The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2018, 11:32 PM   #151
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaoxing84 View Post
Just got these babies in within 2 days.

I love the 114270 dial text placement, like 1016.
But i like the size of 214270.

Wrist shot?
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 01:50 AM   #152
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilokito View Post
try them both on. took me a while but ended up picking up the 214270. just felt better, i have a 6.75" wrist.
I have a similar wrist and had a similar experience. While I did not have the opportunity to try on a 36mm Exp I did try on a 36mm OP at a dealer and it looked too small to me in comparison to the Explorer.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 01:54 AM   #153
lilokito
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
like em both, took me a while. but ended up getting the 39mm.
lilokito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #154
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
I have a very small wrist (just below 6 inches), and I a went for the 39 mm. Reasons being: lumed numerals, blue lume, better bracelet and clap, better movement, possibility to buy new.
I would prefer if it was a little smaller, but to be honest, it doesn't look out of place in person. Pictures really exaggerate the size of watches. This 39mm wears really thin, flat and light. No regrets, I really love it.
What do you guys think?
It does not look bad. You bought it for all the right reasons.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:46 AM   #155
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
For the 3mm size increase it would have been neat if Rolex had beefed up the WR to at least 200m. No real more bang for the buck other than 3mm.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 05:58 AM   #156
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
For the 3mm size increase it would have been neat if Rolex had beefed up the WR to at least 200m. No real more bang for the buck other than 3mm.
To be honest, as long as I can clean the watch under running water I am ok with any water resistance rating. Not being able to clean a watch properly is the only reason I personally prefer water resistant watches. I know a lot of people swim, go into the ocean and shower with their watches, but I really don't see a reason for that. If I am swimming, I don't want an expensive thing strapped to me that I can end up banging against something. And if I am at the beach, the less stuff I have on me the better. I don't even bring my phone. I still find it funny when I see people in the ocean wearing their phones like a necklace in those little plastic waterproof bags/cases. I can't help but think to myself "how more dependent of your phone can you really get? Do you really need it here? Are you gonna twit between waves?"
Anyway, I know this is all personal and a lot of people will disagree, but that's what I think. Actually I would take a thinner watch with less water resistance (as long as it's" washable") over a thicker more water resistant watch any day.
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 07:52 PM   #157
ChipWong
"TRF" Member

36mm on leather and 39mm on bracelet...
ChipWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 01:39 AM   #158
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
As far as I know it has non luminous white paint outlined in white gold.
I wonder if on the Tritium dial-models whether that non-luminous white paint in the numbers patinas to the same color as the Tritium markers?
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2018, 01:47 AM   #159
Fraz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I wonder if on the Tritium dial-models whether that non-luminous white paint in the numbers patinas to the same color as the Tritium markers?
The white paint doesn't patina as far as I know. You almost certainly will end up with a dial with two different coloured markers (which could end up being kinda cool).
Fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2019, 02:45 PM   #160
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

I find it unfortunate that the Introduction of the 114270 did not include similar upgrades that the 116200 Series Datejust got in 2005 (D-series), namely, the beefier lugs, the improved bracelet and clasp. Of course, minus the polished lugs and centerlinks...
That would have been the perfect combination!
Old 26 February 2019, 06:54 PM   #161
gordonite
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
While the newer bracelets/clasps are unquestionably built better, outside of some controversial spot welding, things get tricky when you start taking comfort into account. I find the older, lighter weight bracelets (and watches) to be more comfortable.

I agree on this one, been wearing my 114270 for 3 months after selling my omega seamaster midsize automatic. More versatile and classic, the quirky older bracelets fits comfortably. Plus it’s like time machine from the past since I love all things vintage yet could not weigh in buying too old rolex watches. I intend to wear the watch to its full potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gordonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 01:35 PM   #162
mrg60202
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
I find it unfortunate that the Introduction of the 114270 did not include similar upgrades that the 116200 Series Datejust got in 2005 (D-series), namely, the beefier lugs, the improved bracelet and clasp. Of course, minus the polished lugs and centerlinks...
That would have been the perfect combination!
The new 36mm 116000 Oyster Perpetual is certainly a somewhat "beefier" watch than the 14270 or 114270. If Rolex introduced a new 36mm Explorer I with these slightly larger proportions I think it would be a slam dunk.
mrg60202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 12:47 PM   #163
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

It seems to me that Rolex wanted to fully bring the Explorer into the Sports model class by increasing its size similar to the Sub, GMT, YM etc. and also similar to those, it moved the model name “EXPLORER” to the 6 o’clock side of the dial.
(I find it curious then that Rolex didn’t do this with the Explorer II)
Old 15 April 2019, 02:53 PM   #164
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I like the size of the 39mm. Great size for most wrists IMO
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 05:51 AM   #165
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Can anyone verify or deny whether the 14270 model has the notch on the case back allowing it to be fitted with the 114270’s SEL 78690 bracelet?