The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 November 2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Toby1
"TRF" Member

Panerai as a beater?

Not as bad as the title.

Newbie looking at buying a first Panerai watch. The one I am looking at is a Luminor, am I correct in thinking all luminor models have the crown lock? I believe from what I have read this aids water resistance?

There are a confusion of model types, but the one I am after will just have second hand and date. To get back to the thread I have a simple Seiko 5 at the moment I wear most of the time. I am after a 'better' watch I can wear for work with an enhanced presence, but not over the top.

The qualities I am after is to wear the watch basically 24 / 7 , in the sea / pool on holiday, and golf / low energy sports etc. Would the Panerai live like this? Not really bothered about picking up the odd scratch, and also planning to have it on a stainless bracelet for water purposes. Any advice before making the purchase would be appreciated.

Toby.
Toby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 08:03 PM   #2
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
If you dont mind not having seconds and no date 000 or 112 are great references. Simple, durable, movement serviceable by any watchmaker.

One on the right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Rushne
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Sounds to me like you just described the PAM 329. :)

Steel bracelet, date, seconds hand (power reserve on the back)

That is the more rounded 1950 Luminor case.

If you prefer the blockier Luminor case, then I think PAM104 is your option, but they do not have steel bracelets available in the old Luminor case. You will also then not have the sandwich dial.

The 329 should handle everything you throw at it though :)

Just a word from experience though... my first PAM was the 297 as it came on a steel bracelet, which is what I really preferred at the time. But I bought a leather strap with it as well. Landed up never using the bracelet. It is still brand new in the box right now haha.
So if you were to shift away from the bracelet requirement, then the PAM312 would be a good option for you as well :)

However, if you were to give up the bracelet AND date requirement and happy to step to a classic PAM, then the PAM 422 could be for you haha. It is however a 47mm. I only suggest it as it took me a good few years to find the 422 and its just lovely.

These are all just options to help you quickly narrow down what you want and love :)
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 08:20 PM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Unlike many brands, PAMs look better with scratches, so, wear it and forget it.

As for bracelets, don't limit yourself to bracelet models. Instead, wear rubber for water sports and get the PAM you want most. They are better on straps, anyway.

As for which PAM for you, given what you want it for ("24 / 7 , in the sea / pool on holiday, and golf / low energy sports etc."), I would focus on the ETA-based Luminors (000, 005, 104,
111, 112, 176, 177 etc) or 1950 Luminors (312, 320, etc). I would avoid the Due line and the newer Luminors with snap-on casebacks.

Good luck with your hunt!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 09:00 PM   #5
fai9al
"TRF" Member

I wear my 632 as my daily better and it has performed flawlessly!
fai9al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 09:02 PM   #6
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
You will be limited on metal bracelet options on some of the watches. I like the 328, which is a 312 on a bracelet. It can be changed up to wear a strap rather easily. Automatic movement, Luminor 1950 case, check the second hand market as Panerai's significantly depreciate from new. Buy complete box, papers and warranty card. Good luck on your quest.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 09:03 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm new to the brand, so my only comment would be that PAMS look best on straps. I wouldn't consider a bracelet, but that's just my preference ....

Carry on.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 09:19 PM   #8
Toby1
"TRF" Member

What about this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PANERAI-R...YAAOSwD5ZZ3TjB

Must be well waterproof (lost a Rolex Quartz to the sea ). So no snap case back.
Old 2 November 2017, 10:04 PM   #9
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
When I think beater , can’t help it but I think of a Rolex Submariner.
In the moment you say Panerai with bracelet, my thought was he is looking at the wrong brand.

Anyway if you want the Panerai as a beater, it can work. Just establish a budget and pick one, doesn’t matter which one, all you need is to add a rubber strap and presto. Panerai Submersible with a Titanium case would be high on the list of options .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 10:04 PM   #10
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Makes a great daily piece. Panerai are kind of like the Toyota Land Cruiser of watches. The scratches and wear just add character.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 10:44 PM   #11
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
You will be limited on metal bracelet options on some of the watches. I like the 328, which is a 312 on a bracelet. It can be changed up to wear a strap rather easily. Automatic movement, Luminor 1950 case, check the second hand market as Panerai's significantly depreciate from new. Buy complete box, papers and warranty card. Good luck on your quest.
^^^^have had mine for 7 years, wear it on a bacelet or strap, great watch

been around the world a few times

good luck

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 07:29 PM   #12
Toby1
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the answers - much appreciated.

This is my revised Panerai wishlist. Waterproof, automatic, 40mm ish, will take bracelet as well as a strap. Shows seconds and has a date window.

So many models, but does the 1950's range fit this?

Toby
Old 3 November 2017, 08:08 PM   #13
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

just to add, I think they look better on strap. I put mine on the rubber for holiday, leather everyday and the original ltd edition for special occasions
Old 3 November 2017, 08:49 PM   #14
Mick8moses
"TRF" Member

I think the panerai would make a great daily wear watch. And I echo everyone's sentiments that they really look best on straps. You really want to do at least 44mm and sandwich dial is gorgeous maybe 351 if you need date?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mick8moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 05:38 AM   #15
onefastsicilian
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJii
Since I have two, i wear one as my daily and keep the other in practically new condition. they're super comfortable with the rubber strap.
onefastsicilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 10:08 AM   #16
itsjknight
"TRF" Member

I like the 560 since it has an in-house 8 day movement. I wear mine on the rubber strap all summer long then switch to my leather straps in the winter.
itsjknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Preeble
"TRF" Member

The 590 is a great every day watch. I also used to have an 88 as a daily wearer too - it had date and gmt functions, which was useful. Another recommendation is a sub like the 24.
Misc: Omega SMP 2296.80.00, Kobold Seal Tactical, B&R BR02, C&S Buceador
Preeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 11:22 PM   #18
direwolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Is that a picture of the new 1320? Looks great.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2017, 09:44 AM   #19
ecdc
"TRF" Member

I wore my 61D (titanium case, hour/minute/second hands, Luminor case with the crown guard) for 10 years as my 24/7 watch. Good leather straps are waterproof, and I scuba dove and ran half marathons with it on leather, on rubber, and on fabric NATO. That model, in SS or Ti, is the quintessential Panerai. You could do much, much worse. I still have it, but wear Rolex more these days. No real reason other than newer watches get more wrist time. The
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 11:07 AM   #20
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16333
After my recent experience of my 388 getting a little ding and stopping working (and sending it in, etc - being told the dial moved slightly which caused it to stop running) I just wear it to work and am careful when it’s on my wrist. I take it off when I’m home and strap on the Steinhart to wear around as my beater. I love Panerai and this was my first one, but it spooked me at how easily it got damaged from what (to me) was a normal ding. My steinhart has taken tons of bumps, etc and has never had a problem. Wish my Panerai wasn’t so delicate :(
A.D. Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2017, 11:58 AM   #21
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Panerai is too nice and expensive for a beater! Stick with a G-Shock that you can drop off a building or boil in hot water without damaging!