The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 31 July 2016, 01:09 AM   #1
RXAPPP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5
Coffee table Books on Patek

I am in the midst of building a nice little library of books covering those watches owned in past or present. One notable absentee is a PP Nautilus or PP Steel watches. In keeping with their watch namesakes they seem to cost a fortune and On the basis It will be an occasional read it's not worth the money.

I keep looking on eBay but have drawn blanks. Has anyone out there got a book they may be looking to sell or have tips were to look.
RXAPPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 01:43 AM   #2
willski
"TRF" Member

I have the PP Steel Watches book by John Goldberger. Fantastic book but yes, quite expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 04:35 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I agree that the Patek Steel watch book by Goldberger is quite good.

The other book to look at is Collecting Nautilus and Modern Patek Philippe wristwatches by Osvaldo Patrizzi. It is a bit pricy, but it contains a wealth of information from the author's experience working in the watch auction world.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 08:05 AM   #4
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I have the 3-volume Patrizzi set. Massively heavy and well printed.
Old 31 July 2016, 08:11 AM   #5
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willski View Post
I have the PP Steel Watches book by John Goldberger. Fantastic book but yes, quite expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have this as well, pricey but worth it imo
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 09:16 AM   #6
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
I have the 3-volume Patrizzi set. Massively heavy and well printed.
I've had my eye on this for a while, would you recommend it? Also how up to date is it? Thanks
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 10:57 AM   #7
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I would recommend it if you are interested in the whole breadth of what Patek Philippe is. It is very comprehensive in terms of vintage and I happen to collect old Calatravas so it has been very helpful. Quality of the paper and print is superb of course.

If you're mainly interested in a specific line (like Nautilus or sport) you could spend less money and have more focus.
Old 31 July 2016, 11:22 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I've had my eye on this for a while, would you recommend it? Also how up to date is it? Thanks
I agree that this is one of the more comprehensive book series on vintage Patek watches, especially the Calatravas. The latest edition was published in 2010, so it will not cover the modern watch collection like the 5170, 5270, etc. But I think you can easily obtain information about modern Patek watches online.

If you want to bid on vintage Patek timepieces at the major auctions, I think this book is one of the must have reference books, along with the Huber/Banbery book sold on the Patek website.

Osvaldo Patrizzi was the leading Patek auctioneer of his time, just like Aurel Bacs is the leading Patek auctioneer today. It may be of interest to some of our European forum members that the book is written in 3 languages: English, French and Italian.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 11:26 AM   #9
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Just saw how much this set sells for nowadays, yikes! I need to move this coffee table book...off the...coffee table...er...
Old 31 July 2016, 07:04 PM   #10
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I agree that this is one of the more comprehensive book series on vintage Patek watches, especially the Calatravas. The latest edition was published in 2010, so it will not cover the modern watch collection like the 5170, 5270, etc. But I think you can easily obtain information about modern Patek watches online.

If you want to bid on vintage Patek timepieces at the major auctions, I think this book is one of the must have reference books, along with the Huber/Banbery book sold on the Patek website.

Osvaldo Patrizzi was the leading Patek auctioneer of his time, just like Aurel Bacs is the leading Patek auctioneer today. It may be of interest to some of our European forum members that the book is written in 3 languages: English, French and Italian.
Thanks Jon, sounds like it's a bit overdue for an update.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote