The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2014, 12:38 PM   #1
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Visit to Geneva Patek Salon - A Horological Journey

As someone who has grown immensely ( or some might said crazily ) fond of mechanical watches over the last two years, Geneva becomes my obvious must-go destination of choice for my once-a-year-only long vacation. This is one of the report of my journey to this city that is the heart of Swiss horology.

Note :

I have thought long and hard about the appropriate format for this thread and as this is a rather massive write-up with lots of pictures of various PP watches to present, it might be too tedious for the reader ( and me also ) to present this as a long one post report. So I am adopting a post as you go format with updates every few days. Feel free to let me know how it goes. I will slowly lead you the reader from the more basic models all the way to the Grand Complications, with some interesting tidbits along the way.

Patek Salons are boutiques operated and owned directly by Patek Philippe. The purpose of these Salons is to educate existing and future potential clients about Patek history and watch-making philosophy as well as a place whereby clients can preview the pieces. The Salons often have the largest inventory to offer and also managed by truly professional sales and managerial staff that really know the watches.

There are only 3 such salons in the world currently, namely in Geneva, Paris and London. The Geneva salon is the flagship of the three. Only in the Patek Geneva salon does one have the chance to preview the exclusive applicant pieces ( ie, the grand complications and highly desirable selected models ).

My planning for my pilgrimage to the Patek Salon Geneva started months in advance. In order to ensure I have a good reception and a successful visit, I do not want to just “walk-in” to visit the Salon. Thanks to the good connections of my AD and special thanks to the Sales Manager in Patek Singapore, I managed to setup a special appointment to meet up with the co-Director of Patek Salon Geneva. I met up with the Salon’s co-Director Madam Marielle who throughout the visit was most gracious and welcoming. In addition, she has such detailed knowledge about Patek watches and history and also technical knowledge of the movement and timepiece that leave me very impressed.

On arrival, I was greeted and asked to wait at the private viewing area of the salon. And here’s the obligatory wrist shot. Of course, I wore my Patek for this special occasion.

The decoration of the Salon itself, like the Patek brand is the epitome of grace and luxury., resembling a private residence of a well learned noblemen from time gone by. I have to say it’s the most impressive watch boutique I have ever visited. At the host request, I wouldn’t be showing any photos of the place, but I am quite sure you get the general idea.

So after a brief introduction of the brand and the Patek Salon building ( which by the way, was owned by Patek and was formerly the workshop that produced Patek watches back when Antoni Patek first started ), I put up my wish-list to preview the pieces.

Patek 5131J World Timer Yellow Gold with Enamel Dial

We started with the Patek 5131J. This is a special version of the 40mm Yellow Gold watch with a world timer complication that allows one to read the time for most major cities in the world.

A grail piece for many, what makes this watch special is the Enamel dial which is painstaking painted by hand by an in-house artist using a loupe. Only very few people ( one or two artisans ) within Patek have the skills and capability to do this. As a result, it has become so very much in demand and can easily fetch two to even three times the MSRP on second hand market. The amazing thing is that the enamel dial on each watch is different thus affording the potential the own a sort of personalization of the piece. Accordingly, this watch has a waiting list that sketches to 3 to 4 years minimum.

The watch features Patek’s 240HU mechanical self-winding movement with a 22K gold mini-rotor. I love mini-rotors as there is just more to see and enjoy in the movement. The 240 movement is of course along with the 324 one of Patek's "workhorse" movement and is adopted in many of their models.

Looking at the photos, it is not hard to imagine why. Like Madam Marielle said, a lot of people want to own a fully hand crafted timepiece like the 5131J.

< TO BE CONTINUED>
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 01:05 PM   #2
kxux
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Very nice. That place is special. I fondly remember my visit there last year. I'm looking forward to your further posts.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 01:26 PM   #3
orangedial
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP, Rolex
Wow… solid write-up and tantalizing photos! Can't wait to read the subsequent posts
orangedial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Great write up and pics!

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 01:35 PM   #5
el1125
Banned

Excellent. Looking forward to more.....
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 02:06 PM   #6
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Great write up! I love your first watch choice. What a beautiful piece! Too bad we can not see pics of the salon, it would have been interesting!
Old 9 August 2014, 02:15 PM   #7
hdrazor251
"TRF" Member

Watch: is recovered!!
Excellent!!
Old 9 August 2014, 02:17 PM   #8
KINGROLESAR
"TRF" Member

Watch: CROWN MARKED
What a very nice idea! Great first post!
Old 9 August 2014, 02:24 PM   #9
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Subscribed!
Fantastic start! looking forward to the rest. Thanks for posting and I hope you enjoy your trip.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 04:01 PM   #10
kwy91
"TRF" Member

Wow amazing!
kwy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 04:46 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Great first post Ben! Looking forward to more.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Great report ,enjoy it very much,thanks

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 05:19 PM   #13
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Reading avidly Ben, and I see a 5204P black face in the background!!!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 06:03 PM   #14
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
It is about 100 m from my office and i have never been there. I ought to I guess.
Old 9 August 2014, 07:01 PM   #15
lipjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC, Nautilus
Keep the updates coming Ben! Very nice visit I'm sure!

"It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices" -Dumbledore

Instagram: horolj_
lipjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 08:41 PM   #16
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Amazing Ben and keep the pictures coming! Thanks for sharing...Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 09:18 PM   #17
cwilson13
"TRF" Member

Great reference to open with!

Looking forward seeing what's to come.

Thanks
cwilson13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 10:03 PM   #18
Nat123
"TRF" Member

Wonderful Report

I look forward to the rest.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Nat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2014, 10:11 PM   #19
texex91
"TRF" Member

Fantastic--look forward to part II.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 01:01 AM   #20
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Good Job Ben! Can't wait to see more!
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 01:08 AM   #21
belk7
"TRF" Member

Great post, Ben. Looking forward to the next installment. I think I see the new 5960 in the background? I have become intrigued by that one. Hoping you put hands on and have some thoughts.
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 02:11 AM   #22
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
This is an Epic thread. Can't wait to see more
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 03:37 AM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Great work Ben, keep it coming!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 05:46 AM   #24
Louribal
"TRF" Member

Really nice, keep up the good work :))
Louribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 02:00 PM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Thanks guys so much for the positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed the opening post. So let's continue!

Novelty 2014 – Patek 5960-1/A in Stainless Steel and Bracelet

Obviously during the visit, I won't pass on the opportunity to preview some of the 2014 Novelties. The 5960 annual calendar chronograph has always been a popular complication in Patek range and usually in precious metal. Patek decided to do something bold and unexpected during Basel World 2014 and launched the Patek 5960-1/A, a stainless steel bracelet watch.

The watch spot a rather unconventional dial design, not what PP regulars used to expect from Patek. While the basic dial elements with the three windows on the top to show the day, date and month and a chronograph dial at 6 o’clock remains unchanged, the choice of colors is bold. The hour and minute hands are oxidized black gold and the chronograph sweeping hands employs a very stand-out red color, and both stands out against the white dial background. Putting it on the wrist, the bracelet is very comfortable, wraps around my wrist perfectly and comes with a butterfly clasp. Legibility is superb with the clearly contrasting elements on the dial. The watch sits very comfortably on the wrist. This watch's case and bracelet, while in stainless steel is superbly and beautifully finished just like any Patek. Even the connecting links in the bracelet are all meticulously polished and finished. With this new design, the 59601/A takes on a very sporty look.

My personal opinion, I am not really a fan of this new design. I understand Patek want to try something different and designed a whole new sporty look for this new watch, the overall look is just too aggressive for my taste. Forum feedback on this watch including here has been decidedly mixed. Regardless, the novelty factor is strong with this watch and there is already a wait list for this piece. Even the Geneva Salon do not have any stocks and estimated delivery is not expected until later this year.

One point of note. The Salon's interior lighting is great for taking good watch pictures. None of the glaring spotlights and with just the right amount of light and ambience to show off the beautiful time pieces. All pics were taken with my smartphone only by the way.

Thanks for reading! Next up, another brand new Novelty for 2014. Should be no brainer to guess which one.

To be Continued!and see you soon! :
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 03:07 PM   #26
martinr
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the review and I'm guessing 5990 next.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 04:19 PM   #27
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Great update Ben, but I agree with you on the watch; just can't get Breitling out of my head when I see that bracelet.

5204P black face next please!
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 04:56 PM   #28
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Visit to Geneva Patek Salon - A Horological Journey

Great post Ben you saved me a trip :-)

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 09:40 PM   #29
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Great post Ben and keep em' coming! As for the 5960 1A I love it so guess I am in the minority here but that is ok! Also in speaking with Patek I understand it will be a sought after watch and not easy to come by with wait lists as you said. Thanks for sharing with us...Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2014, 10:03 PM   #30
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Great update Ben, but I agree with you on the watch; just can't get Breitling out of my head when I see that bracelet.

5204P black face next please!
Could not agree more. I like the dial and sportier look, but not a fan of the bracelet at all.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote