The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 July 2020, 10:36 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Oris Aquis Date Green review

All of the following is my opinion and items stated as facts are derived from either my memory or disreputable web sites. So that's my disclosure, warning and disclaimer, all together. Pics are mine and apologies in advance.

The Oris Aquis comes in both a 44mm (43.5) and 40mm (39.5) size. I prefer and bought the smaller of the two, although they are otherwise effectively the same. Available with a bracelet (as I prefer) or strap, the watch is well priced and generally available for less than MSRP. They both use the 26 Jewel Oris calibre 733 automatic movement, based upon the Sellita SW200-1. My experience with the watch is that it keeps good time. I have not measured it, but haven't found a need to (i.e. it's not obviously fast or slow).

The picture, unfortunately, due to a lack of photographic skill, does not properly demonstrate the hue of the green. It is not as dull as it appears. Neither is it quite as bright and distinctive as the Rolex Submariner "Hulk" 116610LV. However, unlike the LV, you can easily purchase and own the Oris. Like the LV it has a "sunburst" dial and ceramic bezel.

Continues in next post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3902.jpg (187.4 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3904.jpg (214.6 KB, 158 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 10:39 PM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

The bracelet is very nice, comfortable and easily adjustable with screws holding in the removable links. The clasp is a sturdy solid stainless steel. They use a combination of polished and brushed finishes like so many other watch manufacturers do, and it is a handsome piece. I am a hairy orangutan, and I have no issues with the bracelet pulling hairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3906.jpg (135.2 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3894.jpg (158.5 KB, 151 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 9 July 2020, 10:41 PM   #3
m j b
"TRF" Member

Little features such as the crown guard are nicely done, and along with the rather thick case give the watch a large presence despite its rather small (by today's standards) size.

It is not a heavy watch despite the appearance of being hewn from a large piece of steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3896 Crown.jpg (137.6 KB, 147 views)

Old 9 July 2020, 10:43 PM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

The bezel turns with a satisfying click, nothing cheap here either. The face is covered by
a sapphire crystal, as is the display back, giving you a look at the distinctive Oris rotor and the very nice looking movement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3908.jpg (172.6 KB, 146 views)

Old 9 July 2020, 10:49 PM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

As I mentioned above, the bracelet and case are a combination of polished and brushed finishes. The case is very nicely done, with crisp edges and a very high quality finish.

Although this watch (also available in black and blue) does ride along the popularity wave started by the Rolex LV, it is distinctive enough and unique enough to avoid being referred to as a homage or even a blatant rip-off. Rather, it's another Swiss watch taking advantage of modern materials, producing a scratch resistant and very attractive ceramic bezel on a stainless steel case with a sunburst dial that provides Swiss quality at an affordable price point.

And it's a real diver's watch, with a screw-in crown and capable of pressures far beyond what any casual diver would require. With a 38 hour power reserve, it's one that you can easily put into your watch rotation and let it sit for a day between wearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3896.jpg (128.7 KB, 150 views)

Old 10 July 2020, 03:23 AM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

Maybe a slightly better picture... still didn't quite capture the color quite right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (172.1 KB, 148 views)

Old 15 July 2020, 01:40 PM   #7
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Very nice - I had the old version in black, which I enjoyed very much. I wish they would lume the bezel numbers - perhaps when the next upgrade comes around.