The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 September 2018, 10:31 AM   #1
SSA
"TRF" Member

First AP - 26331ST Blue vs. 26331IP

Deciding on purchasing my first AP and have the option to pick up either the Blue steel chrono or the titanium "limited edition" IP.

I like the look of the Blue 26331 but wonder if I will regret not picking up a limited edition watch. While I like the blue dial, there are likely other watches with blue dials that I will end up acquiring in coming years...is the IP's dial color unique enough to go for that now?

Love to hear thoughts of those who may have gone through similar decision...

Thank you.
SSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 10:38 AM   #2
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
There is quite a bit of price differential between the two. If I''m not wrong, the IP version is nearly double the price of the ST version. Does that factor into your decision making process? If not, then the IP version is the nicer watch. And this is from someone that owns the 26331ST blue. Just make sure you can live with the polished Pt bezel building scratches over time.
Old 4 September 2018, 12:05 PM   #3
SSA
"TRF" Member

It is $12k more for the IP, which is a factor in that I could always put that money towards another watch, etc. Trying to see if it is $12k nicer :)
Old 4 September 2018, 01:49 PM   #4
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
There is quite a bit of price differential between the two. If I''m not wrong, the IP version is nearly double the price of the ST version. Does that factor into your decision making process? If not, then the IP version is the nicer watch. And this is from someone that owns the 26331ST blue. Just make sure you can live with the polished Pt bezel building scratches over time.

I agree. I also own the blue. It is very good looking and honestly wouldn't put extra money in a ROC above the blue's price. The reason is that it has a relatively older movement which is not in house and closed case back. These factors make it somehow inferior (if that is the right word) to other high end chronographs from top brands like patek and Lange...etc. Hence wouldn't invest much on special editions or PM variants of that watch until they fix these matters. But overall it is absolutely stunning watch and IMHO the steel blue strikes the best balance between design, brand value and cost (as compared to a crazy price of grey market for a steel Daytona).

Just my humble opinion and could be wrong
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2018, 11:11 PM   #5
rikobo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Hope you don't mind me asking questions in your thread ...

Is there any reason why AP ROC does not have a display case back like a 15400?
Have been considering getting a blue 26331ST as well but just holding back a little bit.
I somehow feel that watches in this price range should have an open case back for us to admire the inner workings of the watch
rikobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 02:53 AM   #6
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikobo View Post
Hope you don't mind me asking questions in your thread ...

Is there any reason why AP ROC does not have a display case back like a 15400?
Have been considering getting a blue 26331ST as well but just holding back a little bit.
I somehow feel that watches in this price range should have an open case back for us to admire the inner workings of the watch
The ROC does not have a display back because its not a complete in-house movement... They usually don't want to display another brand's movement

I really like the blue dial ROC.. it looks really nice in person and love the subdials on it
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 05:22 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would go for the IP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 09:09 AM   #8
ragsk
Banned

IP gets my vote. You have to see it person if you haven't. Really is visually stunning.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 06:59 AM   #9
SSA
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for your advise! I ended up getting the 26331st in Blue and the 15400 in White. The 15400 ships tomorrow so very excited to get that! The blue should arrive in the next couple of months.

For those interested, London boutique has the 26331 IP available now if anybody is searching for it.

Glad to have joined the AP owners club :)

Last edited by SSA; 17 September 2018 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 17 September 2018, 07:12 AM   #10
ragsk
Banned

Congratulations OP - two great watches.

Obviously biased but I love the IP. The light reflection is so gorgeous. You go to a dimly lit restaurant and it just pops in such a majestic manner. I was sat in the Churchill bar recently and to me at least it was mesmerising. Like a subtle disco ball if there us such a thing

Very different I think from a SS ROC. I saw a guy on the London subway wearing a white dial SS ROC. It looked totally gorgeous too but much more matt than mine and less reflective. There is a substantial difference in look - the IP will get more attention than the SS for sure but as we know thats not always a good thing.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:36 AM   #11
Gentadesign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSA View Post
Thank you all for your advise! I ended up getting the 26331st in Blue and the 15400 in White. The 15400 ships tomorrow so very excited to get that! The blue should arrive in the next couple of months.

For those interested, London boutique has the 26331 IP available now if anybody is searching for it.

Glad to have joined the AP owners club :)
Congratulations on your new watch 👏 Do you know the UK retail for the 26331 IP?
Gentadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2018, 08:41 AM   #12
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentadesign View Post
Congratulations on your new watch 👏 Do you know the UK retail for the 26331 IP?
It’s now £32,300
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2018, 07:22 AM   #13
Gentadesign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
It’s now £32,300
Thanks 👍
Gentadesign is offline   Reply With Quote