The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 October 2017, 06:19 AM   #1
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Home theater...

For the better part of a decade I’ve been rocking a Rotel surround processor and and separate 5 channel amp. I think the processor finally gave up the ghost and has a white noise coming from it. The noise is the same “volume” no matter the decibel setting and only goes away if you turn the amp off.

Anyways, I’ve been out of the game for a long time and it’s would be nice to upgrade to hdmi connections on the back of the processor. I would like to stick with a surround processor and separate amp setup, who are the players? I’m sure I can get something pretty decent for my needs around 3k no?
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2017, 09:24 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
At that price point I doubt it.

I would go with a something in the RX line from Yamaha and save yourself some hasle, cables and money.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 12:49 PM   #3
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Since you are used to the warm Rotel sound, check out some of the new Marantz offerings. Either component or separates, they are biased towards audio first and video second IMHO.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 11:45 PM   #4
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Are you just going to upgrade the pre/pro (e.g. RSP-1582) and keep your existing amp?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 11:54 PM   #5
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Are you just going to upgrade the pre/pro (e.g. RSP-1582) and keep your existing amp?
Didn't think about that option.
Old 11 October 2017, 12:40 AM   #6
function12
"TRF" Member

The RSP-1582 just got an HDMI 2.0 upgrade. So that might be a good choice. I am leaning that way myself. Just waiting to see if the new HDMI board is having any issues.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 03:09 AM   #7
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
My buddy has a Marantz sound processor and it sounds great. Do not remember the model # but it has like 7 HDMI in and 3 out. I think it was under 2K. He is very happy with it.

I use an Onkyo receiver and Klipsch 7.1 in wall speaks with a sub mounted under the floor. System is 7 years old and is still relevant. I have been very satisfied with the all around performance for music, movies and regular TV.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 03:26 AM   #8
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by function12 View Post
The RSP-1582 just got an HDMI 2.0 upgrade. So that might be a good choice. I am leaning that way myself. Just waiting to see if the new HDMI board is having any issues.
Yep, 4K pass through so I can at least run the source signal through it tonthebtv and still get 4K.

Not sure if the current rmb amp I have will work or just get a new one.
Old 11 October 2017, 04:36 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
Yep, 4K pass through so I can at least run the source signal through it tonthebtv and still get 4K.

Not sure if the current rmb amp I have will work or just get a new one.
Some of the old amps are still very good. I got seperates in part to be able to upgrade the pre/pros independently.

The marantz 8802a and 7703 are good as well.
Old 11 October 2017, 04:39 AM   #10
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of the old amps are still very good. I got seperates in part to be able to upgrade the pre/pros independently.

The marantz 8802a and 7703 are good as well.
The amp is an RMB 1075 "THX" certified when that was still a thing.
Old 11 October 2017, 05:12 AM   #11
function12
"TRF" Member

Any of the RMB line will still work. I have heard the new amp have a fan that will drive you crazy.
My RMB 1075 drives my 805 d2 just fine.
function12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 08:45 AM   #12
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Hopefully you're able to find something suitable soon. I'm a Bose guy using the Acoustimass 10 Series IV with an Onkyo receiver (2011 model). Haven't looked into upgrading it for a while since I'm contented.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
You can pick up an Anthem AVM60 for that price but you'd still need the amp.
Their ARC system of room correction is top notch. I just purchased one earlier this year and love it.
There are quite a few ANTHEM vs MARANTZ threads out there.
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 10:12 AM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
audio systems are a black hole money pit. you can spend a ton. im good with my 70 inch tv and soundbar plus sub. no wires no problems.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2017, 10:46 AM   #15
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
audio systems are a black hole money pit. you can spend a ton. im good with my 70 inch tv and soundbar plus sub. no wires no problems.
Could say the same about any electronic your tv included. There will always be something new...OLED for example.

My current system has lasted me since 06 and I tom watching movies and listening to music. Not quite an audiofile but want better than box store stuff.
Old 11 October 2017, 10:53 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Could say the same about any electronic your tv included. There will always be something new...OLED for example.

My current system has lasted me since 06 and I tom watching movies and listening to music. Not quite an audiofile but want better than box store stuff.
ive got an aquos ive had since 2012. its nice still

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 03:44 AM   #17
breitlings
Banned

3k is enough for a nice pre/pro and your amp should be good to go. Most of the improvement in Sound Quality (SQ) will be from new DACs, new codecs like ATMOS/DTS:X and general signal from the pre/pro; I don't think upgrading the AMP will improve SQ unless unless something is broken or you want balanced inputs.
Old 12 October 2017, 04:42 AM   #18
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

We have Anthem products in a few rooms, including the theater, and I find the room correction software to be excellent. That said, I’m a generation behind and haven’t made the move to 4K or Atmos. I was able to get away with AVR’s as my speakers have pretty high sensitivity and the amp sections that Anthem puts into their receivers are pretty good.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 05:25 AM   #19
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Here are my options

Rotel
RSP 1582 $3499
RMB 1555 $1699

Finding a dealer is the difficult part as it looks like these are only sold at ADs

Marantz
AV 7704 $2199
MM7055 $1199

Optional 8802A $3999

Anthem
AVM 60 $2999
PVA 5 $1699

Other additions while I’m umpgrading.

XLR interconnects
Audio quest -$125 each

Speaker wire
Audioquest tbd

Rotel has the least amount of features, both the Marantz and anthem are comparable.
Old 13 October 2017, 01:38 PM   #20
josephvman
Banned

The problem I've found when shopping for separate preamp/power amps for home theater is that they all seem to be a generation behind the best home theater receivers in terms of decoding and setup systems. I auditioned a lot of stuff a few years ago when I needed to replace an Arcam system that was finally starting to act up after ten years of good service. The list included the newest Arcam receiver, Anthem, Marantz, and NAD. I ended up going with the NAD. The Arcam had the slight edge in 2 channel music listening, but the NAD was clearly better than the rest in that area, and had superior connectivity and much better Audyssey setup system. The think I like about the NAD is that it's upgradeable by changing modules and updating software. They've just released the 4k module that I'll be upgrading on mine, at a cost of around $700. This is far cheaper than replacing the entire unit for $3k.
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 01:44 PM   #21
rushca01
"TRF" Member

After all my research I believe I have settled on the anthem avm 60 and mca 525 for the amp.
Old 22 October 2017, 12:48 AM   #22
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Home theater...

Quick update..I did buy the anthem avm 60 but kept my Rotel RMB 1075 for the time being. I also picked up a Furman Elite PFI 15 and paradigm 95F floor speakers and matching Center channel...also upgraded some cables as well.

I will eventually pick up the anthem amp and go with balanced xlr interconnects and use the Rotel amp for the other Atmos channels.

Believe it or not but the Furman (imho) really cleaned up the satellite picture, I was skeptical but I do see a difference.

I made the rack when I moved out, all solid oak. I could buy nicer today but I like it because I made it.

Old 22 October 2017, 10:35 AM   #23
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Quick update..I did buy the anthem avm 60 but kept my Rotel RMB 1075 for the time being. I also picked up a Furman Elite PFI 15 and paradigm 95F floor speakers and matching Center channel...also upgraded some cables as well.

I will eventually pick up the anthem amp and go with balanced xlr interconnects and use the Rotel amp for the other Atmos channels.

Believe it or not but the Furman (imho) really cleaned up the satellite picture, I was skeptical but I do see a difference.

I made the rack when I moved out, all solid oak. I could buy nicer today but I like it because I made it.

Great setup and I think a good plan of action! The Sub EQ on the new Pre/Pros is very good as an aside. as for the conditioner, good power is important, and the sat likely has the weakest power supply circuitry so that is what I would suspect the most visible gains would come from.
Old 22 October 2017, 10:44 AM   #24
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great setup and I think a good plan of action! The Sub EQ on the new Pre/Pros is very good as an aside. as for the conditioner, good power is important, and the sat likely has the weakest power supply circuitry so that is what I would suspect the most visible gains would come from.
Thanks! The Rotel has done great with my current speakers and should have plenty of headroom for the new 95f and 55 center when they come in until I get either the anthem MCA 525 or A5.

Only thing I wish the anthem 60had was Bluetooth, Bluesound might make what I’m looking for though. I don’t buy cd’s or Blu-ray’s anymore with all the streaming stuff out there.
Old 27 October 2017, 11:24 AM   #25
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Phase 1 complete (new processor and new paradigm speakers). Phase 2, new amp because why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 30 October 2017, 03:57 AM   #26
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

Wow.

That is the setup of a single man or at lease one with a very understanding wife!

I am very jealous.

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 02:53 AM   #27
breitlings
Banned

What does your subwoofer set-up look like?

You have a lot of wall back there, you could easily get a 70" or 80" class LCD in that space.

I wouldn't go OLED at this point. I'm not even terribly sold on HDR, a solid 4k LED LCD would as big as possible would be a very noticeable step. I like 4k at big sizes, not necessarily because of the content (although it is nice) but because the reduced dot pitch is noticeable at 80". I would then get a costco squaretrade warranty on the TV (or bestbuy).

In terms of subs. I would add maybe 1 or 2 velodyne (if you do two you can go L+R or F+R or Big and Small e.g. 10" + 18") or JL subwoofers if you don't have any yet, then set your (anthem) crossovers automatically or on the pre/pro. I'd cross big speakers around 60-80hz, satelites and center at 80-110hz then cross your subs play to about 120hz. Some subs have automatic frequency control I don't think you need that because your PRE/PRO should have that.

Outside of a very few speakers you really don't want your speakers focused on bass, they will be more articulate and leave your amps to focus on specific frequencies while letting your sub amps (which are likely D-Class) handle the lows.

I would also move the center slightly askew so you can have a direct line of sight to the tweeter and mid on the center. I think that will give you better response at your listening position of the most important frequencies for the center channel. I'd also move the L+R a few feet further from the center to give you better stereo effect.

Great looking speakers and set-up! Hope you don't mind the advice but I think it may take your set-up over the top and provide huge bang-per-buck.
Old 31 October 2017, 03:25 AM   #28
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What does your subwoofer set-up look like?

You have a lot of wall back there, you could easily get a 70" or 80" class LCD in that space.

I wouldn't go OLED at this point. I'm not even terribly sold on HDR, a solid 4k LED LCD would as big as possible would be a very noticeable step. I like 4k at big sizes, not necessarily because of the content (although it is nice) but because the reduced dot pitch is noticeable at 80". I would then get a costco squaretrade warranty on the TV (or bestbuy).

In terms of subs. I would add maybe 1 or 2 velodyne (if you do two you can go L+R or F+R or Big and Small e.g. 10" + 18") or JL subwoofers if you don't have any yet, then set your (anthem) crossovers automatically or on the pre/pro. I'd cross big speakers around 60-80hz, satelites and center at 80-110hz then cross your subs play to about 120hz. Some subs have automatic frequency control I don't think you need that because your PRE/PRO should have that.

Outside of a very few speakers you really don't want your speakers focused on bass, they will be more articulate and leave your amps to focus on specific frequencies while letting your sub amps (which are likely D-Class) handle the lows.

I would also move the center slightly askew so you can have a direct line of sight to the tweeter and mid on the center. I think that will give you better response at your listening position of the most important frequencies for the center channel. I'd also move the L+R a few feet further from the center to give you better stereo effect.

Great looking speakers and set-up! Hope you don't mind the advice but I think it may take your set-up over the top and provide huge bang-per-buck.
Thanks for the advice! 4k projector isn't on the table anytime soon. The current TV is a sony 4k I got in January of this year.

Right now I'm using a 10" Klipsch sub, I have the front speakers set to 80hz via the processor.
Old 31 October 2017, 04:39 AM   #29
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Awesome! And congrats. And here I thought I was sophisticated with my Bose Lifestyle 10. I listen to it a lot, enjoy New-Age music every night, I really should upgrade to a better system but I am so ignorant about the subject I don't even know what I am missing.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 05:14 AM   #30
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Wow.

That is the setup of a single man or at lease one with a very understanding wife!

I am very jealous.
That's what I was thinking. I would love a set up like that but there is no way my wife would allow those speakers in our main living room. Beautiful set up though and I am very jealous.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote