The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 July 2012, 10:56 AM   #1
BIG_B_n_FLA
Banned

Watch: Rolex Sub 116610
The Watch vs the Car

I saw a post on here that raised an interesting perspective. Luxury watches vs a luxury car. As men we all tend to like or desire luxury items such as cars and watches to say the least. I wanted ask the question of which item is the better VALUE? Notice I did not say better price. I am looking to see if someone can express or quantify the long term difference between the two Luxury items. My 2 examples:
1st A pre owned AP Carbon may cost between $19k to $33k. In 10years of average wear and servicing it will be worth how much?

2nd A pre owned Porsche 911 may cost between $45k to 75k. In 10years of average wear and servicing it will be worth how much?

I hope I explain my questions to you guys thoroughly. I am in the process of buying a car and I would like to buy my first AP by the holiday time. I am thinking of buying a Porsche but I think long term the AP is a better value.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
BIG_B_n_FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I think watches hold their value better than cars especially newer ones. That being said, the 911 will hold its value better than others in its class. Tough comparison, cars wear out, watches dont.
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
porsche

Here is my Porsche sales post, though my situation was a much lower dollar decision. I paid 3,200 for a porsche 928, sold it for five a few years later in order to buy a GMT 16710- no oil dripping on my garage floor, no regrets here...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=203574
Old 18 July 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Cars, especially new, depreciate much more horribly than any Rolex will ever do! Then again, a nice car will give me more pleasure than a nice watch. And a lot more bang for your buck. $50k will buy you a watch that weighs 150gm, the same will get you a 1500+kg hunk of metal and 300+hp lol!
caryyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 11:13 AM   #5
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Car will depreciate at a faster rate for the most part. Depends on what you want more. I love watches but cars might have a slight edge for me.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 11:53 AM   #6
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
I wonder when we get into the TCO discussion - remember it takes 40-100 bucks to fill the tank, service every XYZ miles and new tires every 30-60k. Watches are easier - wind them up, wash them from time to time and regular service every few years.

I get more enjoyment from a watch. But that's me.

There is the other side too - watch is not going to take family to the lake or you to the office...
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Porsches are bad with value. If you want a nice car with some speed get a 2011 bmw 335i with 30k miles should run you 35k tops. Certified also.
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 12:11 PM   #8
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
If you are looking to make an investment, expect the car not to be a good choice.

I look at these types of predicaments in the following manner: what will give me more pleasure, looking at an amazing time piece on my wrist, or driving a car. You need to walk before you can run. You need to tell time so you can get somewhere :))

Reality is, life is short, shoot for both goals.

As a Porsche owner, Carrera 4S (black outside/red interior) and Panamera 4S (white with tan inside) - I can say that they make amazing daily drivers and will put a smile on your face on command.

Highly recommend a Porsche over a BMW or Mercedes (Cars are my vice - I know them well).

True story - I was driving fast on a highway when suddenly a BMW M3 came near me and wanted to race. (I won 0-60 & 0-100). Suddenly we got to a red light and saw in the rear view mirror that he wasn't moving. I thought nothing of it and drove off. On my way back into town, I saw fire trucks. His brand new BMW M3 caught fire.

I stopped and spoke to the driver - a man in his late 50's. He said that the dealer told him not to rev higher than 3k during the break in period. Should've listened - my dealer just said "enjoy".

Moral - tell time, drive fast, live it up - things will appreciate and depreciate - life is too short to worry about that. Enjoy whatever will make you happier and one day, with a little bit of smarts and luck - you will have a watch, car, boat, plane - get my point? :)

Enjoy!

Last edited by VICI; 18 July 2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Typo
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 12:13 PM   #9
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Entirely depends on the car and watch. In general, the watch is a better deal.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 12:19 PM   #10
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Now might be a good time to pick up a vintage Shelby GT Cobra…

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
BIG_B_n_FLA
Banned

TCO is very different between the two I will agree. But Acquiring a watch is usually bigger commitment i.e. you can finance the Porsche over 60mnths at little 1-5% interest. The watch is usually a bigger hit to the savings account...lol
Old 18 July 2012, 01:14 PM   #12
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Both cars and watches depend on the brand in how well they will hold their value but I think watches are better long term. Buy a new or slightly used rolex, AP, etc from a trusted seller on here and 5 years later you can probably get almost what you paid for it.

I'm not much of a luxury car guy anymore. Had an E55 AMG Mercedes and a Maserati at one time. Maintenance was a pain to do on your own and service costs were really expensive. Took big hits on both when I sold them. Now I'm more into trucks and offroad racing. Probably even more expensive and lower resale value but WAY more fun.

In the end whichever one gives you the most joy is the best value.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 01:17 PM   #13
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplaw View Post
Moral - tell time, drive fast, live it up - things will appreciate and depreciate - life is too short to worry about that. Enjoy whatever will make you happier and one day, with a little bit of smarts and luck - you will have a watch, car, boat, plane - get my point? :)

Enjoy!
Agree x 1000! Life is indeed short, as long as you are able to afford it, then just enjoy. Luxury items are just that, a luxury you buy to reward yourself and have fun with. Don't over think your purchases. If your luxury purchases give you undue stress due to their residual value etc, then perhaps you shouldn't be spending so much money right now!
Old 18 July 2012, 01:23 PM   #14
genghis7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toplaw View Post
if you are looking to make an investment, expect the car not to be a good choice.

I look at these types of predicaments in the following manner: What will give me more pleasure, looking at an amazing time piece on my wrist, or driving a car. You need to walk before you can run. You need to tell time so you can get somewhere :))

reality is, life is short, shoot for both goals.

As a porsche owner, carrera 4s (black outside/red interior) and panamera 4s (white with tan inside) - i can say that they make amazing daily drivers and will put a smile on your face on command.

Highly recommend a porsche over a bmw or mercedes (cars are my vice - i know them well).

True story - i was driving fast on a highway when suddenly a bmw m3 came near me and wanted to race. (i won 0-60 & 0-100). Suddenly we got to a red light and saw in the rear view mirror that he wasn't moving. I thought nothing of it and drove off. On my way back into town, i saw fire trucks. His brand new bmw m3 caught fire.

I stopped and spoke to the driver - a man in his late 50's. He said that the dealer told him not to rev higher than 3k during the break in period. Should've listened - my dealer just said "enjoy".

enjoy!
👍👍
genghis7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 01:53 PM   #15
BIG_B_n_FLA
Banned

Now that's wisdom.. I was thinking the same thing. When you 12hrs a day for 5days a week its kinda hard not to desire the luxury things in life. I think most of us would agree.

Old 18 July 2012, 01:56 PM   #16
BIG_B_n_FLA
Banned

x2

Old 18 July 2012, 03:59 PM   #17
aboen
"TRF" Member

I'd wear 30k watch in a 5k car and be tickled happy...that's just me though.
aboen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Ristretto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
Watch over Car. I've enjoyed 3 European Cars and they are nice but If I had to do it again I wouldnt buy something more expensive than a Land Cruiser and the rest of the budget on a nice watch.
Ristretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 04:55 PM   #19
Feras
Banned

Watch: Rolex,Tag
Quote:
Originally Posted by alroumi View Post
Watch over Car. I've enjoyed 3 European Cars and they are nice but If I had to do it again I wouldnt buy something more expensive than a Land Cruiser and the rest of the budget on a nice watch.
X2,
Bought two sports car, but if i'd do it again it would a Nissan SUV and a Rolex
Feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 05:21 PM   #20
Bangel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
It's a difficult question to answer, because there are so many variables involved, not least of which is subjectivity and how much you like watches relative to cars.

Even just restricting the question to just one type of product doesn't make things easier. Is it worth spending extra money on a Ferrari over a Porsche? Is an AP better value than a Patek? To me, it all depends on the individual.

Maybe approaching it from a different angle may help. Find a 10 year old AP and a 10 year old 911 and ask yourself which one you'd rather own?
Bangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 05:26 PM   #21
caryyee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangel View Post
Find a 10 year old AP and a 10 year old 911 and ask yourself which one you'd rather own?
If it's a 10yr old 911 Turbo, then the car wins out every time, no matter what model AP. 10 yr old 911 Turbo vs a 10 yr old PP Perpetual?? Hmmm, that's gonna be tough, but I think the car still wins out. It all depends on how much one likes cars, or watches, or whatever other toy takes your fancy. Most of us, if we can afford a Rolex, are probably able to enjoy other toys as well, unless one is obsessive about watches, as I'm sure a few of us here are!
Old 18 July 2012, 06:02 PM   #22
Ristretto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
964 & 993Turbo > AP

996 & 997 Turbo < AP

= Easy
Ristretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 11:10 PM   #23
drchuck72
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116520
A nice car gets you where you're going. A nice watch says that you've arrived.

Okay, having said that, I love both. I don't think I would choose one over the other. They serve different purposes and give pleasure in different ways.

As mentioned earlier, it all depends on one's preferences. Some people love watches and don't give a damn about cars (yes they really do exist). Most car guys have an affinity for watches but will choose the car every time. Chacun son gout.
Old 19 July 2012, 12:56 AM   #24
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toplaw View Post
If you are looking to make an investment, expect the car not to be a good choice.

I look at these types of predicaments in the following manner: what will give me more pleasure, looking at an amazing time piece on my wrist, or driving a car. You need to walk before you can run. You need to tell time so you can get somewhere :))

Reality is, life is short, shoot for both goals.

As a Porsche owner, Carrera 4S (black outside/red interior) and Panamera 4S (white with tan inside) - I can say that they make amazing daily drivers and will put a smile on your face on command.

Highly recommend a Porsche over a BMW or Mercedes (Cars are my vice - I know them well).

True story - I was driving fast on a highway when suddenly a BMW M3 came near me and wanted to race. (I won 0-60 & 0-100). Suddenly we got to a red light and saw in the rear view mirror that he wasn't moving. I thought nothing of it and drove off. On my way back into town, I saw fire trucks. His brand new BMW M3 caught fire.

Enjoy!
Nothing personal- but I feel like theres more to that story....That may have been exactly what you have seen, but I used to work for BMW for 2 years. Avid BMW and Porsche fan. Driven everything BMW model since 1980, and almost all the porsches (only got to ride in the cup car though).

1)Engine burst- not common.... so I wouldnt hold an M3 at direct fault there. Its a phenomenal and well built machine.
2) Break-in period is the greatest lie of the car industry. OEMs put so many invisible miles on the engine before it leaves the plant to make sure it works. Its not as if when you bought the car your the first breath of life to it. As well, what do you think a sales man do to the car? They take the customer out/customer drive and show them the performance of it...theyre not babying the car. All in all, its never wise to red line every shift all day everyday, but theres no need to baby it.

BTW- nice collection of cars you have

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 12:56 AM   #25
Chulo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alroumi View Post
964 & 993Turbo > AP

996 & 997 Turbo < AP

= Easy
X2. Well put. I'd probably add a 3.2 or 930 to that list, too. They're not making many of those anymore.
Chulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 12:59 AM   #26
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchuck72 View Post
A nice car gets you where you're going. A nice watch says that you've arrived.

Okay, having said that, I love both. I don't think I would choose one over the other. They serve different purposes and give pleasure in different ways.

As mentioned earlier, it all depends on one's preferences. Some people love watches and don't give a damn about cars (yes they really do exist). Most car guys have an affinity for watches but will choose the car every time. Chacun son gout.
Correct. I love both---watches and cars are great machines.

But there are some people I know who have a $50k+ individual watches who drive there good ol' 2000 Jeep or some old Honda. Whatever floats your boat!

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 01:05 AM   #27
highdiver

Watch: APPPR IWC
if you talk about 'retention value' and 'opex', then i will say watch is way better than car. Watch maintenance is considered minimum comparing with car. Watch will take a big hit when u open and wear it (so as car when its on the road) but the value will be there generally. Car will however depreciate every year. watch normally wont.
highdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 02:49 AM   #28
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

I'd take the watch any day.
Old 19 July 2012, 03:02 AM   #29
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Doggy View Post
I'd take the watch any day.
Absoulutely

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 03:25 AM   #30
Blue Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlax View Post
Correct. I love both---watches and cars are great machines.

But there are some people I know who have a $50k+ individual watches who drive there good ol' 2000 Jeep or some old Honda. Whatever floats your boat!
I'm the one!
Blue Owl is offline   Reply With Quote