The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2017, 12:51 AM   #31
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
I have had many cordial, professional and fair transactions with Govberg, including the purchase of a Patek Calatrava. I wonder if all the naysayers have had a bad personal experience with them.
Nope. Have not bought anything from them nor will I.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 01:42 AM   #32
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Nope. Have not bought anything from them nor will I.
And after what we've learned, nor will I.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 01:53 AM   #33
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post
I went to Tiffany & Co to view a 5196G today. Wow! Such a simple, beautiful, elegant watch. I wasn't totally sold on the Tiffany & Co stamp, so I am still trying to decide if I should purchase this one or go through a local AD that I would like to establish a continuing relationship with. Any 5196 lovers out there?
The 5196 is a beautiful watch and a good size for a Calatrava. Whether to have a Tiffany stamp on the dial or not is pure personal preference. Some people like the Tiffany stamp and/or think there is a resale premium. Others would rather not have it as the double label is seen as a marketing gimmick. Most Calatravas are slow sellers, so ADs should be willing to give you a good price on the watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 02:00 AM   #34
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Nothing bigger than 40mm. I’d say 38-40.
remz07twos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 02:14 AM   #35
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
The 5196 is a beautiful watch and a good size for a Calatrava. Whether to have a Tiffany stamp on the dial or not is pure personal preference. Some people like the Tiffany stamp and/or think there is a resale premium. Others would rather not have it as the double label is seen as a marketing gimmick. Most Calatravas are slow sellers, so ADs should be willing to give you a good price on the watch.
Thanks for the information jon_jon. I am now definitely leaning toward the cleaner, Patek only branded dial.
s.m.b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 02:25 AM   #36
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Thanks for the information jon_jon. I am now definitely leaning toward the cleaner, Patek only branded dial.

In which case a discount from the AD should be in order (not so with Tiffany).

Good luck and look forward to the incoming.
Old 16 October 2017, 02:50 AM   #37
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I definitely wouldn’t consider cobranding a marketing gimmick. It’s been going on for decades without change. There’s a lot of history between the companies.
Old 16 October 2017, 03:02 AM   #38
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
I definitely wouldn’t consider cobranding a marketing gimmick. It’s been going on for decades without change. There’s a lot of history between the companies.
I agree. The history behind the Calatrava and the extended relationship between Patek Philippe and Tiffany & Co. is what led me to think the 5196 would lend itself well to a co-branded dial, and I still feel as though it does... That said, I am not sure I prefer the double stamped dial enough to pay list for the watch if the Patek only branded watch can be sourced for less.
Old 16 October 2017, 03:46 AM   #39
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. The history behind the Calatrava and the extended relationship between Patek Philippe and Tiffany & Co. is what led me to think the 5196 would lend itself well to a co-branded dial, and I still feel as though it does... That said, I am not sure I prefer the double stamped dial enough to pay list for the watch if the Patek only branded watch can be sourced for less.
I think with a purchase of this size it's more important to get what you really want than to save a few bucks. A year from now the extra cost will be long forgotten.

That said, I personally don't like the co-branding. Gimmick or not.

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2017, 03:51 AM   #40
remz07twos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with what Tony said, the cost difference after a year won’t matter. At 10% it’s literally $1/working hour. The 5196 does an amazing job of showcasing both brands without being unsightly on the dial (like the 5296).
Old 16 October 2017, 04:11 AM   #41
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
I think with a purchase of this size it's more important to get what you really want than to save a few bucks. A year from now the extra cost will be long forgotten.

That said, I personally don't like the co-branding. Gimmick or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remz07twos View Post
I agree with what Tony said, the cost difference after a year won’t matter. At 10% it’s literally $1/working hour. The 5196 does an amazing job of showcasing both brands without being unsightly on the dial (like the 5296).
Point taken! Seeing as I am a bit undecided and already leaning toward the cleaner dial, the 10% or so discount could be the deciding factor. If I were sure I really wanted the Tiffany stamp, I would be more than willing to pay the premium at Tiffany & Co. I appreciate your insights and opinions. Thanks!
Old 20 October 2017, 01:43 PM   #42
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Having decided I prefer the 5196G more without the Tiffany & Co. stamp, I contacted my local AD and made an inquiry regarding inventory. He didn't have one in the store but he contacted Patek on Monday and was told 2-6 weeks. The AD contacted me today and said my 5196G arrived today. I'm excited to say the least!
Old 20 October 2017, 01:52 PM   #43
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Having decided I prefer the 5196G more without the Tiffany & Co. stamp, I contacted my local and made an inquiry regarding inventory. He didn't have one in the store but he contacted Patek on Monday and was told 2-6 weeks. The AD contacted me today and said my 5196G arrived today. I'm excited to say he least!

Congrats in advance! Look forward to the pics.
Old 20 October 2017, 10:39 PM   #44
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I love it. Have the 5196G. Go for it, it seems these should be discontinued at some point with a 39mm case and larger movement offering a display back. The fact this one is 37mm and has a solid back is really stellar.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:10 AM   #45
rkot07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, DD, DJ II
Quote:
Having decided I prefer the 5196G more without the Tiffany & Co. stamp, I contacted my local AD and made an inquiry regarding inventory. He didn't have one in the store but he contacted Patek on Monday and was told 2-6 weeks. The AD contacted me today and said my 5196G arrived today. I'm excited to say the least!

Congratulations, can’t wait to see pictures. You won’t be disappointed it’s a excellent watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 12:13 AM   #46
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
I’m pretty sure Govberg carries it. Here is their website- www.wearecrooks.com
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 08:11 PM   #47
dumdeedum
"TRF" Member

I am looking at this exact watch. It looks beautiful and I think the 37mm size is perfect for a dress watch. How much of a discount can be expected for a production model such as this one in the US or in Geneva?
dumdeedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 11:11 AM   #48
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Man-o-man, my new 5196G will be arriving tomorrow morning.
Old 21 September 2019, 01:39 PM   #49
psv
"TRF" Member

Reviving this thread - thinking of picking up a 5196R (rose gold), and I’ve been offered a Tiffany one. Current retail is $22,680 + tax

With or without Tiffany?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 02:18 PM   #50
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Reviving this thread - thinking of picking up a 5196R (rose gold), and I’ve been offered a Tiffany one. Current retail is $22,680 + tax

With or without Tiffany?
I think the T stamp for a relatively "small" premium might be worth it especially if you're keeping it for the long haul.

I vote Tiffany for this one :)
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 05:13 PM   #51
Sveng
"TRF" Member

Calls to upsize this beautiful classic just make me shake my head. Please Patek, please don’t!
Sveng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 09:02 PM   #52
dmacintyre
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUK View Post
Love it!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
That would be all I’d need as a collection. Perfect.
dmacintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:23 AM   #53
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacintyre View Post
That would be all I’d need as a collection. Perfect.
You think it’s enough. But it’s Never enough
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 02:55 AM   #54
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Agreed.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 03:05 AM   #55
MadSpaniard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah we're all like addicts hanging around a crack house, "just one more hit and I promise I'll quit!"
MadSpaniard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 01:17 AM   #56
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I think the T stamp for a relatively "small" premium might be worth it especially if you're keeping it for the long haul.

I vote Tiffany for this one :)
One can get a mint 5196r for $16k-ish so it actually becomes about a 30% premium, but then again, you would have a brand new watch with the papers/warranty in your name, and a watch config that is very rare.

Am I talking myself into it? :-)
Old 29 September 2019, 01:26 AM   #57
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
One can get a mint 5196r for $16k-ish so it actually becomes about a 30% premium, but then again, you would have a brand new watch with the papers/warranty in your name, and a watch config that is very rare.

Am I talking myself into it? :-)
It truely is a great watch. One of the best belhaus designs out there. For 16k. It’s a good price. You should be able to negotiate slightly lower in this market.
Old 29 September 2019, 02:32 AM   #58
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It truely is a great watch. One of the best belhaus designs out there. For 16k. It’s a good price. You should be able to negotiate slightly lower in this market.
Right, which makes buying one at msrp + sales tax, with our without Tiffany stamp, even a taller order.

Even at a first glance, there are 102 5196’s available on Chrono24, 15 of those are rose gold.

Given how long this model has been in production, it is not scarce watch.

Finally, I love the simple early 1930-ies Bauhaus design - does adding an extra Tiffany stamp on the dial actually diminish the design?
Old 1 October 2019, 05:22 AM   #59
Tay821
"TRF" Member

Don't buy for "investment" purposes on this one. Buy b/c you want the stamp and what it stands for. IF you don't care about that then find and AD that will sell to you at ~20% off
Tay821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2019, 05:41 AM   #60
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Right, which makes buying one at msrp + sales tax, with our without Tiffany stamp, even a taller order.

Even at a first glance, there are 102 5196’s available on Chrono24, 15 of those are rose gold.

Given how long this model has been in production, it is not scarce watch.

Finally, I love the simple early 1930-ies Bauhaus design - does adding an extra Tiffany stamp on the dial actually diminish the design?
I think adding a t-stamp doesn't do anything but for my family. We are Tiffany fans. So adding a stamp for us is more of getting something that is special for us.