The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15 October 2017, 04:59 AM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

The TRF Pre-Marriage Counselor Thread

Open to all opinions and previous life experiences as each one is valid and pertinent to this topic.

An older co-worker (60 years old) is currently contemplating marriage to a divorcee (aged 52). They have been dating for the past 3 years and she is now pressing for a long-term commitment of sorts. The background info: He has never been married while she has two children (from her previous marriage) in their early 30s with grandchildren ranging from 5 to 9 years of age.

His concern is that he does not want to be inundated with various issues from her past and the thought of having to listen to and/or endure her children's problems (along with the grandchildren running around the house disrupting his 'inner peace' during holidays and visitations) is a disturbing thought.

When asked for my opinion, my basic suggestion was to forego this proposed matrimony and perhaps hook-up with someone younger who is bringing less 'baggage' to the table. In essence, start off with a clean slate.

BTW. Outside of some of the folks here, this guy is a real-life WIS with a nice accumulation/collection of watches (i.e. a VC chronograph and a couple of 4-digit Rolexes) + a '57 Speedster and a Mark I Cobra. I suspect that his being a bachelor for all these years afforded him the opportunity to be somewhat self-centered in his recreational pursuits and ambitions. So why gamble and screw things up now?
Old 15 October 2017, 05:02 AM   #2
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Come on man. Really?
Old 15 October 2017, 05:08 AM   #3
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
Come on man. Really?
Seriously (and deferring to others more knowledgeable as I've never been faced with this particular conundrum).
Old 15 October 2017, 05:14 AM   #4
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Sometimes people surprise you. I had a friend was was 50 when he got married. He was very much a "routine" guy. Same barber for 40+ yrs, lived in same city, ate at the same few restaurants, same vacations every year, etc. He truly loved the lady he married, so everything she brought was a non issue. Your friend needs to do a little soul searching. If he only considers his needs over hers then this marriage will not last or will not be a happy one.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:16 AM   #5
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
If he doesn't want her 'life', then he has no business considering marriage with her.
She needs to move on and find a man who wants all of her.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:17 AM   #6
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I think we are all part of some psychology experiment/study BC is secretly conducting or participating in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 15 October 2017, 05:23 AM   #7
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I think we are all part of some psychology experiment/study BC is secretly conducting or participating in.
Some just call it everyday life. +
Old 15 October 2017, 05:25 AM   #8
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
It won't work as the cars only have two seats .
Old 15 October 2017, 05:34 AM   #9
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
If he can't tolerate her past then, at present, I recommend a separate future.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
Old 15 October 2017, 05:37 AM   #10
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
An older co-worker (60 years old) is currently contemplating marriage to a divorcee (aged 52). They have been dating for the past 3 years and she is now pressing for a long-term commitment of sorts. The background info: He has never been married while she has two children (from her previous marriage) in their early 30s with grandchildren ranging from 5 to 9 years of age.:
Shows it's never too late to screw things up.
Old 15 October 2017, 05:41 AM   #11
machob55
"TRF" Member

Why anyone would want to start that type of life at 60 is beyond me? Keep collecting watches, might be more satisfying in the long run.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
Old 15 October 2017, 05:48 AM   #12
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
If he doesn't want her 'life', then he has no business considering marriage with her.
She needs to move on and find a man who wants all of her.
Couldn't agree more!! She should run away as fast as she can.

Quote:
Open to all opinions and previous life experiences as each one is valid and pertinent to this topic.

An older co-worker (60 years old) is currently contemplating marriage to a divorcee (aged 52). They have been dating for the past 3 years and she is now pressing for a long-term commitment of sorts. The background info: He has never been married while she has two children (from her previous marriage) in their early 30s with grandchildren ranging from 5 to 9 years of age.

His concern is that he does not want to be inundated with various issues from her past and the thought of having to listen to and/or endure her children's problems (along with the grandchildren running around the house disrupting his 'inner peace' during holidays and visitations) is a disturbing thought.

When asked for my opinion, my basic suggestion was to forego this proposed matrimony and perhaps hook-up with someone younger who is bringing less 'baggage' to the table. In essence, start off with a clean slate.

BTW. Outside of some of the folks here, this guy is a real-life WIS with a nice accumulation/collection of watches (i.e. a VC chronograph and a couple of 4-digit Rolexes) + a '57 Speedster and a Mark I Cobra. I suspect that his being a bachelor for all these years afforded him the opportunity to be somewhat self-centered in his recreational pursuits and ambitions. So why gamble and screw things up now?
You know, if he hasn't settled down by now, there's probably a good reason for it.

To me he sounds like a selfish piece of sh** who should rot alone surrounded by his bling.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
Old 15 October 2017, 05:58 AM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The answer is obvious. Your friend isn't suited for marriage. There's a reason he's 60 and unmarried.

No offense but you can't talk about baggage when considering people at that stage in life. Everyone has it.
Old 15 October 2017, 06:09 AM   #14
Bryant Park
Banned

Strikes me as the type of guy who wants someone around to change his adult diaper just in case it comes to that, but won't change his girlfriend's grand kids diaper because poopy is stinky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_698.jpg (103.1 KB, 455 views)
Old 15 October 2017, 07:20 AM   #15
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
The TRF Pre-Marriage Counselor Thread

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5918c66c-9b82-4ab9-9561-4286f0b50e9f-large.jpg (32.1 KB, 441 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 15 October 2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

You and the missus should take the girlfriend out to dinner and explain that she doesn't need a self centered lump of flesh in her life going into her retirement years. There's still time for her to find a decent man to settle into retirement with.
Old 15 October 2017, 07:42 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The answer is obvious. Your friend isn't suited for marriage. There's a reason he's 60 and unmarried.

No offense but you can't talk about baggage when considering people at that stage in life. Everyone has it.
Exactly my thoughts too

I had significant baggage at a much earlier age
Old 15 October 2017, 08:21 AM   #18
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
She would be best to move on.
Old 16 October 2017, 03:53 AM   #19
BristolCavendish
Banned

While everyone has their own 'baggage' so to speak, sometimes it can also get a bit out of hand. Further down the south peninsula/Silicon Valley, a former college room-mate got remarried, this time to a woman from Asia/China. At first everything seemed to be going OK but within a year her elderly parents came to visit from the mainland and never returned home. They simply let their visas expire and permanently moved in. Next came a younger sister who had an X-1 work visa at a prominent high-tech company and she also took up lodging in his 4BR/2.5B house. In retrospect, he now realizes that this marriage came with clandestine and ulterior motives (i.e. procuring a green card and permanent housing for relatives). And of course, these potentially disruptive plans were never discussed out in the open prior to the marriage. Barring a second divorce, he is totally screwed.

Having some baggage from the past is one thing but marrying someone with steamer trunks is an entirely different situation.
Old 16 October 2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
While everyone has their own 'baggage' so to speak, sometimes it can also get a bit out of hand. Further down the south peninsula/Silicon Valley, a former college room-mate got remarried, this time to a woman from Asia/China. At first everything seemed to be going OK but within a year her elderly parents came to visit from the mainland and never returned home. They simply let their visas expire and permanently moved in. Next came a younger sister who had an X-1 work visa at a prominent high-tech company and she also took up lodging in his 4BR/2.5B house. In retrospect, he now realizes that this marriage came with clandestine and ulterior motives (i.e. procuring a green card and permanent housing for relatives). And of course, these potentially disruptive plans were never discussed out in the open prior to the marriage. Barring a second divorce, he is totally screwed.

Having some baggage from the past is one thing but marrying someone with steamer trunks is an entirely different situation.
Man... your repertoire of odd and afflicted friends and acquaintances knows no bounds.
Old 16 October 2017, 05:12 AM   #21
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Man... your repertoire of odd and afflicted friends and acquaintances knows no bounds.
No kidding (which is why I count my blessings each and every day). I'll never be rich but at least I won't be impoverished or inundated by this kind of BS.
Old 16 October 2017, 05:12 AM   #22
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In a best choice competition this one gets the medal. Grandma husband close second.
Old 16 October 2017, 05:32 AM   #23
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Sounds like they both MAY be happier in a different situation.
Old 16 October 2017, 05:36 AM   #24
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I told my wife when were dating that I would only go to one wedding and one funeral in my life: both my own. And we have been married over 30 years and my cremation arrangements have already been made.
Old 16 October 2017, 07:12 AM   #25
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
In a best choice competition this one gets the medal. Grandma husband close second.
Speaking of 'grandma', the elderly mother-in-law has now taken to preparing the family dinners on a regular basis. Despite being allocated a somewhat generous grocery allowance, she is a bit on the frugal side and spends very little on the ingredients. A typical dinner consists of white rice + bock choy and some scraps of pork or fish. As a result, Chet is now sneaking off to In & Out, Round Table Pizza or El Pollo Loco immediately following work and prior to joining the 'clan' at dinnertime. Since he doesn't have much of an appetite after getting home, the leftovers are then set aside for the following evening's dinner.

Mrs. BC and I often refer to him as 'dead man walking'.
Old 16 October 2017, 11:13 AM   #26
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Where is my popcorn?
Old 16 October 2017, 11:23 AM   #27
Gaijin

Watch: ing your back.
This guy sounds like a career bachelor and that’s the way he should remain. The scenario painted will be disastrous for him being set in his ways.
Old 16 October 2017, 12:33 PM   #28
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Marriage is a bit of a lottery, even with good people with the best of intentions.
Life is full of risks, but you take them because otherwise there is no richness in the mix.
People come with baggage - that's the way it is. If you don't want the baggage you don't want the relationship.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 16 October 2017, 12:54 PM   #29
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Seriously (and deferring to others more knowledgeable as I've never been faced with this particular conundrum).
Leave this to the true professionals!!!!
Stop getting involved...
Old 16 October 2017, 02:47 PM   #30
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
This guy sounds like a career bachelor and that’s the way he should remain. The scenario painted will be disastrous for him being set in his ways.
Yep...Marriage isn't for everyone and that's ok.
Closed Thread