The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 July 2016, 05:15 AM   #31
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think you can beat the AP dial
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 11:18 AM   #32
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
I'd pick the Patek!

Yeah, particularly with the moonphase.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 01:20 PM   #33
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

These AP pics are very attractive IMO
Old 28 July 2016, 01:52 PM   #34
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
The watches you posted have different complications so for me dial choice is secondary at this point. They're both nice but on the Patek I don't care for the Tiffany branding on the dial.

Different strokes for different folks mate, I for one love the T dial. The stern family has such a long and respected relationship with Tiffany and Co, and Tiffany was for a long time an important retailer for luxury watches (even Rolexes have Tiffany co branded watches).

I also think that it is most tastefully done on the 5712, it's very discreet in real life, and I think it adds an extra dimension to the watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 04:24 PM   #35
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmidtdmd View Post
These AP pics are very attractive IMO

I must say, it's the blue dial, I have looked at the black dial and white dial, neither has the same flare.

Old 29 July 2016, 03:21 AM   #36
erics
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712r, XX, 1675
I have a 5712r and over time, you get to realise how warm and 'alive' the dial is depending on light / weather. More so than a 5712a. In this context, it also beats the AP.

You can argue that the AP has more work to it and admire it for that, but imo, it's much more one dimensional.

Of course i am biased over the 5712r but i only acquired it after comparing it extensively with watches from work colleagues owning PP and AP and in various configurations.
erics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 12:16 AM   #37
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics View Post
I have a 5712r and over time, you get to realise how warm and 'alive' the dial is depending on light / weather. More so than a 5712a. In this context, it also beats the AP.

You can argue that the AP has more work to it and admire it for that, but imo, it's much more one dimensional.

Of course i am biased over the 5712r but i only acquired it after comparing it extensively with watches from work colleagues owning PP and AP and in various configurations.

Whilst I am total agreement with your assessment of the 5712R, I must say the AP dial also has many layers to it.

The white gold markers glisten under the sun, the tapisterrie dial on the ROC has 3 contrasting finish, which comes alive under light. It projects a different character depending on the angle you view it.

To me it's a hard hard match. I can't really announce a winner. That's why I have both 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 July 2016, 01:31 AM   #38
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Different strokes for different folks mate, I for one love the T dial. The stern family has such a long and respected relationship with Tiffany and Co, and Tiffany was for a long time an important retailer for luxury watches (even Rolexes have Tiffany co branded watches).

I also think that it is most tastefully done on the 5712, it's very discreet in real life, and I think it adds an extra dimension to the watch.

When they co- brand, is it a different dial colour or same production watch with the retailer printed on the dial? Is there anything different other than that?
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2016, 01:47 AM   #39
Daycruiser
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
When they co- brand, is it a different dial colour or same production watch with the retailer printed on the dial? Is there anything different other than that?

Normally, a Tiffany dial Patek watch could only be obtained in 5 Tiffany boutique shops in America. Of course one could obtain one in the grey market if the opportunity so arises.

The packaging comes in additional blue Tiffany boxes and bag. And the Tiffany & Co dial is printed on a given Patek model by Patek themselves. Other than that there isn't that much of a difference.

But like all things, it is the meaning behind the partnership that matters. Patek and Tiffany have been working together since the very beginning of both companies. 2 centuries ago these two companies helped and influence each other and this relationship helped shape the company's culture and ethos that we so respect today.

Even Rolexes used to have Tiffany dials, but the partnership did not last long. PP and Tiffany however, well PP's first New York boutique is located on the mezzanine floor of Tiffany's 5th avenue flagship store.

Visually the impact is minimal, which is exactly why I love it. It's not discernible until you look closer, it's not significant unless you know it's history, it is frivolous if you do not appreciate the two brands mutual influence and how important that is in making Patek one of the most sought after watch in the watch world.

Oh and of course the added ego stroke of having something scarce and exclusive ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk