The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 July 2020, 03:56 AM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Omega Seamaster 300M

Reviewed here, the newest (released in 2018) Seamaster 300M dive watch from Omega. Model number 210.30.42.20.03.001 referred to by Omega as the DIVER 300M OMEGA CO‑AXIAL MASTER CHRONOMETER 42 MM.

All pics are mine. Apologies in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (267.7 KB, 694 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 04:09 AM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

People have many complaints about this watch. I happen to like most of the elements that folks complain about. The hands. The bracelet. The face. The release valve. OK, that one I could change. It's not only a bit large, but the conical shape doesn't do the watch any favors.

So, the earlier edition of this watch had a flat face and the date at 3 o'clock. It was also a smidgen smaller at 40mm and wore much better. But it also had (IIRC) an ETA movement, whereas this one has the Omega Master Chronometer Calibre 8800 which is generally a highly regarded and very accurate movement.

This latest edition also goes back to the wave motif face, which is laser engraved on a piece of polished ceramic. The bezel is also ceramic, and between that and the sapphire face, the watch is fairly resistant to damage. I've had this example for over a year, and you can likely see some light surface scratching on the polished areas. I wear my watches.

The hands are a bit large and some don't like the skeleton design, but I find them extremely easy to see, and for me, an important function of a watch is to be able to tell the time. Both the hands and raised indexes are rhodium-plated, filled with white Super-LumiNova that interestingly is blue everywhere except the minute hand and 12 o'clock pip on the bezel, which are both green. It makes for a subtle but interesting distinction.

I especially like how high the indexes are raised, presenting an interesting profile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (240.5 KB, 673 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (157.5 KB, 667 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 11 July 2020, 04:18 AM   #3
m j b
"TRF" Member

Note too on the case how there are polished and brushed areas. Almost the opposite of the Rolex Submariner, the top is largely polished and the sides are brushed. It's a great look.

Also often criticized by those who don't like anything, is the bracelet. It has both polished and brushed elements. Look closely and you'll see that most of it is brushed, but those tiny links inside are polished. I like it, I think it's interesting and gives a unique look. Perhaps it's a bit busy.

Another great feature available in this model is the adjustable clasp, which can be moved by simply pressing down on the section marked "PUSH".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (203.8 KB, 667 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (289.8 KB, 669 views)

Old 11 July 2020, 04:29 AM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

The back is a sapphire displaying the handsome movement, largely concealed by the rotor. I never really understood the display back, since you have to take off the watch to see it, but since it's there, hey, it's kind of neat.

The Seamaster comes in nearly as many variations as the Omega Speedmaster. Once they get a marketable name, they just pile on. This particular model is available in 24 different configurations with the blue as shown, probably the most recognizable and most common, and in black and grey dials. The stainless steel model has an MSRP of $5200 US but obtaining a 10% discount at an AD is generally doable. There are slightly less expensive options with rubber straps.

As for that movement, direct from the Omega website, since I'm not technically proficient in details: Self-winding movement with Co-Axial escapement. Certified Master Chronometer, approved by METAS, resistant to magnetic fields reaching 15,000 gauss. Free sprung-balance with silicon balance spring, automatic winding in both directions. Rhodium plated finish with Geneva waves in arabesque.

Summary: for me, this is a large watch, as I have small wrists. However, I love the feel and the look. It is a heavy watch, heavier still with the stainless steel bracelet, but it doesn't pull on the arm hairs and you can wear it all day long without discomfort. It keeps good time, it is instantly recognizable as an Omega, and there are enough of them out there that you can easily buy it new or used.

Omega has been raising retail prices over the past few years, which has helped to stabilize the used market pricing. Internet lore is that they are also working to reduce the number of grey dealers, thereby supporting their authorized retailers and boutiques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200117_082051 smaller.jpg (191.7 KB, 661 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (288.8 KB, 661 views)

Old 17 July 2020, 11:24 AM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Beautiful watch, hope you enjoy it.
Years ago I bought a Planet Ocean, also a great watch, but I always look at the 300 and think 'what if...'
Old 22 July 2020, 11:55 AM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Greaet review, although perhaps ask the mods to move it to the Omega sub-forum?
Old 22 July 2020, 08:41 PM   #7
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Greaet review, although perhaps ask the mods to move it to the Omega sub-forum?
Thanks. I think we're in the correct forum.

Old 11 July 2021, 03:27 AM   #8
WatchLuxe
"TRF" Member

That watch is always appropriate. I need one!
WatchLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2021, 11:01 AM   #9
sakolander
"TRF" Member

Just got the Sedna gold version a few months ago...
This is a fine watch....yes, a bit heavy but that is because it is a solid watch!!
Attractive, well made, NICE bracelet AND you can get a good discount!!!
sakolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2021, 07:38 PM   #10
watchrocker
Banned

Watch: Daytona
Thanks for the review
watchrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 05:28 AM   #11
Dietzster
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them, lol.
Thanks!
Dietzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2023, 11:46 PM   #12
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I also have the 300m in Blue and love everything about it. I just bought a OEM blue rubber strap for it to change it up a bit. My favorite watch.
2thdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2023, 04:13 PM   #13
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
great review. i find it to be my goto watch. it's handsome, presentable yet very tough. uniquely omega
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2023, 09:17 PM   #14
Laila_21
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this review
Laila_21 is offline   Reply With Quote