The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 11 May 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Your opinions needed - which one to chose from : 5960R, 5070R or 5130P ?

hi PP enthusiasts , just in need of your opinions - hope you don't mind

If you had a chance of one PP among that ones : 5960R, 5070R and 5130P --> which one would be your choice?

Furthermore, as things change rapidly, in which sequence would you put them, from the most to less desirable?

Thank you in advance and , please, let me hear your reasons why.

regards
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
Stuxnet
Banned

A chronograph, a World Time and an Aquanaut.

Very different watches and I would not be able to choose one over the other. I would like all three as they are so different and serve different needs and purposes.

If you don't already own a PP, start with the 5130P. I think it is the most versatile.

If affordability is a criteria then start with the 5060. A beautiful watch. I have the 5167 and would jump at a 5060 in mint condition. Bigger isn't always better.

I can't argue with the 5130P as I own the 5110P. Probably the most beautiful out of the three.

The 5070 wears big at 42mm. A classic but not for me (small wrist). It's also a manual wind vs the two self winding watches. Don't know if that matters to you. The 5960 is an automatic while the 3970/5970 are manual wind PCs.

Good luck. Hope you pick up at least 2 of the 3.
Stuxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 10:49 AM   #3
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
5070R all day long. Classic chrono and very desirable w/ Lemania based--Patek finished movement. It is one of the most sought after Patek Chrono's and most beautiful ones they have ever made. The watch speaks for itself....Cheers,

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
5070R all day long. Classic chrono and very desirable w/ Lemania based--Patek finished movement. It is one of the most sought after Patek Chrono's and most beautiful ones they have ever made. The watch speaks for itself....Cheers,
Thank you guys, so far for your answers

That's one thing that intrigues me - and therefore why I'm asking opinions for the experts -- why 5070 that holds a simpler and non inhouse movt is so highly prized ?

isn't the 5960 much more complicated and therefore in higher rank?

thanks so much
Old 11 May 2013, 11:59 AM   #5
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
As Ken has said the 5070.

It is by far the most sought after reference of the three references you have chosen. The 5070 in Platnium being the most desired metal of this references but again they are all sought after.

The other two references you mentioned are great watches but do not have nearly the desirability of the chrono

The 5960 is a fantastic watch and might have more complications but the lemania based and patek finished movements are considered some of the most beautiful and perfect movements ever made which is what is in the 5070

Also the 5070 was the first chrono of its kind to be released in something over 40 or 50 years lots of history in this watch
perpetualman88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2013, 04:44 PM   #6
rejj
"TRF" Member

I have to jump on the bandwagon and agree here - of those three, the 5070R stands out far in front. At least for me.
rejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 02:30 AM   #7
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Size-wise it's the worst choice for me but this watch is such a great model that I would much prefer it to a model from the current line...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Thank you guys, so far for your answers

That's one thing that intrigues me - and therefore why I'm asking opinions for the experts -- why 5070 that holds a simpler and non inhouse movt is so highly prized ?

isn't the 5960 much more complicated and therefore in higher rank?

thanks so much
As far as I know when it comes to Patek even if they have non in-house movements the discontinued older models gain much more value than the ones from the current line. Some of those models have been produced only in very small quantities and although they may be less complicated than other recent ones the fact that they are now discontinued makes them big collectible items. I am far from being an expert but some of those references only have a few hundred models all over the world.

Perhaps somebody can correct me on that one but PP has a few models that have become big collectible items over the years, whether they are in-house and complicated or not.
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I very much like the 5960R. It looks perfect.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2013, 04:26 AM   #9
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
I would get the 5960R, but only at a steep discount, and only if it were the 5960R-011 or 5960-010

Heck, get both and wear the 010 with dark suits and the 011 with lighter colored suits...
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2013, 05:16 AM   #10
Chaos
"TRF" Member

thank you, guys, so far it was good to have those infos

I was thinking on 5960R being the preference, and it was little surprising the 5070R support.

I've been into Panerai for a while, then you might understand my concern about simpler and third party mechanism, present on other lower level watches -- and on top of it, watch scarcely available and consequently at high prices -- too much PAM stuff on it, no pun intended

I guess my knowledge is too limited so far

best
Old 14 May 2013, 05:28 AM   #11
vc_watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP PC, Nautilus!
For a variety of reasons - perhaps limited quantities is one, perhaps the steep discounts currently provided for the 5960 is another, perhaps the fact that the 5960 is still being produced while the 5070 has been discontinued, etc - you'll find that a LOT more collectors very much prefer the 5070 versus the 5960.

But just think about this: when the 5070 was introduced in 1998, MSRP was in the high $20s. Yes, hard to believe, right? Uptake wasn't that strong, so for a while you could even get a 5070 for under $20K from an AD (whoooooooa). Then Patek pricing escalated, the model was discontinued, and here we are.

Will the same happen with the 5960? Hard to say. I don't know the future.

At the end of the day, you really need to go with what sings to you best.
vc_watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2013, 12:54 AM   #12
leica
"TRF" Member

5070r!
Old 15 May 2013, 03:57 AM   #13
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

From your available choices I would have to agree with the majority.

However if you were to make it a 5960P with grey dial, i would go with that one in a flash.

Without doubt the 5070R is a more desrible watch for most.

However personally I have no real reason to have a chrono only watch.

But to have one that also comes with an annual calendar a 2nd time zone if you use the chrono hands correctly and in house movement then it would have to be that
Old 15 May 2013, 04:44 AM   #14
Chaos
"TRF" Member

Those are the actual chronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat30093 View Post
From your available choices I would have to agree with the majority.

However if you were to make it a 5960P with grey dial, i would go with that one in a flash.

Without doubt the 5070R is a more desrible watch for most.

However personally I have no real reason to have a chrono only watch.

But to have one that also comes with an annual calendar a 2nd time zone if you use the chrono hands correctly and in house movement then it would have to be that

So, guys, thank you for answers so far,

Please see pic's of actual watches

Is that one grey dial mentioned? Interesting, how to work on 2nd time zone?
thanks
Old 15 May 2013, 05:33 AM   #15
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
So, guys, thank you for answers so far,

Please see pic's of actual watches

Is that one grey dial mentioned? Interesting, how to work on 2nd time zone?
thanks
I wouldn't get that particular color combo 5960P personally. I don't like how busy the chrono is on it compared to the rest of the dial, but that of course if only my personal aesthetics...

Have you looked at the 5170J? That can be had for around $60k and it hasn't jumped in price like the 5070 because it is currently in production. Perhaps the chances are better that the 5170 will jump up in price when it is discontinued rather than the 5070 jumping up such a large amount in price again?
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2013, 02:33 AM   #16
giuliosax
"TRF" Member

5070 R no doubt
giuliosax is offline   Reply With Quote