The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 October 2017, 09:11 PM   #31
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Very true. I’ve actually been to AP Clearwater and they treat you like royalty. Best customer service I’ve ever seen.

I’d get the AP. I love Rolex too but it ain’t an AP. IMHO
I'll also give two thumbs up to AP service, it is truly second to none in this business. Clearwater is always responsive, efficient and they do things right. Sent them a banged up Diver for warranty service and refinished, and it came back to me looking pristine in under 4 weeks.

But no one can beat the APSC in Ottawa, Canada. Sent them a roughed up/broken RO Chronograph. In less than 2 weeks it was returned to me fully serviced and looking like new.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 11:07 PM   #32
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I have both the 15202st and the DD40 YG. While I love both, push come to shove, I'll keep the Jumbo.
Old 20 October 2017, 12:13 AM   #33
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Keep the AP jumbo and add a DD when you can.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:02 AM   #34
Nurv1717
"TRF" Member

I've had my 15202 for over 2 years now and it gets worn often. Still looks like new. I think it's the last piece in my collection I'd ever sell. I too would like a DD40 in Rose gold someday, but I'd never sell the 15202 to get it.

I know I can walk in any store any time and pick up the DD40, the 15202 not so much. I think you would really regret selling the 15202, it's MUCH more special.
Nurv1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:19 AM   #35
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
I'll also give two thumbs up to AP service, it is truly second to none in this business. Clearwater is always responsive, efficient and they do things right. Sent them a banged up Diver for warranty service and refinished, and it came back to me looking pristine in under 4 weeks.

But no one can beat the APSC in Ottawa, Canada. Sent them a roughed up/broken RO Chronograph. In less than 2 weeks it was returned to me fully serviced and looking like new.
Clearwater from what i hear, i agree. In general i disagree. Ive thought many times about writing a full review of the six month long experience starting with trying to buy straps and ending with my RG being returned after a service, but it would end up in the "watch out" section and get buried among all the eBay sellers.

The little i have disclosed was enough for another member to confirm he was also offered a manufacture visit to make up for terrible service early this year, also from London.... he never heard from them again. Same as me, and thats how they treat people who they are trying to make it right with... so that is pretty telling.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:49 AM   #36
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Clearwater from what i hear, i agree. In general i disagree. Ive thought many times about writing a full review of the six month long experience starting with trying to buy straps and ending with my RG being returned after a service, but it would end up in the "watch out" section and get buried among all the eBay sellers.

The little i have disclosed was enough for another member to confirm he was also offered a manufacture visit to make up for terrible service early this year, also from London.... he never heard from them again. Same as me, and thats how they treat people who they are trying to make it right with... so that is pretty telling.
That sounds like Patek here. Here APSC blows them all away!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:54 AM   #37
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
That sounds like Patek here. Here APSC blows them all away!
Ive heard that. My watches all are going to clearwater from now on. Ive learned from the experience at least.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 20 October 2017, 02:10 AM   #38
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

Yeah unfortunately it's YMMV.

When I ordered a strap from the Ottawa APSC, I received it the next day by courier. Less than 24 hours from when I made contact with them to it being on my watch.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 02:18 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
You will regret flipping the 15202. You will regret flipping the 15202. You will regret flipping the 15202.
Old 20 October 2017, 03:33 AM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would aim to own both, both beauties in very different ways. If you were to only have one watch I would make it Ken's RG.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 10:15 PM   #41
SS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202-ST
Well, in simple terms it seems that the majority in here believe that ill regret flipping the 15202. To test the theory, i visited the local Rolex AD and many DD options available on the day, cannot say the same for the AP, theyre definitely much more difficult to source.

At this point i think ill have to go with my gut. When the dealer calls me to let me know he has a DD40 in stock with the right dial combo (champagne), ill pay a visit, try both on and see which one wants to go home with me.
SS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:09 AM   #42
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
The DD is no doubt an amazing piece. You can walk into any Rolex AD and likely find one with a dial of your choice.
A 15202 requires a 25% deposit and a 6 month to one year wait (at least where I am). In the end it's your choice but I just wanted to illustrate how special and coveted the Jumbo is.
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:57 AM   #43
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

as many here have already said, DO NOT flip the jumbo.
it's too rare a piece, u will absolutely regret it.

that being said, I'm of the opinion that it and the DD (esp in YG) can be very different within ur rotation.

i got the 36mm pres in YG, and at no time did i think it was an overlap with the jumbo.
I'm usually in suits for work, so out of sheer practical usage, the SS/blue jumbo and YG/silver each go better with different color outfits.

if u can swing it, add the DD. and if that's not feasible, DO NOT flip the jumbo.
i never considered going up the the larger DD size, i wanted to stay 'classic' with the original 36mm pres. something u may want to consider as well.
and like it's been said here, those pres models can be found anywhere at great pre-owned prices... that's the route i took.

good luck and have fun with it!

tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 05:39 PM   #44
SS1
"TRF" Member

In this case the only sensible thing to do is try add the DD to my collection rather than flip. I think too many voices warning against flipping for me to simply ignore. Letting go of the Jumbo wont be easy in any case and my wife is (who seems to always be right) has strongly warned me against flipping the Jumbo. I guess ill wait this one out and see how i feel about it at a later date.
Old 25 October 2017, 06:01 PM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
In this case the only sensible thing to do is try add the DD to my collection rather than flip. I think too many voices warning against flipping for me to simply ignore. Letting go of the Jumbo wont be easy in any case and my wife is (who seems to always be right) has strongly warned me against flipping the Jumbo. I guess ill wait this one out and see how i feel about it at a later date.
good choice
Old 25 October 2017, 07:12 PM   #46
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Love to see some pics of it. Also you only mentioned the Panda above not the 15400? Lastly wait 6 months for APSC to refinish a watch? I have owned dozens of AP’s over the years and the longest I ever waited for a full service from APSC was 6 weeks. Most have been completed in 4 weeks which is one of the reasons I love AP. They have the best service of any watch I have ever owned bar none.
Is this referencing the APSC in the US? I hear a lot of Clearwater APSC and am wondering how APSC in the US is, since it is probably where my AP will be going should I ever encounter a problem with my watch.
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 07:22 PM   #47
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
Is this referencing the APSC in the US? I hear a lot of Clearwater APSC and am wondering how APSC in the US is, since it is probably where my AP will be going should I ever encounter a problem with my watch.
Yes...Best in the business bar none!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:36 PM   #48
SS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupbklyn View Post
as many here have already said, DO NOT flip the jumbo.
it's too rare a piece, u will absolutely regret it.

that being said, I'm of the opinion that it and the DD (esp in YG) can be very different within ur rotation.

i got the 36mm pres in YG, and at no time did i think it was an overlap with the jumbo.
I'm usually in suits for work, so out of sheer practical usage, the SS/blue jumbo and YG/silver each go better with different color outfits.

if u can swing it, add the DD. and if that's not feasible, DO NOT flip the jumbo.
i never considered going up the the larger DD size, i wanted to stay 'classic' with the original 36mm pres. something u may want to consider as well.
and like it's been said here, those pres models can be found anywhere at great pre-owned prices... that's the route i took.

good luck and have fun with it!

both pieces are absolutely beautiful. Enjoy them
Old 26 October 2017, 04:01 PM   #49
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes...Best in the business bar none!
As if kens word isn't the gospel I will provide a recent example. Just sent my jumbo in for warranty service and it was returned in 20 days door to door. Nothing less than perfect communication from start to finish.
Old 26 October 2017, 09:20 PM   #50
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
As if kens word isn't the gospel I will provide a recent example. Just sent my jumbo in for warranty service and it was returned in 20 days door to door. Nothing less than perfect communication from start to finish.
makes me even more stoked to get my jumbo. Put my deposit down in July and was told a few months. Production delays have put it in early 2018 now. Ah well, the anticipation is half the fun
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:22 PM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
makes me even more stoked to get my jumbo. Put my deposit down in July and was told a few months. Production delays have put it in early 2018 now. Ah well, the anticipation is half the fun
Im extremely excited to get it back. Waiting on FedEx now.

Def worth the wait. I had been corresponding with keeno at the NY boutique about a custom rotor 15202 and I waited too long. By the time I made up my mind the waitlist was closed for the year.

I was fortunate to come across this one at a good price.
Old 26 October 2017, 11:37 PM   #52
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Im extremely excited to get it back. Waiting on FedEx now.

Def worth the wait. I had been corresponding with keeno at the NY boutique about a custom rotor 15202 and I waited too long. By the time I made up my mind the waitlist was closed for the year.

I was fortunate to come across this one at a good price.
Lucky! Seems like they’re going over MSRP now.
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:44 PM   #53
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
Well, in simple terms it seems that the majority in here believe that ill regret flipping the 15202. To test the theory, i visited the local Rolex AD and many DD options available on the day, cannot say the same for the AP, theyre definitely much more difficult to source.

At this point i think ill have to go with my gut. When the dealer calls me to let me know he has a DD40 in stock with the right dial combo (champagne), ill pay a visit, try both on and see which one wants to go home with me.
If you want a DD with champagne dial why not keep the 15202 and buy a used one? They are readily available at discount on the grey market. I couldn't justify letting go of a 15202 for the DD.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 12:08 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tay821 View Post
Lucky! Seems like they’re going over MSRP now.
Not for you! You have one lined up
Old 29 October 2017, 10:18 PM   #55
SS1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchingAustin View Post
If you want a DD with champagne dial why not keep the 15202 and buy a used one? They are readily available at discount on the grey market. I couldn't justify letting go of a 15202 for the DD.
Value the advice. I actually flipped the jumbo for a 15400OR, a day later i reversed the trade. Im in the process of writing a post about my experience. In brief, i can confirm that everyone who predicted that id regret flipping the jumbo was absolutely right.
Old 30 October 2017, 02:38 AM   #56
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
You know they now make a YG Jumbo with gold / champgne dial.
They would be the best of both worlds in my opinion.
But for what you’d have to pay, you should just add the YG DD
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2017, 02:35 PM   #57
SS1
"TRF" Member

If there's something must say, you were all right. I became too complaicent and didnt appreciate the jumbo until i didnt have it anymore. I flipped it on Friday for the 15400OR and as soon as i left the store, i felt a deep sense of loss and depression. For the next 24 hours, i almost didnt care that i had just bought a really beautiful statement piece and all i could think of was the jumbo id left behind. A day later i was back at the store, cap in hand, asking to reverse the trade. What happened next is what affirmed my appreciation for the jumbo. My heart dropped when the dealer told me that he'd sold the jumbo almost as soon as i left the store. I was absolutely at a loss for words or actions. As i still had the jumbo's guarantee book and the extra links in my possession, i asked that the dealer plead with the buyer to return the jumbo. I left the store and within the hour the dealer confirmed that the piece would be returned on the following day. I picked it up yesterday and boy oh boy am i pleased. I know that many special pieces exist, but this particular one now has my full appreciation. I do not believe that ill consider flipping again. I would be tempted to flip for a RG jumbo with blue dial, but thats about it. If any other PM within a similar price range or below, ill wait it out and try to add to my collection rather than trade. This truly is a special piece to me. Here's a pic from the reunion haha, excuse the quality, i shot it with my mobile.