The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 July 2016, 04:53 AM   #1
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Not again

Hi all,

Anyone had a sticking date issue twice? Just noticed this today. Had the same thing happened last year and it was fixed by Patek. 3rd issue with 2 Pateks. I'm going to bring it to my AD this weekend. Starting to lose faith in this brand.

Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 05:08 AM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Sorry you're dealing with this! Will the date change if it is manually wound through the midnight hour? And, was it fully (or close to fully) wound? Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 28 July 2016, 05:16 AM   #3
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Sorry you're dealing with this! Will the date change if it is manually wound through the midnight hour? And, was it fully (or close to fully) wound? Good luck and keep us posted.
Yes, it is fully wound. I just cycled through the date by turning the hour hand through midnight and it seems to be ok. I'll see if it will stick again tomorrow. Actually the same thing occurred last year. Thanks for the reply.
Old 28 July 2016, 05:21 AM   #4
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Yes, it is fully wound. I just cycled through the date by turning the hour hand through midnight and it seems to be ok. I'll see if it will stick again tomorrow. Actually the same thing occurred last year. Thanks for the reply.
Agree, watch it for a few days. I also would double check the switch over from the 27th to the 28th again (it looks like that's where it got stuck?). To save yourself the frustration of waiting another month, you could set your watch again now for 10:00pm or 11:00pm on the 27th and let it cycle through to the 28th over the next few hours.

How long ago did you get the watch (it's a beauty, by the way!)?
Old 28 July 2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree, watch it for a few days. I also would double check the switch over from the 27th to the 28th again (it looks like that's where it got stuck?). To save yourself the frustration of waiting another month, you could set your watch again now for 10:00pm or 11:00pm on the 27th and let it cycle through to the 28th over the next few hours.

How long ago did you get the watch (it's a beauty, by the way!)?
Good idea, thanks. I got the watch 3 years ago.
Old 28 July 2016, 06:25 AM   #6
martinr
"TRF" Member

Don't feel bad, my 5905P which I've had for all of three months is in Geneva for a repair. The pusher at 2:00 started protruding too far and finally started to wobble around so I sent it to H. Stern and they don't work on it there because it's a new reference. So, it's in Geneva for a warranty repair. QC sucks, whether it's cosmetic or mechanical there's no excuse for this many watches with problems, this is my second mechanical problem on different watches, new sealed three months old on both.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Don't feel bad, my 5905P which I've had for all of three months is in Geneva for a repair. The pusher at 2:00 started protruding too far and finally started to wobble around so I sent it to H. Stern and they don't work on it there because it's a new reference. So, it's in Geneva for a warranty repair. QC sucks, whether it's cosmetic or mechanical there's no excuse for this many watches with problems, this is my second mechanical problem on different watches, new sealed three months old on both.
That sucks. How long is the estimated repair time for your 5905P? I guess that will give you more wrist time with your 5170R
Old 28 July 2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
really bad , i thought they finally found the remedy for that,
i guess not much you can do , bring it back and wait patiently.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 09:41 AM   #9
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Disheartening, for both you guys.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Yup, My 5396 date function doesn't always center when it clicks over to the next day at about 12:30 AM. Sometime it'll center itself later on during the day and sometime it doesn't. In fact it is off center today. The date will always move too far to the left when it does happen.

Sorry I don't know how to rotate the pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (69.6 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (80.5 KB, 666 views)
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 11:42 AM   #11
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Oh man, sorry to hear this. How long did it take to resolve the sticking date the first time around?
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
Oh man, sorry to hear this. How long did it take to resolve the sticking date the first time around?
It took about 6 weeks.
Old 28 July 2016, 12:14 PM   #13
martinr
"TRF" Member

Six weeks isn't bad. Patek in NY told me last week that they'll call me in about a month and let me know the status.
Old 28 July 2016, 12:20 PM   #14
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
It took about 6 weeks.
Quote:
Six weeks isn't bad. Patek in NY told me last week that they'll call me in about a month and let me know the status.
Hope both issues get resolved quickly. Very disappointing
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 01:14 PM   #15
clintfca
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
Yup, My 5396 date function doesn't always center when it clicks over to the next day at about 12:30 AM. Sometime it'll center itself later on during the day and sometime it doesn't. In fact it is off center today. The date will always move too far to the left when it does happen.

Annual calendar date wheels operate differently. On my 5146, the date wheel starts to turn over after 11:30pm. Sometimes it will overshoot but should realign by 1 or 2am.

If your date is still not aligned by the time you wake up and look at it then I would considering having it looked at.
clintfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 02:01 PM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Man that really sucks, hope everything will be ok, I would try going manually through a whole month and hope that it will "destick" it. If it doesn't them send it in, really hope it'll solve the problem, even if 6 weeks is quite amazing for PP standards... Good luck and keep us informed
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 02:45 PM   #17
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintfca View Post
Annual calendar date wheels operate differently. On my 5146, the date wheel starts to turn over after 11:30pm. Sometimes it will overshoot but should realign by 1 or 2am.

If your date is still not aligned by the time you wake up and look at it then I would considering having it looked at.
My 5396 is still under warranty till Mar. 2017, so I still have about 6 months to play with the watch. The watch is extremely accurate running at + 0.3 sec. per day.

Speaking of 5146...The MP on mine will skip a day (fail to advance) every two weeks, so by the next full moon the MP will fall behind by 2 days. ..
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2016, 03:18 PM   #18
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
I struggle to wrap my head around these sorts of things... We have $15 watches that can turn a date without issues for years. Here we have a near $30,000 watch that is a simple 3 hander with a date and this is an issue that has popped up many times with this movement.
Old 28 July 2016, 03:49 PM   #19
Borsika
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashd0t View Post
I struggle to wrap my head around these sorts of things... We have $15 watches that can turn a date without issues for years. Here we have a near $30,000 watch that is a simple 3 hander with a date and this is an issue that has popped up many times with this movement.
Yes, but here you get PP problems in a "concentrated" way. One might have the sensation that every second PP is faulty, while in the reality there is problem with 1 out of 1000 (or less) sold watches. I might have been lucky but myself and my circle of aquaintances have never experienced mechanical problems with PPs (and not because we dont have PPs :))
Borsika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 12:21 AM   #20
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
sorry to hear that, i would send it just for piece of mind

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 01:23 AM   #21
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I empathise with you and the problem.

Patek should have resolved the problem of the sticking date by now!
Old 29 July 2016, 04:41 AM   #22
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borsika View Post
Yes, but here you get PP problems in a "concentrated" way. One might have the sensation that every second PP is faulty, while in the reality there is problem with 1 out of 1000 (or less) sold watches. I might have been lucky but myself and my circle of aquaintances have never experienced mechanical problems with PPs (and not because we dont have PPs :))
I do not agree with your logic what so ever...

more like the entire world experiences these problems... We are a small number of watch collectors in the world yes, but the ratio is most likely the same world wide..

If 1 out of every 1000 pateks are truly defective, then you would hardly ever hear of any problems reported here.

It's not like people join up on this forum just to report a sticking day issue with their watch.

Patek's customer service is terrible and the QC of their watches is not the same.

Patek is not what it once was. The company reads these threads more than you know.

Coming from the president of Patek USA Larry P. himself, he told me they are aware of the QC issues and have new processes in play to try and fix it.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 04:46 AM   #23
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
I do not agree with your logic what so ever...

more like the entire world experiences these problems... We are a small number of watch collectors in the world yes, but the ratio is most likely the same world wide..

If 1 out of every 1000 pateks are truly defective, then you would hardly ever hear of any problems reported here.

It's not like people join up on this forum just to report a sticking day issue with their watch.

Patek's customer service is terrible and the QC of their watches is not the same.

Patek is not what it once was. The company reads these threads more than you know.
My personal experience has been quite to the contrary. While I had an issue with one of my Patek's, every instance of my interaction with Patek Service (HSWA), both on the phone and in person, has been professional, helpful, expedient, and knowledgeable.
Old 29 July 2016, 05:47 AM   #24
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Well, the date didn't stick today and seems to be okay. I'm still going to see what the AD recommends. Maybe better to send it to get it checked out. Thanks, guys.
Old 29 July 2016, 07:30 AM   #25
martinr
"TRF" Member

The problem in my opinion is that the watches are just too expensive and when something goes wrong and the repair takes three months or longer it's ridiculous. Then you get it back and don't have confidence in the watch not breaking again and really wonder about any future purchases. HSWA is always professional and knowledgeable like Stephen says but things like sticking dates, poorly applied lume, chronos not resetting, etc. should never leave Geneva that way. Still, when I get my 5905P back I'll be happy wearing it everyday.
Old 29 July 2016, 07:38 AM   #26
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My personal experience has been quite to the contrary. While I had an issue with one of my Patek's, every instance of my interaction with Patek Service (HSWA), both on the phone and in person, has been professional, helpful, expedient, and knowledgeable.

Same here. Nothing but helpful. Is this the bloke that went through six 5990's and couldn't find one that met his criteria ??!
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 07:40 AM   #27
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The problem in my opinion is that the watches are just too expensive and when something goes wrong and the repair takes three months or longer it's ridiculous. Then you get it back and don't have confidence in the watch not breaking again and really wonder about any future purchases. HSWA is always professional and knowledgeable like Stephen says but things like sticking dates, poorly applied lume, chronos not resetting, etc. should never leave Geneva that way. Still, when I get my 5905P back I'll be happy wearing it everyday.
PP is just so expensive that every single piece must be flawless ,
Those are not.
Sad.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 29 July 2016, 07:42 AM   #28
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post

with all my respect , have u ever reported this problem to PP ?A watch on this pricepoint shoud be perfect , sorrry i m speechless......

---------------------

IG @passionata1
Old 29 July 2016, 07:58 AM   #29
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Same here. Nothing but helpful. Is this the bloke that went through six 5990's and couldn't find one that met his criteria ??!
yup, it sure is... and for almost 60k, I shouldn't have to accept the crap they were sending me.

Never had a problem with AP.. Just dealt with clear water AP for a service on my ROO and everything went flawless. So clearly i'm not impossible to please.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=486096
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2016, 08:06 AM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Patek is patek taking on a whole new meaning these days unfortunalely. Thierry should take a back seat.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote