The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 29 March 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
k8wt
"TRF" Member

PAM 244 / Santos 100 / Milgauss GV

Hi all

I dont know much about Panerai im afraid but am willing to make a move from the Rolex brand! The model im looking at is the PAM 244 (GMT) due to the 40mm diameter size - seems to be the smallest of the whole range :(

Question being how does the value of this particular watch or the brand vary compared to Rolex, which seems to be pretty solid. Ive done a quick search and it seems to be only certain models of Panerai are extremely positive and tend to be the more earlier models. Am I correct in saying this, from my brief research?! Value in the long term is not a complete deciding factor but knowing that I'm throwing money away like that doesnt sit well when there are other options around and am not intending to make money either :)

The watches i am currently considering are possibly Cartier Santos 100 or the Milgauss GV. I have ruled out for one reason or another due to value retention, looks or already own/owned:- Hublot, all Rolexs', Patek, Breguet, Tag and pretty much all other brands ive seen after scouring the internet for suitable sizes and its 'look'.

Bit of a bizarre, narrowed down list but heres the reason why I've come to chosing them:-

PAM 244 - As mentioned, smallest model and always wanted one! Will look and maybe feel bulky on my little wrists? Looks great with black strap IMO

Santos 100 - Comes in different sizes (good for me), understated with the black strap. However does feel cheap IMHO. Retention of value not great ???? and doesnt have a date.

Milgauss GV - Looks unique but not over the top. Good value retention but no date and new stainless steel bracelet is a bit bling :/

Anyways, what are your thoughts? Have I missed something quite obvious to you guys?

Apologies in advance, I'm quite fussy!
k8wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 10:44 AM   #2
mfer
"TRF" Member

If you are unsure of whether or not it will be a keeper, the GV will be easiest to sell and probable retain its value better than your other two options.

If you know which one you love more than any other, just get that one and never look back.

BTW, the first time you try on Panerai they always seem huge. My first one I ever considered was a 51 (40mm on a bracelet). Let's just say I'm glad I never got that one.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 11:22 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

go like this cant go wrong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0094.jpg (47.0 KB, 145 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Milgauss J
"TRF" Member

If those were my choices, I would take GV. I actually have the Santos 100 and the GV and several PAM's. I almost never wear the Santos because I am not a dressy guy. Mostly a jeans kinda guy so that is why I wear my GV way more than the Santos. I actually only wear the Santos a few times the last few years. The GV to me is more versatile. You can dress it up or down. And the green crystal is so awesome! Definitely one of my favorites!

As Mik stated about the smaller PAM's, I am not a huge fan of those either. But if it is a PAM you want and your wrist size is small then by all means get it and love it.

Resale value definitely the best with GV.

Enjoy the shopping around. It's what makes it all fun!
Milgauss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
My suggestion is to not buy a 40mm PAM, either get an 44mm or nothing at all, buy a used base 44mm PAM as 000, 111, 112 and try for a while, these can be had a very good prices and almost garanteed to get you money back on if you buy pre-loved...

Do not let the 44mm size scare you, anyone can pull these off and it is the original size for PAM's...

And the strap addiction will follow and Rolex will not be as intresting as before :-)

my 2c

/masterkiller
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2012, 01:42 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I agree. Get 44mm not 40mm.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote