The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 October 2017, 03:27 AM   #1
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Do female tennis players really deserve equal pay?

sensitive topic alert! what do you guys think?

would be interesting to hear what the women on TRF think about this as well?

article here https://kijanawaasi.com/female-tenni...ers-equal-pay/

"Imagine your co-worker, who does half the work and delivers less than half the numbers you deliver crying that they want your pay"
APRolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:36 AM   #2
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I'm triggered!
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:43 AM   #3
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think the women's game is far too short and the men's is too long. I would play best of three and first to nine games wins the set. So 18 games is the minimum still a man would have to win.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:52 AM   #4
BristolCavendish
Banned

Not trying to resurrect the Billy Jean King/Bobby Riggs challenge but if a woman can beat a man at the same game, then equal pay is justified. The same goes for the corporate world and other professions.

When the competition is limited to gender and age factors, then equal pay becomes questionable to a certain extent.

Danica Patrick can hold her own against other male drivers so in her case, equal pay is justified. As far as tennis and golf, an open competition would soon prove that most women could not compete successfully against male competitors.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:53 AM   #5
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
"The worst part is, the main reason why women sports, in general, doesn’t make big money is that women don’t support each other. The ratio between men and women in most countries is very even, a matter of fact women tend to outnumber and outlive men. All women have to do is just tune in and watch the WNBA, soccer, tennis etc. and they would be super wealthy."

'This website was built for free thinkers, who refuse to be brainwashed into believing every piece of "news" they see on TV. Even if we do not agree with you, we openly accept debate that is based on reason and logic.'

... only the logic we want to believe.

so much wrong with this puff piece.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 05:23 AM   #6
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
You should be paid based on the revenue you generate for your employer. Any other way and you'll both be out of work.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:12 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
You should be paid based on the revenue you generate for your employer. Any other way and you'll both be out of work.
The US women's national soccer team earned more revenue than the men's team yet are paid way less. Plus they actually win.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:20 AM   #8
crc45
"TRF" Member

Professional sports are not games, they are businesses with a product to sell. If people are willing to pay more money for your product then you have the enjoyment of putting more money in your pocket.
crc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:33 AM   #9
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
The US women's national soccer team earned more revenue than the men's team yet are paid way less. Plus they actually win.
Does the US soccer teams get salaries to play? I think the England players make most of their money from their premier league teams. If the US men's team have the same set up then that would explain why they earn more overall.
Old 20 October 2017, 06:39 AM   #10
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Yeah! Plus I much prefer to watch women's beach volleyball to the men's game.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 06:52 AM   #11
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Well then they've got a gripe.........and leverage.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:02 AM   #12
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by APRolexguy View Post
Does the US soccer teams get salaries to play? I think the England players make most of their money from their premier league teams. If the US men's team have the same set up then that would explain why they earn more overall.
Yes both the USMNT and the USWNT both get paid. The women's gripe is the US Soccer Federation isn't paying them the same as men when they bring in just as much revenue or close to what they USMNT generates and like Tyler1980 said, they actually win but are paid way less.

The league salaries are a different story since there's no revenue in the women's professional soccer league compared to MLS.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:10 AM   #13
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
. . . . . Danica Patrick can hold her own against other male drivers . . . . .
A kind assessment, indeed.
Old 20 October 2017, 07:19 AM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

Danica Patrick can hold her own against other male drivers so in her case, equal pay is justified.
She's never won a NASCAR race. Best finish is 4th. If she actually won some races, you might have a point. Since she hasn't, I wouldn't hold her up as an example of holding her own (unless you're lowering the bar again).
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:29 AM   #15
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Not trying to resurrect the Billy Jean King/Bobby Riggs challenge but if a woman can beat a man at the same game, then equal pay is justified. The same goes for the corporate world and other professions.

When the competition is limited to gender and age factors, then equal pay becomes questionable to a certain extent.

Danica Patrick can hold her own against other male drivers so in her case, equal pay is justified. As far as tennis and golf, an open competition would soon prove that most women could not compete successfully against male competitors.

As an avid tennis player and watcher, Billy Jean King vs Bobby Riggs was not an equal playing field. She was the current #1 woman tennis player in the world and Bobby Riggs was not only retired but 55 years old at the time. He wanted to make some money so he challenged her even though he had a very good chance of losing.

But i agree if we put both male and female on the same court and let them play again each other. Than they should have equal pay but at the moment they don't.

It all comes down to advertisements. In the article it explained "In the 2017 Australian Open, the men’s final had 4.4 million views in Australia. In comparison, the women’s finals had 1.7 million."

Theres a big difference in total advertisement revenue. The WMBA has been having this conversation for over 20 years. Nothing has happened because it all comes down to advertisement revenues plain and simple.

Nothing to do with there ability or worth as athletes.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:29 AM   #16
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
She's never won a NASCAR race. Best finish is 4th. If she actually won some races, you might have a point. Since she hasn't, I wouldn't hold her up as an example of holding her own (unless you're lowering the bar again).
Seems she’s regularly competitive. And certainly “drives” interest in the sport. But I don’t know anything about nascar.

Has every male competitor won a race at one point or another?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:35 AM   #17
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If the revenue from ticket sales, advertising, merchandising and food/drinks sold during the match is the same, then, yes, of course, regardless of match length.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:43 AM   #18
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN

Not all but Maria and Serena. Nuff said. And let’s be honest who would you rather watch those beautiful women. Thee men can keep my attention unless it’s the finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:48 AM   #19
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
In sports it's not so easy. But I'm a firm believer that (for example) a female pilot should have the same pay as a male pilot.

Simple as that.
Old 20 October 2017, 08:10 AM   #20
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Seems she’s regularly competitive. And certainly “drives” interest in the sport. But I don’t know anything about nascar.

Not by a long shot.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:15 AM   #21
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
In sports it's not so easy. But I'm a firm believer that (for example) a female pilot should have the same pay as a male pilot.

Simple as that.
I think most sensible men would agree with this indeed.
Old 20 October 2017, 08:36 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Not with a 3 sets match IMHO. They should play 5 at least on the four grand slams finals to deserve the same money. But to be honest I don't like to watch 5 sets, let alone play, so men should play 3 and call it a day.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:37 AM   #23
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

She's widely considered a promotional venture more than a driver. Being the only woman is an advantage for her, and she shrewdly exploits that. If BC intended his comment to mean that she holds her own against the men in marketing herself, he would be correct. In race performance, not so much.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:41 AM   #24
MrTwi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APRolexguy View Post
Do female golf pros on the tour deserve equal pay as the male pros? Do the play the same yardage? If so, why are they segregated?
MrTwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 08:55 AM   #25
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwi View Post

Do female golf pros on the tour deserve equal pay as the male pros? Do the play the same yardage? If so, why are they segregated?
not really clued up on golf to be honest haha don't understand the rules or dynamics
Old 20 October 2017, 10:01 AM   #26
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
She's widely considered a promotional venture more than a driver. Being the only woman is an advantage for her, and she shrewdly exploits that. If BC intended his comment to mean that she holds her own against the men in marketing herself, he would be correct. In race performance, not so much.
So she’s not regularly competitive?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:07 AM   #27
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The rate of pay is directly related to tv ratings no?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:41 AM   #28
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

An even better point.

Quote:
While Danica Patrick might be lacking in certain personality skills/gifts, she is still a highly-talented professional race car driver and I'd be willing to wager that most of us here couldn't beat her on a track regardless of the vehicle (even with a handicap). While she may not have finished any higher than 4th/NASCAR, at least she was given the opportunity to win the top prize amongst the other male drivers which is what this topic is all about. BTW, Shirley 'Cha-Cha' Muldowney was pretty darn good in NHRA racing and as a youngster, I recall Janet Guthrie as being very proficient in Indy Car.

As far as 'participation' ribbons/trophies are concerned, some have their place. Maybe not in competitive sports where individual statistics and team won-lost records are being recorded but in activities such as science fairs, literary/forensic competitions and art/theater, why not? Better to encourage kids in areas where they may have a true calling or passion. No one's keeping score in the humanities last time I checked.

I don't know if you ever 'lettered' in HS but where I come from, varsity letters were awarded for making and staying on the team. Not everyone could be of all-league/division/state caliber but those who endured earned their letters. It's no different than receiving a 'service ribbon' in the military for active participation even though one may not have had a direct impact on the eventual outcome.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 10:55 AM   #29
josephvman
Banned

I think the US National teams (men and women) get paid a pretty small salary relative to what soccer clubs pay (at least in the case of men). I know the entry pay for women in the NWSL (women's soccer in the US) is something ridiculous like $13,000 a season. Many of these girls literally live with families that foster them like exchange students just so they can afford to play. I went to one of their matches for the first time this summer, and there were possibly 2,000 people there, in a soccer stadium that seats 22,000. Granted, it was pushing 100f degrees that day, but I felt bad for the players and now understand the pay structure. I know the owner of the team, and he does it for the love of the game, but he's losing a ton of money every time they play at home. I was pretty disappointed with the quality of play though, which was essentially NCAA level, with the exception of the few women who play for their respective national teams, and the disparity was huge.

Frankly professional tennis is really the only female sport I can think of that actually has any sort of global fan following or television coverage. For that reason alone I'd like to see their compensation get closer to that of the men's game. I do think it would be more exciting to see them play best of five sets in the majors though. Some of Serena's finals don't last as long as the commercial break!
josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 11:32 AM   #30
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
For the record, Danica has made 185 starts in the Cup Series
She has never finished in the top 5 and has just 7 top 10 finishes
All this driving with one of the elite teams on the circuit, Stewart-Hass
I think it's safe to say, if she hadn't been as big a t-shirt and poster seller as she's been, she'd have likely lost her ride earlier than this year.

She had as good a chance as anyone could have asked for.