The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Closed Thread

Old 18 August 2007, 03:25 AM   #1
XELOR

My Post#1- And It's Bad News

UPDATE: 22 SEPT 07-------------A Full Refund Was Provided.

Hi Everyone:

Well I finally have something to post about...

The AD only crowd seems like a very smart group right about now.

I got scammed on a fake Rolex that was so real looking that Rolex USA, NYC technicians may have even missed it at first.

It started with an ebay Rolex seller with FANTASTIC FEEDBACK FOR SELLING NOTHING BUT ROLEX.

I sent a cashiers check and a non-Rolex in trade to the seller for a total value of around $2700 (a little high but I got to trade in a watch I didn't want anymore).

The watch I purchased was a 9 Million, TT DJ, MOD 16013 in too perfect condition (a clue I missed).

When the watch arrived I shipped it to ROLEX USA and they provided an estimate for routine service of around $500.

Rolex USA called back the next day after the original estimate to say basically only the movement is real.

When Rolex further checked the Head, Bracelet Etc.... fake.

So it's been five hours now (not days- there's still hope) and the seller hasn't returned my call.

As soon as the Rolex documentation arrives (indicating what they discovered) I will plaster the sellers name all over the place unless he agrees to an immediate refund.

This one hurts...try not to rub it in!

Last edited by XELOR; 23 September 2007 at 01:51 AM..
Old 18 August 2007, 03:37 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome to TRF, but it's a rough way to start your visit here.

Sorry you've had that experience. I guess the main word of advice in retrospect is never use anything but plastic to buy over the net unless you really know the seller and are comfortable with him/her.

Hope everything turns out well in the long run. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 18 August 2007, 03:43 AM   #3
USMCsilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anniv. GMT II
Would you mind cuting and pasting to the link of the watch that was won? Sounds like we need to be informed since many of us browse eBay.

Welcome, and I'm sorry to hear about your apparent loss. I about got scammed, but the great guys here helped me out and I managed not to lose three grand.

Guess there is always the chance that the seller got the watch on trade, or whatever, and assumed it was real due to the movement being real. However, if he won't return calls, that says a lot right there.

Again, sorry to hear about your loss, but at least now you're in good company and can possibly avoid fakes in the future!
Old 18 August 2007, 03:43 AM   #4
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

If he is a genuine trader he will no doubt take the loss on the chin, refunding your cash and returning your watch. If not, post his Ebay username and plenty here will contact him to ask him to do the stand up thing.

A message to all the lurkers though. Get your advice questions posted in BEFORE you buy the watch. It will not guarantee you a safe purchase but you will get plenty of good advice (along with a tiny amount of useless advice).
Old 18 August 2007, 03:52 AM   #5
Blue Bull
Banned

I hope this works out well for you ,in the end.

At least you have now arrived at the right place,amongst true enthusiasts,where combined knowledge on Rolex,is to say the least ... scary !!

Look at the bright side of things ... after your first post,things can only get better.
Old 18 August 2007, 04:38 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Welcome to TRF. Sorry to hear about what happened....but then I've always been anti-ebay.

If you don't know the seller, NEVER do the deal....as simple as that!!

Hope you move on to better things and finally get a genuine Rolex.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 18 August 2007, 05:00 AM   #7
XELOR

Prior to my first post on TRF I spent a few months just reading the posts. I learned both about Rolex and the decent nature of so many of the people here on TRF.

I'd want to know who this ebay seller is too...

I'm going to wait to see if he decides to do what is right first.

I will be very assertive once the documentation from Rolex USA arrives.

If (Big If) logic means anything, $2700 would seem well worth refunding vs poor word of mouth, legal issues etc...

I promise his feedback on ebay is disarmingly fantastic and the watches look great.

My guess is so many buyers never verify authenticity so the positive feedback ends up having little meaning.

Last edited by XELOR; 18 August 2007 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 18 August 2007, 05:16 AM   #8
XELOR

BTW JJ...

To clarify, I purchased one previous Rolex (completely unrelated to my original post about the fake) and had it appraised at Rolex USA in NY.

The Genuine Rolex Was Sold By: OldWorldJewelers/EWatchshow.

They advertise on TZ...nice people. The opposite of what I'm dealing with now.

Last edited by XELOR; 26 August 2007 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: TZ not TRF
Old 18 August 2007, 05:32 AM   #9
divmat

And that is who ????????
Old 18 August 2007, 05:46 AM   #10
XELOR

I'm waiting to see if and how the person/business responds so I can put the name out in a proper context.

Obviously, if they provide an immediate refund I'm going to report back to TRF one way and if they don't...

I'm also waiting for the paperwork from Rolex USA, who only just called me today (8/17/07) about the fake.

Ughhhh!!!
Old 18 August 2007, 06:50 AM   #11
Obsession
Banned

Watch: Tissot Seastar
I would do same mistake to buy a TT Blue Sub from Ebay with 3000-3500 USD but, I couldnt attempt to spend my money to a fake watch or no watch , I couldnt risk but EBAY is nice if you buy new ROLEX from known Titanium-Power Sellers there with highest feedbacks and everything, but in this case price is nearly AD price but still less.
Old 18 August 2007, 07:06 AM   #12
XELOR

Update:

Seller contacted me and indicated that it wouldn't make sense for him to put a genuine movement (3035) in a fake 16013 body.

(Rolex indicated the movement was genuine but basically all else fake...band, case etc...fake).

Seller indicated I'd have to send him the 16013 back first and then he would return the trade in watch I applied as partial payment along with the amount of the cashiers check I sent him.

Problem is that Rolex still has the fake. I think they said they were sending it back, however.

How should I proceed?

Suggestions appreciated.
Old 18 August 2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Rockrolex

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XELOR View Post
Update:

Seller contacted me and indicated that it wouldn't make sense for him to put a genuine movement (3035) in a fake 16013 body.

(Rolex indicated the movement was genuine but basically all else fake...band, case etc...fake).

Seller indicated I'd have to send him the 16013 back first and then he would return the trade in watch I applied as partial payment along with the amount of the cashiers check I sent him.

Problem is that Rolex still has the fake. I think they said they were sending it back, however.

How should I proceed?

Suggestions appreciated.
Tell the seller that RUSA has the watch and is returning it to you. As soon as you receive it you will return it to the seller. Hopefully that will toll whatever time limit he might want to put on you.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Old 18 August 2007, 07:45 AM   #14
Interested Bystander

Watch: Rolex Oysterdate
Hey Exlor, even if all turns out well, I'd like to know who it is.

A lot of those Blingy looking Rolex on ebay look suspect.

Sorry to hear about this happening.
Old 18 August 2007, 08:36 AM   #15
Floridadogg

Watch: 116520 & 116523
Quote:
Update:

How should I proceed?

Suggestions appreciated.
A crook will say anything to save his sting that he executed upon you. It makes perfect sense for a crook to put a Rolex movement in a fake case if he can get someone to bite like you did. I'll bet somewhere there is a genuine case with a fake movement in it............this completes the "double dip". If the crook will refund to you, pursue this line of action. If not, all you can do is report him to fleabay, or sue him civally in his location.
Old 18 August 2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Downing
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD ExpII GO Nav ND
Quote:

How should I proceed?

Suggestions appreciated.
So if I understand this correctly, if you do this then the seller will have both watches and all of your money?

I guess you don't have much choice but jeez, this is why I wouldn't buy anything of value on eBay.

I suppose it's too late now but is there available an escrow-type arrangement for eBay? In other words, a third party, holding both the payment and the watch, who would then verify the watch's authenticity before completing the transaction. I'm sure it would add to the cost of the watch but it seems to me it would be well worth it.

Good luck.

Rolex Explorer II White
Rolex Sea-Dweller
Glashütte Original Navigator
Panerai 183 G Black Seal
Old 18 August 2007, 09:15 AM   #17
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I would be amazed if Rolex USA returns any fake parts that they have in their possession. I would assume the movement might be returned, but a case, crown, dial, etc. that purports to be Rolex and is not, I will be suprised. Sorry for your misery, I hope things work out.
Old 18 August 2007, 09:17 AM   #18
Tools

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to TRF

Sorry to hear about your experience...hope all turns out well..
Old 18 August 2007, 09:27 AM   #19
XELOR

Of course I'll update everybody at TRF...

Last edited by XELOR; 12 September 2007 at 04:13 AM..
Old 18 August 2007, 09:42 AM   #20
XELOR

I'm curious if I get the watch back too.

The seller still has to figure out how to sell the remaining $50,000-$100,000 Rolex watches listed on Ebay. Not counting his non-ebay web site!

He has $15,000 watches listed and I suspect they get tricky to sell if word gets out that he refused a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I would be amazed if Rolex USA returns any fake parts that they have in their possession. I would assume the movement might be returned, but a case, crown, dial, etc. that purports to be Rolex and is not, I will be suprised. Sorry for your misery, I hope things work out.
Old 18 August 2007, 03:38 PM   #21
alglez
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT blue sub
that sucks man I hope things work out for you
Old 18 August 2007, 03:53 PM   #22
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

keep us posted.....

Keep us posted.... My worst fears about ebay coming true...

-Sheldon
Old 18 August 2007, 04:11 PM   #23
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Sorry to hear about your experience, Xelor.

Have you tried contacting eBay about this? The item obviously violates their rules - my understanding is that it was advertised as a 100% genuine Rolex, and you now have proof from Rolex that it's not the case, so you've got this seller dead to rights. IIRC, ebay offers up to $3000 protection for your purchases, so they may be able to help you out.
Old 18 August 2007, 04:36 PM   #24
jasonbellevue
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, a similar thing happened to a friend of mine, but fortunately for her, she paid for her purchase using PayPal/Credit Card, and the whole purchase price was reimbursed by the issuing Visa credit card company. Later on, she received an update that the fraudulent seller got the fake Rolex back and was forced to refund the entire amount. I hope you will get a favorable outcome to your predicament.
Old 18 August 2007, 05:07 PM   #25
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
I got ripped off real bad once online and called the Sheriff in the seller's town. Guess what, I was not the only one! Charges were brought.

For that amount of money I'd get on the next airplane out there.
Old 18 August 2007, 05:19 PM   #26
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
I'm very sorry to hear about the not so good news too Xelor. I hope you are able to work everything out. What bothers me is why people would remove the movement from the original case?

I mean, having aftermarket bezels, bracelets and dials are a different story and I understand that. I just don't understand why and how people move all those gears and jewels and transfer them into some other non-Rolex made watch case. Its kinda ridiculous to me when I think about it.

I was watching a TT 16233 DJ before on Ebay and even pondered bidding on it. After the item had been sold, the sellers account suddenly got deleted. After that, my trust with Ebay sellers just plummeted.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
Old 18 August 2007, 05:29 PM   #27
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Xelor,
I am sorry about your loss I can not stand sleaze bay, they are dishonest and they do not have your rights in mind only their bottom line. I would consult an attorney have Rolex write a letter certifying that the watch is a fake and that due to copy right law violations the loss would be that of the sellers. Have your attorney press hard and I would see it though you may be able to sue for all the costs and making things correct. You may also face the issue of the seller claiming you switched out the parts and it was not his doing. Please keep us informed as I would like to see how this misfortunate situation is resolved.
Old 18 August 2007, 06:37 PM   #28
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Hope it all works out for you. I would go after this guy with a passion, if the money is not refunded immediately. I would contact local LE Personnel if refund does not happen. Good chance ROlex will keep the watch, as they usually confiscate all fake watches. You need to send the Seller the RSC documentation. Cahnces are if he gets the fake watch back, you he will try to sell it again. If you do ge the refund back, I would still post all over about this guy so he will not rip others off.
Old 18 August 2007, 07:58 PM   #29
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience, Xelor.

Have you tried contacting eBay about this? The item obviously violates their rules - my understanding is that it was advertised as a 100% genuine Rolex, and you now have proof from Rolex that it's not the case, so you've got this seller dead to rights. IIRC, ebay offers up to $3000 protection for your purchases, so they may be able to help you out.
Got to agree with James but still cannot understand a real movement in a fake TT case bracelet.Myself have seen a similar scam on solid gold watches.Where they move a genuine movement from a SS watch into a non genuine made gold case bracelet normally Italian made.Then put a ETA movement into the SS watch that has papers etc and sell that one as genuine too.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 18 August 2007, 08:22 PM   #30
alexcord

Watch: Maxi SS GMT II
Gutted for you, hope it all works out!!
Closed Thread