The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 October 2017, 05:31 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

2017 Halloween Costumes Revisited

As per an earlier thread I have decided to forego sporting a realistic bear costume while accompanying my youngster on Halloween night. The bear costumes that I had checked out were kind of nasty/musty from previous rentals and I have no intention of buying a brand new one for a one-night occasion. Plus Mrs. BC has offered to assume a non-costumed role of supervising our daughter while she bags a few sweets. I now have the low-key duty of answering the door and dispersing candy when the neighborhood kids stop by.

Which brings me to another topic. There have been some recent discussions regarding the appropriateness of certain Halloween costumes and with the emergence of our growing PC consciousness and awareness, some masquerade portrayals are now considered in poor taste. Many of the costumes now coming under scrutiny are those that caricature various ethnic, gender and/or cultural backgrounds. Back in the 1960s, I recall that some boys would dress up as girls, hobos/tramps, and persons of various 3rd world/developing countries. Nowadays this is often considered somewhat taboo given certain sensitivities. There were even some reported incidents of Anne Frank Halloween costumes being pulled off the racks this year due to poor taste/insensitivities.

So the question is. As parents, do you instill certain parameters and guidelines in regards to your children's choice of Halloween costumes? Our 8-year old daughter has decided to go as '7 of 9' from Star Trek: Voyager which should pose no problems (unless the Borg collective decides to file a defamatory complaint).
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
7 of 9 is good (sans the skin tight uniform, which wouldn't be age appropriate).

If the bear won't work, how about Johnny Human Torch?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 06:34 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

As a Dutch person I'm probably not your go to advise on costumes (Google Zwarte Piet, our age old holiday got some heat...), But like I did as a kid I'd keep it simple: Pirate, cow boy, witch, ghost, etc. 7 of 9 sounds like a fine idea.

As a side note... What kind of fkn parents would let their kids dress like Anne Frank for Halloween?!?!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 07:06 AM   #4
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
As a Dutch person I'm probably not your go to advise on costumes (Google Zwarte Piet, our age old holiday got some heat...), But like I did as a kid I'd keep it simple: Pirate, cow boy, witch, ghost, etc. 7 of 9 sounds like a fine idea.

As a side note... What kind of fkn parents would let their kids dress like Anne Frank for Halloween?!?!
I saw a pic on Facebook of the advertisement for the costume. Tasteless. What made it worse was it wasn't presented tastelessly, but honestly historical. The sheer ignorance/innocence of the ad was mind boggling. Any parent that would get this for a child is a clinical moron.
Old 22 October 2017, 01:09 PM   #5
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!)
"TRF" Member

Disney, Anime Cosplay, and Venetian Masquerade are the big favorites in my household.

Other options done were doctor, lawyer, police officer, and Marine.
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ{Adventure!) is offline   Reply With Quote