The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 April 2024, 06:18 PM   #1
Vasco
"TRF" Member

2024 - a few additional information

Hi, I thought I would post a few details from the new release.

The new 5330 (as with the Tokyo edition) has a synchronised date with the local time (first for a WT).

Furthermore, the warranty for new watches is extended to 5 years.

The compliance is now -1/+2 seconds /24h (which was only available for the 5650G). It's Tourbillon level accuracy.

Patek launches diversified, sometimes complex to craft, cases regularly. The movements are evolving and all been replaced with evolutions about timekeeping and reliability instead of show-off complexity. And the Rare Handcrafts. I don't see much of such efforts in this field.

We don't have to like all the models but we can't say it's not Patek. The brand evolves as it did in 1976 (Nautilus), 2006 (new Nautilus), the 5070 and so on... Let's just hope we can all find a piece we love.

From presskit:

All watches equipped with a Spiromax® balance spring in Silinvar® or a traditional Breguet balance spring must therefore comply with a tight tolerance range of -1 and +2 seconds per 24 hours –an advance made possible by the perfectly concentric development of the Spiromax® balance spring and the progress in precision timing achieved by Patek Philippe.

Unified criteria for water-resistance
To ensure the homogeneity and clarity of the information provided to clients, Patek Philippe has decided to introduce a new unified standard of water-resistance set at 30 meters for all watches certified as water-resistant – having been tested in air and underwater by immersion at an overpressure of 3 bars (corresponding to a depth of 30 m). This measure makes it possible to guarantee the same performance level across all the models concerned and to provide perfectly comprehensible information as to the day-to-day activities in which clients can engage while wearing their watch: washing their hands, showering, bathing, swimming and other aquatic activities, including diving to a depth of 30 m – which corresponds in large measure to actual utilization.

An international 5-year warranty for new watches
The Watches and Wonders Geneva 2024 is also the occasion for Patek Philippe to announce an evolution with regard to the international warranty. For all new Patek Philippe watches sold as from May 1 2024, the duration of this warranty increases from two years to five years, counting from the date of purchase. In addition to this new advantage for the customer, it is important to remember that the Directives of the Patek Philippe Seal already contain a pledge by the International Customer Service network to service, repair or restore every watch produced by the manufacture since its foundation in 1839. In sum, everything is in place to ensure the long-term reliability of these timepieces, designed and built to be handed down to future generations.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 06:22 PM   #2
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Thanks for sharing! The new 5-year warranty is great.

For the -1/+2 seconds /24h, is it only applicable to 5650 or for all new Pateks? Rolex is +-2s
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 06:28 PM   #3
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
For the -1/+2 seconds /24h, is it only applicable to 5650 or on all new Pateks? Rolex is +-2s
I understand it's applicable to all now. Back then, I remember the 5650 was the first one to have that level of accuracy (aside of Tourbillon pieces). That's why I was mentionning it :)

I guess that, like the first Silinvar version that was first introduced in the Advanced Research models before going into the regular collections, the modified version introduced in the 5650 (https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/) is now available in the regular models.
Old 9 April 2024, 06:48 PM   #4
Audevache
"TRF" Member

The 5 year warranty was overdue, both Vacheron and AP have had it for a while now, with VC even extending to 8 years.

No match yet for the amazing AP Coverage service though.
Audevache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 07:45 PM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I understand it's applicable to all now. Back then, I remember the 5650 was the first one to have that level of accuracy (aside of Tourbillon pieces). That's why I was mentionning it :)

I guess that, like the first Silinvar version that was first introduced in the Advanced Research models before going into the regular collections, the modified version introduced in the 5650 (https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...-and-pictures/) is now available in the regular models.
Thanks. It now trumps Rolex's accuracy
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:02 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To ensure the homogeneity and clarity of the information provided to clients, Patek Philippe has decided to introduce a new unified standard of water-resistance set at 30 meters for all watches certified as water-resistant – having been tested in air and underwater by immersion at an overpressure of 3 bars (corresponding to a depth of 30 m). This measure makes it possible to guarantee the same performance level across all the models concerned and to provide perfectly comprehensible information as to the day-to-day activities in which clients can engage while wearing their watch: washing their hands, showering, bathing, swimming and other aquatic activities, including diving to a depth of 30 m – which corresponds in large measure to actual utilization.
This feels like an April's fools joke to me, I am sorry.

Not going to take a 5711 down to 120m but I am just as happy that it is 120m rated as I am happy that my 3998 is rated to a lot less.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 08:08 PM   #7
dlmocdm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is very confusing. The entire Nautilus collection (5811, 5712, 5726, 5980, 5990) and Aquanaut collection (5167, 5168, 5164, 5968) are now rated to 30m of water resistance. But so are complications such as the 5396, 5025, 5172, 5935, etc.

Previously, some Nautilus were rated to 120m whereas complications were usually 30m. Now everything is 30m. Yet it is nonsensical that a 5811 or 5167 may have the same water resistance as a 5396.
dlmocdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 09:40 PM   #8
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, I thought I would post a few details from the new release.

The new 5330 (as with the Tokyo edition) has a synchronised date with the local time (first for a WT).

Furthermore, the warranty for new watches is extended to 5 years.

The compliance is now -1/+2 seconds /24h (which was only available for the 5650G). It's Tourbillon level accuracy.

Patek launches diversified, sometimes complex to craft, cases regularly. The movements are evolving and all been replaced with evolutions about timekeeping and reliability instead of show-off complexity. And the Rare Handcrafts. I don't see much of such efforts in this field.

We don't have to like all the models but we can't say it's not Patek. The brand evolves as it did in 1976 (Nautilus), 2006 (new Nautilus), the 5070 and so on... Let's just hope we can all find a piece we love.

From presskit:

All watches equipped with a Spiromax balance spring in Silinvar or a traditional Breguet balance spring must therefore comply with a tight tolerance range of -1 and +2 seconds per 24 hours –an advance made possible by the perfectly concentric development of the Spiromax balance spring and the progress in precision timing achieved by Patek Philippe.

An international 5-year warranty for new watches
The Watches and Wonders Geneva 2024 is also the occasion for Patek Philippe to announce an evolution with regard to the international warranty. For all new Patek Philippe watches sold as from May 1 2024, the duration of this warranty increases from two years to five years, counting from the date of purchase. In addition to this new advantage for the customer, it is important to remember that the Directives of the Patek Philippe Seal already contain a pledge by the International Customer Service network to service, repair or restore every watch produced by the manufacture since its foundation in 1839. In sum, everything is in place to ensure the long-term reliability of these timepieces, designed and built to be handed down to future generations.

Thanks for sharing. The 30m water resistance seems to be more stringent and is dive certified? That would for once be a truly honest evaluation of WR as opposed to pressure based resistance. Kudos to PP if that's true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 09:51 PM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Seems weird though that watches that just yesterday were considered 120m are now 30m? Does that also mean dress watches they consider swimmable now? I guess my concern is my nautilus tested at only 70m after a few years. Are the gaskets all the same just the testing method is different?
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 10:41 PM   #10
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

I have never understood 3 bar to mean diving to a depth of 30m. Does this mean I can now dive with my previously 5 bar rated nautilus?
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 11:17 PM   #11
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Brilliant: 30m now equals 30m… no more inferences and guesses as to the nominal vs real water resistance.. however, that means that no Pateks are dive watches which if fine I guess
vliberman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2024, 11:19 PM   #12
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I guess the just decided no one was diving with a nautilus or aquanaut anyway, but it really seems weird my 12 bar aquanaut really has been 3 bar all along and that that is somehow better.

And does that mean I now can dive in a 5205? Really weird.

The warranty is nice, for new watches. I thought other brands when they extended usually grandfathered folks that bought within the previous period—although maybe that was just a Richemont thing with the warrant extension program.
Bmats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:05 AM   #13
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
Downright weird!
As an Aquanaut lover this feel odd and a step backward.
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 12:38 AM   #14
vliberman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworldies View Post
Downright weird!
As an Aquanaut lover this feel odd and a step backward.
Why? Your watch was never good for 120m diving, now u know. Isn’t knowing better than not (in case u decide to dive with that thing).
vliberman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 01:29 AM   #15
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I think it's good in terms of clarification as previous 30m, 120m captions (all brands included) didn't seem to really mean what it was supposed to mean.

However, I have difficulties in believing that a previously 120m watch is now lower to the extent of a "real" 30m one (or it means the previous system was totally inaccurate). Or does it mean that previous 120 caption is equal to "real" 30m?

But then, I have difficulty to believe that a 5711 equals (and doesn't exceed) a 5204/5270 in terms of water-resistance?

I'll ask my Salon for details.
Old 10 April 2024, 01:56 AM   #16
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I appreciate very much those brands who make such efforts for something that is useful (accuracy). Patek's communication is never loud about those ongoing improvements. It was the same when the 26-330 was unveiled and the 29-535's evolutions were also of that sort, simple, useful. When the 5650 went out, everyone was talking about the dial aperture but not the accuracy evolution. Not much was told about the bending features, which was used again in the 5470P (even if I'm not sure I like pinions and levers to be replaced as it's core to traditional watchmaking as I see it).
Old 10 April 2024, 01:34 PM   #17
nhoangtam
"TRF" Member

I'm really hoping Patek would extend the 5 year warranty to previous year owner as I would hate to miss out the additional 3 years.
nhoangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 03:22 PM   #18
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
in theory.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:55 PM   #19
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vliberman View Post
Why? Your watch was never good for 120m diving, now u know. Isn’t knowing better than not (in case u decide to dive with that thing).
I certainly won't praise Patek for clarifying that some of their sports watches can be taken down to a true 30m when they were rated 120m two days ago. If the new true number they now stand behind was 60m or more I might have opined differently, but going from 120m to 30m is a bad look.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 12:19 AM   #20
Vasco
"TRF" Member

How I see this, we don't seem to know really what the real resistance meant in the past (30m, 120m, etc). Did 30 meant 25? Did 120 meant 55?115?150?. Over the years, I've seen as many strong opinions as there are owners.

I don't even know where this evaluation/standards come from, it doesn't seem unified. We don't know in which conditions they are fixed before certification. It seemed it even changes from a brand to the other (Patek isn't the only one concerned by this issue).

And we don't know what the new Patek interpretation really is (e.g. 5370 = 5711 seems odd).

But we are pretty sure the design of those watches didn't change.

I guess Patek's aim was to bring a clearer information. When you don't know about watches and you enter a boutique, you just think that 30m means 30m. But it seems it's not... Trying to bring a solution seems legitimate.

And what would be Patek's interest to change it to mislead people. Why changing something to makeit worse? What would they get in doing this?

I've had a look a the silly (nasty?) discussions on the other thread, getting nowhere as we don't know. I'd like to have more information before judging.
Old 14 April 2024, 06:35 AM   #21
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

My AD informed me the 5-year warranty will be honored since May 1st 2023. Confirmed 100%.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 06:52 AM   #22
nhoangtam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
My AD informed me the 5-year warranty will be honored since May 1st 2023. Confirmed 100%.
That is very good to know. Thanks for confirming that. I wonder if we have to do anything on our end to extend the warranty or is it automatic? With VC, I had to fill out something online for it to extend. I guess more information will come later.
nhoangtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 06:55 AM   #23
HMHM
"TRF" Member

So are Patek going to send new warranty papers to those who bought pieces from previous years? Or how do owners confirm that pieces from 2023 have the 5 year warranty?
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 07:22 AM   #24
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
So are Patek going to send new warranty papers to those who bought pieces from previous years? Or how do owners confirm that pieces from 2023 have the 5 year warranty?

I’d just ask the AD you bought it from - I’m sure it will be announced soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote