The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Trog
Banned

My $1000 watch battery replacement

Back many moons ago when I wore a suit to work and attended many formal events, I purchased a nice gold Omega Deville to compliment my attire.

Fast forward 30 years, I now find myself retired, in jeans, and the only formal events I attend tend to be at Starbucks. I still have the watch, but it’s never (or rarely) worn.

But as with all Quartz watches, the battery still needs to be replaced regularly. So, every couple of years I would head to my AD, plonk down $50-bucks (ouch), and have the battery replaced.

But this year was going to be different. I decided that it was time to learn how to change a watch battery. How hard can it be?

So, I watch a few YouTube vids explaining how to remove a press-fit back and proceed carefully. With dull knife in hand, I twist the back, and with a satisfying ‘pop’, the back separates from the case. COOL!!

I examine the battery, note the model number, and order a bunch from Amazon. Didn’t take long for the replacement battery to arrive.

So, with great care, I remove the depleted battery from the case, and install a fresh one. Flip the watch over, and am pleased to see that it’s working fine.

Next, time to pop the case back back on. Well, that wasn’t going to be easy. No amount of fiddling and squeezing was going to get that back fitted.

So back to YouTube where I learn that I’m going to need a ‘press’. Again, I find myself on Amazon where I order up a watch-press for $20-bucks c/w an assortment of dies. EXCELLENT!!

Two days later I have the press in hand..so I get to work.
I select the appropriate dies for the case and back then place the watch into position. Gently, I press down on the handle listening for the satisfying ‘snap’ of the back as it returns to its proper place.

I press, press, press…and then…CRACK!!!!!

Oh no..what have I done?!!!

I slowly remove the watch from the press only to find shards of glass, mangled watch hands, a snapped crown, and dented dial. SHITE!!!!!

I’m guessing the watch case slid out of position with disastrous results.

I proceed to dismantle the watch, remove the balance of the busted crystal, and put it all in a baggie.

The next day I headed to the local scrap gold shop where they gave me $3000 for the gold value…which was $1000 less than I was offered for the watch last year.

Expensive lesson learned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DV2.jpg (56.1 KB, 315 views)
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 09:28 AM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Back many moons ago when I wore a suit to work and attended many formal events, I purchased a nice gold Omega Deville to compliment my attire.

Fast forward 30 years, I now find myself retired, in jeans, and the only formal events I attend tend to be at Starbucks. I still have the watch, but it’s never (or rarely) worn.

But as with all Quartz watches, the battery still needs to be replaced regularly. So, every couple of years I would head to my AD, plonk down $50-bucks (ouch), and have the battery replaced.

But this year was going to be different. I decided that it was time to learn how to change a watch battery. How hard can it be?

So, I watch a few YouTube vids explaining how to remove a press-fit back and proceed carefully. With dull knife in hand, I twist the back, and with a satisfying ‘pop’, the back separates from the case. COOL!!

I examine the battery, note the model number, and order a bunch from Amazon. Didn’t take long for the replacement battery to arrive.

So, with great care, I remove the depleted battery from the case, and install a fresh one. Flip the watch over, and am pleased to see that it’s working fine.

Next, time to pop the case back back on. Well, that wasn’t going to be easy. No amount of fiddling and squeezing was going to get that back fitted.

So back to YouTube where I learn that I’m going to need a ‘press’. Again, I find myself on Amazon where I order up a watch-press for $20-bucks c/w an assortment of dies. EXCELLENT!!

Two days later I have the press in hand..so I get to work.
I select the appropriate dies for the case and back then place the watch into position. Gently, I press down on the handle listening for the satisfying ‘snap’ of the back as it returns to its proper place.

I press, press, press…and then…CRACK!!!!!

Oh no..what have I done?!!!

I slowly remove the watch from the press only to find shards of glass, mangled watch hands, a snapped crown, and dented dial. SHITE!!!!!

I’m guessing the watch case slid out of position with disastrous results.

I proceed to dismantle the watch, remove the balance of the busted crystal, and put it all in a baggie.

The next day I headed to the local scrap gold shop where they gave me $3000 for the gold value…which was $1000 less than I was offered for the watch last year.

Expensive lesson learned.

Take it to Omega and ask them how much to service and fix?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 09:51 AM   #3
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Oh that's terrible. Sounds like something that would happen to me.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 10:18 AM   #4
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all ;)
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 07:34 PM   #5
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKizzy View Post
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all ;)
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 09:03 PM   #6
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Oh well.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2020, 11:03 PM   #7
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Oh man, that’s terrible. Why didn’t you find out how much it would cost to replace the crystal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 12:35 AM   #8
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
That’s terribly sad. Sorry to hear your story.
I too did something similar with a Seiko thin gold tone quartz about 20 years ago. Actually bent a lug and dial. I still have the watch.
Fast forward to just five months ago when I saw the same Watch on eBay. Bought it, installed my original, band, and was immediately transported back in time - when I used to have hair... It is good to have my old friend around again.
You may have similar feelings and find an exact replacement to fill the void.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 02:56 AM   #9
Undefeatable
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Oh man, that’s terrible. Why didn’t you find out how much it would cost to replace the crystal?

"I slowly remove the watch from the press only to find shards of glass, mangled watch hands, a snapped crown, and dented dial."

It would have cost more than the watch is worth to fix all those things. It sucks but in the long term, I think the OP did the most cost effective thing. Assuming it was worth $4,000 and he got $3,000 from a shop due to the gold, I dont think anyone would have purchased that for near $3,000.
Sucky situation for sure but at least there was value in the gold! If it was steel, would be left with a case and movement to sell haha.
Undefeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 04:11 AM   #10
Trog
Banned

I appreciate all your sympathies and suggestions. But the watch is now gone.

I never had any emotional value attached to this watch..it was just the right watch for the time.

I'm taking the proceeds of the scrap-gold sale and putting it towards the new Speedmaster Ed-White 321 edition.....(which I've been patiently waiting for).

Some might say that this is my second bad watch decision. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

With hope, I'll have a more uplifting 'Incoming' story to share soon.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 04:34 AM   #11
archaeoastro621
"TRF" Member

That's the spirit-share the lesson learned and then face forward!

You have probably just spared a bunch of us from "how hard can it be?" mistakes. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
archaeoastro621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 04:51 AM   #12
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
I appreciate all your sympathies and suggestions. But the watch is now gone.

Sad end to a beautiful watch.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 05:07 AM   #13
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Nice replacement!

That Speedmaster Ed-White 321 edition looks awesome! I am sure you will like it a lot more than the other watch. Will look forward to your incoming!
Auto16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2020, 06:09 AM   #14
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Ouch.
Old 28 July 2020, 06:24 AM   #15
KBM

Sorry to hear. Here's to hoping the new speedy fills the void and is enjoyed for many years.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote