The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 February 2020, 05:33 AM   #1
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Tritium Under Black Light

First, I'll take pictures when I get home. I just thought of this and wanted to post it.

I have a question about tritium and how it glows under black light. I have a 5513 that is supposed to be all original. Under black light, the markers and hands all look the same and with a loupe you can see the little flecks. However, the second hand glows a different color, it's kind of blue and not flat white like everything else. Under normal light the second hand looks like everything else. But the second hand does not glow. Does this mean that the second hand was re-lumed?

Again, I'll take pictures later but I was wondering if there is an obvious answer to this.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:37 AM   #2
Zhaodan920
"TRF" Member

Looking forward to seeing the photos. Based on your desc - it sounds like a luminova replacement second hand to me. To clarify are you saying the second hand glows blue under UV? Also - how long does it linger after the UV is gone?

Could be either luminova or tritium but if it's not behaving like the rest of the markers (which sounds correct to me) then very likely a replacement part.
Zhaodan920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 05:41 AM   #3
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaodan920 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the photos. Based on your desc - it sounds like a luminova replacement second hand to me. To clarify are you saying the second hand glows blue under UV? Also - how long does it linger after the UV is gone?

Could be either luminova or tritium but if it's not behaving like the rest of the markers (which sounds correct to me) then very likely a replacement part.
Obviously I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's not luminova. Under UV it looks like luminova but under normal light it looks just like the hands and markers and it doesn't glow at all after the UV. My first thought was that it was a re-lume to match the original tritium but I'm wondering why it glows blue under UV.
Old 20 February 2020, 05:51 AM   #4
Juhuatai
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508 & 9401
It's not luminova. It would glow under regular light if it was luminova. Photos will help.
Juhuatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 06:47 AM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
You want to see tritium that is uniform and even under a UV/blacklight. There can be slight variances, but nothing drastic, which could indicate it's not factory original.

If you have one hand that looks very different under UV, that could be a sign of color-matching (assuming that hand doesn't glow).

Here's my 5512 (3.7 million) and my 1665 DRSD (4.1 million) under black light. Note that the tritium is completely dead, with no glow, once the UV light is pulled away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sub 5512 UV Black Light-TRF.jpg (285.8 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg 1665 UV TRF.jpg (279.9 KB, 530 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 07:05 AM   #6
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
You want to see tritium that is uniform and even under a UV/blacklight. There can be slight variances, but nothing drastic, which could indicate it's not factory original.

If you have one hand that looks very different under UV, that could be a sign of color-matching (assuming that hand doesn't glow).

Here's my 5512 (3.7 million) and my 1665 DRSD (4.1 million) under black light. Note that the tritium is completely dead, with no glow, once the UV light is pulled away.

Thanks. I agree and I think it’s safe to say that it’s not original but I’m wondering why it glows blue. I’ll have pictures up later today and then you guys will probably figure out what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2020, 10:45 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The hand glowing "blue" has probably been relumed or repaired. Vintage tritium doesn't last forever and is very fragile. I would worry less about what it is - since it doesn't appear to be original post 1968 tritium - and enjoy the watch.

As a footnote, a wrote post 1968 tritium since bassed on my experience, the tritium found on the sport models before 1968 glowed green with sparkle effects under a blue light instead of white like that found on later tritium dials/hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170828_153333.sm.jpg (52.1 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 GMT. sm.jpg (116.2 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_153219sm.jpg (102.6 KB, 474 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 11:23 AM   #8
Costa Rakaro
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next
5513 of1967

IMG_20191228_183622.jpg
Costa Rakaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 12:42 PM   #9
42itus
"TRF" Member

Thanks John and everyone else for replying. Yeah, I love my watch and this doesn’t bother me one bit. I just thought I would learn more about it. It’s obvious that it isn’t original, just wondering why it’s blue. It looks green in these photos but it’s blue when I look through the loupe. Sorry for the poor photos, I need a proper light.

Old 20 February 2020, 01:41 PM   #10
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

Here’s my 1970 5513 under UV Light. Note uniform response under the light...

mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:12 PM   #11
1watch
"TRF" Member

I see what you mean. Looks to me like it was a color match relume at some point. If it bugs you, there are ways to get it relumed with tritium. I don’t think having the hands addressed is in the same category as reluming a dial, which I would not recommend.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2020, 03:34 PM   #12
42itus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
I see what you mean. Looks to me like it was a color match relume at some point. If it bugs you, there are ways to get it relumed with tritium. I don’t think having the hands addressed is in the same category as reluming a dial, which I would not recommend.

Thanks for your input. It doesn’t bother me.

So.... if a dial has been relumed will it possibly glow blue/green like my second hand? How do you identify a relume under black light?

Old 21 February 2020, 12:19 AM   #13
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
Thanks for your input. It doesn’t bother me.

So.... if a dial has been relumed will it possibly glow blue/green like my second hand? How do you identify a relume under black light?

Under a loupe the plots should all have a similar aged and texture/color appearance. I personally don’t have experience with reluming on my watches. From what I understand, you could see a different reaction if some plots were relumed once the UV is pulled away in that they would not all be instantly dead. However, some of the older models from the 60’s had tritium that glows briefly. On those models the plots should all fall off at the same rate. If they glow for some time like a modern luminous watch, then I would suspect it’s been relumed.

1watch is offline   Reply With Quote