The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 September 2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Phoneix8
"TRF" Member

Patek 5205G Strap

Anybody know what options there may be for the 5205G? I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on this watch but not crazy about the black alligator strap. Does Patek sell other straps for this watch?
Phoneix8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 02:54 PM   #2
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
Yes, they do. You can ask your AD to order you one. I believe the lug width is 20mm for the 5205, so it’s pretty standard you should be able to use many other straps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 12:03 AM   #3
Phoneix8
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Old 28 September 2020, 01:09 AM   #4
Will_L
"TRF" Member

Otherwise take a look at the straps from Camille Fournet. Very nice, good prices if you compare them to Patek straps and they are rumored to be the supplier to Patek (not sure of course)
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 01:47 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Many other choices out there, which change the personality of the watch completely.

CF straps are great, as mentioned above, but don't disregard patek's own catalog before taking a look, you'd be surprised at the variety.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:00 AM   #6
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Many other choices out there, which change the personality of the watch completely.

CF straps are great, as mentioned above, but don't disregard patek's own catalog before taking a look, you'd be surprised at the variety.
I’m sorry but the variety sucks. For countries where special permits are needed for alligator leather imports (or where it’s just plain prohibited) there’s like, 4 options for calf leather and satin, and that’s it. 80%+ of the strap catalogue consists of alligator variants.
IBDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:53 AM   #7
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDOC View Post
I’m sorry but the variety sucks. For countries where special permits are needed for alligator leather imports (or where it’s just plain prohibited) there’s like, 4 options for calf leather and satin, and that’s it. 80%+ of the strap catalogue consists of alligator variants.
Well, that's a bit like saying if you discard Patek's dress watches, their line's variety sucks. Dressy pieces are the brand's bread and butter, so it's natural that the majority of strap options would be croc/gator. It's unfortuate that some countries restrict strap options, but that's really not Patek's fault.
Old 28 September 2020, 03:23 AM   #8
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
well, that's a bit like saying if you discard patek's dress watches, their line's variety sucks. Dressy pieces are the brand's bread and butter, so it's natural that the majority of strap options would be croc/gator. It's unfortuate that some countries restrict strap options, but that's really not patek's fault.
+1
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 06:34 AM   #9
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, that's a bit like saying if you discard Patek's dress watches, their line's variety sucks. Dressy pieces are the brand's bread and butter, so it's natural that the majority of strap options would be croc/gator. It's unfortuate that some countries restrict strap options, but that's really not Patek's fault.
Ok, so let’s include the gator variants. Then you get a choice of color, square/round scale and shiny/matt finish. You call that good variety? Where’s the different Calf leather finishes? Different lining options? Different stitching options? Ostrich/Hornback? Choice of hole size? Strap side coloring? Thickness?

And to be fair, several of Pateks largest markets restrict Gator imports so yeah, it is sort of their problem. Just happens to be that many poor saps who buy PP in say, California don’t even know that they’ll soon be getting subpar faux-gator pattern straps with their purchase of PP at ADs.
Old 28 September 2020, 06:38 AM   #10
KBM

Quote:
Where’s the different Calf leather finishes? Different lining options? Different stitching options? Ostritch/Hornback? Choice of hole size? Strap side coloring? Thickness?
Which watch brand are you thinking of that offers those 7 customization categories for straps? Aside from Panerai, to which the strap collecting plays a huge role, I can't think of a single brand that offers that level of variety/customization. Perhaps your expectations are less than realistic.
Old 28 September 2020, 06:44 AM   #11
IBDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which watch brand are you thinking of that offers those 7 customization categories for straps? Aside from Panerai, to which the strap collecting plays a huge role, I can't think of a single brand that offers that level of variety/customization. Perhaps your expectations are less than realistic.
I’m not comparing to other brands, I’m comparing to CF and other third party purveyors? No watch manufacturers can match vendors like CF and ABP for strap selection, was my point.

But just for the sake of it, I have ordered custom straps from Lange and got a much more extensive choice of materials and finishes than from the current Patek strap catalogue. Despite the fact that Lange is supposed to be a one-trick pony with nothing but one kind of dress watch with the same dark gator strap for all of them.
Old 28 September 2020, 07:01 AM   #12
Phoneix8
"TRF" Member

Is there a way for me to view the Patek strap options somewhere online?
Old 28 September 2020, 10:45 AM   #13
Phoneix8
"TRF" Member

Where can I find a list of the Patek Straps they sell for this watch?
Old 28 September 2020, 11:45 AM   #14
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
you have to go to AD to see the catalogue. unless your watch is aquanaut or nautilus, the straps can be customized to your watch in terms of size and width
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 09:04 PM   #15
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
ABP let’s you do significant customization. I ordered one and am expecting it soon, from what I heard the quality is excellent
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 03:09 AM   #16
kimsun
"TRF" Member

Yes, go to the AD or the Patek Service Center in your country! I changed mine one day after I bought it! Yes agreed that the black gator strap is a little boring! Here’s a pic of it on a blue strap!

kimsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 07:48 AM   #17
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsun View Post
Yes, go to the AD or the Patek Service Center in your country! I changed mine one day after I bought it! Yes agreed that the black gator strap is a little boring! Here’s a pic of it on a blue strap!

So beautiful I’m very envious. Looking at the 5205r black dial.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2020, 08:42 AM   #18
Graden
"TRF" Member

So nice :)
Graden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2020, 11:21 PM   #19
Steed
"TRF" Member

Patek 5205G Strap

I decided on an OEM matte black alligator strap with deployment clasp and have a matte dark blue one on order.

Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 03:51 AM   #20
mrarchiegoodwin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GShock Frogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexfanforlife View Post
ABP let’s you do significant customization. I ordered one and am expecting it soon, from what I heard the quality is excellent
Merci beaucoup! ABP. I just looked up the website. Ah, Paris. I can order a waterproof band for my Patek pilot that the AD was unable to find in its catalog and that of Camille Fournet. Did you order one for your 5524?

I agree with a previous post of yours that it's fine to have a $20 watch band if it functions well--especially given its waterproof characteristics. But there may be concern over durability versus "safety" of your watch.

Over 20 years ago, I posted on TZ a picture of everyday my watch with a $19 plastic watch band in orange (that I thought worked really well with the dark blue dial). Folks in IWC Forum cautioned against it due to the weight of the watch head versus reliability of the band. One concerned enthusiast owned the same blue dial and mailed me two different color crocogator bands that he had tried on his watch. Such generosity.

Thanks, again.
mrarchiegoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2020, 10:23 PM   #21
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m not comparing to other brands, I’m comparing to CF and other third party purveyors? No watch manufacturers can match vendors like CF and ABP for strap selection, was my point.

But just for the sake of it, I have ordered custom straps from Lange and got a much more extensive choice of materials and finishes than from the current Patek strap catalogue. Despite the fact that Lange is supposed to be a one-trick pony with nothing but one kind of dress watch with the same dark gator strap for all of them.
At least in this country Jean Rousseau is making those custom straps for Lange.

And I don’t understand this fuss about Patek or whatever brand not offering a large variety of strap choices. There are countless strap makers out there, several mentioned here, all of which will be cheaper than ordering via the brand itself.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 06:37 AM   #22
Roy7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, 16570
Any recent updates to this thread?
Roy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2024, 07:57 AM   #23
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_L View Post
Otherwise take a look at the straps from Camille Fournet. Very nice, good prices if you compare them to Patek straps and they are rumored to be the supplier to Patek (not sure of course)
Yes, they are one of the suppliers to Patek. There are a few other strap makers also.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote