g" and the "r". I never imagined I'd be interested in a gold-colored watch, but a dress watch with a brown strap, and for the "5159r" in this instance, it just works.

I've read past posts about why this reference was bought, and then subsequently flipped. I tried it on today, and while it's thicker than some other PC Pateks, it wears well. It's not top heavy, IMHO. It's elegant.

For what watch did others flip this, or what did they buy instead?

Present and prior owners of this watch, your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are a few wrist shots from today.

Old 5 September 2015, 03:11 PM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

This is a beautiful watch indeed and I have tried on all three metal colors. There are probably many different reasons why people sell their PC watches. But it is useful to know that reference 5050 and 5059 that pre-dates the 5159 is available for a lot less in the secondary market, although they are both a bit smaller (2mm) than the 5159. The same is true with the 5140 and the 3940. When you are talking about a $20K+ price difference between a current reference and its predecessor, I think it is prudent to consider the alternative. However if you love the watch, I would say go for it!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2015, 04:50 PM   #3
de66
"TRF" Member

Nice watch, nice design,
Most people seem to complain about the legibility of the calendar functions compared to other models.
de66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2015, 08:17 PM   #4
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I really wanted to like this PP but I had trouble reading all the information on the dial. Especially the calendar functions.
Old 5 September 2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Abdullasaif
"TRF" Member

Watch: bipolar
It's cool but never liked the Roman numerals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abdullasaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2015, 12:08 PM   #6
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
This is one of my favorite watches. It is understated yet it is in your face when you start to look at all of the details from the case, lugs, large sweep second hand, and the dial.

The dial might seem confusing if you just glance at it but the information is super east to read. The date hand has a bright but discrete red arrow that gives up that info at at glance. Besides the time, that is why we look at our wrists (except to admire the merchandise that is).

The month and day are of much lesser importance and are nicely in view but not over powering. The only thing I am not wild about is the top window which displays the quarter. Its location is more prominent than it needs to be and when you first get it, you might, just for an instant, think it is the date. I kind of wish it were not at the top but I really do not see where else they could put it with all of the symmetry of this watch.

It is an elegant piece that can be worn by day or night and it also can be worn with casual clothes. I like that versatility and wear mine regularly alone with my other handful of watches including a Pt Daytona like you have. The 5159 is a nice contrast to the Daytona. Of course all of my watches are contrasts with each other. Gives good choice when deciding for the day.
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2015, 03:21 AM   #7
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

5159r thoughts and a few pictures

Thanks for all the feedback. Very useful.

jon_jon, the idea of looking at the 5159 predecessors is a good thought, although I've never bought used so I would need to get over that mental hurdle. I've recently seen a few 5059 for sale, but I know I like the size of the 5159.

cardstock, I agree that there are so many incredible details on the dial. And I agree it would be a great pairing with the Platona, and you have real-world experience inasmuch! Congrats to you!
Old 7 September 2015, 03:24 AM   #8
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I had the chance to see one in person and I was a bit underwhelmed, pictures seemed to show it better than it looked live.
Old 7 September 2015, 05:49 AM   #9
toomuchtalk
"TRF" Member

Fantastic piece. I find it better in person...I also find it very easy to read...

When you go on the factory tour and visit the grand complication display- it's on the table ....
toomuchtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 01:13 AM   #10
KarlS
Banned

An old thread I know but this has peaked my interest especially around legibility. Surprising everyone finds it hard to read as I just love those hands. The downside is that this doesn't seem as popular as the 5327 and others do guess resale won't be easy
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 02:25 AM   #11
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I am not a fan of Roman numerals. Beautiful watch though
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 02:32 AM   #12
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
very sophisticated design

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 02:51 AM   #13
aw662
"TRF" Member

Watch: Date Just ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
An old thread I know but this has peaked my interest especially around legibility. Surprising everyone finds it hard to read as I just love those hands. The downside is that this doesn't seem as popular as the 5327 and others do guess resale won't be easy

I've loved this ever since I saw it at the Patek event I think we both attended. I love everything about it. My only problem is I don't think it would get much wear for me personally.

aw662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 04:08 AM   #14
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw662 View Post
I've loved this ever since I saw it at the Patek event I think we both attended. I love everything about it. My only problem is I don't think it would get much wear for me personally.

It's tough call. I am going to try and find one to try on...I like the fly back date as something unusual
Old 24 July 2016, 04:46 AM   #15
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm done for a while, but I'm still very interested in this watch. It brings me back to days of old. I think it goes great in a collection.

It has so much that I want. I love the officer's-style case, the dust cover hinge back, and the screws that hold the strap to the lugs. I also think the style and size of the crown is perfect. If this comes in platinum, I will make room and own it.

As for resale, I agree it's probably a tough one, so buy it right.

Here's a link I found on YouTube of this watch. Nicely done, IMHO.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnXJ3jfYUlk
Old 24 July 2016, 06:52 AM   #16
aw662
"TRF" Member

Watch: Date Just ii
Quote:
It's tough call. I am going to try and find one to try on...I like the fly back date as something unusual

There's many features of this watch I adore. The craftsmanship is exquisite. I just feel this is a more formal watch. With other watches in a collection I don't have enough occasions to warrant buying it. I would like to see one in the flesh again.

aw662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 10:34 AM   #17
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
I have tried one before and it's a very elegant piece. I love the dust hinge cover at the back. If I wanted a PC, this would be one to consider. Personally, I'd prefer it over the 5140.

Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 11:44 AM   #18
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Do you like the center dial texture? Sometimes I really like it and other times I find it very pronounced. Beautiful watch for sure.
Old 24 July 2016, 01:04 PM   #19
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Do you like the center dial texture? Sometimes I really like it and other times I find it very pronounced. Beautiful watch for sure.

It's another one of the features I really like, and I personally never felt it was too much.
Old 24 July 2016, 01:28 PM   #20
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I'm done for a while, but I'm still very interested in this watch. It brings me back to days of old. I think it goes great in a collection.

It has so much that I want. I love the officer's-style case, the dust cover hinge back, and the screws that hold the strap to the lugs. I also think the style and size of the crown is perfect. If this comes in platinum, I will make room and own it.

As for resale, I agree it's probably a tough one, so buy it right.

Here's a link I found on YouTube of this watch. Nicely done, IMHO.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tnXJ3jfYUlk
You chose the 5140P over this. Was it mainly the blue dial which is fantastic? I like the slimness of the 5140 but want a. Ha ge to the dials for day / month. I think a 5205 in PC would be a choice...I can get that if I just add a repeater to the equation and powerball...be good to see what swayed you
Old 24 July 2016, 01:50 PM   #21
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You chose the 5140P over this. Was it mainly the blue dial which is fantastic? I like the slimness of the 5140 but want a. Ha ge to the dials for day / month. I think a 5205 in PC would be a choice...I can get that if I just add a repeater to the equation and powerball...be good to see what swayed you

Why I chose the 5140p, in no particularly order:

*Platinum
*Blue dial (easier to dress up and down, IMHO)
*Slimness
*240 movement (big fan of this movement)
*Discontinued and a fairly short production run on this dial and case (a nice perk, but probably not at the top of this list)
Old 24 July 2016, 02:04 PM   #22
Ticknaway
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Beautiful, that's all I can say.
Ticknaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 03:53 PM   #23
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
It's a beautiful watch but would think reading the date would be hard enough...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 04:25 PM   #24
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Why I chose the 5140p, in no particularly order:

*Platinum
*Blue dial (easier to dress up and down, IMHO)
*Slimness
*240 movement (big fan of this movement)
*Discontinued and a fairly short production run on this dial and case (a nice perk, but probably not at the top of this list)
Slimness is huge for me as I am a double cuff person 5 days a week....reading day of the month is probably the most important part of a watch to me after the time..hence why ALS was always so tempting and me moving away from date dials. I am a heathen, i like self winding. I just have a srange feeling that PP may also bring out a new movement soon - totally unsubstantiated but these have been going for about 31 years (I think) may need a refresh especially considering what the competition is putting out now a days. Would be good to hear if anyone tried to flip one....i think the style and size may put it at a disadvantage to many....blue is the new black! and Breguet is the new batons! I guess one would need to think whether a 5159 is really worth a 5146G and 5205R and the premium for a PC versus an AC all of which are pretty personal choices....
Old 25 July 2016, 02:25 AM   #25
KarlS
Banned

AD closed for refurbishment so will wait to will just have to see when I collect my Britexit batch of incomings in London next month
Old 26 July 2016, 04:59 AM   #26
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice! I think though, for the price, I'd rather have some of Patek's other offerings.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 12:01 PM   #27
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote