The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 10 September 2014, 02:02 AM   #91
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatch View Post
Question about the "loss" chart. Watches cost $69k after discount. Sold for $47k (87 retail - 39loss) so net loss is "only" $22k. Right?

I understand what you are doing with your collection. It's not easy to do.
Sorry I never answer, I missed your post. The chart was made by iim7v7im7 (Bob) a member of this and other forums. He did that on an attempt to make me come to my senses and stop buying watches every month Needles to say he failed, unfortunately because by the time the table was created I wasn't into more expensive pieces. If he would of made one for the cost and sale of the Langes, Pateks, AP, VC, etc it would of look much uglier

But to answer your question: the way I understand it is that the watches cost 69k after discount and sold them for 39 with a loss of 30k

Cheers !

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2014, 02:26 AM   #92
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkim011 View Post
I love both your 5205R and the 5712R!

I am also leaning towards the 5712R hopefully in the next year...
Thanks Frank,
If you buy what you truly love you will be much happier and your wallet won't suffer that much I learned the hard way ! although I really don't know if you can skip that phase altogether maybe you can probe me wrong

Albert Einstein
Old 11 September 2014, 08:16 PM   #93
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatch View Post
Question about the "loss" chart. Watches cost $69k after discount. Sold for $47k (87 retail - 39loss) so net loss is "only" $22k. Right?

I understand what you are doing with your collection. It's not easy to do.
He bought for 69K approx with 20% discount off the retail at average, and got a loss of 39K..what that means is that what he paid 69k for had a residual worth of 30K, so actually its at average a gain of -43%, or a 57% loss..put it another way, not so technically, he paid 69K and sold for 39K 'less', since that is the loss, so the loss %age is nearly 39/69*100, which is again almost 57%..this should be the average of weighted loss of the individual %age losses.

I am sorry this is what happens when you try too much maths on very very simple things :P just did this accounting for fun :D

awesome collection, in the start, in the middle, now, which ever way I look at it, you are a winner for sure and so true about fewer watches = more fun with them..I have a rotation of two or three at a time as I move away from home for a few months, and I totally can relate to what you are saying :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 09:46 PM   #94
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post

awesome collection, in the start, in the middle, now, which ever way I look at it, you are a winner for sure and so true about fewer watches = more fun with them..I have a rotation of two or three at a time as I move away from home for a few months, and I totally can relate to what you are saying :)
Thanks for your comments, there is still positions available in the "3 watches philosophy Inc." , but you will still need to sign a contract LoL

Albert Einstein
Old 11 September 2014, 10:27 PM   #95
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Thanks for your comments, there is still positions available in the "3 watches philosophy Inc." , but you will still need to sign a contract LoL

LOL..I would love to work for an organization with which my personal philosophies align, but sadly if one of the statutes in the contract require me to adhere to the three watches principle, well I still have issues with narrowing down to those, so we might have trouble there :D
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2014, 10:36 PM   #96
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadtiger View Post
LOL..I would love to work for an organization with which my personal philosophies align, but sadly if one of the statutes in the contract require me to adhere to the three watches principle, well I still have issues with narrowing down to those, so we might have trouble there :D

I know is hard, believe me I know. But there is a clause that allows you have a 4th watch; now if you have 5 or more then you can't apply sorry, LoL

Cheers and good luck finding your ideal number

Sent from the 3 Watches Philosophy Company headquarters

Albert Einstein
Old 12 September 2014, 09:11 AM   #97
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Very admirable! As I have not reached this level of conformity yet I'll live vicariously through you.

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2014, 07:23 PM   #98
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremStar View Post
Very admirable! As I have not reached this level of conformity yet I'll live vicariously through you.
Lol, well more than level of conformity I would call it level of sanity
Thanks

Albert Einstein
Old 16 September 2014, 12:25 AM   #99
paltak
"TRF" Member

OP, while I only have 4 SS Rolex, like you I never considered myself a collector and 3 seems to be my sweet spot as well - a beater, sporty, and dressy. My SD and Daytona have the first 2 covered so I plan to give up the other 2 for the dressy piece.

Of all the Nautilus I've tried, the 5712R fits my small wrist like a glove and the dial is awesome in the flesh. However, while I can stretch my watch funds for a minty 5712R without impacting other financial priorities, for a commoner, I am somewhat apprehensive about wearing such an expensive functional art (considering I wore the same Tag Heuer for 20 years before getting the bug 4 years ago). It would be a dream though if/when someday I can work up the courage to pull the trigger.

This thread has been an awesome read and I agree with your philosophy completely. Cheers!
paltak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2014, 12:33 AM   #100
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
I think I just fell in love with that IWC
Old 16 September 2014, 12:34 AM   #101
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltak View Post
OP, while I only have 4 SS Rolex, like you I never considered myself a collector and 3 seems to be my sweet spot as well - a beater, sporty, and dressy. My SD and Daytona have the first 2 covered so I plan to give up the other 2 for the dressy piece.

Of all the Nautilus I've tried, the 5712R fits my small wrist like a glove and the dial is awesome in the flesh. However, while I can stretch my watch funds for a minty 5712R without impacting other financial priorities, for a commoner, I am somewhat apprehensive about wearing such an expensive functional art (considering I wore the same Tag Heuer for 20 years before getting the bug 4 years ago). It would be a dream though if/when someday I can work up the courage to pull the trigger.

This thread has been an awesome read and I agree with your philosophy completely. Cheers!

Thanks , yes if you truly enjoy wearing your watches and err less in the hoarding side, then this philosophy is for you. For some take less cash to realize it for others (me) learn the hard way. Although I have to admit that owing all those watches, it gives you a better understanding and makes your opinion or mindset have a weight/validity that it's hard to get without it.

Cheers !

Albert Einstein
Old 16 September 2014, 12:52 AM   #102
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
I think I just fell in love with that IWC
It's a beauty, just the resale

IWC copy 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

IWC copy.jpg

Albert Einstein
Old 20 September 2014, 04:38 AM   #103
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
After giving it a good thought I am going for just a 2 piece collection, my 5712 and the Hulk for sports, wanted to add a RO Jumbo, which is beautiful but my PP is enough and since I don't wear dress watches I think 2 will be enough for me, will see as time goes by but won't get the Jumbo...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2014, 04:53 AM   #104
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
After giving it a good thought I am going for just a 2 piece collection, my 5712 and the Hulk for sports, wanted to add a RO Jumbo, which is beautiful but my PP is enough and since I don't wear dress watches I think 2 will be enough for me, will see as time goes by but won't get the Jumbo...

I fully agree with skipping the Jumbo, that spot was filled already with the 5712. But I do think you need a 3rd one, it gives you that variability on the daily wear, and injects a freshness to the collection. But you have time to figure out what this 3rd watch might be, it doesn't have to be a dress watch. Don't rush it, you will find it and when you do everything will make sense.

Cheers !

Albert Einstein
Old 26 October 2014, 01:40 AM   #105
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
I fully agree with skipping the Jumbo, that spot was filled already with the 5712. But I do think you need a 3rd one, it gives you that variability on the daily wear, and injects a freshness to the collection. But you have time to figure out what this 3rd watch might be, it doesn't have to be a dress watch. Don't rush it, you will find it and when you do everything will make sense.

Cheers !

Well as I PM'ed you I am keeping the Daytona 116515, like this I have 1 RG piece, and it is a real beauty with the ceramic bezel, plus the BLNR and Hulk, seems to me that's a good foursome to be living in Thailand with, and the Daytona will be on a rubber strap, just trying to find the right one.
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2014, 11:54 PM   #106
anselm
"TRF" Member

Jorge, thanks for this post, I am early in my collecting and have 8 Omegas but I am already seeing the issue of having too many to wear. I am looking at getting an aquanaut for a change, but maybe I should reduce the collection first as that would make it 9. Your post might save me from getting into double digits!
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 02:38 AM   #107
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post
Jorge, thanks for this post, I am early in my collecting and have 8 Omegas but I am already seeing the issue of having too many to wear. I am looking at getting an aquanaut for a change, but maybe I should reduce the collection first as that would make it 9. Your post might save me from getting into double digits!
I think selling off a few Omegas for PPs is a good move.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 02:46 AM   #108
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
Well as I PM'ed you I am keeping the Daytona 116515, like this I have 1 RG piece, and it is a real beauty with the ceramic bezel, plus the BLNR and Hulk, seems to me that's a good foursome to be living in Thailand with, and the Daytona will be on a rubber strap, just trying to find the right one.

Sounds like a plan to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselm View Post

You are welcome
Wow 8 omegas, yeah I would agree that you need some diversity in your collection. And can't think of a better option than doing the swap for a Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think selling off a few Omegas for PPs is a good move.

Totally

Sent from the 3-4 Watches Philosophy Company headquarters

Albert Einstein
Old 31 October 2014, 05:10 AM   #109
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
I am scaling back soon i will have five: Aquanaut 5167/a, Nautilus 5712/1a, AP ROO Panda 42mm, PAM 572 (micro rotor radiomir) and a Rolex DSSD Dblue. Have all but the Nautilus right now. Just waiting for the right 5712/1a
Old 31 October 2014, 05:25 AM   #110
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeceee View Post
I am scaling back soon i will have five: Aquanaut 5167/a, Nautilus 5712/1a, AP ROO Panda 42mm, PAM 572 (micro rotor radiomir) and a Rolex DSSD Dblue. Have all but the Nautilus right now. Just waiting for the right 5712/1a

Awesome ! I really believe that you will be able to enjoy more your favorite pieces.

Albert Einstein
Old 31 October 2014, 05:47 AM   #111
gregvisser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeceee View Post

That 572 of yours is smoking. Post a pic please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregvisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 06:09 AM   #112
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
Jorge my friend, why, why, why did you have to start this thread !!!
I can't believe you had so many stunning watches! Must have been very hard to say goodbye to them. I do understand the 'less and better' move you did!
You certainly will always be wearing wonderful, beautiful and very good timepieces my friend! So well done. Enjoy and wear them in good health and thanks for sharing it all here with us, it's very much appreciated
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 07:39 AM   #113
MP5
2024 Pledge Member

Anyone else think a ss white dial 5712 would be amazing?
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 08:15 AM   #114
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveclocks View Post
Jorge my friend, why, why, why did you have to start this thread !!!

I can't believe you had so many stunning watches! Must have been very hard to say goodbye to them. I do understand the 'less and better' move you did!

You certainly will always be wearing wonderful, beautiful and very good timepieces my friend! So well done. Enjoy and wear them in good health and thanks for sharing it all here with us, it's very much appreciated

The pleasure is mutual my friend;
It's a new phase for me, we have to keep interesting, right?
I hope I never get in the Grand complications Phase though

Albert Einstein
Old 31 October 2014, 09:34 AM   #115
mikeceee
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Patek,Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregvisser View Post
That 572 of yours is smoking. Post a pic please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks buddy, i liked it alot and it has grown on me even more.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.8 KB, 807 views)
Old 31 October 2014, 09:36 AM   #116
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Anyone else think a ss white dial 5712 would be amazing?
Yes, but I am one of the seemingly few who likes white on 5726/5711

bring on the 5712
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 10:18 AM   #117
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yes, but I am one of the seemingly few who likes white on 5726/5711

bring on the 5712

I actually prefer the 5726 in white

Albert Einstein
Old 31 October 2014, 11:12 AM   #118
tfduff723
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega 4 Me
In my experience (over time) it really comes down to what watch/watches you TRULY like. I get the iconic thing, the resale thing, the value thing, the newest greatest thing etc...

But in the end I have found that I am personally drawn to a limited list of watches I TRULY like. Top of the list is my 16750 Polar Exp II , my 16710 GMT Master II and my classic Sub 16610. Throw my Speedy Pro in the mix and it's about perfect. I also love a couple of Rolex "Ceramics" (my 116710 & 114060). Then the list gets a bit thin. Each of us has a different list!

To me personally it's about the journey. I have been very fortunate to own IWC, more than a few Rolex, Omega, Tag Heuer, JLC, Girard Perregaux and many other brands to name a few. God knows how many actual watches. But always enjoying the pursuit & the new watch experience.

Now having said that... I am TRULY frightened to dip my toe in the awesome Patek Philipe water. I have no doubt there will be no turning back and my checkbook and wife may not be able to handle it.

I am pretty sure that day will come regardless of whether or not I have anything to do with it. Patek will win... and more than a few of my current collection will lose.

Of course there will always be a few Rolex in the mix - that way the planets will still align and the the sun will still rise

Give me strength
tfduff723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2014, 10:19 PM   #119
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

I would add that taste changes over time, so what you truly like today it might be different later. So it's a sane idea to consider value retention potential. Don't make it your decisive factor for purchase because the goal of the hobby is fun and not money but please make sure you add that factor in the equation.

Albert Einstein
Old 1 November 2014, 01:52 AM   #120
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
I would add that taste changes over time, so what you truly like today it might be different later. So it's a sane idea to consider value retention potential. Don't make it your decisive factor for purchase because the goal of the hobby is fun and not money but please make sure you add that factor in the equation.
That's very true. I find myself exactly at this stage where my taste start to change from chunky, stylish sporty looking watches to smaller, more classical, elegant designs. Comfort also become more of a priority than it ever use to be. Resale is an important consideration though most important for me is I truely like the watch.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote