The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 August 2016, 10:01 AM   #31
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolypop View Post
So can I have some advice besides the nautilus which I have no more than 60k what's Patek you guys recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is hard to recommend a watch unless we know what you like and dislike. Buying a watch is really a personal decision, just like buying a house, a car, a yacht, etc.

If you are looking to buy a watch mainly for financial reasons (to not lose money), then you may want to stay with the basic SS sports watches like the 5711/1A or the 5167A. There are similar basic SS sports watches from other watch brands like the Rolex Sub C, Rolex Daytona, AP 15202. But ultimately you need to buy a watch that you will enjoy wearing.

Some people may say if you get a 5070J/R/G, it should hold its value. You may be able to get one in the $60K-$70K USD price range. However you are then looking at a 8-10 year old watch that may need servicing and there is no guarantee the watch will hold its value either.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 11:51 AM   #32
Socal to az
Banned

Do you want steel band or leather strap?

You like complications or something simple?

You want a larger piece (limited selection for Patek) or something smaller- less than 39mm?

Personally the 5170 is a great piece. Too small for me but looks great.
5905 is just a dream for me.
5960 although it's gotten a bad wrap is kick ads and a great deal. Depreciation has already occurre on those. Smaller than 5905 but similar.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 12:54 PM   #33
Tolypop
Banned

5905 was actually my first choice so far but a lot of people putting it down
Tolypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 01:05 PM   #34
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Don't worry too much about what others say here. If it is a watch that you like, go for it! What is really important is how you feel wearing the watch on your wrist, not what strangers on a watch forum think about it.

If you worry too much about watch value and depreciation, you will never purchase the watch you will want. Think of it as you would with a car. If you enjoy driving a new car for several years, you don't mind the fact that it has depreciated in value because you purchased it knowing that would happen.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 01:12 PM   #35
willski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Don't worry too much about what others say here. If it is a watch that you like, go for it! What is really important is how you feel wearing the watch on your wrist, not what strangers on a watch forum think about it.

If you worry too much about watch value and depreciation, you will never purchase the watch you will want. Think of it as you would with a car. If you enjoy driving a new car for several years, you don't mind the fact that it has depreciated in value because you purchased it knowing that would happen.
Jon_Jon is giving the best advice I've seen recently on these forums. Agree 100% with his words.
willski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 02:27 PM   #36
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by willski View Post
Jon_Jon is giving the best advice I've seen recently on these forums. Agree 100% with his words.
X2
Buy what YOU like my friend but don't make any hasty decisions just because it is a good deal. Is this a piece you have been eyeing since its release? Like Martin said in an earlier post you get a Chrono-AC-42mm PLATINUM Case which is a lot of bang for your buck. Personally the 5905 isn't my style BUT I have a 5235G that I happen to love that many forum members don't care for and find odd. That is the great think about Patek they have a little something for All of Us.
goog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 03:00 PM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

Very good advice.

I was just trying to give a sobering potential downside if that is truly of great concern to OP. Either way patek is safer than any other brand at that price point.

I would stick to what caught your eye, the 5905. Personally I love the simplicity of the 5170G black dial and that would be my choice should I have the money...
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 03:19 PM   #38
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Listen to people that actually own the watch. I do. I love it. Buy what you love. Not what's going to give you the best investment.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 04:18 PM   #39
997.2TTS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datograph up/dn RG
I also have the 5905 in blue. Surprisingly versatile watch, dress up, down. Picked mine up brand new from an AD in Asia (was told it was one of the first) at about the same price you're being offered, + 5% VAT refund. My only complaint is that for such a heavy piece, the platinum deployment buckle should be standard.
997.2TTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 10:11 PM   #40
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree with what Martinr, Jon_jon, and goog53 have already said...buy what you like, and remember that the 5905 has a lot going for it. I'll relay my own personal experience...I picked up a 5960p with grey dial a couple months back, and I couldn't be happier. It seems as though that reference comes up in every other thread on this forum as a dog, particularly the grey dial, but I don't really care. Again, to partially steal from Martinr, I picked up a platinum patek with annual calendar and with a chrono for what I believe to be a very fair price, and I love wearing it (it's gotten the most wrist time by far since I drove home with it). In my opinion, you lose money flipping watches, not buying one you really like and holding onto it it for at least a decent amount of time. If the 5905 is what you like, and there are a lot of reasons to like it, don't be dissuaded by what you've read in this thread
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 11:04 PM   #41
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Very good advice.

I was just trying to give a sobering potential downside if that is truly of great concern to OP. Either way patek is safer than any other brand at that price point.

I would stick to what caught your eye, the 5905. Personally I love the simplicity of the 5170G black dial and that would be my choice should I have the money...
+1
agree with you.
Buy what you love , but yeah at this price point Patek Chrono would be my personal choice. Love the cleanness of the 5170G black dial, but for a Chrono i gotta have the pulsometer scale, it looks beautiful without the scale but for sure not the best representation of a Patek Chrono, of course IMHO. My 1st choice would be 5070 , A classic.

I see watches like the 5960, 5905, 5070, 5170 like Jumpers. Meaning if you are like me that look a perpetual calendar chrono like the ultimate goal. These watches are one step away from that one. And probably the 5070 has the better chances to hold value better, hard to predict.

in any event good luck and enjoy whatever you decide

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2016, 11:38 PM   #42
Tolypop
Banned

Have a bad feeling with the 5070 it was my first Patek in the late 90s and wore it for 3 years I believe. I got sick of it paid 19k at that point for it and traded for fifteen. You can imagine my feeling when several years later I see it selling for 50k but who would have known. They were all over the place at that point any nobody wanted them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tolypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 12:00 AM   #43
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Easily one of my favorite pateks period. If I didn't have the 5990, Id have been searching for one of those...has 90 percent of the Perpetual look to it...(don't hurt me guys)...and that blue is STUNNING.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2016, 12:19 AM   #44
TimeOnHand
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Air-King
I had the chance to try on the Black dial 5905P... It's big... it's heavy and I love it!

Old 3 August 2016, 12:33 AM   #45
cervantes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I agree with what Martinr, Jon_jon, and goog53 have already said...buy what you like, and remember that the 5905 has a lot going for it. I'll relay my own personal experience...I picked up a 5960p with grey dial a couple months back, and I couldn't be happier. It seems as though that reference comes up in every other thread on this forum as a dog, particularly the grey dial, but I don't really care. Again, to partially steal from Martinr, I picked up a platinum patek with annual calendar and with a chrono for what I believe to be a very fair price, and I love wearing it (it's gotten the most wrist time by far since I drove home with it). In my opinion, you lose money flipping watches, not buying one you really like and holding onto it it for at least a decent amount of time. If the 5905 is what you like, and there are a lot of reasons to like it, don't be dissuaded by what you've read in this thread
Agree. Us Patek aficionados are tough folk. Almost every watch they make is beautiful in it's own way. But other than a couple of unique models they probably won't appreciate and might in fact depreciate a reasonable amount. I also agree with you on the 5960P. I think for the prices they're going for now it's a hell of a watch for the money and I always found it to be a beautifully executed watch. In fact I might pass not he 5170G and go for one.
cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote