The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2009, 04:20 AM   #1
Ck8
"TRF" Member

Do you fit into the Rolex in crowd??????

Most things especially luxury and designer goods have their target market group and image. Rolex should be no difference and has their perceived ideal customers and protrait image.
I like your opinion on what that image is and whether you feel you fit into this bracket.
I certainly don't consider I fit into the Rolex image, not in occupation or financial status. It just I have no other vices apart for my interest in mechanic watches.
Ck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
I think Rolex tend to concentrate on the professional image - i.e people who are achievers. Now, if they concentrated on the WIS who would sell a testicle for another Rolex, they would sell more than a million!

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 04:26 AM   #3
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Wow... interesting question. If fitting in to the Rolex crowed means I wear a lot of designer clothes, drive an expensive sports car and am always impeccibly dressed, then my answer would be %#@$ no! I drive a hybrid SUV, am usually scruffy, hair messed up and wear clothes that look like I bought them out of a good will store. But if fitting in means I have a lust for fine timepieces and appreciate high-quality, then I'm in!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 04:38 AM   #4
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
In the case of Rolex, it would appear that the images they project are an appeal for the portion of the middle class with disposible income to aspire to appear as something they are not.

Let's see:
  • I am not a tennis / golf star (don't play either)
  • I am not a famous diver / yachtsman (don't do either)
  • I am not a movie star (nor do I seek fame)
  • I am not a world leader (nor do I seek power)
  • I am not rich and/or beautiful (but not poor or bad looking)

So no, I guess I don't fit the image. Just a middle-aged family guy that lives in the burbs, works from home and drives a minivan.
Old 21 October 2009, 04:39 AM   #5
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I would also say that I do NOT fit in. While at work I dress professional but for me that is khakis with a collared shirt not tucked in... dont wear expensive clothes... Have an appreciation for Rolex but rarely would you ever know that I wear one as I am often in long sleeves. I just love the feel of my watches when I put them on, this is why I love Rolex. If you ran into me on the street and happened to see my watch you would most likely assume it was a fake as I would not look as if I could afford it...best part, I am ok with you thinking that
Old 21 October 2009, 04:41 AM   #6
chopperboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Baby!!
Paul,

Funny as I see it too! I work on a beef cattle ranch, wear jeans, cow shitty boots with spurs, and drive a 4-wheel dodge pick-up truck! Ain't no designer stuff here, other than 2,000 head of cattle, and lots of work! If not working cattle, I'm in the office handling administrative stuff, or guiding hunts on the ranch, so I'm to the other spectrum from a designer crowd!

But I do love my Rolex watches, and wear them while I'm working, playing, or being lazy!

Oh and my Panerai's too..................

Matt
Old 21 October 2009, 04:49 AM   #7
Vipergq

I'll go ahead and go against the grain and say YES.

Apart from being probably a little younger than their target age group (29) , I'd say I fit the target they advertise to.

I have a pretty Luxurious Job. Deal with a lot of people in the entertainment industry. Frequent the all the hot spots in LA, I am a Competitive athlete, and have the means necessary to buy their product.

So YES
Vipergq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 04:51 AM   #8
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post

So no, I guess I don't fit the image. Just a middle-aged family guy that lives in the burbs, works from home and drives a minivan.
hey...you are living my life...only I need to commute in my minivan into the office...

Old 21 October 2009, 04:51 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperboy View Post
Paul,

Funny as I see it too! I work on a beef cattle ranch, wear jeans, cow shitty boots with spurs, and drive a 4-wheel dodge pick-up truck! Ain't no designer stuff here, other than 2,000 head of cattle, and lots of work! If not working cattle, I'm in the office handling administrative stuff, or guiding hunts on the ranch, so I'm to the other spectrum from a designer crowd!

But I do love my Rolex watches, and wear them while I'm working, playing, or being lazy!

Oh and my Panerai's too..................

Matt
Here's to ya Mat!!!! I don't want to hijack the thread but I appreciate (and envy) guys like you, a hard days work in the fields, like the old days, to be honest, I wouldn't last 2 hours doing what you do!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 05:01 AM   #10
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocwatchnewbie View Post
hey...you are living my life...only I need to commute in my minivan into the office...

At least you get OUT!!!
Old 21 October 2009, 05:12 AM   #11
The Baron

Do you fit into the Rolex "in" crowd?

This is an interesting question. In my opinion Rolex advertising projects two images: accomplishment (climbing everest, exploring the ocean depths, high speed ventures, etc) and cultural sophistication (opera, ballet, actors, etc). Do I fit into this crowd? Yes, I do. I may not have accomplished great feats or socialize in high society, but I meet both of these images.

The purchase of my Rolex was a personal accomplishment and I bought a Rolex because I value the image it presents, subtle sophistication.

The rolex ads really work. If not, I would have bought a GP.

P.S. Rolexes are beautiful watches, but don't be fooled into thinking they are only meant for elites. They are obtainable to many, but only valued by the elite.
The Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 05:24 AM   #12
deserted
Banned

Watch: Patek 1909003
Well being a bankruptcy attorney i don't see myself fitting into a particular class of pepole because i'm wearing a rolex , actually there are alot of poor and middleclass pepole that own them, just the other day i was doing a bk for this young man and on his wrist was a daydate with diamonds enough to blind me...I asked him on his debt to income ratio to put down what he's listing in his bk and sure enough the daydate 32000usd and boy it sure look like it.

Thanks to you guys on the forum i was able to identify if it was real or not and it was a 100% genuine DD, the main thing this kid was worried about was if he can keep the DD you know darn the house and car he had listed , he was more into the DD and since he was part of the rolex family i gave him a 4%discount on his filing...He was a good kid.
deserted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 05:36 AM   #13
Vipergq

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserted View Post
Well being a bankruptcy attorney i don't see myself fitting into a particular class of pepole because i'm wearing a rolex , actually there are alot of poor and middleclass pepole that own them, just the other day i was doing a bk for this young man and on his wrist was a daydate with diamonds enough to blind me...I asked him on his debt to income ratio to put down what he's listing in his bk and sure enough the daydate 32000usd and boy it sure look like it.

Thanks to you guys on the forum i was able to identify if it was real or not and it was a 100% genuine DD, the main thing this kid was worried about was if he can keep the DD you know darn the house and car he had listed , he was more into the DD and since he was part of the rolex family i gave him a 4%discount on his filing...He was a good kid.

sometimes its clear how ones habits get them to the position they are in... :(
Vipergq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 05:46 AM   #14
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipergq View Post
sometimes its clear how ones habits get them to the position they are in... :(
x2
Old 21 October 2009, 06:03 AM   #15
stupidugly

Rolex is trying to portray an image of prestige IMHO. Just look at the kinds of things that they sponsor. US Sailing, The World Equestrian Games, The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra? Really? I mean talk about narrowing down your target market. I mean nothing against any of those things, I respect them all. It's just that all of these activities are targeted and involve a very small and select group of people. I mean, my interest in US sailing has diminished sine I sold my yacht and I just don't get to Vienna to enjoy the opera the way I used to. I've just been so busy lately getting my horses ready for the World Equestrian Games that I've had very little time to travel.
stupidugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 06:05 AM   #16
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I usually dress like a bum, so I guess not.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 06:07 AM   #17
cpsomas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 2254.50
I would say I don't fit into the Rolex crowd. I have a decent job and would consider myself middle class. I don't drive a fancy car and don't plan on purchasing one anytime soon because I just paid on my truck. I shop at Kohls because paying for expensive clothes is a waste because they don't last.

I bought my Rolex early on, (age 24) because I knew as soon as I started a family, my disposable income would go down the drain!
cpsomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 06:13 AM   #18
STEELINOX
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
No, I dont fit.
I am in the medical field and wear "SCRUBS" and a lab coat, and I interact with all walks of life. Movie stars, Sports stars, musicians, artists, anarchists, beach bumbs, bumbs, drug addicts that are rich and druggies that are poor, they all have a heart and when they mess it up they wind up in my lab! When I see a medical person wearing a fine timepiece it to me says, "yup, its (time) precious and where's my next patient?"
Randy
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 06:14 AM   #19
mcjp6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
who would sell a testicle for another Rolex,
steady on there Tony....a man has limits........
mcjp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 06:41 AM   #20
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
I would have to say that I neither "fit into their niche market" nor would I ever consider myself a "target market group" and definitely not an "image" for any Rolex ad I've ever seen.
Old 21 October 2009, 06:52 AM   #21
pbr.dk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 42mm
Do you fit into the Rolex "in" crowd??????

Definetely not, I would say !!

I worked as a private practitioning lawyer for the better part of 20 years without any great success - 2 years as a corporate lawyer in a real estate development and investment company that went bancrupt in the early days of the financial crisis - and now I work as a Military Legal Adviser to the Tactical Air Command, Denmark and in a little less than 4 months I will be in Helmand, Afghanistan for 6 months with the Danish Army.

I don´t have great fortune, drive a fancy car or live in an expensive house or appartement and I don´t have any extravagant hobbies or hang out with celebrities.

But I have lived an exiting life up until now in my own point of view at least (though not all of my experiences were pleasant) - and plan to keep on doing so !!

"When a guy takes off his coat, he's not going to fight. When a guy takes off his wristwatch, watch out!" - Basketball legend Al McGuire
pbr.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 06:53 AM   #22
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
NOPE. covered in tattoos...only 24...i DO drive a mercedes...but...im mainly just a goofball who lovbes fine timepieces! does it look like I fit in to rolex crowds?? think they'll use these on the website??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x51fz8.jpg (63.5 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg raz4pe.jpg (5.2 KB, 239 views)
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 07:04 AM   #23
Jaboe

Watch: SS Sub Date
I don't... but I guess that's why people assume mine is a fake. So what does the Rolex crowd look like? ........
Jaboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 07:10 AM   #24
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
the WIS who would sell a testicle for another Rolex,
You're too hardcore for me, Tony.

I'd say the ability to procreate would be a little bit higher on my list than the ability to tell the time

Just a little bit.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 07:13 AM   #25
Yume-sama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat. Masterpiece
Definitely not. I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy. Security follows me around when I go in a new Rolex AD...

Of course, that could be due to my age.
Yume-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 07:38 AM   #26
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
In the case of Rolex, it would appear that the images they project are an appeal for the portion of the middle class with disposible income to aspire to appear as something they are not.

Let's see:
  • I am not a tennis / golf star (don't play either)
  • I am not a famous diver / yachtsman (don't do either)
  • I am not a movie star (nor do I seek fame)
  • I am not a world leader (nor do I seek power)
  • I am not rich and/or beautiful (but not poor or bad looking)

I'm with Bait Man.
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 07:49 AM   #27
Nick1959
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD
Recently when I was in India and was having dinner at a freinds house and he was flaunting his new watch and I told him he could have had a nice rolex for the money he spend on tha no name no history watch. Another frind of mine responded snobbishly "these days even fish mongers have rolex". I shared this story just to tell that Rolex cannot be fit into one particular class. At least for most people the first rolex gives a sense of accomplishment. Then onwards it is a passiona nd then an addiction. I feel at time we should have Rolex Anonymous to help Rolex addicts
Nick1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 07:55 AM   #28
zseriessub

Not me at all. I'm just your typical 20-something bachelor with my average car and tiny unkempt apartment.
zseriessub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 08:03 AM   #29
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Once upon a time I did,

but that was to boring.
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2009, 08:06 AM   #30
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBat View Post
I'm with Bait Man.
I can hear the theme to "Married with Children" in my head...