The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 October 2017, 05:15 AM   #1
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
15300OR.OO.D088CR.02 do it all watch?

Hello

I wanted to get opinions on the 15300OR in rose gold on a strap (white dial) as a watch that I could both dress up and down. Before I tried this watch on yesterday I was looking into a Patek 5296 in white gold as a dress watch. But when I tried this watch on I basically fell in love with it. I had always been hesitant in purchasing a gold watch because of my age (17) I didn’t think that I was old enough to pull off a gold watch. I need a watch that I can use as a dress watch but when I tried this watch on it also felt a slight bit causal. So my question, do you guys think this watch works for both a dress watch and a casual watch or do you think it only does one category well.
Kevin O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:27 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Honestly you need to be looking at a 15202. I would recommend SS and not gold but its going to be harder to find. That is a do it all watch. Don't get an AP and not get one on a bracelet.

For someone who is 17, its a bit more sporty as how many occasions do you really have where you need to dress it up? You still can dress it up however. Good call on not getting a PP Calatrava. Thats great that you can get watches at your age, but that one is way age inappropriate IMO.

To answer your original question, no i don't think the 15300or on a strap is casual. There is no way i would wear it with shorts and a t-shirt for example. Business casual yes. The leather strap automatically disqualifies it as being a do it all watch as it can't get wet.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:43 AM   #3
martinr
"TRF" Member

Let's see a wrist shot.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:44 AM   #4
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Honestly you need to be looking at a 15202. I would recommend SS and not gold but its going to be harder to find. That is a do it all watch. Don't get an AP and not get one on a bracelet.

For someone who is 17, its a bit more sporty as how many occasions do you really have where you need to dress it up? You still can dress it up however. Good call on not getting a PP Calatrava. Thats great that you can get watches at your age, but that one is way age inappropriate IMO.

To answer your original question, no i don't think the 15300or on a strap is casual. There is no way i would wear it with shorts and a t-shirt for example. Business casual yes.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually dress up in a full 3 piece suit 3 or 4 times a month but the rest of the time I am somewhat business causal for work. I would probably use a sub or speedmaster for the rare days that I am completely casual. All of my other watches are on bracelets so I was looking for something a little bit different. Don’t get me wrong the AP bracelets are amazing. But I would not want a gold AP on a bracelet at the moment. I tried the steel 15202 on and it just didn’t do it for me after trying the rose gold on.
Old 23 October 2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Let's see a wrist shot.

CBBD6C45-DA43-4B3C-8BA6-ACBC1837CF1F.jpeg

Sorry for the bad quality photo I had to zoom in so the photo was within the 1250x1250 dimensions.
Old 23 October 2017, 05:53 AM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin O'Brien View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I usually dress up in a full 3 piece suit 3 or 4 times a month but the rest of the time I am somewhat business causal for work. I would probably use a sub or speedmaster for the rare days that I am completely casual. All of my other watches are on bracelets so I was looking for something a little bit different. Don’t get me wrong the AP bracelets are amazing. But I would not want a gold AP on a bracelet at the moment. I tried the steel 15202 on and it just didn’t do it for me after trying the rose gold on.
a gold watch sends a message. If thats a message you want to send then by all means do it as i don't know your work situation. I know for me, i have been in situations where my peers and subordinates at work were twice my age and my boss was too. If i showed up with a gold watch it wouldn't have looked good as i would have been showing them up. Its stupid and shouldn't matter but I'm guessing people you work with are not also 17. Your age works against you some times.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 23 October 2017, 05:57 AM   #7
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
a gold watch sends a message. If thats a message you want to send then by all means do it as i don't know your work situation. I know for me, i have been in situations where my peers and subordinates at work were twice my age and my boss was too. If i showed up with a gold watch it wouldn't have looked good as i would have been showing them up. Its stupid and shouldn't matter but I'm guessing people you work with are not also 17. Your age works against you some times.

Completely agree with the age part. I’m in the commodities business in specific bullion and rare coins. I run my own company.
Old 23 October 2017, 07:28 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Completely agree with the age part. I’m in the commodities business in specific bullion and rare coins. I run my own company.
I can see why you'd like a gold piece, maybe get a full gold piece when you hit 20 and if business is still going well, now I'd get a SS as well. I had a RG ROC and it could be dressed up or down, very versatile.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 07:50 AM   #9
SamGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Attachment 898974

Sorry for the bad quality photo I had to zoom in so the photo was within the 1250x1250 dimensions.
This should be 15400OR.
SamGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:04 AM   #10
SamGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
The 15400OR is a beautiful watch, get what you like and don't bother what others says. Ultimately, you are the one wearing it!

easy picture upload
SamGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:19 AM   #11
Jowatch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Plenty
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamGMT View Post
The 15400OR is a beautiful watch, get what you like and don't bother what others says. Ultimately, you are the one wearing it!

easy picture upload

Agreed. 15400OR is nice.
Jowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:31 AM   #12
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This should be 15400OR.
Yes, it is the 15400 don't know how I missed that. 41mm.
Old 23 October 2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:

easy picture upload

Great looking watches!
Old 23 October 2017, 09:31 AM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

I would say wear what you like, but Tyler makes a good point about what kind of message you want to be sending, and that does take into account your work situation and age, like it or not.

I personally had a hard time deciding between the 15202ST and 15400OR (it was my first thread here on TRF.) In the end I went with 15202ST. I'm 28 and work in a rather low key business casual office. Gold just doesn't match well in my environment and the 15202ST is much more versatile. I've seen a few people in Hong Kong wearing 15400OR's with t-shirts and shorts and I thought it wasn't a great look. It is far from being a "do it all" watch.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 01:42 PM   #15
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
Will you wear this piece to high school too? Get a 42mm ROO at your age!
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 01:59 PM   #16
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

If at 17 you can afford to buy a gold AP/Patek, you shouldn’t care much about what others have to say. Keep doing what you’re doing and trusting your instincts.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 11:07 PM   #17
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Will you wear this piece to high school too? Get a 42mm ROO at your age!
I wouldn’t wear it to school. I wear my speedmaster to school. It doesn’t look like anything special so only the school police officer who has a submariner and speedmaster notice which I like. I have tried the ROO on both 42 and 44 mm and wasn’t a huge fan of the size. Although the contrast on the ROO 44mm rose gold is amazing. I think they have a little but too much going on for me.
Old 23 October 2017, 11:08 PM   #18
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrés G View Post
If at 17 you can afford to buy a gold AP/Patek, you shouldn’t care much about what others have to say. Keep doing what you’re doing and trusting your instincts.

Thank you. I’m thinking I will probably wait until I’m in college to buy it.
Old 23 October 2017, 11:14 PM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you. I’m thinking I will probably wait until I’m in college to buy it.
I'm taking the opposite view as most as i have seen a lot of I'm a teenager what luxury watch should i buy threads and they don't go well, usually.

Its great you are into watches. Its young guys like you that will keep the watch manufactures in business as i still want mechanical watch companies around by the time I'm 80 as they will need to go somewhere for service.

Most young people could care less about watches and that affects the rest of us negatively if there is no one new coming along to buy them.
Old 24 October 2017, 12:03 AM   #20
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm taking the opposite view as most as i have seen a lot of I'm a teenager what luxury watch should i buy threads and they don't go well, usually.

Its great you are into watches. Its young guys like you that will keep the watch manufactures in business as i still want mechanical watch companies around by the time I'm 80 as they will need to go somewhere for service.

Most young people could care less about watches and that affects the rest of us negatively if there is no one new coming along to buy them.
Yea I can understand your side completely. However I think it’s different for every person. I think there’s a big difference when it’s “daddy's money” and when you make it yourself. I am going to wait until I’m 20 or 21 and see if I still like it and then possibly buy it. As far as working for people, I haven’t so far and hope to continue to be my own boss. If the kind of watch im wearing decides where I can or can’t work I did something wrong. Thanks for the input.
Old 24 October 2017, 12:13 AM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
When I was 17 my main interests were going out to clubs and chasing girls, oh wait, at 46 that’s still 2 of my main interests, times change, seems I don’t, except physically...
That you want a watch is great, hope more your age are the same, but I would never even think of ANY gold watch at 17, most people in this world are jealous, and except if all your friends and family, yes family members also are jealous, are quite well off, a gold watch at 17 is sure to bring you unwanted attention, on the streets as well, I would stick to SS, got my first gold watch at age 40, and not full gold, of course if you want the attention go for it, I know I would not but your choice, the difference between now and when I was 17 is that you can always say it’s a fake if asked, 30 years ago there were fake watches but you could see from a distance it was crap... but if you really want a gold one go for the AP, a Calatrava at your age seems quite strange
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 12:26 AM   #22
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
When I was 17 my main interests were going out to clubs and chasing girls, oh wait, at 46 that’s still 2 of my main interests, times change, seems I don’t, except physically...
That you want a watch is great, hope more your age are the same, but I would never even think of ANY gold watch at 17, most people in this world are jealous, and except if all your friends and family, yes family members also are jealous, are quite well off, a gold watch at 17 is sure to bring you unwanted attention, on the streets as well, I would stick to SS, got my first gold watch at age 40, and not full gold, of course if you want the attention go for it, I know I would not but your choice, the difference between now and when I was 17 is that you can always say it’s a fake if asked, 30 years ago there were fake watches but you could see from a distance it was crap... but if you really want a gold one go for the AP, a Calatrava at your age seems quite strange
I’m not a fan of attention on materialistic things in general. What do you think of mid 20’s?
Old 24 October 2017, 01:30 AM   #23
Kevin O'Brien
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone who shared their opinions. I think I am going to revisit this watch in a few years.
Old 24 October 2017, 12:49 PM   #24
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
15300OR.OO.D088CR.02 do it all watch?

Go 15202. It’s not about being too young but the 15400 is a big statement. Perhaps too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk