The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 September 2016, 12:13 AM   #1
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Rolex vs. Apple Watch

Ok, of course there is NO comparison at all!

But what I am wrestling with is especially with the new Apple Watch 2, there are lots of cool health monitoring features (gps for running/walking, swimming calorie burn, cardio/heart monitoring..etc). I really want to take advantage of these Apple Watch features, but in order to do so, you really have to wear the Apple Watch every day, practically religiously. Because if you rotate the Apple Watch on/off every few days (like most of us do with other watches), you won't get all the raw data and metrics over time on your activities, and it kind of defeats the purpose.

And of course I cannot take off my Rolex for more than a day or two. At least one of my Rolexes will pop right back into my rotation and onto my wrist no matter what.

So what's the solution?

I'm thinking a longer term solution is that Apple makes a "band" like a Fitbit band that has all the health monitoring features so I can wear my Rolex AND the Apple band (yet to be invented). But in the mean time what to do...
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:27 AM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

It is more like swiss luxury watch vs electronic smart watch.

20 years ago people can live without a cell phone. Now smartphone is a must for daily life. Could smart watch become necessity someday in the near future? Just one new Steve Jobs away from that day.

WIS will soon have to wear two things I believe
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:27 AM   #3
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I only use it when working out. I dont think the daily metrics of life are quite as important unless you never go to the gym or work out
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:28 AM   #4
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
It is more like swiss luxury watch vs electronic smart watch.

20 years ago people can live without a cell phone. Now smartphone is a must for daily life. Could smart watch become necessity someday in the near future? Just one new Steve Jobs away from that day.

WIS will soon have to wear two things I believe
Yes, this is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to wear TWO watches!
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:31 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I wear my Apple watch while exercising and all my other watches the rest of the time.

Simple.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:34 AM   #6
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Want to get an apple watch for working out. But refuse until they enable it to be wifi capable without having to use your iPhone.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:38 AM   #7
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I don't own or wear an Apple watch. I love my mechanical watches too much to ever go back to wearing an electronic watch (except for my Casio G-Shocks to time my walks, which are radio controlled and sun-powered).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:43 AM   #8
guy369
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
I cannot recall the name, hence why I cannot post the link.

But I have seen small circle pieces which are about 2-3mm thick that anyone can place on the back of their watch to sync with their phones to get all the health features of the apple watch.

When/If I have time later tonight I will try to find it and post to this thread, I believe it was on kickstarter
guy369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:48 AM   #9
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Yes, this is what I'm afraid of. I don't want to wear TWO watches!
Ok, lets be clear: If you're wearing an Apple Watch and a Rolex you're only wearing ONE watch.

I may be really old school, but I fail to see how something that did not exist a few years ago can now be indispensable.

People worked out and trained before this tendency of constant monitoring, or are we all suddenly going for pro-level performance fitness ?

I know for a fact that I can happily live without a device constantly monitoring my vitals.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 12:48 AM   #10
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

This is like Steinway vs Casio keyboard. The two coexist yet dont effect each others sales.
Old 10 September 2016, 01:16 AM   #11
Ragna
Banned

Are the vitals really vital?
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 01:44 AM   #12
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna View Post
Are the vitals really vital?
Usually yes, until they become lethal....
Old 10 September 2016, 01:55 AM   #13
Cryten
"TRF" Member

The skill of the advertiser is to create a want, not fulfil a need. We as a species have survived for tens of thousands of years without 24/7 health monitoring so I'm pretty confident we'll all be ok, contrary to what Apple would have us believe.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:07 AM   #14
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
There are apps that do everything the apple watch does without having to buy yet another piece of electronics that has to be charged everyday. I carry my phone whenever moving or exercising. Samsung has a built in app that monitors your steps, distance, calories burned, and can measure your heart rate. I then use MapMyRun for GPS tracking and pace when I'm running. I'm sure apple has something similar. No need for that ugly smart watch IMO
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:10 AM   #15
Smart
Banned

Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:11 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Well, at the cost of being seen as a weirdo, i wear two watches (actually one watch and one wrist computer with FULL cell phone capability).

On typical location (left wrist being a righty) is a mechanical timepiece and on the right wrist is a Samsung Gear S2 Classic with 4G LTE on matching metal band. The Apple watch is about three generations behind the curve and looks rather bland imho.

Check out the Samsung S2, or the upcoming S3 Frontier. The upcoming S3 Frontier is stunning and includes far more than the Apple Gen 1 or 2 offering, plus has far longer battery life too. Handles all the typical health stuff, wireless payment, GPS, plus you can make phone calls completely independent of the phone, etc. This way you can leave the brick phone at home or office and still get seamless fwd'ing of text messages, phone calls..... Apple watch is so limited in use compared to the Samsung offerings for the past few years (three generations to be exact).

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, Altimeter, 4G LTE, wireless payment, heart monitor, ~3 days of battery life, always on display (lowers batt life to a day-ish like Apple)....

https://news.samsung.com/global/sams...o-with-gear-s3

Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynTB211p1PQ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 02:13 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
"Cool health monitoring features"..

That's interesting for about a week.
Old 10 September 2016, 02:17 AM   #18
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

I am all for health monitors like fitbits.

My parents are much healthier with them. Anything that motivates people to live a healthier lifestyle is fine by me.

With that said, I don't wear a fitbit and I'm eating pizza for lunch.

And the new apple watch looks like a nice work out watch. Too bad I don't use an iPhone.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 03:09 AM   #19
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
Usually yes, until they become lethal....
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 03:12 AM   #20
Ragna
Banned

Should be called the Apple Gadget. We could put it in some of those armbands and that's it.
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 03:51 AM   #21
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Personally I do not see the appeal. I have asked people who wear a Fitbit (which I think is comparable for collecting raw data in regards to exercise habits) if they change their daily routines due to the information they gather. Most have not. I run on a treadmill so I am well aware of how far I have run and pace. For those who exercise outdoors, I believe there are apps (i.e. mapmyrun) that will give you some data; however I unsure of the quality or scope of information collected. I further feel that the Apple watch is just a piggyback-type device that still requires you to carry your phone to be fully functional and yet another thing to have to plug in at night.

Just my thoughts.
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 04:00 AM   #22
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
I know people that believe the Apple Watch improves their daily life. I know people that thought it would improve theirs, and it turns out that they don't see the benefits. I know people that bought one, wore it for a week, and stuck it in a drawer.

Then there are people like myself that don't see the point in them at all - just another device to worry about charging.
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 04:11 AM   #23
james walters
Banned

The wrist band would do just fine, I don't think watch lovers would ever replace a Rolex with an Apple watch even if it had hologram features
james walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 04:12 AM   #24
Blackdog
"TRF" Member

In forums like this one it is not a surprise that people talk about the Apple watch in terms of functionality.

About the need (or lack thereof) for it's functions. About how such and such device is far more advanced or convenient.

But let's not forget that there's a significant customer base that will buy it simply because it is Apple. And yet another segment that will buy it as some kind of status symbol. Otherwise, how can you explain the Hermés version ?

Sad but true. Another thing I notice is that this segment of consumers keep talking (dreaming, actually) about how the Apple Watch is hurting the high end watch industry and how Swiss watches are living on borrowed time...

(And I am a Mac user myself, just not an Apple fanatic)
Old 10 September 2016, 05:01 AM   #25
Malibuboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMUUURF
My solution is to wear the Apple Watch basically during the day ( working out ) and put my Rolex on around 5pm or when I head out.

A watchwinder will solve any winding issues.
Malibuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 05:56 AM   #26
tomj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust II 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnator View Post
Ok, of course there is NO comparison at all!

But what I am wrestling with is especially with the new Apple Watch 2, there are lots of cool health monitoring features (gps for running/walking, swimming calorie burn, cardio/heart monitoring..etc). I really want to take advantage of these Apple Watch features, but in order to do so, you really have to wear the Apple Watch every day, practically religiously. Because if you rotate the Apple Watch on/off every few days (like most of us do with other watches), you won't get all the raw data and metrics over time on your activities, and it kind of defeats the purpose.

And of course I cannot take off my Rolex for more than a day or two. At least one of my Rolexes will pop right back into my rotation and onto my wrist no matter what.

So what's the solution?

I'm thinking a longer term solution is that Apple makes a "band" like a Fitbit band that has all the health monitoring features so I can wear my Rolex AND the Apple band (yet to be invented). But in the mean time what to do...

Also note that a large number of the health monitoring features which the Apple Watch offers are available by default on your iPhone under the "Health" app. This includes distance walked, flights of stairs ascended, etc etc. Of course this relies on you carrying your iPhone everywhere, but I'd much rather do that than have to wear an Apple Watch over my DJ II :)
tomj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 06:13 AM   #27
Rondineli
Banned

Watch: DJ II
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I wear my Apple watch while exercising and all my other watches the rest of the time.

Simple.
^ this. But I wear my one DJ the rest of the time
Rondineli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 06:44 AM   #28
DPE
"TRF" Member

How about your Rolex for time and style. On the other arm you have a fit bit, not Apple.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 06:45 AM   #29
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I agree w/Dr. Tom that some missing data in weekly activity tracking won't change the slope much in your activity profile.
Although Apple calls it Health Kit, the truth is activity and heart rate are the only items it measures.
Now if they get better with the LEDs they might do integrated oximetry coupled with pulse.
But for time being it will be up to App developers to build better health monitoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2016, 06:45 AM   #30
rle737ng
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Get a Fitbit. Wear on your non-watch arm. That's what I do. Works great. Works with my iPhone. I get to wear Rolex.
rle737ng is offline   Reply With Quote