The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 July 2016, 01:01 PM   #1
Tolypop
Banned

patek 5905p. Long term value

Thinking of buying a patek 5905p with blue face. If purchased for 62,000 dollars now what is your guys long term forcast on price? Will I lose a lot of money when traded later of will it appreciate?
Tolypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 10:25 PM   #2
tinygears
"TRF" Member

You might be advised, as one of the potential markers of future value, to research how many examples are currently available, new, pre-owned, AD, grey.

Once you have that information, the next question might be why are they not sold?

From a personal perspective, I see this as been a bit of an odd series for Patek, and a possible misstep in terms of production, pricing, etc.

A beautiful timepiece, but what really is its long term value, especially when compared to some of the other models?

Someone here may have the answer.
tinygears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Tolypop
Banned

Very few 42 mm pateks maybe that's a plus
Old 31 July 2016, 10:42 PM   #4
KarlS
Banned

I think that's a good price and lets be honest if you make money that's a bonus but I don't think one should buy watches as an investment unless you are buying something very special or scarce. Buy it, wear it, enjoy it ....
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2016, 10:51 PM   #5
Tolypop
Banned

Wasn't really looking at it as an investment just have when you trade in a watch you don't want anymore and get offered 50 percent of what you paid.
Old 1 August 2016, 01:20 AM   #6
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
No one knows what the markets will say. Given the recent announcement that they are cutting back production that could be in your favor.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:31 AM   #7
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
If list is $78,200 which I believe then you are right around 20% (plus no tax I am assuming) which seems pretty good IMO. Like Alex said the decrease in production for 2017 could be a plus also but I would not buy the piece unless you must have it and it has been one you have been wanting for quite some time. At this price point you obviously have a smaller buyer's market if you wanted to sell. I don't see many modern day PPs being investments so enjoy and wear the heck out of her. Look forward to the incoming!
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:43 AM   #8
Tony64
"TRF" Member

As others have said, it's impossible to predict future values, but IMO that's not a bad price and if you like it then I think it will work out ok when/if you ever decide to sell. Best to make your money when you buy, not when you sell.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:44 AM   #9
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolypop View Post
Wasn't really looking at it as an investment just have when you trade in a watch you don't want anymore and get offered 50 percent of what you paid.
Apologies. I read the question where you asked if it would appreciate in value and that's an "investment" as defined!
Old 1 August 2016, 01:50 AM   #10
Tolypop
Banned

Thank you. Very informative
Old 1 August 2016, 02:02 AM   #11
martinr
"TRF" Member

I own the black dial. I look at this way, it's a Patek, it's platinum, it's AC and chrono, 42mm, and can be worn daily. For 62K what else is there that gives you all that? The only problem might be the blue dial, kind of in fashion now but in the future who knows. What if you kept it a few years and lost 10% flipping it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (110.8 KB, 637 views)
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 02:26 AM   #12
Tolypop
Banned

Yours looks great and the 42mm size I love
Old 1 August 2016, 03:58 AM   #13
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I think that's a good price and lets be honest if you make money that's a bonus but I don't think one should buy watches as an investment unless you are buying something very special or scarce. Buy it, wear it, enjoy it ....

Agree with this.

There aren't many watches that appreciate out of the gate, and generally those that do are the limited editions or application pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 04:16 AM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch don't worry so much about the resale. The entry price (as far as Patek) is fairly reasonable.
Old 1 August 2016, 06:33 AM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
If you are paying for it 20% off retail as others have said I think it is a very good deal, about future value hard to predict as that will depend on offer and demand, wouldn't bet on it gaining value as it is not as far as I know one of the hard to get pieces, but you shouldn't loose much if any in case of resale.
About the post about blue dials being a fashion trend, I don't think one second it's the case, blue dials have been around for quite a while and they are more and more popular for a good reason, they look great, much nicer than any other dial color IMO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Socal to az
Banned

I have the blue dial and love it. I don't plan on selling the watch but I paid more for it. So as far as an investment, I'm down based on your price about 8k. Not that I care but are you buying from an AD or second hand or grey market? 62k is a great price. Here is my blue.

Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 09:19 AM   #17
Tolypop
Banned

Looks amazing it's pre owned but like new
Old 1 August 2016, 09:24 AM   #18
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Looks amazing it's pre owned but like new
There is your answer on investment. The watch lost 8k in value based on my purchase price and 16k off retail. Long term whether it goes up or down or stable is anyone's guess.
Old 1 August 2016, 10:28 AM   #19
watch-guy.com
Banned

not always true Willski

Look at ref 3960/ 5500

Can be bought at similar or less than retail

Do not be fooled by the marketing hype.

Watches are not good long term investment vehicles- only a very small number increase in value over time

Such as PN or some military pieces

I can show you catalogues from 1989 where pieces can be acquired at similar prices today - not even adjusted for inflation

If you like but buy it and wear it but do not think you can keep up with inflation or beat it by buying this watch ( even if you never wear it and put it away in its triple Patek plastic bag and cardboard box

Julian

Last edited by watch-guy.com; 1 August 2016 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: mistake
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 10:47 AM   #20
Tolypop
Banned

So I guess there is no real difference between Rolex or Patek. Just thought Patek hold better value
Old 1 August 2016, 11:22 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
So I guess there is no real difference between Rolex or Patek. Just thought Patek hold better value
Some PP hold excellent value, mainly SS Nautilus, some sell higher on grey market than at the AD, 5711, 5167, sometimes you have models which are very rare or LE's which sell for much more, like 175th anniversary LE, or the 5131.
Now on the other hand some sell for a ton less than retail, 5960P grey dial, 5960-1A are the ones that come to mind, but there are others, so their "a Patek will not only hold it's value but even increase it" (or something like that) is total BS.
So basically yes Patek on average does hold it's value better than the crown...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 12:52 PM   #22
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
There is a big difference. Rolex is more liquid because of the lower price point and stronger brand awareness.

That said, Patek is the next best thing for sure. If you can't afford to take a 20k hit, then buying a 60k watch is not wise. Look at what happened to the 5960, it's predecessor for reference. I do find this model to be quite attractive and in particular that black dial martin has
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 12:59 PM   #23
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
The recent events has made the issues of value retention very clear. No matter what you buy people will only pay what's fair at the time your selling it. It is impossible to predict the price. The 5960 and some of the the 175th anniversary models are great examples.
I think the true value of watches is coming out now in difficult times for the watch industry.

The real value retention will be in limited production high demand models like the 5711 and 5167 that more people will want,the higher end watches with less demand are likely to take a bugger hit.

Best bet is to buy something you will love and own for a long time. The whole investment thing has been blown out of the water in my opinion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Old 1 August 2016, 01:06 PM   #24
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

IMHO predicting future price of a watch is like predicting stock prices. There are some experts in the field with some insight, but for an average person, I think it is at best an educated guess.

When the 5960P was discontinued, the watch was listed at $95K USD. However IIRC the watch was introduced at a price in the mid $50Ks USD back in 2006. When they introduced the 5905P, they dropped the price to $78K USD. To the average person, the 5905P is not that different from the discontinued 5960P, with the same movement, an updated dial, no deployant clasp and a shorter chrono timer. I thought it was unusal for Patek to drop the price from $95K to $78K for a very similar watch, but then Patek had a 10% price decrease for all their watches in the US due to the currency exchange adjustment and then by removing the platinum deployant clasp, they were able to save a few thousand dollars.

Now I have no idea where the pricing of the 5905P will be in 3, 5 or 10 years. But as we say here on the forum, don't purchase watches as an investment, but for your personal enjoyment and you will not be disappointed even if it depreciates in value over time because you have had years of enjoyment wearing the watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2016, 01:32 PM   #25
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
It is impossible to predict the price. The 5960 and some of the the 175th anniversary models are great examples.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
What happens to the 175 anniversary model?
Old 1 August 2016, 01:36 PM   #26
KarlS
Banned

On the LE if you look at the 5575. Retail was around £36000 or approx $ 54000. Some were sold at auction at around $125000. Now that's the hammer price so let's presume 25% commission that means $100000. However the seller pays commission of 15-25% meaning he netted $80 000. That's still 42% more than he paid. However if you look on this forum and others there are a number priced at $100k and they still sitting!!!
Old 1 August 2016, 02:26 PM   #27
KarlS
Banned

The 5905P price is not going like the 5960 in my opinion. There was no euphoric, heady irrational price increases like we saw on the 5960...its basically a 5205 on steriods and a modern look for PP which I think they will push...wouldnt surprise me to see a PC in the 5205 style and its a size that suits some members or are put off by the more traditional sub 40 mm that PP has historically favoured. Martin will know more but I think the price point is pretty close to the 5170 and thus gives real value for money..personally i would be happy to have a black or blue dial....blue is the new black tho!
Old 1 August 2016, 04:50 PM   #28
Socal to az
Banned

I like my blue dial. �� A perpetual in that size would be killer! Only thing that would make it better are round pushers instead of square ones. I personally thought the 5960 is a gorgeous watch. But too small for me. I prefer 42mm.
Old 1 August 2016, 11:00 PM   #29
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
If you love it buy it and enjoy it. I would say 10-15 per cent downside if you need to get out quickly. Less if you are patient. The problem with the 5960 was over production and too expensive by the time it was discontinued.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 01:49 AM   #30
Tolypop
Banned

So can I have some advice besides the nautilus which I have no more than 60k what's Patek you guys recommend