The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 July 2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5146G
Loyal or stupid?

I've got a Nautilus 5712 and AC 5146G. I've wanted to add an Aquanaut 5167 for some time now. First in queue or so my AD tells me.

Earlier this week I found a double sealed 5167 (and a double sealed 5711) in the grey market, and turned them down 😫

My reasons for doing so:

1) I had told my AD I would get the 5167 from them. No deposit placed but had asked that I get the next one they have. So a gentlemen's agreement if you will.

2) My 5712 was ordered by someone else who changed their mind before taking delivery. I met him at a different AD and took delivery of the watch. But I could tell that the buying experience was sub par as I wasn't the AD's customer.

3) I want to establish a long term relationship with my AD as I think that'll have long term returns.

Anyone else let go of watches for the sake of loyalty and a better buying experience? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 11:49 AM   #2
PatekSF
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I like to do
Your word is your honor. Do the right thing.
Old 23 July 2016, 12:12 PM   #3
SSDAYTONAHULK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
To me it's nothing more then a $ figure. If I can get the watch I want at a discount, why spend the extra money getting pampered?
SSDAYTONAHULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:18 PM   #4
Dom
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, FPJ
There are not enough people with your honor code in this world. Stick to your principles!
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 12:21 PM   #5
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Being loyal may help for a future purchase. Hold the line!
Old 23 July 2016, 12:48 PM   #6
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
If you bought it from a grey dealer, it comes with no warranty. I have had great success buying from my AD. I have gotten instant access to hard to get models and have been invited to several Patek Philippe sponsored events.

You are doing the right thing by cultivating a relationship with an AD.
Old 23 July 2016, 12:51 PM   #7
tinygears
"TRF" Member

Show respect to your AD, and it will be returned.

It's not about a few dollars.

It's about relationships.
tinygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:08 PM   #8
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
I like to build relationships with various ADs, and make it a point to develop a long term business relationship with each of them. I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket however, especially if you were a collector. I try to cultivate relationships with dealers in Asia, US and Europe and I refer friends to each of these ADs or Jewlery stores and this way when something really cool comes along I am the first man they call.

It is all about relationships, but make sure the AD knows you have other choices as well and you are maintaining this relationship out of your own good will and that you are a man of your word.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 01:43 PM   #9
sinncollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 216570
i must have been quite lucky i met my current agent at a local chain here in singapore. first time i engaged him, he quoted me his best prices such that i felt he deprived me of any room to haggle hehe. see, his prices were on par with some grey dealers i surveyed and competetive with jomashop (is that a good gauge??) prices especially considering we are supposed to have 7% GST

i've bought just few new pieces from him (i buy more vintage or used, from online sources) although i've referred quite a few buyers, but to this day he still gives me great prices that i don't even bothering asking for further discounts anymore
sinncollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 10:08 PM   #10
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I understand your view point. One thing to remember is the AD's are not your friend and while most cherish the customers they have in the end they are running a business and will make decisions that are in the businesses best interest, not yours. This is about how you see yourself in living up to your end. All good but as a collector I would have an honest conversation with the AD and purchase the watch I want for the best price.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 10:08 PM   #11
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
If you bought it from a grey dealer, it comes with no warranty.
Nonsense!
Full manufacturer’s warranty, as the supplying AD will fill in their details and date of purchase, before sending it to the grey dealer.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 10:13 PM   #12
KarlS
Banned

I am under no misgiving that my AD is not my "friend" we don't link on Facebook. However, I always give him first option on a piece I want and we need to trust each other. Over time I no longer have to ask for scarce pieces, he phones me...I wasn't even in the market in April when he had a 5167 come in and he called (I took it)...nor this month when he called on the 5711 (which I also took)....that also helps with the more difficult pieces like 5524,5930 and the allocated pieces like 5131 (which is long haul)! Of course sometimes I buy from a backup AD but tell both of them and there is never hard feeling.
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 11:49 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If the Aquanaut from the AD has a due date of a few months then I would wait and develop relations with them. But if it was over say 3 months then I think you are entitled to buy now with no hard feelings on their side if they are reputable.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2016, 11:54 PM   #14
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If your AD is really taking care of you, then I'd wait. If they're not, then go elsewhere!
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 01:11 AM   #15
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

There is something to be said about building a relationship with an AD. I wouldn't flush too much cash, but there are longer term benefits for sure
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 01:43 AM   #16
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback and your views.

I'm sticking with the AD, and while I know they're by my "friend", I do see benefit in cultivating that relationship. For example, extra straps, changes in fitting, better discounts, and being put in front of line for hard to find pieces. It's a 5167 today but it might well be a 5270 down the road. When the time comes I will need a good discount 😀

Old 24 July 2016, 02:38 AM   #17
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Buying from an AD does have its perks... For one, the Patek will be registered in your name with Patek. Depending on your AD, they'll go above and beyond when you need something..

For example, my AD ordered me a 1.5 link for my 5712 at no cost. I put a light scratch on my 5712 and my AD offered to refinish the case for me (they are a Patek service Center), again, at no cost (I declined - life mark lol)..

My AD also just sent my GMT to Rolex to fix a bezel issue/change gaskets etc and didn't charge me a single dollar.. I've also witnessed my AD completely service a dropped Milguass that belongs to a friend of mine for no cost (they paid for the Rolex service - all in the name of good service).

I realize not all AD's are like mine, but mine goes way above and beyond continuously for me. Did I spend a little extra to buy it from them? Not really actually...

There's something to be said about building a strong relationship with an AD.. I also get regular care packages from them in the mail and invites to industry events..
Old 24 July 2016, 03:31 AM   #18
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I think establishing a relationship with an AD is important, but more important is having a relationship with an AD that will become long term. Early on, you never know how the AD-client relationship will be, as with any business or personal relationship. Some ADs just have too many big clients and you will always be small fish because you won't be spending 6 or 7 figures with the AD. Other ADs deal with so many resellers/flippers that when they meet someone with a genuine watch interest, they will treat you with respect and want to cultivate that relationship. They don't want Patek breathing down their neck because over 90% of the watches they sell end up in the gray market or on auctions.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 10:26 AM   #19
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Totally agree with Jamie and Jon. My regular AD takes all the time in the world to explain options to me, and is very upfront about where they can offer discounts and where they can't. They even offered me the Daytona C ahead of everyone else.

I definitely see them as the right AD for establishing a long term relationship, and not one where they just happen to be an AD that's convenient for me.

Old 24 July 2016, 12:02 PM   #20
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
Buying from an AD does have its perks... For one, the Patek will be registered in your name with Patek. Depending on your AD, they'll go above and beyond when you need something..

For example, my AD ordered me a 1.5 link for my 5712 at no cost. I put a light scratch on my 5712 and my AD offered to refinish the case for me (they are a Patek service Center), again, at no cost (I declined - life mark lol)..

My AD also just sent my GMT to Rolex to fix a bezel issue/change gaskets etc and didn't charge me a single dollar.. I've also witnessed my AD completely service a dropped Milguass that belongs to a friend of mine for no cost (they paid for the Rolex service - all in the name of good service).

I realize not all AD's are like mine, but mine goes way above and beyond continuously for me. Did I spend a little extra to buy it from them? Not really actually...

There's something to be said about building a strong relationship with an AD.. I also get regular care packages from them in the mail and invites to industry events..
You seem to have a great AD, but as for registering your name with Patek, an owner can do that himself online in a matter of minutes. I'd say that particular perk is on par with the diet Coke.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2016, 01:50 PM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
AD can be a fine way to go or you could build a relationship with a gray dealer (who puts your name on the warranty) and benefit from their buying power.

One other consideration is if you decide you want to trade out of a particular piece my experience has been the gray has been a bit more flexible.
Old 24 July 2016, 03:38 PM   #22
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Well I have just the same thing, a 5712 coming in for a great price, and in October a 5167r which is at a good price but a member told me here he could get me one cheaper, around 1000 dollars less, but after these 2 I am on the list for a very hard to get one in Europe, and in 2018 there is a possibility that I might get a super hard to get piece, also on the list though no guarantee, so I am sticking with this AD, if you want hard to get pieces in the future stick with him, plus as you said you told them you are getting it through them.
So I would say loyalty but not stupidity
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 04:47 AM   #23
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Good for you for keeping to your word.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 05:02 AM   #24
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I agree 100% you should keep your word. However, if you decide to go gray market I'm sure your AD will have the 5167 sold in no time.
Old 26 July 2016, 03:51 PM   #25
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I'd much rather be on a first name basis with Davidsw or Takuya, over a sales associate.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2016, 11:38 PM   #26
josephvman
Banned

I bought my 5167 new from an AD, though I've bought many Rolexes from trusted seller, used, as well as AD's. The 5167 was the most expensive piece I've ever bought, and my first Patek, and I wanted to have the full experience and peace of mind that one gets from an AD. I know my way around Rolex well enough to feel comfortable buying outside the dealer network, but I don't have that comfort level with PP, at least for now.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 01:17 AM   #27
Finkalot
"TRF" Member

Sorry about the late reply - was out of forum action for a couple of days. Yes definitely sticking with the AD and hoping they'll have a 5167 soon.

It's actually a very good point that building a relationship with a gray dealer can be good for trades... Hadn't thought about it!

That said, once I get the 5167, my collection of 3 Pateks will be complete. Don't plan to sell any in the near term. Not unless I want to get a 5270 down the road.