The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2019, 12:47 AM   #1
Sayyestorhis
"TRF" Member

Question on availability of 40MM Yacht Master Rhodium dial

First post here guys. I have been finally ready after 6 plus years to pull the trigger on my first Rolex.

The problem is after calling all the ADs in my area as well as surrounding states no one has availability on the Yacht Master I have been pateintally waiting for. The problem I've heard from most is that in Sept Rolex is releasing a new model that will be identical, but with a new movement. My issue is I didnt want to wait until Sept to get my hands on this item.

Has anyone heard similar and or does anyone have knowledge of this model being available in ADs? I know I could go grey but for my FIRST Rolex I'd love to have the Full AD experience.

Thanks in advance.
Sayyestorhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:50 AM   #2
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Honestly it depends on the AD. I can say that I have seen them in display cases around the US at some of the smaller ADs. I’d say if you have time, take a road trip to some of your local ADs and ask. If not, I know DavidSW has one brand new with stickers around MSRP.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:53 AM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayyestorhis View Post
First post here guys. I have been finally ready after 6 plus years to pull the trigger on my first Rolex.

The problem is after calling all the ADs in my area as well as surrounding states no one has availability on the Yacht Master I have been pateintally waiting for. The problem I've heard from most is that in Sept Rolex is releasing a new model that will be identical, but with a new movement. My issue is I didnt want to wait until Sept to get my hands on this item.

Has anyone heard similar and or does anyone have knowledge of this model being available in ADs? I know I could go grey but for my FIRST Rolex I'd love to have the Full AD experience.

Thanks in advance.
Imo go gray.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=665093

Save you at least 800 and months of waiting.....

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:57 AM   #4
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
My AD offered me one the other day and I passed on it. Mildly regret it but I for a Rolesor sub. (Already have 2 subs so a yachtmaster would have added diversity)

Be patient you will find one . Buy from an AD with all due respect to the trusted sellers.

The feeling from an AD is more memorable especially for a first piece. Wait wait wait IMO. When you find it or get the call you'll be ecstatic.
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:08 AM   #5
WatchBro
Banned

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Friend, the new movement is going to significantly increase the power reserve.

Look at the difference in the new YM42 on their page. I think it’s going from 48 to 70 hours.

YM is like the Ex2 line. It has its devotees but they don’t hold their value as well as Subs/GMTs.

I’d hold tight. It may save you $1,000 to $3,000 on resale.
WatchBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 01:45 AM   #6
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Go to a trusted seller. You could have what you want by Tuesday and save some money.

IMHO the power reserve argument is hype. There are tens of millions of 48 hour reserve watches out there that are doing just fine. Since this is your first Rolex, you will probably wear it all the time, so power reserve is a non issue.
Old 22 April 2019, 03:36 AM   #7
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
I saw one in a case, played with it a bit, at the non-chain AD in Bellevue a few days ago. Gorgeous watch, but as my DJ41 has a dark Rhodium dial, I didn't pull the trigger.
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 08:33 AM   #8
Playinwittime
"TRF" Member

Watch: out! I'm coming.
I have both the YM and OP with dark rhodium dials. They have overlapping, but largely different uses, e.g, YM for upscale sport and business attire and OP for elegant/dress business or dress attire. I recommend either or both highly.

You probably know from this forum that Rolex SS sport models are hard to come by, generally. I have seen my AD with a 37mm YM rhodium, but no 40mm versions, since I grabbed mine. Precious metal Daytonas, smaller OPs and DJs and even an occasional Smurf Sub has been seen (theme here is not SS 39mm+ sport models). The SS models that come in are held in the back, shown to better customers and then fly out the door. Depending on the AD, your mileage may vary.
Playinwittime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:33 AM   #9
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
I’ve seen them off and on at ad here in nyc
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:34 AM   #10
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
It's funny how geography affects these things.
The AD around the corner from my work in downtown Toronto, has had this model and the 37mm version sitting in the display case every time I pop by. I pop in about once a week to see what they have and I also grab a handful of Hershey's kisses from their counter top!! Yet in your area nothing.
I think if you are a little patient you'll find your watch.
Nicolas
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:38 AM   #11
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
IMHO the power reserve argument is hype. There are tens of millions of 48 hour reserve watches out there that are doing just fine. Since this is your first Rolex, you will probably wear it all the time, so power reserve is a non issue.
I 100% agree. If this is your first Rolex watch you should totally be wearing it all the time (I wore my first Rolex almost every day for about 2 years)

the power reserve isn't an issue, when you add more Rolex watches to your arsenal then you should start worrying about that

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:11 AM   #12
Sayyestorhis
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for great advice and opinions. I will continue to look, but expand my search over a couple other states.

When speaking to ADs does it benefit my cause to put a hefty deposit down from your all experience?
Old 22 April 2019, 10:39 AM   #13
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

I would definitely go the AD route. My AD offered me the watch with about 12% discount about a year back.

He always has them in stock, so I would just keep asking around!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:44 AM   #14
Motomatt52
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 DSSD
Govberg in philly had it in the case on Friday afternoon
Motomatt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Sayyestorhis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomatt52 View Post
Govberg in philly had it in the case on Friday afternoon

Thanks. Do u know if it was the 40mm case? I am going to call tomorow!
Old 22 April 2019, 11:43 AM   #16
Motomatt52
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126660 DSSD
Quote:
Thanks. Do u know if it was the 40mm case? I am going to call tomorow!
Not sure. Only SS piece they had
Motomatt52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:13 PM   #17
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
In the last couple of months every AD I have set foot in has had either a rhodium or blue dial Yachtmaster 40, or both in the case. Perhaps the most available of SS sports.
It probably will get the new movement someday but doubtful it would be a midyear change.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:43 PM   #18
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
In the last couple of months every AD I have set foot in has had either a rhodium or blue dial Yachtmaster 40, or both in the case. Perhaps the most available of SS sports.
It probably will get the new movement someday but doubtful it would be a midyear change.

Movement change already confirmed on Rolex website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:53 PM   #19
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Movement change already confirmed on Rolex website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Interesting, seeing as they usually make a big deal out of changing movements. I did not look closely enough to see if the ones I’ve noticed lately had the crown at 6.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:59 PM   #20
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
Interesting, seeing as they usually make a big deal out of changing movements. I did not look closely enough to see if the ones I’ve noticed lately had the crown at 6.
It was done with relatively little fanfare this Basel. They have new reference numbers and the RG YM on Oysterflex got a Glidelock in addition to the new movement which is a big upgrade.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote