The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 April 2018, 04:43 AM   #61
fastman73
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I own a Daytona and I love it, but I am still looking at GMT BLNR and the YM 116622.

However, I will say I think when you own one you do question whether you need another SS sports model, as I am also contemplating a TT in RG.
fastman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 04:56 AM   #62
300blackout
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
To many Daytona seems to be important. I think it is beautifully made, but not that practical or useful. I prefer GMT models.
I agree with you.
300blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 07:45 AM   #63
dannyp
Banned

I'd argue just the opposite, that it is in some ways one of the most boring because it has never been the source of true innovation in watchmaking. Other SS sport models, such as the Sub, SD, GMT/Exp. II included groundbreaking feats in watchmaking, such as water tightness, gas release and multiple timezone display. Functionally speaking, the Daytona is just another chronograph, albeit one that benefits from other Rolex innovations.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 08:09 AM   #64
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Yes.

Modern movement of the Daytona was ahead of the curve , though the new movements found in gmt, sky dwellerand day date have meaningful improvements.
Old 12 April 2018, 08:41 AM   #65
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Yes.

Modern movement of the Daytona was ahead of the curve , though the new movements found in gmt, sky dwellerand day date have meaningful improvements.
I was speaking more of the original functional innovations of the watches, those which allowed them to dive to unprecedented depths, or things like the jumping hour hand. Simple, yet elegant solutions to previously under-addressed problems.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 08:52 AM   #66
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Yes. To me it is.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:14 AM   #67
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
From reading the responses opinions vary on this. It does seem a bit polarizing either you like it or you don't but most cannot argue it does have a certain mystique. Since I got my 116500 White dial i have kind of wondered where to go next with watches. Pinnacle? Maybe or maybe not but it has greatly curbed my own watch desires.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:25 AM   #68
liuk3
"TRF" Member

I'm trying to decide whether I want it cause I love it or only because I haven't been able to get one since it came out. It's weird because I have pretty much zero need for the chrono complication, and as I am getting older I find my eyesight getting worse from a far-sighted perspective which I've heard makes this watch harder to read. I do like the racing heritage homage of the watch though, and I am looking to add more white dials to my largely black dial collection. We shall see if it is in my future.
Old 12 April 2018, 09:28 AM   #69
Cato
Banned

Watch: 116610LN
Well if popularity is any metric, then yes the Daytona C is the best.

In my eyes it’s the Submariner Date or ND as the most legendary SS Sports Rolex.
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:40 AM   #70
JohnnyRol
"TRF" Member

I guess it comes down to how you define pinnacle. I'd give that title to the submariner. I think back to when I was a kid. I didn't know much about anything let alone watches. But I'll never forget the cyclops on my uncles sub and I didn't even know what it was at the time. Funny how images stick with you.
JohnnyRol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 09:49 AM   #71
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Yes
NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 10:52 AM   #72
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I was speaking more of the original functional innovations of the watches, those which allowed them to dive to unprecedented depths, or things like the jumping hour hand. Simple, yet elegant solutions to previously under-addressed problems.
I see.

The brand has made a mark with so many of their pieces and the longevity of the models has solidified their impact on the different areas of functionality like few other manufacturers.

Others try and come close but all things considered just can't unseat the crown. The
Old 12 April 2018, 10:56 AM   #73
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I own one but it's not my favorite watch. So I'd say no. Beside which what has the Daytona got to do with cards?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:24 PM   #74
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Good arguments.

i would argue there are different price points within the Rolex lineup. OP DJ SkyD DD on one side and on the other AK EXP/EXP II, Sub/GMT SD DSSD YM Daytona

Think of the watches Rolex offers in Platinum, I believe only two (other than masterpiece pearlmaster and celini) and Daytona is one of them.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:37 PM   #75
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think that it is a matter of personal preference. I like the Daytona and have owned it in YG, RG, TT and SS. The hype surrounding the watch is just that. But it does not change the fact that it is the most sought after regular production SS Rolex now. I would love to see a Daytona II in 42 mm with the same style and design and an upgraded movement. That might be a yet to be released grail. For now, the SD43 checks all the boxes for me and has the appropriate size. To each their watch.
Yea, let the frenzy begin....I personally prefer the 116520 or the 16520, and if they released one in that vein at 42mm - I'd riot in the darn streets.

@brandrea - and I agree, if the Sub had a limited production, I think it would easily be the most sought after, for me, Rolex is the Submariner, it is the brands icon IMO....
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 01:46 PM   #76
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I had a 116520 and sold it - I miss the fact that its worth a lot more now then when I sold it rather then the watch itself.
Agreed...Me too!! ive had 2 and in all honesty they do nothing for me... far too small on my wrist and with a white dial too hard to read in some light....

I respect them for what they are but as far as being the pinnacle... NO

Only a couple of years ago they were constantly called a womens watch due to the size....
Go back 10+ years ago and dealers couldnt move them with a massive discount and pawn shops only wanted subs,DJ & DD's

Only in the last 2+ years with all the hype and lack of supply has driven the "want" for them through the roof....

Pinnacle.. no

besides a grail is something of a personal taste not defined by what someone tells you should be.... and its shouldnt come down to $$$ what is your grail.... it should be what you like personally
Many guys grails are reasonably priced watches and not because they cant afford more expensive ones its just their personal choice
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Canook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 03:26 PM   #77
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think that it is a matter of personal preference. I like the Daytona and have owned it in YG, RG, TT and SS. The hype surrounding the watch is just that. But it does not change the fact that it is the most sought after regular production SS Rolex now. I would love to see a Daytona II in 42 mm with the same style and design and an upgraded movement. That might be a yet to be released grail. For now, the SD43 checks all the boxes for me and has the appropriate size. To each their watch.
Daytona is too small at present, beleive it or not I am waiting for the larger version. But given how popular the current model is I doubt one will be released soon
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2018, 03:37 PM   #78
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
One of the best chronographs out there, any brand, anywhere. IMO. The movement is spectacular.

That said, if you're not much of a chrono guy, that doesn't exactly make it the pinnacle.

The fact that it's selling at an $8k premium makes it something, though.

That premium really is something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 April 2018, 03:44 PM   #79
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Is the Daytona really the pinnacle of Rolex SS professional sports models?

Pinnacle? No. I have considered one but do not own one. Have a nice stable of SS sports Rolex but I don’t see a SS Daytona in my future. History, legacy, longevity of other References supersedes Daytona. My grail are GMT II References. More useful for my purposes, less busy dial, etc. if I bought a Daytona it would be a platona just because of the overall colors and it’s a PM. I think I’d enjoy that more than a SS Daytona.

Old 13 April 2018, 02:15 AM   #80
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
Yes
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 02:21 AM   #81
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Absolutely. Anyone who doesn’t think it’s the pinnacle of Rolex’s sports line is just fooling themselves. It is probably the most iconic and important Swiss chronograph in history regardless of those made by Patek and artisanal watchmakers. Even those who normally wouldn’t buy Rolex, appreciate the Daytona. I would say that along with the Day-Date it’s Rolex’s most important watch.
Old 13 April 2018, 02:37 AM   #82
MrWeha
"TRF" Member

100% yes
MrWeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 02:44 AM   #83
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Absolutely. Anyone who doesn’t think it’s the pinnacle of Rolex’s sports line is just fooling themselves. It is probably the most iconic and important Swiss chronograph in history regardless of those made by Patek and artisanal watchmakers. Even those who normally wouldn’t buy Rolex, appreciate the Daytona. I would say that along with the Day-Date it’s Rolex’s most important watch.
In Geneva this week. Visited a few of the high end watch stores wearing my Daytona. It simply staggered the salespeople - they were just awed to see one in nature.

Had a private tour of Vacheron yesterday - which was absolutely awesome btw. Even the guys there loved the Daytona, although they had some really, really nice watches on their wrists too...

I don't know of another Rolex model that would have the same effect.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 02:45 AM   #84
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
maybe pinnacle isn't the right word, maybe just the coolest!

HAHA in reality to everyone has different taste and uses and to each his own

Anyone got a faster Daytona ? Is a cool picture :-)
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 02:46 AM   #85
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
to me no. i dont use a chrono so it doesnt make sense to own one. i know many who own one dont but i prefer watches with functions i use. even if someone offered me one at msrp i would not buy it.

to me it is the submariner. right now the pinnacle is the 116618lb. if a platinum were ever released that would be the pinnacle for me.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 02:48 AM   #86
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
In Geneva this week. Visited a few of the high end watch stores wearing my Daytona. It simply staggered the salespeople - they were just awed to see one in nature.

Had a private tour of Vacheron yesterday - which was absolutely awesome btw. Even the guys there loved the Daytona, although they had some really, really nice watches on their wrists too...

i suspect a lot of that has to be how hard it is to get. I get the same thing with my 5711 and its not the best patek by a long shot. Not a knock on the watch though. For me the OF WG daytona is the pinnacle of the line, but they make enough variations for all tastes
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 03:00 AM   #87
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post

Yep. This is exactly what I was talking about. It’s an extremely iconic watch. I actually drove by the Vacheron HQ last year on the A1 while en route to the Provence from Germany. I immediately got euphoric lol. The scenery is truly spectacular and the roads are some of the fun to drive on.
Old 13 April 2018, 03:12 AM   #88
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
I've owned a SS Daytona and currently own a WG Daytona and never felt they were the pinnacle of anything, and don't think I'd be fooling myself about my own watches.

And certainly not "the most iconic or important Swiss chrono in history". That title belongs to the Speedy Pro, obviously. In the face of actual watch history and events, Daytona-jewelry as a fashion statement pales in comparison. In historical importance I'd also rank it lower than Zenith's El Primero.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2018, 05:59 AM   #89
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I've owned a SS Daytona and currently own a WG Daytona and never felt they were the pinnacle of anything, and don't think I'd be fooling myself about my own watches.

And certainly not "the most iconic or important Swiss chrono in history". That title belongs to the Speedy Pro, obviously. In the face of actual watch history and events, Daytona-jewelry as a fashion statement pales in comparison. In historical importance I'd also rank it lower than Zenith's El Primero.
This is your opinion but I beg to differ. Do you consider the Submariner or GMT more important? The fact is the Paul Newman Daytona sold for $17.8m with the buyer’s premium. Even though the Speedy went to the moon and the El Primero is a superb watch, they just don’t have the Rolex aura and never will. People can say it’s the marketing, the crown, the celebrities, a combination or just pure luck but this is just the reality. None of them look as good a 6239 or 6241 exotic dial either.
Old 13 April 2018, 06:04 AM   #90
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

I owned a 116520 white and while I did like it I ended up selling it. I wonder now if I only wanted to own it was because it was a Daytona aka the pinnacle Rolex sports model.

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote