The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2017, 04:28 AM   #1
ALF61
"TRF" Member

Why Don´t Buyers Verify Before Purchase ?

I see so many complaints and uncertainties after a watch purchase, and so many scams going on, that I am wondering why don´t buyers verify watche´s authenticity before shelling out the cash ?
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:33 AM   #2
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
not so easy when you don't have the watch in front of you, right?

There is also a case where buyer took the watch to local jeweler to confirm the authenticity, but the seller did a bait and switch on him. If you deal with the professional scammer and you are not a watch expert, I don't think it is that easy.
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 04:46 AM   #3
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

As has been said here and other places. You need to Buy the seller, not the (whatever).

If as a buyer, you can't verify the integrity and honesty of the seller, you should not get involved in a transaction with them.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:05 AM   #4
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
As has been said here and other places. You need to Buy the seller, not the (whatever).

If as a buyer, you can't verify the integrity and honesty of the seller, you should not get involved in a transaction with them.

Yup , nothing else to add ...this where the thread stops , Buy the seller and not the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:06 AM   #5
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Yup , nothing else to add ...this where the thread stops , Buy the seller and not the watch.

some of the top sellers have sold watches that weren't completely Rolex before. I think John Mayer or someone sued a huge vintage dealer for this very reason.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:17 AM   #6
Rlxlvr1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
some of the top sellers have sold watches that weren't completely Rolex before. I think John Mayer or someone sued a huge vintage dealer for this very reason.

“John Mayer was NEVER sold a fake Rolex by his former friend Robert Maron, the singer himself has admitted, according to a new report.

The 37-year-old has dropped a lawsuit against the so-called 'watch dealer to the stars', having accused him of selling him counterfeit timepieces.” -Daily Mail UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rlxlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:18 AM   #7
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlxlvr1 View Post
“John Mayer was NEVER sold a fake Rolex by his former friend Robert Maron, the singer himself has admitted, according to a new report.

The 37-year-old has dropped a lawsuit against the so-called 'watch dealer to the stars', having accused him of selling him counterfeit timepieces.” -Daily Mail UK

The issue wasn't counterfeit watches, it was watches with aftermarket parts. And that would be difficult to verify without actually having the watch.
Old 17 October 2017, 05:39 AM   #8
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlxlvr1 View Post

Yeah , and I can be assaulted inside the police station, but you are better off if you are in s secure place. The same with a watch purchase, anything can happen but the best you can do is like I said and many will tell you “ buy the seller “.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:40 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Yeah , and I can be assaulted inside the police station, but you are better off if you are in s secure place. The same with a watch purchase, anything can happen but the best you can do is like I said and many will tell you “ buy the seller “.
I don't disagree.
Old 17 October 2017, 05:45 AM   #10
rbiggs
"TRF" Member

I feel like it's hard to do unless you can psychically see the watch.

Tough situation to be in unless you are 100% sure.
rbiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 05:50 AM   #11
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
"Hey, I'm interested in your watch. Can you send it to me so I can have it verified? If I am content, then I will send you the money."

See any potential issues there?

Hehehe oh yea, and buy the seller.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:04 AM   #12
Syed117
"TRF" Member

We get plenty of posts on this forum from people who buy a watch from an unknown source and then come here asking if there is anything wrong with it.

Why do people do this? I have no idea.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:27 AM   #13
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
We get plenty of posts on this forum from people who buy a watch from an unknown source and then come here asking if there is anything wrong with it.

Why do people do this? I have no idea.
If they did a "little" bit of homework, such as ask the members here for a few good sources they wouldn't have to post their new purchase asking if it is real!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:43 AM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
its not as bad as the nigerian prince situation.

usually they fall for the too good to be true price and dont buy the seller but buy the price. it is a big mistake.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:45 AM   #15
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
If they did a "little" bit of homework, such as ask the members here for a few good sources they wouldn't have to post their new purchase asking if it is real!
Totally agree.

Buyer’s posting here, acknowledging they knew nothing about the seller, relied on blurry pictures, and still purchased having questions or doubts is a common occurrence.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 06:48 AM   #16
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Some of these posts may well be from the scammers themselves, either looking to see how authentic their fake is, or ways to improve it.

As has been said, the best advice always is "buy the seller". Mistakes happen, but with an honest seller there's recourse.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 07:01 AM   #17
NothingToSeeHere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Some of these posts may well be from the scammers themselves, either looking to see how authentic their fake is, or ways to improve it.

As has been said, the best advice always is "buy the seller". Mistakes happen, but with an honest seller there's recourse.

I'd venture to say over half of those inquiries are from either scammers, or people who know they are fake. People who purchased a replica and convinced themselves it was just like the real watch. Then they post it on here to see if they were right
NothingToSeeHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2017, 12:53 PM   #18
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I’ve said this a number of times here but I think it bears repeating, I will only buy a Rolex from an authorized Rolex dealer. I’m not interested in preowned watches. I don’t know enough to tell a good fake from the real thing so it doesn’t matter to me if I pay retail for a new watch. At least I know it is the genuine article.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 12:04 AM   #19
jojowells43
"TRF" Member

It's kind of hard to verify if you don't have the product right in front of you.
jojowells43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 01:19 AM   #20
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
As many stated, buy the seller. Face to face can be a fair way to assess the watch if you know what you are looking at. Some of the franken watches make it difficult even for someone with knowledge and experience.

I stick to buying from sellers I know and trust. Even if I can save a few bucks from someone else I stick with the same guys.

I got burnt in the early ebay days in the mid 90's on a Sub. But I had a hacker friend track the guy down and me and some of my buddies found him in Miami. Got most of my money back, but it cost me quite a bit to collect it. Plane tickets, cash for the muscle, and time. It was a matter a principle to me. Took me a long time to buy another watch off the internet after that.

Last vintage piece I sold, the buyer flew in for a few hours to inspect the watch. Still some risk as neither of us knew each other, but we both had some history here and we exchanged work information and other info. Deal went really well.

At the end of the day the only way to be truly sure is to be new from an AD.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 02:09 AM   #21
ALF61
"TRF" Member

If I was selling one of my Rolex, which are all genuine and bought new from AD, I´d insist on a face to face in a safe place, and that the buyer know what I am handing over or somewhere where the watch can be checked for authenticity. The transaction can be a great risk for the seller as well. It just amazes me how items costing thousands and with a huge history of fraud trade so freely over the internet.
ALF61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 02:27 AM   #22
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Why Don´t Buyers Verify Before Purchase ?

You guys must have bad luck. I must be the only lucky guy here.

BTW, just got a huge cut from a Nigerian prince for helping him inherit his estate.

Old 18 October 2017, 02:59 AM   #23
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post

BTW, just got a huge cut from a Nigerian price for helping him inherit his estate.
Same here. We are extremely lucky that there are so many princes in Nigeria and that they are all so generous
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 03:25 AM   #24
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgbaj View Post

BTW, just got a huge cut from a Nigerian price for helping him inherit his estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Same here. We are extremely lucky that there are so many princes in Nigeria and that they are all so generous

Gentlemez,

As ewe have helped my couzins, well you pleased aid me to obtuse my heritage from the death of my wise and waelthly fathur. I hop I can coup on year azzistantz.

Tank you bery mach.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 05:10 AM   #25
jstevens43
"TRF" Member

I think references/sources and reviews are the best way to verify a purchase online. Often times I dont think that there are enough of these for buyers to be able to make a 100% sure decision.
jstevens43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2017, 09:26 PM   #26
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF61 View Post
I see so many complaints and uncertainties after a watch purchase, and so many scams going on, that I am wondering why don´t buyers verify watche´s authenticity before shelling out the cash ?
I believe that some who fall prey to scams are looking for a "deal"
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote